Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

v0.1 of Freespace is finally out! :toot:

DOWNLOAD FREESPACE v0.1 FOR STARSECTOR 0.7.1a!
NOTE: Requires ShaderLib by DarkRevenant. Download here.
Also requires LazyLib

Please leave your feedback here or in this post on the SS mod boards: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10055.0

I wanted to make it Nexerelin-compatible for this release, but it kept crashing due to the inclusion of Nex code in the rules.csv, so I just renamed it to rules2.csv.

Renaming it to rules.csv doesn't help, strangely enough. I need to figure out what's missing that's preventing Freespace factions from showing up in the Nex factions list.

EDIT: That being said, you can still rename rules.csv and play with the FS factions in your game.

Stalkerr fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Apparently Alex posted the Liberty Dong on his Twitter account.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Are the randomized weapons on npc ships baked into the SS+ jar, or does it live in something that's easily moddable? If so, can it be disabled for certain factions?

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Are the randomized weapons on npc ships baked into the SS+ jar, or does it live in something that's easily moddable? If so, can it be disabled for certain factions?

JAR. I'm sure you could write some logic to customize it. If SS+, then do this... Like preventing certain factions from being randomized.

You'll need to open up the JAR with a decompiler to see how it's coded, though.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
There has to be something in SS+ already to rule a faction out from weapon randomisation- given the Templars.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Templars has full variant randomization, they just won't condescend to use non-Templar weapons

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
It is frightening to run up against ships that have snagged a Templar Merced out of the randomization pool though.

"Oh, this will be eas-"

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A couple pirate frigates. One of them has a Clarent rack. :commissar:

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

So....I followed the instructions in the mod-help youtube link in the OP, but when I install mods and turn them on my game doesn't work (specifically, when I enter a battle and unpause everything goes to poo poo, also, in the main menu instead of having a moving background with ships and stuff it's just interchanging lightblue and white behind the menu icons). I'm thinking the issue might involve RAM usage settings changes. In the youtube video, only these two bits are present "-Xms4096m -Xmx4096m", however, in my own version of the vmparams file there is a third "-Xss4096k"

Any ideas? Is that youtube video just horribly out of date? Halp.

Space Monster fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 22, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Space Monster posted:

So....I followed the instructions in the mod-help youtube link in the OP, but when I install mods and turn them on my game doesn't work. I'm thinking the issue might involve settings changes involving RAM usage. In the youtube video, only these two bits are present "-Xms4096m -Xmx4096m", however, in my own version of the vmparams file there is a third "-Xss4096k"

Any ideas? Is that youtube video just horribly out of date? Halp.

The third is stack size, which you shouldn't need to touch. You need a Java 8 jre right now, though I think .7.2 is going back to Java 7.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The most common cause of what you're experiencing is not actually updating your JRE to a 64 bit version.

Make sure you replace the JRE folder in the Starsector directory. You can redirect it to a 64 bit JRE installed elsewhere but just replacing that folder is most expedient.

Edit: and yeah, get jre 8

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Tarezax posted:

The most common cause of what you're experiencing is not actually updating your JRE to a 64 bit version.

Make sure you replace the JRE folder in the Starsector directory. You can redirect it to a 64 bit JRE installed elsewhere but just replacing that folder is most expedient.

Edit: and yeah, get jre 8

The link in the youtube video led me here: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp.

I assumed the 64 bit version there was jre 8.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Also remember that most of the added faction mods require Shaderlib to function.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Tarezax posted:

Also remember that most of the added faction mods require Shaderlib to function.

I have it checked in the mod dialogue box. Do I have the wrong version of jre? Should I use something from here? http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

Or is the offline 64 bit version from here ok? http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp (says jre 8 at the top, not sure what it's referring to though :/)

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Space Monster posted:

I have it checked in the mod dialogue box. Do I have the wrong version of jre? Should I use something from here? http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

Or is the offline 64 bit version from here ok? http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp (says jre 8 at the top, not sure what it's referring to though :/)

Offline 64 bit should do it.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Tarezax posted:

Offline 64 bit should do it.

Hmmm. Well I initially followed the instructions in the youtube video and have the offline 64 bit version in folder jre and saved the other as jre original as it said. No dice. I wonder what I hosed up.

