Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah, to repeat myself I've never heard of judges getting previews. We get our information in the same way everyone else does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

black potus posted:

whats the skill tester that puts therapy to shame someone please tell me

Island

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
So if Judges don't have previous access to the cards, then wizards isn't targetting judges and is just targetting people who are involved in a method to leak cards?

Sounds like that makes wotc more justified since they're, y'know, not specifically going after judges, just people who happened to also be judges.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Zoness posted:

So if Judges don't have previous access to the cards, then wizards isn't targetting judges and is just targetting people who are involved in a method to leak cards?

Sounds like that makes wotc more justified since they're, y'know, not specifically going after judges, just people who happened to also be judges.

Yeah the question is if the shorter bans on the judges weren't so much warranted due to leaking as much as "next time, say something if you know something!". In the latter case they were banned because they were judges that knew something, and wouldn't have been banned if they were joe schmos who knew something.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

black potus posted:

whats the skill tester that puts therapy to shame someone please tell me

Lava Spike.

Think of how many different players you could target with it! And oh god, if they have a planeswalker?! The possibilities are at least in the 2s.

Real answer: Brainstorm.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
*spray paints "who judges the judges" on a wall, the panel frame cuts out part of it though*

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The most skill testing magic card is doomsday...if you don't have a guide open next to you/haven't spent 3 days memorizing every scenario's choice

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Zoness posted:

It's actually insanely dumb because A) spoiling cards before official spoilers is meaningless. B) expecting judges to act as staunch defenders of your intellectual property and punishing them for failing to do so is tragically stupid.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Zoness posted:

Siege Rhino is one of the most skill intensive cards in the game. When Wielded correctly, the card has a much higher power level than even Bloodbraid Elf, as it can gain you life as well as nudge the opponent down. Sometimes it's better than a six-mana corrupt, and I've hit my opponent for as much as 11 life with a single copy of Siege Rhino (3 on the ETB and 2 attacks before it was roasted off the board).

Getting skilled with Siege Rhino has subtle side benefits, as it trains you to constantly play your best 4-drop on turn 4 and not question what your opponent could do. Sequencing doesn't matter, and properly playing siege rhino is a matter of just running the card out.

This post sounds like "I'm bad at magic and lose a lot, why are the cards so unfair!? :("

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zoness posted:

Right. here is the issue. Say you and I are in judge chat, and we see a link to a card image. We click on it, think wow neat. Tweet (new card??) 3 weeks later we're banned for 3 months. Are we the source of the leak? Nope. Did we get banned, when 1000 other schmucks who saw the leaked photos plastered them all over social media did not? Yup.

Nobody objects to WOTC taking action against the source of the leaks. People are objecting to this very wide banhammer that has hit many people who are not directly responsible for the leaks. They're trying to send a message, but the one that is being received is "we're unreasonable and can't be trusted."

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

This post sounds like "I'm bad at magic and lose a lot, why are the cards so unfair!? :("

This post sounds like "I'm an idiot who can't grasp context"

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Zoness posted:

This post sounds like "I'm an idiot who can't grasp context"

You're the one responding to McMagic posts.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Voyager I posted:

You're the one responding to McMagic posts.

To be fair, my doctor prescribed me doing that. One a day, etc.

jassi007 posted:

Right. here is the issue. Say you and I are in judge chat, and we see a link to a card image. We click on it, think wow neat. Tweet (new card??) 3 weeks later we're banned for 3 months. Are we the source of the leak? Nope. Did we get banned, when 1000 other schmucks who saw the leaked photos plastered them all over social media did not? Yup.

Nobody objects to WOTC taking action against the source of the leaks. People are objecting to this very wide banhammer that has hit many people who are not directly responsible for the leaks. They're trying to send a message, but the one that is being received is "we're unreasonable and can't be trusted."

Yeah I mean, on the other hand there's this bit that kind of obfuscates things more:

quote:

We want to underscore that we performed a thorough investigation and determined that these leaks related to multiple card sets over a period of time; this was not a one-time occurrence.

It makes me wonder if the people who werent involved in this one were involved in previous ones. It's possible that everyone is in fact telling the truth here after all.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 22, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Zoness posted:

To be fair, my doctor prescribed me doing that. One a day, etc.

