Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

TVDinna posted:

Me too, I really like the catapult design for some reason. Maybe because I'm super bad at this game and really like LRMs.
Wish I could LRM all day :c

if you really want to LRM, the way to go is the Hunchback-4J. Got a slight nerf with the PTS but it's still good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
What's the mumble info? IGN is Weedgoku Bonerhitler, just got invited in!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Nuebot posted:

What's the mumble info? IGN is Weedgoku Bonerhitler, just got invited in!

It's in the WoL MotD -- check the Unit Chat window.

Sgt. Rapeslaughter
Mar 12, 2003

(work safe lol lol)
logged in for the first time in forever. Ran my Brofist Atlas, Raven-3L, Marmoset. Pretty much all of them seemed waaaaay different from how they used to play. Add SauseBaus in game so you can learn me on what the meta has become. I still live in the era of gauss rifles.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Love Stole the Day posted:

It's in the WoL MotD -- check the Unit Chat window.

MotD doesn't show up for me, I guess it will if I relog. Thanks.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

if you really want to LRM, the way to go is the Hunchback-4J. Got a slight nerf with the PTS but it's still good

Oh, I have a bunch of LRM mechs, I usually don't because LRMs are bad and I'd only do it if I was pubbing or if we were running poo poo builds.

LRMs are actually pretty decent if the user can identify the hide spots that aren't worth firing at, hang out around the 400m range so that missiles are harder to dodge and use TAG etc.
My LRMturion (L) is pretty hilarious because no one expects it :3

Devorum posted:

https://mwomercs.com/tournaments?t=201512mechs

I hope I get the Grand Prize so I can have 3 CN9-AHs!

Kind of underwhelming after the Champion Timberwolf they gave away last time.
When was this champion Timberwolf?
Also, no mech bays or mech bay discounts :c

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It was the grand prize at Halloween.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
That timberwolf made for some ridiculous matchups with like 6 TBR-C per side.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I'm burning out the last few hours on a contract I snagged to grab a mechbay before joining the goon group. Is it worth bothering if I mostly stock IS mechs at this point, or do you guys drop IS as well?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm burning out the last few hours on a contract I snagged to grab a mechbay before joining the goon group. Is it worth bothering if I mostly stock IS mechs at this point, or do you guys drop IS as well?

WoL currently drops IS with Liao, though there's been talk of going clan with the apparent incoming CW reset.

spamman5r
Oct 2, 2008
I finally understand the difference. Can I get an invite to GIRL? In game name is spamman5r

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I tried to auth and probably and probably hosed everything up.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I run one mech with LRMs on it at all, and it's my mech for when I get frustrated with my teams and I just want to do mindless things. It's a Mad Dog with 4 LRM 20s and as much ammo as I could reasonably throw on it.

Not super effective (except at whoring damage numbers), but it's pretty fun. Also I surprising number of kills out of the fact that cLRMs don't have a true minimum range. Just vomit them all at some wounded guy like lovely SRMs.

Everybody should have one, and then only drive it drunk and angry. :v:

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
So I was thinking about running a double AMS support crab for some ops. Is it worth it to do

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ScorpioMajesty posted:

So I was thinking about running a double AMS support crab for some ops. Is it worth it to do

AMS is a waste of space to begin with. Double would just be even more so.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So what is the whole faction thing anyway?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I kind of really do want to buy a Mad Dog just because they've always looked awesome and having some decent armaments to fall back on in it's more iconic configuration has always been a draw.

Honestly if I've had any gripe with these games in general over the years, it's that versatility in loadout has never really been encouraged by the actual mechanics.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

So what is the whole faction thing anyway?

The Inner Sphere has been in conflict for centuries; the Great Houses war amongst themselves, vying for control of the explored regions of the Inner Sphere. But now, House Steiner, House Marik, House Liao, House Davion, House Kurita and the newly formed Free Rasalhague Republic are about to meet a long forgotten foe – the Clans.

Once part of the Inner Sphere, the Clans were formed from families and prominent leaders who left in search of their own home planets and identity. After centuries away, they were a faded memory for the Inner Sphere.

