Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
All this hush hush secrecy and rumour mongering is so precious. Why doesn't one of the banned people just come out and say exactly what happened one way or the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

All this hush hush secrecy and rumour mongering is so precious. Why doesn't one of the banned people just come out and say exactly what happened one way or the other?

They're on double secret probation

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Presumably there are some legal ramifications. When the Zach Jesse debacle was going down he said as much as reason for why he wasn't just spouting off what was going down. It's not like we know anything more than what WotC has told us, either.

E: Us being the judge collective. We just know dudes got hit with the ban-:redhammer: pretty hard, and the reason for why has been sketchy at best, with no supporting evidence beyond their incredibly credible sources.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Are you a sadist?

Lancelot posted:

judging is fun if you want to get browbeaten by rules lawyers, endlessly appealed and harassed by pros, and ignored by everyone else
Not really. I'm just the better rules lawyer so I shut would-be rules lawyers down fast. The appeal process is a necessary evil since it does ensure bad calls get caught for being bad calls (some of the time).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lancelot posted:

judging is fun if you want to get browbeaten by rules lawyers, endlessly appealed and harassed by pros, and ignored by everyone else

Also answering the same RTFC-level question a hundred times in one event.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Molybdenum posted:

They're on double secret probation

They were posting in the reddit thread.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Mikujin posted:

Presumably there are some legal ramifications. When the Zach Jesse debacle was going down he said as much as reason for why he wasn't just spouting off what was going down. It's not like we know anything more than what WotC has told us, either.

E: Us being the judge collective. We just know dudes got hit with the ban-:redhammer: pretty hard, and the reason for why has been sketchy at best, with no supporting evidence beyond their incredibly credible sources.

Not really. I'm just the better rules lawyer so I shut would-be rules lawyers down fast. The appeal process is a necessary evil since it does ensure bad calls get caught for being bad calls (some of the time).

one guy said that the other judges, and possibly him when he cools down a bit, are planning to appeal and see what they can get done, and leaking a bunch of collected hearsay is pretty counter to that

i feel like either this will be fixed within a week or two or someone's just gonna do another leak and this time it'll actually look bad ha ha

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mikujin posted:

It's never been a skill-testing card.

I mean if you're claiming that evaluating what to therapy based on the opponent's land play / uncracked fetch isn't a skill then v:shobon:v.

The self target mode is obviously nothing special but Therapying properly is a huge factor for the success of dredge players.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
there's no skill in it *misses on first cast, names something dumb on flashback*

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

What do you need to do to become a judge? I've been a referee for *real sports* before and I'd like to try doing some magic judging because I enjoy officiating despite the problems that come with the job.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ThePeavstenator posted:

What do you need to do to become a judge? I've been a referee for *real sports* before and I'd like to try doing some magic judging because I enjoy officiating despite the problems that come with the job.

First you need to ask yourself if you want to mentor with other judges to proceed. If yes, go to your local LGS and talk to a judge.

The entire process isn't worth your time

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Why is it not just "take a DCI-certified class and test congrats you're now a white-belt judge"

Mentoring seems like it can open up holes to so many problems

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Man I wanted to find more info on the bannings but I found this instead:

is it bad that I'm curious what happened between 5:52 and 5:57?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Zoness posted:

Man I wanted to find more info on the bannings but I found this instead:

is it bad that I'm curious what happened between 5:52 and 5:57?

I glad this guy was so thorough in redacting the chat so we didn't know he was talking to DaveHesterYUUP.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Chalks posted:

I glad this guy was so thorough in redacting the chat so we didn't know he was talking to DaveHesterYUUP.

Lmao

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

ThePeavstenator posted:

Why is it not just "take a DCI-certified class and test congrats you're now a white-belt judge"

This is MTG, things aren't made to be simple or make sense.

It was once explained to me that it is made this way because getting more judges is never the goal. The goal is to get the "right" judges. Now I have no idea what that really means in practice. In reality the area I play in always has the same judges for big events. The new judges I see show up a few times to be "on reserve" which I believe means they don't get to work unless enough people show. From what I can tell the new judges have a lot of turn over because hey, who wants to judge if all you ever get to judge if FNM?

The bizarre thing is that stores bitch and moan about it being difficult to schedule competitive events because its hard to nail down judges to judge them. Its confusing as gently caress.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

ThePeavstenator posted:

as this incident may have illuminated this is because any good magic judges exist despite wotc's best efforts

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

This is MTG, things aren't made to be simple or make sense.

It was once explained to me that it is made this way because getting more judges is never the goal. The goal is to get the "right" judges. Now I have no idea what that really means in practice.

It's to get judges that won't leak cards obviously :can:

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

ThePeavstenator posted:

A Rules Advisor role is something akin to what you are looking for. I find judging to be an enjoyable experience, even the more 'boring' stuff like deck checks. If you have an interest in judging competitive events, it's something you may want to consider. You can find the RA test on the DCI site.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ThePeavstenator posted:

For L1 the process is fairly simple - you'll need to find an L2+ to mentor you. Basically all that means is that they'll do some review of rules, get to know you, then when you both think you're ready, actually administer the L1 test.

