Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

NJersey posted:

So I'm trying to find a good system to call home.
Preferably one that has Fed, Empire, Alliance and Anarchy systems close by. A high tech system for ships and outfittings would be good too.
It should have a cool name and cool system faction names too, lol.
I'd rather not call system CD-43X-$#N536GKS my home and be allied with/fight for the CD-43X-$#N536GKS Labour Party, if ya know what I mean.

So where do you guys call home?
The goon presence in the game as a collective call a system called 63 G. Capricorni home. It is a lawless anarchy system run by our own NPC faction that the devs added called the Diamond Frogs.

In terms of the other stuff you asked about :
  • Fed/Empire systems are sub-20LY away and Alliance is about 50LY away
  • Nisgayo next door is a very good high tech system
  • Li-Yong Rui space is about 80LY away for cheap fittings (LHS 20, sells discount Fed ships)
  • Xihe (a few jumps away and also a decent high-tech system) has some great RES (including Hi-Res/HazRes)for bounty hunting and is Hudson territory so if you're a powerplayer you can get his bounty claim bonuses there
  • Frey has some nice belts for mining

We're fairly organised and have a thread over in Private Gate Servers with more info about this stuff: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=374032

e: Ix Chakan is the closest Fed system at ~7LY, LTT 8648 is the closest Empire system with a large pad at ~29LY and LHS 3356 is the closest Alliance system at ~58LY.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Space.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Oh my god, this this Federal Assault Ship you guys

This Federal Assault Ship you guys, oh my god

I did a loving space drive by on a python with a pair of flak cannons and smashed it to pieces :stare::fh:

And I'm only using C and D class gear from that build Shine linked earlier, $1m in bounties in 20 minutes in a HazRES :unsmigghh:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Capn Beeb posted:

Oh my god, this this Federal Assault Ship you guys

This Federal Assault Ship you guys, oh my god

I did a loving space drive by on a python with a pair of flak cannons and smashed it to pieces :stare::fh:

And I'm only using C and D class gear from that build Shine linked earlier, $1m in bounties in 20 minutes in a HazRES :unsmigghh:

Hell yeah man, frag cannon drive-bys are the poo poo :tfrxmas:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

drat I'm gonna go try out some frag cannons now.

LCL-Dead posted:

I'm just curious to see how they're going to pull off forested and water covered worlds if/when they ever let us land on them, especially worlds with a population.

I just can't wrap my head around how they're going to pull off planets like Earth or Mars or other heavily populated planets (I'm willing to bet they'll just be locked with some made up lore about civilian casualties and crashing spaceships).

But an unpopulated earth like with forests is going to be interesting in an SRV, pending the growth doesn't destroy GPUs when it tries to render.

If just ten dudes with a small budget can create a (somewhat) forested planet without destroying GPUs, I'm thinking Frontier can do it too, and hopefully do it even better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DTFpKlH1LE

I hope frontier is able to add enough NPCs to a populated planet to make it actually feel alive, without melting people's systems.

Also, I really hope frontier adds some stuff like the space station ruins and asteroid base in that video.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Shine posted:

Hell yeah man, frag cannon drive-bys are the poo poo :tfrxmas:

iclip with 2x gimballed beams and 2x fixed frags viable now?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'd probably gimbal the frags because even the hardpoints nearer center are really far apart.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Well that was interesting. I got a mission to blow up a Fer-de-Lance. I got there and strafed it a few times with my Vulture. The shields went down and it went to zero velocity and rotated in place not moving until I killed it. :psyduck:

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well that was interesting. I got a mission to blow up a Fer-de-Lance. I got there and strafed it a few times with my Vulture. The shields went down and it went to zero velocity and rotated in place not moving until I killed it. :psyduck:

I've seen that happen at res points a few times. Something must go buggy with the AI in some circumstances.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SquirrelGrip posted:

iclip with 2x gimballed beams and 2x fixed frags viable now?

