Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xyloshan
Feb 12, 2012

Why so bittern?
Anyone else have an eclectus? Oliver is very talkative and likes to hump everyone. https://vine.co/v/enBPxbT0Pnn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Thats a good looking eclectus, the ones ive seen are all pluckers.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

blackflare posted:

Yeah they're really prone to plucking. IIRC females are extra prone to it.

xyloshan
Feb 12, 2012

Why so bittern?

blackflare posted:

Yeah, most of the other eclectus i've met have been pluckers. Once they start it becomes a compulsive habit and it's nearly impossible to get them to stop. Here's hoping something doesn't make Oliver start plucking.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Australia family had a plucker. Friendly as anything, wasn't a loud house, she was out of the cage most of the day and around people*, correct diet but still balding. They put her in an aviary when they went away so the farm hands could look after her and came back to a different bird who didn't want to come back inside but will come over and garble nonsense at you whenever she sees you walk past.

*they figured out later that even though she was around people they were just in the same room and as she didn't cause a fuss or push herself on them she probably didn't get enough one on one engagement. The destruction of wood probably fills that need for mental stimulation now.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
edit: I cant even, thinking about this is getting me ranty angry. Birds at vets, canary didn't make it others fine, get enclosed travel cages and carbon monoxide alarms.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 20, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh my god, I'm so sorry.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Bigger birds and the budgie are only there because we don't want to bring them back to the house just yet, quick thinking fireman putting oxygen masks in the travel cages for them to attack saved them. I'm going to take this opportunity to properly clean the cages out without being bitten for once.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Oh man, I'm so sorry about your canary, poor little guy. Good thinking by the fireman, send him/them a card or something later maybe. Such a crappy situation :(

I said goodbye to my guys yesterday*-it may be wishful thinking and I don't know how much they'd really comprehend but they certainly all reacted to being told "big/long bye bye". Made time for them each before leaving-Steve didn't want to know, Inko actually ran up the perch to cuddle against my hand of his own accord, and Ohtori got lots of cuddles and pets and attention and a big piece of walnut.

*and already had an email titled "STEVE IS AN rear end in a top hat"

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Holy poo poo :stare:

That's terrifying, thank god the firemen were there. Saw your post before the edit, are you yourself ok though?

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

poo poo, I didn't see before the edit, but I'm really sorry about the little one. Good on the fireman, at least you have survivors. To be fair, the vet is probably the safest place for them so they can be monitored/provided any care if they need it. I hope you are okay, this is such a lovely thing to happen right before the holidays.

I mean it's a lovely thing to happen ever, but it really puts a damper on what's supposed to be a fun week. Let us know if there's anything we can do.

Edit: Geez, that's scary. I'm so sorry you were forced through that, learnincurve. Glad everyone else is recovering just fine though.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 21, 2015

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Chaosfeather posted:

poo poo, I didn't see before the edit, but I'm really sorry about the little one. Good on the fireman, at least you have survivors. To be fair, the vet is probably the safest place for them so they can be monitored/provided any care if they need it. I hope you are okay, this is such a lovely thing to happen right before the holidays.

I mean it's a lovely thing to happen ever, but it really puts a damper on what's supposed to be a fun week. Let us know if there's anything we can do.

I don't want to say too much but there was a major gas leak in a nearby field, causing enough issues that the fire department was bought in, which fortunately meant the bigger birds survived through the quick thinking of one of the guys, to give them oxygen masks against the cages.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Thanks everyone, :) rest of the household is fine :) It was a very small area so not many of us were effected. Kids and dogs are at my parents and they are picking up the birds and dropping them off in a few hours as the smell has dissipated so it should all be back to normal. Stroke of luck for the chap at the end of the street (closer to the leak than me) as he breeds show chickens - there is a show somewhere (Europe?) this weekend that he couldn't go to but his friend took them for him last second so none of them were out back. He was pretty much the crossest man in the world and the rest of us let him be the one to scream at the gas man about chickens at 5am.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
tbh I wouldn't be giving away that opportunity lightly.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Sekkira fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 21, 2015

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Birds are back (also my children) :D Both potatoes bit me so that's normal, shy is a bit quiet and is sat on her swing bridge/safe place but all in all they seem fine.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

tbh I wouldn't be giving away that opportunity lightly.

Seriously.

There's only a small handful of times in the world when you can scream at somebody about chickens at 5am without being crazy, and he just gave one of those away for free. :(

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Good on you, chicken man. I'm glad just about everybody made it out okay. I hope your finch doesn't miss his friend too badly. :(

In other news, Amadeus bit me last night because bird reasons and is now afraid of my band-aid.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Show of hands, whose lovebirds are afraid of nail polish?