Update: So I found out part of the problem. The game was defaulting to my onboard graphics card rather than my nvidia 840m. It's working, but I'm only getting 7fps. It seems unlikely to me that I could play CS:GO on medium-high settings at over 100fps and have this game give my system so much trouble.

Space Monster fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 22, 2015

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
There are a few mods I had trouble getting working this patch and I had to go through unticking them one by one to find the culprits. BRDY and Shadowyards worked though so I didn't really care.

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

Cirofren posted:

There are a few mods I had trouble getting working this patch and I had to go through unticking them one by one to find the culprits. BRDY and Shadowyards worked though so I didn't really care.

What mods are not working for you?

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I'm at work at don't remember sorry, I set up a SS+ game when the latest cersion was released and two of the compatible factions were preventing new games from starting properly.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Space Monster posted:

Hmmm. Well I initially followed the instructions in the youtube video and have the offline 64 bit version in folder jre and saved the other as jre original as it said. No dice. I wonder what I hosed up.

Update: So I found out part of the problem. The game was defaulting to my onboard graphics card rather than my nvidia 840m. It's working, but I'm only getting 7fps. It seems unlikely to me that I could play CS:GO on medium-high settings at over 100fps and have this game give my system so much trouble.

do you have an nvidia card? i think there's a known issue with the drivers that tanks fps in fullscreen mode somehow

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Doctor Schnabel posted:

do you have an nvidia card? i think there's a known issue with the drivers that tanks fps in fullscreen mode somehow

That sounds promising...any known fixes? (also the game runs at about 60fps [still seems low honestly but I chalked it up to pre-alpha optimization] without mods)

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think there is, unfortunately. The lead dev is aware of the issue, at least. You can try googling starsector fps drop and it should point you to some of the discussion about it.

Oddly enough, if you force the game to use the integrated card, you can play perfectly fine in fullscreen. The problem is that some mods require a shader submod, and that one won't work with most integrated cards, so you might need to play in windowed mode if you run a mod-heavy game.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
Just run it in borderless windowed mode.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

I'm just happy it works in windowed mode. Thanks!

quote:

How do I do this? I only seem to be able to play it with the border (and at less than my monitor's resolution).

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Marcus Garvey posted:

I think I read somewhere that if it loads in your native resolution, it still triggers the issue

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

Cirofren posted:

I'm at work at don't remember sorry, I set up a SS+ game when the latest cersion was released and two of the compatible factions were preventing new games from starting properly.

When you get a chance if you can name them I might be able to offer some help.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Space Monster posted:

How do I do this? I only seem to be able to play it with the border (and at less than my monitor's resolution).
You can change it to borderless in settings.josn, which lives in \data\config. The line is "undecoratedWindow" I think.

You'll still need to play at a lower resolution if you want to avoid the fps drop (or you can force it to use your integrated card , which should be fine unless you're running mods that need that one shader library)

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Doctor Schnabel posted:

You can change it to borderless in settings.josn, which lives in \data\config. The line is "undecoratedWindow" I think.

You'll still need to play at a lower resolution if you want to avoid the fps drop (or you can force it to use your integrated card , which should be fine unless you're running mods that need that one shader library)

starsector+ :/

It's no big deal. I can handle windowed mode. Thanks for your help!

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
You can disable shaderlib settings and just keep it on for compatibility. It's in the Shader_settings file of the mod folder.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

MesoTroniK posted:

When you get a chance if you can name them I might be able to offer some help.

Cheers. I've had to disable Citadel 0.8, Flu-X v 0.56, and Interstellar Imperium 1.9.0. The other mods I have loaded, successfully, are as follows.

SS+ 3.0.0
Autosave 1.0d
Blackrock Driveyards 0.8.0
Common Radar 2.1
Junk pirates / ASP / PACK 2.4
LazyLib 2.1
Shadowyards 0.6.dev3
The Knights Templar 0.9.5b
Tiandong Heavy Industries 1.0.5
ZZ MusicLib 3.0.0+
ZZ ShaderLib Beta 1.1.0

I do appreciate the help but don't sweat it, what worked was more than enough factions, I'm unlikely to start a new game anytime soon.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cirofren posted:

Cheers. I've had to disable Citadel 0.8, Flu-X v 0.56, and Interstellar Imperium 1.9.0. The other mods I have loaded, successfully, are as follows.