Your doctor took a life insurance policy out on you, ignore their prescription before it kills you.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Zoness posted:

It makes me wonder if the people who werent involved in this one were involved in previous ones. It's possible that everyone is in fact telling the truth here after all.

My immediate assumption was that, WOTC wanted to throw out some bans and could easily and immediately prove Judges have leaked promos in the past (like I said earlier, I heard rumors about FOW Judge Foil before the card was announced, same for Wasteland and Imperial Recruiter)

I doubt an L3 ever saw OGW spoilers, but its pretty easy for me to imagine an RC at an event going "Yo friends, peep this upcoming promo, cool huh?" or similarly being part of a leak and becoming the easy target for WOTC to hammer down on after throwing a ridiculous temper tantrum.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I wish wotc would trademark asscrack and then start issuing bans for any leakers.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Even with that [Zoness's post], there's the fact that leaking a wizard cardboard and then leaking another wizard cardboard a few months later and then maybe even leaking another wizard cardboard a year later are all okay things for a human to do despite what our corporate overlords would have you believe.

I mean, Wizards has the prerogative to suspend or terminate anyone they like from their judge program anytime they want, nobody's denying that. The chief executive of Hasbro can probably have someone suspended from the judge program because he suspected them of trying to murder him by adding extra fluoride to his mansion's water supply. The question is whether we should think as players that they have our best interests at heart and the answer is a pretty unequivocal no in this case because having events to play with, and a community that isn't living in a climate of fear re: sharing and discussing cool things about the game, are all larger positives for the players than having spoilers is a negative, to the extent that having spoilers is a negative at all.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

They don't have to ban anyone. Any bannings are still part of a corporate temper tantrum.

"Oh no now you know about a product we're going to sell a few weeks before we were able to do our marketing reveal! Time to create some bad blood with the community instead of just rolling with it and doing the spoilers earlier to keep the attention on the next set going."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

They don't have to ban anyone. Any bannings are still part of a corporate temper tantrum.

"Oh no now you know about a product we're going to sell a few weeks before we were able to do our marketing reveal! Time to create some bad blood with the community instead of just rolling with it and doing the spoilers earlier to keep the attention on the next set going."

This is essentially a company's consumers letting a company know (if indirectly) what they would like to see as far as news about the game, engagement with the game, etc. and the company sticking their fingers in their ears and saying "la la la can't hear you (also, we're going to ban the people who shared these cool things with you)."

It's literally the sort of thing I would have expected to read about in the GW death thread.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

if you two dont quiet down back there im going to turn this goddamn spoiler season right the gently caress around.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

Even with that [Zoness's post], there's the fact that leaking a wizard cardboard and then leaking another wizard cardboard a few months later and then maybe even leaking another wizard cardboard a year later are all okay things for a human to do despite what our corporate overlords would have you believe.

I mean, Wizards has the prerogative to suspend or terminate anyone they like from their judge program anytime they want, nobody's denying that. The chief executive of Hasbro can probably have someone suspended from the judge program because he suspected them of trying to murder him by adding extra fluoride to his mansion's water supply. The question is whether we should think as players that they have our best interests at heart and the answer is a pretty unequivocal no in this case because having events to play with, and a community that isn't living in a climate of fear re: sharing and discussing cool things about the game, are all larger positives for the players than having spoilers is a negative, to the extent that having spoilers is a negative at all.

The thing is, if you're in a position to leak cards, you presumably

1. have a contract with wizards to have access to them early
2. stole them from someone w/ access
3. are a literal wizard

In case it's 1, standard operating procedure is for the company to break future contracts with the leaking party. In case it's 2 there's probably some legal recourse and in case it's 3 please teach me literal magic.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

if you two dont quiet down back there im going to turn this goddamn spoiler season right the gently caress around.

You're bluffing :colbert:

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Zoness posted:

3. are a literal wizard

In case it's 1, standard operating procedure is for the company to break future contracts with the leaking party. In case it's 2 there's probably some legal recourse and in case it's 3 please teach me literal magic.