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

My budgies are, to be honest.
(But now I don't even wear it because I am too scared of the fumes affecting them- small apartment space I live in.)

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Halloween Jack posted:

My cockatiel used to be 100% afraid of painted nails. Now it's like 40% chance she notices and flies away. Doesn't seem to be related to certain colors though :confused:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

the best thing about my bird is when im really stoned or whatever i can just pick him up like a beanie baby and mash him against my face. he is very soft and very warm and just sort of flops there until i sober up enough to stir from my coma.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

the best thing about my bird is when im really stoned or whatever i can just pick him up like a beanie baby and mash him against my face. he is very soft and very warm and just sort of flops there until i sober up enough to stir from my coma.

If i try that with Taco he decides that its the best time to start chewing on my ears/nose/eyes.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I love doing that with Alexis. Auri is SO much fluffier, too bad the most she'll tolerate is a kiss in the middle of her back.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Halloween Jack posted:

Toast doesn't like red or orange painted nails, and goes into ATTACK MURDER DESTROY mode when he sees them.

He keeps trying to eat nail polish when I'm applying it though :v: Presumably because it's something I'm interacting with and anything a human is interacting with MUST be fun for chewing. Another reason to do my nails in another room to Toast (aka the bathroom). The other being nail polish fumes.

Everyday Goast
Nov 27, 2011

spoopy

I haven't painted my nails for ages because Taco thinks painted nails are some kind of delicious treat and trys to pry them off my fingers D:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Bird trying to have relations with my ponytail right now

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Its always great to see that. Did you raise the bird from chick because the really calm birds I've seen are all hand raised by the owner.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm thinking about building an aviary-type cage for indoor. It would be about 2x1 meters on the base.

Today I made mockups of the two panels for the front face:

Obviously I'd use a mesh suited for aviaries, for the sketch I just picked a random mesh texture to indicate where it'd be.

The bottom doors I intend to be for cleaning the cage bottom. The top door in the right panel would be for general entry/exit, and the idea is to have some wire let it hang open at about 90 deg to serve as a landing platform too.

I want the entire thing to be raised about 30-40 cm from the floor. The back panels would probably be solid wood rather than mesh, but I'm not sure about that. (Mesh might be cheaper, but more labor to make the frame. A solid back also allows more places to mount things, and gives more of a corner to hide in.) I think I'd make one side panel mesh and the other solid.
The roof would be mesh.

I'll probably use some kind of bolts to mount the panels on the corner posts. Obviously I need to be able to disassemble it again.

Does this seem like a reasonable design? Is there something I'm forgetting to include? Something more I need to account for?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'd make the bottom hatches solid and have a splashguard type thing up the side, to help contain mess.

In the morning I'll take some photos of my snakeproof enclosure around my outdoor cages to show you what I came up with when I wanted something similar. Very glad I built it after the last time I ran into a snake, there was a bigass brown snake outside my house the other day, as in the second most venomous snake worldwide.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 22, 2015

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I would worry that the exit place isn't quite big enough, the one on one of my cages is quite small and it makes reaching in for cleaning or using a net a pain.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Good Ama :3: Ohtori allows it but doesn't have the patience to stay long, unless scritches are involved

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Teeka is good with face squishes. Or with me sticking my face under his wing. And if you give him a big kiss he clacks his beak. Only thing that makes me nervous is that even though he isn't a very bitey whitey, if I can't see his face, I can't tell when he's had enough so generally I don't face squish him for too long.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

EVIR Gibson posted:

Its always great to see that. Did you raise the bird from chick because the really calm birds I've seen are all hand raised by the owner.

I didn't, but I've always been super hands-on with him. The flip side is he isn't as playful or into learning tricks as a bird like Ohtori because why bother playing fetch when you can turn into a puff and snooze in your person's hand.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Eejit posted:

Only thing that makes me nervous is that even though he isn't a very bitey whitey

Slightly bitey whitey?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Khizan posted:

Slightly bitey whitey?

e: I also learned I can cradle him like a baby, probably because he is so good about being burritoed for nail trimming

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaI6SWfDnTc

Look at this sassy bird. :kimchi:

Eejit posted:

e: I also learned I can cradle him like a baby, probably because he is so good about being burritoed for nail trimming

I wanna bury my face in him, he looks so fluffy

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
This little doofus is always sleeping like this when I visit the pet shop.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oh my god wanna take that birb home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

i poop fire posted:

This little doofus is always sleeping like this when I visit the pet shop.

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: Omg, look at his little face and his fluffy tummy