Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

khy posted:

I know it seems pedantic to mock the Starkiller in a universe with the Force and Lightsabers and such, but the thing that gets me is it's INCONSISTENT. If a show/movie/whatever makes a rule then I want it to play by that rule, and not to change the rules whenever it's convenient. If a stormtrooper dies instantly from a shot from the bowcaster while wearing stormtrooper armor, then I want to know why someone who's visibly NOT wearing that armor is still jumping around swordfighting. Is he using other more effective armor? Why not give all the troops more effective armor? Likewise, in one shot the bowcaster is strong enough to send two people flying through the air so why doesn't a point-blank hit from it at least knock a guy off a catwalk?

Because The Force.

The dude has the ability to stop laser bolts in mid-air. Maybe he started doing that for the bowcaster, but because bowcaster has a lot more force behind it, he wasn't quite able to. He got hit, but managed to not get knocked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Moose King posted:

The thing with this is that almost the exact same thing happened in ST09, which nerds DID poo poo all over. Now that that specific nerdrage has been come and gone, when they see it in TFA they just go, "Eh, that's just JJ."

Believe me, I was one of the people making GBS threads over it in ST09. Spock watching Vulcan implode STILL makes me sigh and shake my head. It's a goddamn disgrace and I'm glad Gene Roddenberry isn't around to have seen it.

I get overly worked up about my space fiction. Other fiction I overlook a lot more but if it's science-fiction I get a LOT more critical about the science.

enraged_camel posted:

Because The Force.
I really wish the movie would be what actually makes this apparent, and not just people trying to justify it after the fact.

Also, entirely unrelated : I look at your avatar and keep expecting there to be spittle http://i.imgur.com/TivYd1U.webm

khy fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 22, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

Leia wasn't on her way to Tatooine to see obi wan at all. Wtc.

She's looking for a wise old hermit, Obi-Wan's pupil in fact. She sends a pilot to meet an old man on a desert planet about a secret. That's all I'm talking about. It's a similar mission but it's not the same.

khy posted:

I know it seems pedantic to mock the Starkiller in a universe with the Force and Lightsabers and such, but the thing that gets me is it's INCONSISTENT. If a show/movie/whatever makes a rule then I want it to play by that rule, and not to change the rules whenever it's convenient. If a stormtrooper dies instantly from a shot from the bowcaster while wearing stormtrooper armor, then I want to know why someone who's visibly NOT wearing that armor is still jumping around swordfighting. Is he using other more effective armor? Why not give all the troops more effective armor? Likewise, in one shot the bowcaster is strong enough to send two people flying through the air so why doesn't a point-blank hit from it at least knock a guy off a catwalk?

Likewise, if this is set in space, why are the distances ridiculously small? If George Lucas had included a bonus scene in the original Star Wars where the people milling about in Mos Eisley looked up to the sky and saw Alderaan exploding people would be making GBS threads all over the scene, so I refuse to give TFA a pass on this either.

You're nitpicking now. At least your complains about Starkiller Base was grounded in the story, even if you didn't realize it. These are the kinds of complaints that would disappear with a throwaway line about armor or hyperspace bullshit.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Serf posted:

I think it does work, but it sets Luke up to be a really crappy dad. Leaving his daughter to work as a scavenger for some cranky salvage merchant on Jakku is bad. Then again it could be revenge for Obi-Wan ditching him with his uncle on Tatooine while his sister got to live in the lap of luxury on Alderaan.

Ok, after some research it seems that the theory could work because there is at least 10 years difference between the characters.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Just :lol: if you think that Luke isn't going to say, "I am your Father," at some point in the next two movies.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Re: distances

The movie definitely sacrificed the proper sense of the galaxy's scale in favor of its brisk pacing. People get from star system A to star system B so quickly that the whole movie feels like a minor interplanetary feud rather than a galaxy-spanning war.

They could have addressed this with just dialogue. For example, in the scene where R2D2 combines its map with that of BB-8 and they figure out Luke's location, someone could have exclaimed, "that's star system X... it will take us three weeks to get there!" and then Leia could have said, "well, only 2 weeks if you take the Millennium Falcon..." and that would have been sufficient.

Instead we see Rey and Chewie jumping into hyperspace, and coming out literally seconds later. Feels pretty lame.

Serf
May 5, 2011

spacetoaster posted:

Ok, after some research it seems that the theory could work because there is at least 10 years difference between the characters.

