Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

JcDent posted:

Well, not like being a helot was fun and games. Didn't young Spartans used them as practice from time to time?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crypteia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Maybe we can all just agree that slavery is bad and return to the topic at hand.

(beholder butts of course:goatsecx:)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah that, but even still; basically you had the real citizens of the city-state, and then you had all these outlying villages and towns full of people who owed, by virtue of being born in that town or not being born to a citizen, servitude to the citizens. They were slaves in the sense that they had far fewer rights, and the city-state owned the products of their labors... but they still got to own homes, marry, raise families, have money, buy things, there was some degree of socioeconomic mobility, etc.

It sucked compared to being a free person, no question. And greek history is full of cases when the Spartans or Athenians or whoever, took it upon themselves to brutalize some helots, or let them get brutalized by enemies because whatever they're not full citizens.

But I think a greek of the time, even a spartan, would have been absolutely horrified by the practices of chattel slavery in the US. Not that every (especially Northerner) Revolutionary War hero brutalized their slaves as a matter of course, mind you, but still: by modern standards most of those guys were willingly participating in a systemic atrocity.

Like people say "oh, Thomas Jefferson freed his slaves in his will!" and that's supposed to make him a great guy? "You get to be free after I'm dead and can no longer use you" isn't what I call charity.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Those are loving weird but the Aztec Jaguar shoulderpads and APC doors could make for a pretty cool themed army.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Why, you insensitive... don't you know that the Aztecs practiced human sacrifice?!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I never got the obsession with Boudica. She's like the go-to warrior queen even though she was really really bad at that stuff and got her rear end handed to her during the one real battle she fought against the Romans. I guess it's probably because there isn't a large amount of stuff written about her so unlike a lot of other strong historical women leaders (ex: Ching Shih) we don't have the context that points to, like most strong leaders in history, them also being ruthless and generally not very nice (ex: Olga of Kiev).

Oh, we got plenty of records of Boadicea being pretty drat nasty to the cities she captured - lot of Roman towns destroyed and the people slaughtered and mutilated in various innovative ways.

She was pretty obscure for most of the Roman era and middle ages, but got a real boost in popularity during the Victorian era when someone realized her name translated as 'Victory'...

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
She is the only prominent british female warrior figure of the era, so I guess the Victorians ran with it and built her up into a heroic legend. Probably to please Queen Victoria who was quite into invading places as the strong female figure of her era.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah that, but even still; basically you had the real citizens of the city-state, and then you had all these outlying villages and towns full of people who owed, by virtue of being born in that town or not being born to a citizen, servitude to the citizens. They were slaves in the sense that they had far fewer rights, and the city-state owned the products of their labors... but they still got to own homes, marry, raise families, have money, buy things, there was some degree of socioeconomic mobility, etc.

It sucked compared to being a free person, no question. And greek history is full of cases when the Spartans or Athenians or whoever, took it upon themselves to brutalize some helots, or let them get brutalized by enemies because whatever they're not full citizens.

But I think a greek of the time, even a spartan, would have been absolutely horrified by the practices of chattel slavery in the US. Not that every (especially Northerner) Revolutionary War hero brutalized their slaves as a matter of course, mind you, but still: by modern standards most of those guys were willingly participating in a systemic atrocity.

Like people say "oh, Thomas Jefferson freed his slaves in his will!" and that's supposed to make him a great guy? "You get to be free after I'm dead and can no longer use you" isn't what I call charity.

No, the Spartans would not be horrified. They were a cruel and tyrannical slave-state that functioned on eternal war, state-sanctioned murder for sport, and pedophilia. Classical fetishism is absurd and stupid and I know you're better than that.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Small Frozen Thing posted:

They were a cruel and tyrannical slave-state that functioned on eternal war, state-sanctioned murder for sport, and pedophilia.

i only glanced at your post but this sounds p much like the USA to me

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i only glanced at your post but this sounds p much like the USA to me

Exactly
Why would a Spartan be horrified by their modern equivalent

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Exactly
Why would a Spartan be horrified by their modern equivalent

They probably wouldn't like the gay bashing though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No, the Spartans would not be horrified. They were a cruel and tyrannical slave-state that functioned on eternal war, state-sanctioned murder for sport, and pedophilia. Classical fetishism is absurd and stupid and I know you're better than that.

OK? I'm certainly not fetishizing the spartans and I agree they were awful. I was just trying to address a common misconception that all slaves were slaves in the same style as the American slavery system.

I know more generally about greek city states than I do specifically about sparta so I'll defer to your expertise on the subject.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Fathis Munk posted:

Maybe we can all just agree that slavery is bad and return to the topic at hand.

(beholder butts of course:goatsecx:)

This dude used to be the pride and joy of my collection back when I was 16 when I figured I'd get into warhammer (I used to spend Saturdays hanging out at the local games workshop looking at people playing with their armies). Then I realised that those things cost way too much for my allowance at the time and that was the end of that.