SS+ 3.0.0
Autosave 1.0d
Blackrock Driveyards 0.8.0
Common Radar 2.1
Junk pirates / ASP / PACK 2.4
LazyLib 2.1
Shadowyards 0.6.dev3
The Knights Templar 0.9.5b
Tiandong Heavy Industries 1.0.5
ZZ MusicLib 3.0.0+
ZZ ShaderLib Beta 1.1.0

I do appreciate the help but don't sweat it, what worked was more than enough factions, I'm unlikely to start a new game anytime soon.

Your Citadel and Imperium are out of date.

e: actually, all 3 of your problem mods are.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 22, 2015

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This game is pretty drat fun. I suck at aiming so I pretty much just run around like a headless chicken in my Medusa, messing with the AI attacks and letting the turret lasers kill some stuff here and there. Sometimes I have like a third of the enemy fleet chasing my rear end, which is great because my fleet can then take care of the rest.

In vanilla, is there any actual way to get some big ships and the good weapons besides joining one of the factions? I have a nice ragtag team of destroyers and frigates but lately all the bounties (120k+) seem to include some giant capital gently caress off ship.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 22, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Not really. Sometimes you can find them on the black market but it's pretty rare to find anything bigger than a destroyer there. Capitals can seem scary at first but they mostly serve as a big block of poo poo for the rest of the fleet to hide behind for venting purposes.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 22, 2015

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

trucutru posted:

In vanilla, is there any actual way to get some big ships and the good weapons besides joining one of the factions? I have a nice ragtag team of destroyers and frigates but lately all the bounties (120k+) seem to include some giant capital gently caress off ship.

I'm constantly finding Auroras, Apogees, and Dominators on the Jangala black market. Hybrasil Astropolis, Sindria, and Nortia are also great places to look for ships. For weapons, you can get faction-specific weapons by fighting them. If you don't want to tank your rep, look for deserter bounties from that faction. I've scavenged four or five Heavy Blasters per campaign off TriTach deserter bounties.

scuba school sucks fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 22, 2015

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
You can manipulate what's available from black markets to a degree by trying to mess with that market's stability, but mostly you have to take a commission now to get the really big toys.

(Or take them from their cold, dead hands)

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Man, the AI's really on the ball with their phase cloak game.

How viable is a cloaking gimmick fleet, with maybe a player-flown paragon floating around to draw some attention? Do any of the faction mods have any nice phase cloak ships?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm trying to get back into this but I can't figure out the new rep system. Starting in corvus I thought I'd become a good Hegemony lap dog and after killing some pirates I got a commission. Then I started getting rep hits for not being hostile with everything they were hostile to, which was essentially "everyone but the hegemony". Is there a way to set my self hostile or do I need to travel the galaxy shooting people to make them not like me? The Diktat isn't even in corvus but the Hegemony is really mad I'm not hostile to them. I'm barely treading water keeping the hegemony welcoming and everyone else hates me for being friends with the hegemony. I'm making tiny money off pirate hunting commissions but don't want to venture out of Corvus because every other faction seems to hate me now.

Did I play the faction game wrong or is there still some hosed up faction rep balance? I only downloaded it last night so I should be on the latest version.

Also where do I buy more officers? I just have one crappy cautious dude who isn't much of a help in battle while the rest of my fleet has no one.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The commission system is relatively new and doesn't seem to be fully balanced. You could try using the console to adjust your faction relations to align with your boss.

I've found officers to be hard to come by as well, especially if you take a commission with someone who's got a lot of enemies. I think "officerMaxHireable" in settings.json governs how many will show up globally, so you could try raising that a bit. It's what I did.

If you really want to double down on being a corporate lapdog, you could also raise "factionCommissionBounty" to something higher and use that as your moneymaker.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Man, the AI's really on the ball with their phase cloak game.

How viable is a cloaking gimmick fleet, with maybe a player-flown paragon floating around to draw some attention? Do any of the faction mods have any nice phase cloak ships?

Very, the problem is just finding the ships. Fortunately there always seems to be a Shade or Afflictor (arguably the best frigate in vanilla right now) for sale on the black market anywhere you go. BRDY's Asura is a nice alternative to the already terrifying Doom. You really have to stack phase ships to see a noticeable difference in your sensor signature, but if every ship in your fleet is phase, you can ghost around the sector like a ninja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Where do you actually get officers from? Like what screen lets you hire them or see them?