Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

zedprime posted:

Was 4X really something people expected Spore to be? I remember more wishful thinking about Star Control 2

They sorta tried to sell that it would turn into that, but there's no reason that anyone should have believed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I am beyond excited for Stellaris, if it ends up living up to the expectations it sets for itself I'll be a very happy Paradox fanboy indeed!

I think it would be interesting if you'd be able to pick up games in the same galaxy of your first play through as a new race which recently gained the ability to colonize the stars. How great would it be to encounter a decadent and collapsed version of the empire you recently played through the week before?

Starting out as an uplifted civ could be an interesting scenario.

I fully expect Paradox to add extra dimensional civs ala Star Control 2. Humanity uplifted by the Arilou. Get eaten by Orz.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I have a feeling some of this is DLC material. I can see them doing a lot with uplifted civs in a Conquest of Paradise-like DLC.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Wont even care is there is 150 bucks of dlc if they keep developing it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I haven't felt this excited about a game since Moo3 and all it's amazing promises.
Please don't moo3 me :(

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

We are now entering the "grognard gamers tell the thread that they've been hurt before" portion of the program, please hold on to your butts.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

zedprime posted:

Was 4X really something people expected Spore to be? I remember more wishful thinking about Star Control 2.

Spore was immensely disappointing, but to their credit I think the hype for Spore was mostly user-generated, to the point Maxis realized what was about to happen and started actively saying 'look, guys, shut the gently caress up, this isn't Cell Stage->Diablo->Populous->Civ->(generic good 4x here, maybe Stellaris?), it's nowhere near that deep', but by then it had gone way too crazy. Of course, the original videos saying 'what your creature is shaped like has a HUGE impact on gameplay!' getting taken out didn't help.

Look, what I'm saying is, Paradox, what you need to do is fill in the gaps and make converters that goes Evolution Universalis->Stone Age Universalis->Rome 2->CK2->EU4->Vicky 3->HOI4->Europa (the moon) Universalis->Stellaris and you will officially have All Of My Money.

I think the thing I'm most hyped for with Stellaris is that this isn't like other 4xs, if something's wrong Paradox will just patch it up and, if necessary, expand it to make it better.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Sky Shadowing posted:

Spore was immensely disappointing, but to their credit I think the hype for Spore was mostly user-generated

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7562528.stm

quote:

The game takes evolution as its broad theme and is the creation of famed developer Will Wright. Many believe it will change gaming just like his previous effort The Sims did.

Mr Wright told the BBC he believed Spore will set the bar higher.

"Spore will change the way people look at games forever and change hopefully the perception people have of their own creativity."

Right, user generated.

I would suggest that games are sold by for profit entities called businesses and that they try to sell as many as they can to people and that the exaggerated stuff they claim as part of the sales process (which is normal and common) is not the fault of the people they are trying to sell it to.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I don't mean that standard marketing-hype, I meant the general opinion prior to release that Spore would be all your favorite games rolled into one and would be The Last Game You'll Ever Need. The creative tools were and remain impressive, it just was that there wasn't an actual good game.

People literally were convinced that every stage was going to be a fantastic game in and of itself, and in the end it took mere hours to run through them all and hit the space stage. Even so, the species I played in Spore has stuck with me and will be modded into Stellaris day 1.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why are people so fixated with game converters

i can kind of, kind of, understand the logic of a CK to EU converter but by the time you're done with EU you have to be mentally challenged not to be dominating the entire world or have a ridiculous blobfest who will only further monopolize the world by the end of Vic.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

Spore was immensely disappointing, but to their credit I think the hype for Spore was mostly user-generated, to the point Maxis realized what was about to happen and started actively saying 'look, guys, shut the gently caress up, this isn't Cell Stage->Diablo->Populous->Civ->(generic good 4x here, maybe Stellaris?), it's nowhere near that deep', but by then it had gone way too crazy. Of course, the original videos saying 'what your creature is shaped like has a HUGE impact on gameplay!' getting taken out didn't help.

Look, what I'm saying is, Paradox, what you need to do is fill in the gaps and make converters that goes Evolution Universalis->Stone Age Universalis->Rome 2->CK2->EU4->Vicky 3->HOI4->Europa (the moon) Universalis->Stellaris and you will officially have All Of My Money.

I think the thing I'm most hyped for with Stellaris is that this isn't like other 4xs, if something's wrong Paradox will just patch it up and, if necessary, expand it to make it better.

A fertile crescent / dawn of civ / ancient egypt game would be cool.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Mans posted:

why are people so fixated with game converters

i can kind of, kind of, understand the logic of a CK to EU converter but by the time you're done with EU you have to be mentally challenged not to be dominating the entire world or have a ridiculous blobfest who will only further monopolize the world by the end of Vic.

The use I'd seen in converters is generating vaguely-organic alternate starts, and that'd be better served with some sort of map shuffler.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Converters are good for LP/RP runs where you're telling a story rather than thinking of it as a game that you have to win. I've used a converted save a total of two times.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Honestly, a customization DLC like they have for EU4, except for CK2 would be a dream come true. Especially if it let you also randomize tha landmass.