Yeah, if Rey was 4-5 years old when she got ditched on Jakku that means a 15-16 year old Kylo Ren would've been responsible for killing off the new Jedi apprentices. Doesn't seem impossible for a Skywalker, especially if the Knight of Ren are other apprentices that he swayed to the dark side.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
If hyperspace is like wormhole travel then near instantaneous travel is exactly what would happen, and there would also be no time dilation. Boom.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"THAT'S not how the FORCE works" was an awesome nod to that.

It's great because Finn is absolutely right.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
A planet that sucking out the energy of a sun sounds incredibly stupid on paper but I thought it worked well thematically in this film. The whole film is about the new taking over from the old, some parasitically (Kylo Ren) and some in harmony and taking up their elders' legacy (Poe, Finn, Rey).

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

khy posted:

I swear to god JJ Abrams takes the phrase "Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" literally, because both this movie and Star Trek have some of the most goddawful science ever.
Ahh, so you've just never seen Star Wars before. Your criticisms make a bit more sense in context.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

I think hyperspace supposed to be less like a wormhole and more like an alternate dimension that lets you go FTL. The answer to time dilation is, per a poorly explained article on Wookieepedia, relativistic shielding.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I know I brought up the hyperspace thing but I prefer to imagine that Star Wars happens in a fictional universe that I am watching on a screen and therefore we don't have to care.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

stinkles1112 posted:

If hyperspace is like wormhole travel then near instantaneous travel is exactly what would happen, and there would also be no time dilation. Boom.

THAT'S not how HYPERSPACE works.

Actually I was discussing with my coworkers - as a kid I wouldn't have cared if the science is bad, I would have enjoyed it if star trek teleporters were present and the lightsabers could shoot out beams of light, and if people had force-jetpacks to fly through the skies. The older I get the more I tend to pick at the science.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

The movie definitely sacrificed the proper sense of the galaxy's scale in favor of its brisk pacing. People get from star system A to star system B so quickly that the whole movie feels like a minor interplanetary feud rather than a galaxy-spanning war.

Please, tell us how you would have done it.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

khy posted:

That's NOT how hyperspace works.

Actually I was discussing with my coworkers - as a kid I wouldn't have cared if the science is bad, I would have enjoyed it if star trek teleporters were present and the lightsabers could shoot out beams of light, and if people had force-jetpacks to fly through the skies. The older I get the more I tend to pick at the science.

How does hyperspace work?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

khy posted:

It's a shame that you understand fiction and storytelling less as you grow older.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Empress Theonora posted:

How does hyperspace work?

Psst that's a quote from the movie FYI

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

khy posted:

There is no science in Star Wars.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

why do you want to see 10 minutes of hyperspace travel every time the main characters go to a different planet

khy
Aug 15, 2005

ThePutty posted:

why do you need to see 10 minutes of hyperspace travel every time the main characters go to a different planet

It worked in the original trilogy. The transit scenes were a great point to kick back, play chess, practice using a highly destructive energy weapon in a confined area while blindfolded, that sort of thing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

By that measurement Attack of the Clones is actually the best movie. I think it's the one that has the clearest hyperspace travel time with the mostest going on while the characters are in hyperspace.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

khy posted:

It worked in the original trilogy. The transit scenes were a great point to kick back, play chess, practice using a highly destructive energy weapon in a confined area while blindfolded, that sort of thing.

Are you sure the Falcon is not intercut with events on star killer base? I'm not sure the transition is really an abrupt as you're remembering you're remembering.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ThePutty posted:

why do you want to see 10 minutes of hyperspace travel every time the main characters go to a different planet

It gives you a chance to have characters talk to each other when they're not in the middle of action? Like in ANH.

Arglebargle III posted:

Are you sure the Falcon is not intercut with events on star killer base? I'm not sure the transition is really an abrupt as you're remembering you're remembering.

The movie just moves too fast.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think there's expedient ways to add a sense of time & distance (include exterior shots of the ship's journey, or cut to a different scene inbetween departure/arrival) but ultimately I don't think it was that big a problem.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Serf posted:

Yeah, if Rey was 4-5 years old when she got ditched on Jakku that means a 15-16 year old Kylo Ren would've been responsible for killing off the new Jedi apprentices. Doesn't seem impossible for a Skywalker, especially if the Knight of Ren are other apprentices that he swayed to the dark side.

So who dropped her off on jakku? I don't think luke would have just abandoned her. I think Luke thought she was dead and Ren (struggling with the light side) couldn't kill his little cousin (so he dropped her off). Remember in the movie when they mentioned Rey and Ren was like: "WHAT GIRL?".

