Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It was a mosquito that loved annoying people and had trained hard at annoying people so that it could annoy even the strongest and most impervious of people. 100 blood sucks, 100 buzzes in a hard to find place, 100 times landing on the same spot over and over again no matter how much the victim swatted you and a 10 km flight. Ever day. No exceptions. Thus he gained the power of comedic irony and could stand up to even the most powerful of opponents at least long enough to annoy the living hell out of them.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It was a funny joke because he's strong but not being able to catch a mosquito makes him relatable to normal people like us.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The joke is that he just got done saying "I feel no joy, no anger, no excitement" and then like 30 seconds later he is visibly furious that he can't squish a mosquito

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If only he'd trained to become One Slap Man.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Bad Seafood posted:

If only he'd trained to become One Slap Man.

But he's good at that too.

http://www.mangareader.net/onepunch-man/6/23

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The anime really did improve that scene, she didn't even destroy the building. She just turned into a cloud of blood because gently caress mosquitoes.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
In my mind blast is secretly Mumen Rider, he just pretends he is weak to show heroes the true way of a hero

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Does any site have all the versions of the chapters that Murata has done? I seem to remember liking v1 of the sea king finale just a little bit better than the re-redraw.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

sharktamer posted:

Does any site have all the versions of the chapters that Murata has done? I seem to remember liking v1 of the sea king finale just a little bit better than the re-redraw.

Not sure what the rules for :filez: on this are.

But Spectrum Nexus has all the versions (or a lot of them) last I checked.

I'll remove that if the mods want me to.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

In this case it's less of a moral gray area than usual since both ONE and Murata's versions are available for free online as webcomics, so yeah, no harm no foul.

Still hoping everybody in this thread buys the physical volumes as they become available though.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I got the first three volumes and the next two are preordered. I plan to use them to get a few people into it that don't like reading comics online because they hate convenience or something (I have weird friends).

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bad Seafood posted:

In this case it's less of a moral gray area than usual since both ONE and Murata's versions are available for free online as webcomics, so yeah, no harm no foul.

Still hoping everybody in this thread buys the physical volumes as they become available though.

Already got the first two and planning to go for the next ones as soon as the time comes. I stopped going as much because my bookshelf overfilled themselves though. Still debating what mangas to put in "second row" to fit more.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Just to cut this conversation off that the pass, nobody needs to furnish proof or anything.

I'm just saying support the series you love. Gentlemen's agreement.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Brightman posted:

Might be funny if by the time they actually call in Blast, assuming he's an actual person they know about and not Saitama unbeknownst to them, he's so rusty from not fighting for so long they just end up jobbing really hard right before Saitama shows up and flicks the threat in the face causing it to explode into a blood mist.

So, what happens in every shounen ever?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Blast doesn't exist but is just there to keep the S rankers from getting too full of themselves. Also I can't wait for Handsomely Masked Sweet Masked's face turn and to join Saitama's crew.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I hope Blast is real and super cool but also not as strong as Saitama.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

I personally won't buy them buy other merchandise I might buy. I hope they release some cool posters or the Oppai jumpers

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Bad Seafood posted:

Just to cut this conversation off that the pass, nobody needs to furnish proof or anything.

I'm just saying support the series you love. Gentlemen's agreement.

Just lamenting my bookshelf woes out loud.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

I've been waiting for the physical volumes to come out for years, so I can finally start introducing others to the series.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Just lamenting my bookshelf woes out loud.
It's cool.

I just didn't need a line of like ten people going "I bought it!"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Davinci posted:

I hope Blast is real and super cool but also not as strong as Saitama.

Maybe he was the one foretold to Boros? Prophecies obviously can predict some stuff, like monsters, but they might not be able to see Saitama.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Maybe he was the one foretold to Boros? Prophecies obviously can predict some stuff, like monsters, but they might not be able to see Saitama.

I assumed the seer was actually tricking boros - just instead of totally making it up, the seer had the prophecy 'here is the one dude that can beat you' and told Boros 'here is the one dude that can challenge you'

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Sweet Mask is blast.

I have no further theory nor proof to add, just throwing it out there.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
You were Blast all along!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Bad Seafood posted:

Is the whole thing available in English? In Japanese you can only get a few chapters, the oldest and the newest, and everything in between is "buy the manga."

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

tsob posted:

Nothing, because they cancel each other out. Which will be the moment of ultimate pathos for the manga, since both Saitama and Blast will assume they've finally found someone worthy of fighting and capable of giving them some excitement only to discover that they are in fact too evenly matched and thus can't get anything out of a fight even with each other. They'll go get drunk together afterwards instead. Genos picks up the tab.

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I assumed the seer was actually tricking boros - just instead of totally making it up, the seer had the prophecy 'here is the one dude that can beat you' and told Boros 'here is the one dude that can challenge you'

His followers thought that he was tricked so he'd just gently caress off to the rear end-end of the universe for like 40 years, but this is also possible yeah.

Either that, or it was meant to be Garou and Saitama was a total wildcard.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That's badass and it's great to see other heroes not being all talk as well.

The one thing I don't get doesn't really have anything to do with the way the picture is drawn though. What's up with the ring in the sword?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RareAcumen posted:

The one thing I don't get doesn't really have anything to do with the way the picture is drawn though. What's up with the ring in the sword?

It's a Chinese sword thing, no clue what it means or what purpose it has but it's one of the visual signifiers to say 'this is a Chinese sword'.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Prolly just to, you know, hang it up.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
The jangling sound of a ringed sword drives ghosts away. Also you can catch things in the rings, if you're the protagonist and the fight choreographer is on your side.

Mostly they look rad.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Plus the Green Destiny can slice all those rings off and it'll look cool as hell.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

these are all acceptable answers to the "what is up with those weird chinese swords with rings" question

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
So on all the talk about who Blast is, wasn't it mentioned at some point that Bang is Blast's (little?) brother? I can't remember when it might have been mentioned, or why I think it, but I could have sworn it came up. I remember it because of the pun progression on the names.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

But who is swinging the sword??

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

El Burbo posted:

But who is swinging the sword??

The sword is swinging itself.

It's a monster with the disaster level of Demon.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

drat. That's a good answer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I watched so many Chinese martial arts movies I became a Chinese sword!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

If you destroy the sword the Ancient Dragon King inside is released and they have to up the threat level again.

Or make a wish. I forget how anime works.