In an unexpected turn of events, after an exploration ship accidentally jumped into Clan world space, four major Clan factions joined forces and have begun to attack the Inner Sphere with the ultimate goal of taking the planet Terra for their own.

It is an exciting time MechWarriors; choose your faction wisely and prepare for a new era of gameplay in MechWarrior Online.

Or, in other words:

Factions determine who you hate and how much.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Pubbies are still really bad at this game, although I can't say I was expecting anything. I haven't fought a competent person yet. They seem shocked when my Atlas rumbles up to their poo poo fit Timberwolf and ploughs 18 SRMs and an AC20 round into them a couple times.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

A Christmas grab bag event will be starting tomorrow.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Finally got around to playing this tonight, and itt was loads of fun even though I am bad. Who do I message for an invite to WoL? Ingamename is Acre if that works instead. Just put me in with the J4G scum, tia

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Oh Snapple! posted:

I kind of really do want to buy a Mad Dog just because they've always looked awesome and having some decent armaments to fall back on in it's more iconic configuration has always been a draw.

Honestly if I've had any gripe with these games in general over the years, it's that versatility in loadout has never really been encouraged by the actual mechanics.

Versatility was always kind of a concession so fights wouldn't end in two shots in the first place. There's a reason modern tanks don't carry a ton of different weapon systems for a bunch of different targets. It's cheaper and easier to have the tank supported by something to fill the roles it lacks (anti-air, for example) than it is to try and staple more crap on the side. By the same token, one big gun that will wreck your targets poo poo is better than a gun for tanks, a gun for jeeps, a gun for light infantry, a gun for planes, a gun for hardened emplacements, etc.

The canon variants are only "versatile" because it would be boring for every mech to be stacked with medium lasers.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
I had an account during closed beta and tonight I was dumb enough to finally reinstall the game. I'm pretty sure I'm missing some of the mechs I used to own but I still have an Atlas, Hunchback, and Centurion with like 20k credits. Everything is weird and different and I'm scared.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

Versatility was always kind of a concession so fights wouldn't end in two shots in the first place. There's a reason modern tanks don't carry a ton of different weapon systems for a bunch of different targets. It's cheaper and easier to have the tank supported by something to fill the roles it lacks (anti-air, for example) than it is to try and staple more crap on the side. By the same token, one big gun that will wreck your targets poo poo is better than a gun for tanks, a gun for jeeps, a gun for light infantry, a gun for planes, a gun for hardened emplacements, etc.

Counter-point: The F-35 :smug:

:shepicide:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So now that I'm in WoL what's with all these reinforcement needed things and the difference between red and blue ones?

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
My mech piloting skills were honed on Mad Catz flight-stick/trackball combo joystick piloting through Mechwarrior 2/Mercs/3/4/MWO beta. Haven't used Mouse/Keyboard combo in competitive pvp since Rogue Spear. Xbox Controller tutorial trial run ended with a accidental nudge on ally resulting in alpha strike to the chest, but my keyboard is crap in addition to rusted skills.

In the 3025 hexmap game version a Lotus could max out it's engines and arm itself only with a targeting Laser to paint targets for the group of tanks w/ Arrow IV missiles safely entrenched 4 maps away; is there any such abuse out right now I can be preppin low cost newb mechs for? In EVE I stuck to weaponless EW frigs until patch forced me to go lethal. Would like the option to get in elemental armor, hide on one of your arms then jump out like an angry squirrel at enemy faces eventually. I'm interested in any combo that will make the enemy instantly say WTF is that a-hole doing while maintaining ability to kill the enemy. Couldn't find the self-destruct button on my tutorial mech, The Kirk inside me died a little. While the Deadpool in me keeps screwing up my posts. Would a woodsman mech jumping off a skyscraper and landing a perfect terminal velocity hatchet strike to the enemy be something viable to work towards here?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Please dont use a joystick or controller to play this game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Kalaxus posted:

My mech piloting skills were honed on Mad Catz flight-stick/trackball combo joystick piloting through Mechwarrior 2/Mercs/3/4/MWO beta. Haven't used Mouse/Keyboard combo in competitive pvp since Rogue Spear. Xbox Controller tutorial trial run ended with a accidental nudge on ally resulting in alpha strike to the chest, but my keyboard is crap in addition to rusted skills.