OMG Serf. I think we figured it out.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

khy posted:

If a stormtrooper dies instantly from a shot from the bowcaster while wearing stormtrooper armor, then I want to know why someone who's visibly NOT wearing that armor is still jumping around swordfighting. Is he using other more effective armor? Why not give all the troops more effective armor? Likewise, in one shot the bowcaster is strong enough to send two people flying through the air so why doesn't a point-blank hit from it at least knock a guy off a catwalk?

Umm, one thing that is 100% clear from the movies is that stormtrooper armor does nothing to stop a blaster. In fact all the evidence points to it being way worse than nothing. Plenty of people survive blaster shots in the movies. I don't think they ever were wearing stormtrooper armor.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

It gives you a chance to have characters talk to each other when they're not in the middle of action? Like in ANH.

The movie just moves too fast.
Have you watched ANH recently? The travel times are still very minimal, and it is purely an artifact of the generally slower paced dialogue and more static sets. The fact that Tarkin and Vader basically talk at each other while completely stationary, everyone besides Luke-in-training is stationary on the Falcon, it all lends itself to this more relaxed feeling.

The fact that half the cast is geriatric as well. Vader is very slow and deliberate in his movements, Tarkin and Kenobi are both OLD DUDES.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The shot that hit Ren was from a long way and it lost momentum.

His force body armor was only half effective because he just killed his dad and was distracted.

Who cares.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Ren also spent like a non-negligible amount of the big final duel pounding his chest and trying very hard to act like he wasn't completely hosed by that shot.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

euphronius posted:

The shot that hit Ren was from a long way and it lost momentum.

His force body armor was only half effective because he just killed his dad and was distracted.

Who cares.

Every time Kylo Ren takes off his helmet I want you to imagine this

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

frest posted:

Have you watched ANH recently? The travel times are still very minimal, and it is purely an artifact of the generally slower paced dialogue and more static sets. The fact that Tarkin and Vader basically talk at each other while completely stationary, everyone besides Luke-in-training is stationary on the Falcon, it all lends itself to this more relaxed feeling.

The fact that half the cast is geriatric as well. Vader is very slow and deliberate in his movements, Tarkin and Kenobi are both OLD DUDES.

The scene on the falcon there establishes that time is elapsing. TFA does not have scenes like that to establish that time elapses between cuts.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

ThePutty posted:

So that we can have these scenes

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

Umm, one thing that is 100% clear from the movies is that stormtrooper armor does nothing to stop a blaster. In fact all the evidence points to it being way worse than nothing. Plenty of people survive blaster shots in the movies. I don't think they ever were wearing stormtrooper armor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym-xHehd4NI

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The movies don't really ever tell us who did or did not die of the nameless characters they just fall down and are never mentioned again. Maybe 90% of the storm troopers ultimately survived every on screen fight. Once they are knocked down and out of the fight the movie generally stops following them and doesn't cut to hospital shots of them treating busted ribs or broken arms or whatever. Maybe the armor changes the death rate from 75% to 63% or something statistical like that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

The scene on the falcon there establishes that time is elapsing. TFA does not have scenes like that to establish that time elapses between cuts.

JJ made the choice to go go go go go through the whole movie except the last shot hahah.

It's just a choice he made.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Wanna see the Shigeru Miyamoto cut of Star Wars where Luke shakes hands with all the wounded stormtroopers at the hospital.

Serf
May 5, 2011

In the beginning of the movie, when the village on Jakku has been taken over by the First Order and Kylo Ren is talking with Sydow's character I had a thought: it could be an oblique reference to Ren's parentage.

Sydow: You cannot deny the truth that is your family.

Kylo Ren: You're so right

*chop*

I think you could take that scene as Kylo Ren acting out something from his dad's past: shooting Greedo. Ren is exactly the kinda guy who would think that the coolest thing his dad did was shoot a person in cold blood and seek to emulate it in his own way. So a dude mouths off to Kylo Ren and he chops him in half for it.

Of course he misses the fact that Han (whether he shot first, second, or at the same time) was totally justified in that since Greedo had a gun on him and was planning to kill him. Kylo Ren just cuts down an old, restrained man and goes "eh, close enough"

Hoopaloops
Oct 21, 2005
How badly hurt is Kylo Ren at the end of the film? We definitely saw Rey slash his cloak, poke a hole through his shoulder, and slash across his face, not to mention Chewie's bowcaster bolt in his side. Did Rey also chop off his hand? Minimally we saw his lightsabre fall away from his hand - could be a good parallel to Vader if he gets a few mechanical limbs before the next film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

Serf posted:

Kylo Ren: You're so right

Am I the only one who heard "Yousa right?"

That's not a joke. I actually heard that.

• Locked thread