You can go here to do practice tests. The 'easy practice' is probably what you want to do if you can't make L1 practice tests, but easy practice is actually generally harder than the L1 test. The whole rules advisor part you can do without a mentor, but it isn't required at all to become a judge.

As a reminder, you can't talk about specific questions from the practice or real judge tests.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ThePeavstenator posted:

That's basically what the Rules Advisor test is, right?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Entropic posted:

That's basically what the Rules Advisor test is, right?

RAs can't really do anything beyond judge FNMs though (and you don't actually even need to be an RA to do that)

Like it's nearly 100% a shiny badge that just says 'you learned some stuff' without any actual functionality. I guess it lets you make L1 practice tests on your own?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

they should print loads of expensive standard cards as judge specials, kill two birds for actual players with one stone

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Wizards invented Rules Advisors to instill player confidence. In reality, players only care about judge level when questioning a judge. I could have easily let my judge level slip to L1 at the end of this year (we have to do some things to stay at L2 every year) and one of the reasons I didn't was because players don't trust someone who's "just a level 1 judge". There are many other reasons also. Most L2s who are training new judges make them take the RA test so they know their rules knowledge is at least better than the average FNM player before giving them the L1 test.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
So, wait, the people who posted the mythics/expeditions leak on Instagram are in Seattle, but a bunch of judges on the other side of the continent got banned? The gently caress?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sickening posted:

It was once explained to me that it is made this way because getting more judges is never the goal. The goal is to get the "right" judges. Now I have no idea what that really means in practice. In reality the area I play in always has the same judges for big events. The new judges I see show up a few times to be "on reserve" which I believe means they don't get to work unless enough people show. From what I can tell the new judges have a lot of turn over because hey, who wants to judge if all you ever get to judge if FNM?

The bizarre thing is that stores bitch and moan about it being difficult to schedule competitive events because its hard to nail down judges to judge them. Its confusing as gently caress.

I've heard stories about stores contacting the RC to organize events, and the RC responding with "box for the Judge, box for me" or something. The two might be related.

Not to mention that sometimes it's a pointless thing. I got my L1, all good, and what can I do? Go to FNM (8-person draft at my local store), and look over a bunch of folks that know about as much as I do, and have been playing since before I knew what Magic was? Or to tell some dude my age "hey dude, I know this is a swear word that we use all the time in this country, and that the 'we' includes one of the two L2s in the city, but it ACTUALLY is a slur!"?

Still wanna get back in the groove, see if I can get some experience and hit up the L2 training again, but I know that if I had signed up to go to the Winter Conference, it'd have been for the foils.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

In other news, the vintage cube card art "patch" got C&D from Wizards:
https://twitter.com/MarcelMTG/status/679328868331720706

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
whats the skill tester that puts therapy to shame someone please tell me

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lunsku posted:

We have to protect our digital brand at all cost!

:downsbravo:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

lmao at banning a dozen judges over tweeting cards or whatever

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lunsku posted:

wizards isn't exactly hitting it out of the park for doing things to endear people to them

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

black potus posted:

Pretty sure it's Battle of Wits

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Does MTGO still not display full-art transparent-frame cards like Eldrazi correctly? I got an Emrakul in MM15 draft and it's got a normal-art-sized crop of the full art stretched to cover the whole card and it seems like all full-art cards of that type display that way on MTGO.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

black potus posted:

Grizzly Bear

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

black potus posted:

Siege Rhino is one of the most skill intensive cards in the game. When Wielded correctly, the card has a much higher power level than even Bloodbraid Elf, as it can gain you life as well as nudge the opponent down. Sometimes it's better than a six-mana corrupt, and I've hit my opponent for as much as 11 life with a single copy of Siege Rhino (3 on the ETB and 2 attacks before it was roasted off the board).

Getting skilled with Siege Rhino has subtle side benefits, as it trains you to constantly play your best 4-drop on turn 4 and not question what your opponent could do. Sequencing doesn't matter, and properly playing siege rhino is a matter of just running the card out.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 22, 2015

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So did (one of) the leak(s) happen because higher level judges get early access to cards? I wonder if Wizards is gonna stop giving them that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Entropic posted:

So did (one of) the leak(s) happen because higher level judges get early access to cards? I wonder if Wizards is gonna stop giving them that.

At this point the only transgression that any of the banned people have admitted to is tweeting about photos on twitter or talking about it on IRC.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

black potus posted:

Doomsday

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Do they think it was originally leaked from previews they gave to judges though?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

black potus posted:

Lightning Bolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Entropic posted:

Do they think it was originally leaked from previews they gave to judges though?

The only "previews" I've ever known a high end Judge to see is when someone sees a new Judge promo before the official announcement. I remembering hearing scuttlebutt about Force of Will before seeing the first picture.

• Locked thread