In the 3025 hexmap game version a Lotus could max out it's engines and arm itself only with a targeting Laser to paint targets for the group of tanks w/ Arrow IV missiles safely entrenched 4 maps away; is there any such abuse out right now I can be preppin low cost newb mechs for? In EVE I stuck to weaponless EW frigs until patch forced me to go lethal. Would like the option to get in elemental armor, hide on one of your arms then jump out like an angry squirrel at enemy faces eventually. I'm interested in any combo that will make the enemy instantly say WTF is that a-hole doing while maintaining ability to kill the enemy. Couldn't find the self-destruct button on my tutorial mech, The Kirk inside me died a little. While the Deadpool in me keeps screwing up my posts. Would a woodsman mech jumping off a skyscraper and landing a perfect terminal velocity hatchet strike to the enemy be something viable to work towards here?

To all of that: no

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Melee will probably never be a thing, but if it were, it'd be one of the few things to get jaded goons to cough up.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Kalaxus posted:

Would a woodsman mech jumping off a skyscraper and landing a perfect terminal velocity hatchet strike to the enemy be something viable to work towards here?

No, and there are several reasons for that:

1. PGI is too incompetent to code melee combat, as evidenced by the game's collision detection every time they actually try to make collisions work.

2. You will never be able to jet up on top of a skyscraper because they hosed up the gravity coefficient and it's much higher than it should be (this is why you can't get any vert) and they can't change it because all of the animations are tied to the hosed up gravity coefficient.

3. Minimum viable product.

You can preorder the Archer now, though. Only $40.00 for an obsolete Inner Sphere mech, holy poo poo!!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kalaxus posted:

MWO is a first person shooter with a mech movement system. You can forget everything you learned from the tabletop version.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cyrano4747 posted:

To all of that: no

Specifically, no, no, no, no, and... yes! no wait: no.

E: you could get ECM, BAP, a TAG and a narc to paint for missiles and be moderately (not actually) useful and annoying. Bonus style points if you add 3-5 flamers.

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
I thought i remembered the Axe man being in beta for certain, must of been bleed over memories of mw4. If the add in melee weapons and the Axe Man later, I'm making smokey the bear tacking on those flamers starting forest fires, hiding in smoke. Until then I guess it's head shots/sweep the leg and M+K control training

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I decided to start playing this again and wanted to get a few friends into the game. Am I an idiot, or is there no way to Quick Play with a group of friends - the only option is the faction bullshit? Is this accurate? If we pick different factions are we screwed out of playing with each other?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Coolwhoami posted:

Please dont use a joystick or controller to play this game.
Reminds me of something 7c Nickel whipped up back in the early days of open beta:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone is going to play MWO with a joystick please twitch it and upload to youtube as well.

Just so we can appreciate your Mad Skills of course.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kalaxus posted:

I thought i remembered the Axe man being in beta for certain, must of been bleed over memories of mw4. If the add in melee weapons and the Axe Man later, I'm making smokey the bear tacking on those flamers starting forest fires, hiding in smoke. Until then I guess it's head shots/sweep the leg and M+K control training

I seriously doubt 1) the axeman will ever see release in this game, like ever; and 2) you'll never be able to set trees on fire and generate smoke to obscure things, because; 3) :pgi: lacks the planning and sophistication necessary to make either of those things work.

I think you might be in for a bit of disappointment. The game is very limited in what it can do. But it does those things on a c/c+ level. :unsmith:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Epsilon Plus posted:

I decided to start playing this again and wanted to get a few friends into the game. Am I an idiot, or is there no way to Quick Play with a group of friends - the only option is the faction bullshit? Is this accurate? If we pick different factions are we screwed out of playing with each other?

No, faction play is its own thing. You can group up with anyone and hit quick play no problem, or set up a private match if you have premium.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Epsilon Plus posted:

You have to create a group, then invite your friends, then you can drop in quick play with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
gently caress. I tried that and Quick Play was greyed out with no reason as to why. Maybe he missed some step or we weren't all ready or something.

• Locked thread