I agree with Helter on gimballing them to avoid convergence issues. I gimball the three on my FAS so that they will all point directly at the power plant when I get super close and unload. Happiness is blowing out an Anaconda's power plant when it still has 60% hull. :allears:

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah, that's been a bug for a while now. Happens all the time when I'm RESing.

Kyaris
Aug 10, 2004

I have found my people.

There's just dozens of bugged out AI Diamondback Scouts out here. Floating. 0 velocity. So I joined them. I am one of them now.

Kyaris fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 22, 2015

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
David Brabens evil brother Chris just tried really hard to rob and destroy me.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm not sure that's a bug, I think the AI is trying to get you to overshoot so it can get free shots in. I only say this because the one time I couldn't avoid just slowing down and shooting it to pieces it shot me in the back and resumed normal NPC fight operations immediately.

It's just, in space you can stop :psyduck:

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Edit: wrong thread, I'm an idiot.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kyaris posted:

I have found my people.

There's just dozens of bugged out AI Diamondback Scouts out here. Floating. 0 velocity. So I joined them. I am one of them now.

His people don't discriminate.

EDIT: Apparently this isn't an isolated incident; I just found this on youtube.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 22, 2015

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

How does online play in this work? How many people are on, is it like EVE or Freelancer?

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
The times I've gotten the spinning NPC AI bug, the AI was also totally invisible to all but one person in a wing. I think it's an instancing problem.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

The French Army! posted:

How does online play in this work? How many people are on, is it like EVE or Freelancer?
In this game you are always online, and what changes between Open, Private and Solo mode is how you are matchmaked with other players.
Matchmaking instances can have a maximum of 30ish player ships flying around, but you'll usually see 10 or so at most in most systems.
And of the two this game is very much a lot more like Freelancer than EVE, although I think I-War2 would be a slightly better comparison, with the exception of a story since there isn't one that involves the players: you are just one of many pilots flying across the stars doing whatever you want, be it getting rich quick, killing stuff, going space mad, or grouping up with others to mess around with the NPC faction influence system.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Wow, I'm really bad at CQC

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
A buddy and I were farting about with frag cannons and they seemed great. When they hit. Even with a solid hit, sometimes the damage would feel underwhelming. So we tried cannons, same results.

So on a whim, he bolted on a pair of multi cannons to his little Diamondback Explorer, and I filled my FAS' belly with multis.

And we tore things to loving shreds. :suspense:

Did multis get a boost or something?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Veil Nebulae.

Pelican Nebula.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 22, 2015

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Holy poo poo no guys, I am really, really bad at CQC.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Holy poo poo no guys, I am really, really bad at CQC.

Constantly turn flight assist off so that you can do cool 180 turns and strafing moves and such, never stop moving, and use cover to your advantage. And get powerups. It's definitely faster paced and more difficult than normal combat.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Can anyone confirm this?

"a big guide to smuggling posted:

If you get "SCAN DETECTED" hit your key to target the NPC (even if it's behind you, whatever key you have bound for selecting the nearest target, or whatever) just target it, deploy weapons, and his scan will stop. You don't have to shoot at him. I almost never do. He'll usually then also deploy weapons at this point, and sometimes make some remark over COMS, but it doesn't matter since you're boosting away at almost 400 M/s

Even if this doesn't work on police ships, it has given me an idea- shoot cops if they scan you, maybe that'll make them stop or at least force them to stop when they pitch up and boost.

Sard fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 22, 2015

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I fought a Novice-Ranked Vulture the other day, first vulture I've every successfully killed in a Cobra :v:

It was still several minutes of awkward dogfighting around each other, but I think he only had like fixed small pulses and a multicannon equipped or something because he never quite dropped my shield. Usually NPC Vultures pop my shield the second I engage them and it's a bad time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I'm not sure that's a bug, I think the AI is trying to get you to overshoot so it can get free shots in. I only say this because the one time I couldn't avoid just slowing down and shooting it to pieces it shot me in the back and resumed normal NPC fight operations immediately.