Yeah I feel like its obviously unfair to punish people for simply discussing things after the cats out of the bag so to speak, but if you're the person who broke your agreement with wizards or committed theft you're an arsehole and deserve punishment.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Zoness posted:

3. are a literal wizard

4) You saw the spoilers second hand and talked about them

The first 2 are legal issues, you can deal with these people in court. 3 doesn't happen. 4 would never be able to be punished in court so it seems like WotC just decided to be petty and ban those people.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Rimusutera posted:

Yeah I feel like its obviously unfair to punish people for simply discussing things after the cats out of the bag so to speak, but if you're the person who broke your agreement with wizards or committed theft you're an arsehole and deserve punishment.

lmao, it is so not even close to theft and if you think so you are ridiculous

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

1 is breach of contract, not theft. 2 is theft but only of the physical card(s), assuming that they were removed from the possession of the rightful owner and it wasn't just a picture.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

1 is breach of contract, not theft. 2 is theft but only of the physical card(s), assuming that they were removed from the possession of the rightful owner and it wasn't just a picture.

Um, you wouldn't take a picture of a car and share it on the internet, now would you

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

because of how dumb wizards has been about this, it's a little unclear whether someone stole preview cards from judges and posted them or if the judges themselves did it

and the whole mass banning thing doesn't help at all!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I probably would care way less about this if WotC didn't pretend to give a poo poo about the community.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Ciprian Maricon posted:

We're talking about 2 as literal theft of property belonging to a Wizards employee here, I don't know what you're on about.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Rimusutera posted:

We're talking about 2 as literal theft of property belonging to a Wizards employee here, I don't know what you're on about.

He's a judge and he's very, very mad

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ThePeavstenator posted:

4) You saw the spoilers second hand and talked about them

There was someone in this thread whose friend is a judge who got banned for tweeting about the spoilers after reading about it in this very thread.

This is implying that the judges should've somehow tried to limit knowledge of the leak. Somehow.

Like what, somehow expect social media to not get crazy over Wastes and Kozilek? Find a way to game twitter to ban MTGFocus? Be Jace IRL and use their mind magic to make people forget?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Rimusutera posted:

I thought you were equating posting a picture on the internet with theft.

There has been zero physical property stolen, if there had been police would be involved and people wouldn't be getting 3 month slap on the wrist bans and being allowed to return as Regional Coordinators.

Someone got to see cards earlier and leaked them, its happened dozens of times before and no one cared, and WOTC's current fit is really dumb.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Rimusutera posted:

Taking a picture of something you aren't supposed to see and sharing it is not the same as stealing it. If WotC had actual evidence of theft they'd pursue legal action not petty bans from playing wizard poker.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There was someone in this thread whose friend is a judge who got banned for tweeting about the spoilers after reading about it in this very thread.

This is implying that the judges should've somehow tried to limit knowledge of the leak. Somehow.

Like what, somehow expect social media to not get crazy over Wastes and Kozilek? Find a way to game twitter to ban MTGFocus? Be Jace IRL and use their mind magic to make people forget?

it seems like they expect judges to be representatives of the company instead of you know, volunteers who help with the rules

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

The L3 maintaining magicjudges.org (a third party judge site I understand) has suspended it in protest:
http://apps.magicjudges.org/

quote:

At this time I do not know when, or if, the magicjudges.org network of sites will return to normal operation. If you have complaints, I would suggest you direct them to a representative of Wizards of the Coast. In the meantime, given their noted prowess with technology, I have no doubt an alternative location for event staffing, communication and community discussion will be up and running quickly.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is kind of like a game of telephone.

If you look up the actual quote it says he tweeted them after they were in this thread. It doesn't say he got them from here.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Hasbro is an American multinational toy and board game company. It is one of the largest toy makers in the world. The corporate headquarters is located in Pawtucket, Rhode Island.
Please volunteer today.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

odiv posted:

This is kind of like a game of telephone.

If you look up the actual quote it says he tweeted them after they were in this thread. It doesn't say he got them from here.

Oh, my bad.

Still, it was after the cat was out of the bag and my point still stands i.e. was Wizards expecting him to combat the leak somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mandatory lesbian posted:

it seems like they expect judges to be representatives of the company

Then pay the fuckers lol. You make millions in revenue and can't be bothered to pay your officials even at big tournaments anything? If these guys are volunteering their time to officiate your marketing campaign maybe don't act like a giant pissbaby when the people you exploit don't do the exact thing you want.

• Locked thread