I still look fondly at this dumb ork and by some dumb twist of fate he's now a solid part of my parent's Christmas decoration :confused:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

a waaaargh in a manger

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I like the lonely drop of red on the back of the sword.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

A sad blood stain.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Miraculous conception my rear end.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Gifts of gold, frankincense, and dakka.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Marius Leitdorf's shawing razor. That on nick made him crazy.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Wrong thread :toot:

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 21, 2015

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Yeah this was a thing that had to always be pointed out when I was teaching people about the Dark Ages. The Vikings technically owned slaves but due to how poor most people were and how the legal code treated slaves you actually might have it better off as a slave since the law required that your owner feed and clothe you, so often you'd get food when, for instance, your owners kids wouldn't. They also had different levels of slavery, where you had slave slaves and indentured servants. Slaves often had it better off in strange ways because of how Viking society perceived a sense of honor. If you were a slave, especially one from far off lands you were often better regarded than some indentured servants because you weren't forced into servitude by dept or family pressure but instead had to be taken by force. Indentured servants were common as well, often a single household would have several bondsmen bound to it's leader, but there was an intricate web of how honorable of a bondsmen you were based on exactly how you became an indentured servant (pledging your sword to a strong leader = very honorable and noble, your dad owed money to a guy so he gave him his 15 year old son = bad for your parents, not terrible for you since you were now essentially a surrogate son of a more powerful guy, tribe got beaten up by the household owners tribe = a horrible lowlife dirtperson is you).

American slavery was extremely non-complex and exceptionally brutal even by the historical standards of slavery, especially when we look at slavery as practiced by the Vikings, Greeks and golden age Arabs.

The other thing about Dark Ages and Ancient slavery was that it was an economic necessity. Colonial and American slavery was more about producing luxury items like cotton and sugar whereas a earlier slavery was more about producing enough food to keep the household alive and maybe give the landlord enough time to gently caress up Reeve Shithead in the next county over. The industrial revolution was a hell of a thing is what I am saying.

At least we don't live in the Grim Dark Future of the Battletech universe...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I guess subtle isn't on the menu today

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SRM posted:

What is that hand? Don't tell me someone ruined an old armorcast titan...

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The perspective in that picture is breaking my mind.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Leperflesh posted:

OK? I'm certainly not fetishizing the spartans and I agree they were awful. I was just trying to address a common misconception that all slaves were slaves in the same style as the American slavery system.

I know more generally about greek city states than I do specifically about sparta so I'll defer to your expertise on the subject.

Sorry, didn't mean to come off all aggro. The Spartans were just really lovely dudes all around is all, and in the wake of 300 I find I tend to jump the gun a bit. :v:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

LordAba posted:

What is that hand? Don't tell me someone ruined an old armorcast titan...

They were ruined the first day they were cast.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

enough about slavery, let's just chill with a nice refreshing glass of Um Bongo

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
oh god those lips

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

goatface posted:

oh god those lips

The lips are the most important part!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

DRILL YOUR BARRELS

EDIT: I just looked up armorcast titans :wtc:

He's got a head for a groin and missiles for a head.

EDIT2: vvv I never don't blame GW.

hooman fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 22, 2015

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

To be fair the angle on that Reaver doesn't help, they have a pronounced hunchback. It's also pretty much an exact upscale of the original GW one, so blame them not Armorcast ;)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Colonial Air Force posted:

So this is the one they guide you through painting:

And then they have some other "good" examples:

Reporting in to say I saw battletech played for the first time in real life and these images ring the outside of the box.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Exactly. Lots of early GW models were really goofy. Sometimes that was good, sometimes it wasn't.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

At least those pymgy's don't have gender separation in their palm artillery regiments.

Are they better or worse, or GW Pigmys?

Also, wtf are armorcast titans?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

IIRC, before Forgeworld was around Armorcast made big GW models. They were.... interesting. Lots of the flaws that miniatures of that era had in general.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

What kind of ammo are these things shooting and where is it stored?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cat Face Joe posted:

When have models ever concerned themselves with such irrelevant matters?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

hosed if I know.

Maybe they're energy weapons and all you need is a battery.

If not, you're putting more thought into this than the sculptors.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cat Face Joe posted:

How is that a question you would ever ask in Hams?

I, of course, googled armor cast and immediately set out to see if they have any cheap minis I would like.

Turns out, they have the perfect thing if you're furry, but don't want to give money to no spanish weeb space skirmish game maker:

Would be awesome for that guy on 4chan who posted his family of handmade life sized female furry dolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

IIRC, before Forgeworld was around Armorcast made big GW models. They were.... interesting. Lots of the flaws that miniatures of that era had in general.

Armorcast poo poo owns. They just upscaled Epic models without adding any detail and they're early 90s as gently caress. I remember seeing those Warhounds and Reavers at conventions every year from this one painting service and I always thought they were the coolest thing. They've got nothing on Forgeworld, detail-wise, but they're charmingly 90s.