It's just, in space you can stop :psyduck:

Overshoot? I parked my rear end in the blind spot behind the engine, switched to maximum weapon power, and laid on the trigger until it died. I'm pretty sure that's a bug.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I think there is something going on with Fer-De-Lances AI as they'll come at you and attack but then suddenly stop dead and rotate on the spot - leading to a free kill.

Also a trio of multi cannons on a Python is really doing some damage.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Does anyone have a good graphic settings for planets? I got solid 60 before on all ultra but planet fps is utter garbage. Which are the biggest contributing factors?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Could it be that you've shot out their thrusters and they can't move?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Does anyone have a good graphic settings for planets? I got solid 60 before on all ultra but planet fps is utter garbage. Which are the biggest contributing factors?

We'll need more info about your setup. I'm running 8GB of RAM and a 4GB GTX 970, and I get around 60fps on planets on Ultra.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

We'll need more info about your setup. I'm running 8GB of RAM and a 4GB GTX 970, and I get around 60fps on planets on Ultra.

i5 3470
GTX 760
8gb ram

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sultan Tarquin posted:

i5 3470
GTX 760
8gb ram

How garbage would you say the FPS is? There are a few things you can do to reduce the load a little. If you have vsync on, turn it off. It will at least smooth the fps drops, instead of doing a slideshow where it holds the next frame until you're on a monitor refresh tick. I used to have to do that on my GTX 660 for stuff like Borderlands and Wolfenstein- they would autodetect that they can run with vsync, but actually they would stutter really bad a couple times a minute. Basically, if your FPS drops below 60 with vsync, then it will try to resynchronize to 30 FPS, which is a sharp drop.

Other than that, just start incrementing the usual suspects down a notch until you get something that works a little better:
Turn off Supersampling, if you're using it.
Turn down shadows.
Turn down to a less intensive antialiasing method, like FXAA, if switching off Supersampling didn't help.

If all else fails, you can always lower your resolution.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Where is a good place to get Avril Lavigne to like you enough to get hammers?

Also, are hammers worth it over rails?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Waiting a month and buying your way into rank 3 is all you need. (After pledging to space mom obv.)

Yes.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Getting some snacks from a space 7/11

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I've been grinding up merits at the Othime system by blowing up other faction ships. It's close to 63 G. Capricorni, and it's an anarchy system, so there's no fine or bounties for murder.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zaardvark posted:

I've been grinding up merits at the Othime system by blowing up other faction ships. It's close to 63 G. Capricorni, and it's an anarchy system, so there's no fine or bounties for murder.

I have an Otohime-system in my notes, because the name reminded me of some dumb anime and it was close to the border of civilized space. Did you typo that system or is there really a "Othime"-system?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Zaardvark posted:

Fines and bounties for murder are good though.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

deadly_pudding posted:

How garbage would you say the FPS is? There are a few things you can do to reduce the load a little. If you have vsync on, turn it off. It will at least smooth the fps drops, instead of doing a slideshow where it holds the next frame until you're on a monitor refresh tick. I used to have to do that on my GTX 660 for stuff like Borderlands and Wolfenstein- they would autodetect that they can run with vsync, but actually they would stutter really bad a couple times a minute. Basically, if your FPS drops below 60 with vsync, then it will try to resynchronize to 30 FPS, which is a sharp drop.

Other than that, just start incrementing the usual suspects down a notch until you get something that works a little better:
Turn off Supersampling, if you're using it.
Turn down shadows.
Turn down to a less intensive antialiasing method, like FXAA, if switching off Supersampling didn't help.

If all else fails, you can always lower your resolution.

The first time I landed on a planet it went from 60 to about 20. Managed to get it up to over a consistent 40 which is okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Someone tell me if this is a bad idea because it looks like the most fun I could possibly have:

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance/06A5A4A4D6A4A3C1rihihihih0404020000024a5d326b2f.Iw18aQ==.EwBj4yIRhUg=

• Locked thread