Alas, alas.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
If fallen empires are as full featured as they seem to be, just based on pre-dev diary peripheral information, does this mean that this will be the first game in which you can make a full-galactic-scale 40k mod that can actually replicate all the insanity of the setting, instead of just being a reskin?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

NewMars posted:

If fallen empires are as full featured as they seem to be, just based on pre-dev diary peripheral information, does this mean that this will be the first game in which you can make a full-galactic-scale 40k mod that can actually replicate all the insanity of the setting, instead of just being a reskin?

I didn't even think about this possibility. With this option and Total Warhammer it will be hard to be disappointed.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I hope everyone will temper their expectations on Stellaris. Especially considering it is obviously a dry run in the vein of Sengoku for Rome II with a procedurally-generated unexplored map.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I hope everyone will temper their expectations on Stellaris. Especially considering it is obviously a dry run in the vein of Sengoku for Rome II with a procedurally-generated unexplored map.

Whoa whoa. I don't think Sengoku is a fair comparison here.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Rome 2? I think you mean Rome 4(5,6): Rome'ing Space. :agesilaus:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
ALL Paradox games to date have been dry runs building up to the glory of Rome II.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Demiurge4 posted:

Whoa whoa. I don't think Sengoku is a fair comparison here.
Its an obvious troll. We've all seen from the start its actually the spring board for Vicky 3.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Merry Christmas: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/victoria-2-3-04-beta-patch-merry-christmas.898844/

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
:negative: I can't download the patch because I bought V2 on Gamersgate.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Takanago posted:

:negative: I can't download the patch because I bought V2 on Gamersgate.

Same. I didn't even know V2 was available on Steam, it's that old. :confuoot:

e: jesus loving h christ V2 + HOD is £30 on Steam :eyepop:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiii-

quote:

Added World Wars, the next level after Great Wars. a GW can become a WW after mass politics (1905) is researched and the winning side gains 50% warscore. After this all wargoals have their cost cut to 30% allowing you to really dismantle stuff at the end of the game.

-iiiit!!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm one of the people who really liked Vicky 2 - broken mechanics and all - but hadn't planned on playing it again any time soon. But with this maybe I'll pick it up again and give the patch a try through the holidays...

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Enjoy posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/677983075104608258

So... you guys taking requests?

Do you think you could change line 3567 of text.csv from The Communism Agenda to The Communist Agenda?

Please, podcat and Wiz, this makes me irrationally upset!

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

heh :capitalism:

as I posted on our forum:
"We will make some kind of zip archive available after christmas when we got some testing on this beta. I cant do it now because I dont even know what servers I can use (we havent done non-steam for a long time)"

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Autonomous Monster posted:

A lot of key resellers (e.g. g2play.net) have it for under 10€.

Or you just wait until the next steam sale, when all paradox products will be reduced by 75% again :)

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 22, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
The next steam sale is today, by the way.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AI no longer believes the Age of Sail ended in 1936.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

quote:

Added Borderless Windowed mode.

:wow:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I really wish V2 had better mod support on steam because as cool as the patch is I dread trawling on moddb for new versions of the ones I use.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Didn't plan to add it but I got annoyed while working that I couldn't have full-screen and tab to the development environment without going mental.

How to make programmers do stuff: make it really annoying. Programmers are really lazy and don't got the energy to deal with bullshit.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

quote:

Fascist Siam now called Thailand

:drat: Pdox getting political

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Thank you. This is all cool stuff, the big one for me is removing the event spam you get about debt repayment CBs because I never feel like I really need that £200 back from Jahore.

Now please make provincial colonial races not a hopeless effort unless you are called Great Britain. Just add a cutoff point of "whoever gets here first wins" at a certain level in the race. In my Sweden game I once had a colony going to like 10 levels before calling it quits because GB just had what felt like a bottomless pool of points. I wouldn't mind if there was more thought in winning a colonial race, but it is just a case of 'hover over province and hope you pause on the right day so you can click a button". It isn't super fun to bother with one.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 22, 2015

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Another Person posted:

Thank you. This is all cool stuff, the big one for me is removing the event spam you get about debt repayment CBs because I never feel like I really need that £200 back from Jahore.

Now please make provincial colonial races not a hopeless effort unless you are called Great Britain. Just add a cutoff point of "whoever gets here first wins" at a certain level in the race. In my Sweden game I once had a colony going to like 10 levels before calling it quits because GB just had what felt like a bottomless pool of points.

Easiest way to win the colonial race is to have a couple honeypot places where you get a bunch of GPs to fight each other, or you hold a front vs one gp while you colonize a bunch of other places uncontested and block/section off large swathes of Africa.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

:drat: Pdox getting political

Russian empire seems to start with no army... a statement about contemporary Russian militarism?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Also: NMM seems to work out of the box with the patch (or at least it isn't crashing for me in my spain game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Easiest way to win the colonial race is to have a couple honeypot places where you get a bunch of GPs to fight each other, or you hold a front vs one gp while you colonize a bunch of other places uncontested and block/section off large swathes of Africa.

I just let the AI do that to itself over on the coast of Africa where everyone and their dog already has a province. France/Britain standoff over there is pretty much guaranteed.

The mechanic just doesn't feel particularly deep though and it definitely isn't fun to get involved in. That is really my big issue with it. I really wouldn't mind if it had any further levels to it past 'stall for time while you take everything to the East of the competition hotspot'. Maybe add some events to give some kind of interaction to the colonial races, which might do things like increase your level in that province at the cost of a load of money, goods or pop, or something like that? Right now colonial racing literally is just click a button wait click again.