Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Take a break, Flaky. Maybe eat some bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Flaky tell us about a successful diet that you have followed that has led to weight loss, or if you are a healthy weight, tell us about a successful diet that you have followed that has led to a healthy and enjoyable life

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Flaky should come back to YLLS and call me a shill again when I point out how unreliable self-reported food intake data is

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I just don't understand what possible other motive you might have for trying to prove a point using a paper entirely, 100% funded by Coke. Even fishmech probably would have investigated conflicts of interest in the literature he was quoting. You're either a shill or an idiot :shrug:

Flaky fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 22, 2015

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Flaky posted:

"personal anecdote"

"exercise for weight loss"

"asceticism"

"eat what you want"

"willpower"

"low-cal"

"Simply reducing calories won't necessarily make you lose weight if you are eating a ton, so you have to figure out where your target needs to be so that you are at a deficit, however slight, overall."

Jesus just stop.

Lol

I'm well aware that my anecdote isn't data, but it can provide a focus for further posting and lends context to a conversational discussion like, say, a thread on something awful. Others posted personal anecdotes and I was interested and encouraged, and so I did the same in case others were interested. If you aren't interested, you can ignore it or gently caress right off.

Willpower is obviously poor shorthand for a complex group of ideas if this were a scientific paper, but as it is a discussion with humans rather than robots, the point should be clear in context. Only a moron or disingenuous troll would read anything posted on this thread as willpower magically affecting weight through some sort of lipokenesis woo. You can eat what you want IF you can confine it to a limited amount of calories per [time unit], which requires information, planning, and responsible choices on other food. This just means no type of food is categorically off limits. Sometimes it's hard to make those plans or choices because of stress, money, time, or ignorance. I have proposed remedies to all of those barriers upthread. Absent those barriers, or edge case psychological issues, it is indeed merely a matter of willpower to resist a second donut or whatever it is you crave which would put you over your calorie goal.

The idea that maintaining a caloric deficit requires a clinical setting is preposterous. I grant that it would be more difficult to manage under the deleterious conditions I mention above. Obviously, of course, once a goal weight is reached the deficit needs to be increased to a rough equality.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Since you're so keen on anecdote, can you please explain how TheBalor managed to maintain a caloric deficit of something like 50-60% for several months without any great effort or getting hungry please? He was apparently tracking his calories so his data could reasonably be considered accurate.

TheBalor posted:

While monotonous, it was very filling, to the point where it wasn't too great a hardship to end some days on 1100-1200 calories.

Because I think if you adapted your theorising to be able to explain that piece of evidence, you would basically be agreeing with me.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 22, 2015

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Drink water when you are hungry, or eat fruit and vegetables

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Go away, Flaky. I had this beautiful post on NHANES all set up, and now I know it's just going to get drowned out by shitposting.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Please post it. I think you are at least capable of being convinced based on evidence, or at least devoting enough time to hear both sides of what is a very complex scientific argument. Plus you sound like someone who may be in a position to actually make a difference, which is an added bonus.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Go away, Flaky. I had this beautiful post on NHANES all set up, and now I know it's just going to get drowned out by shitposting.

:justpost:

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Flaky posted:

Since you're so keen on anecdote, can you please explain how TheBalor managed to maintain a caloric deficit of something like 50-60% for several months without any great effort or getting hungry please? He was apparently tracking his calories so his data could reasonably be considered accurate.

Because I think if you adapted your theorising to be able to explain that piece of evidence, you would basically be agreeing with me.

I never said I maintained that all the time. I said it wasn't too great a hardship sometimes. Also, did you read my first post? I said that my weight loss has continued at pretty much the same pace now that I'm just on calorie restriction. It is slower than what I experienced in the first month or two of the diet, but I would expect a 300+ lb man to lose weight faster than someone closer to 200. In terms of what I've been experiencing for the past few months, it's the same.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
would you say you were equalling the calorie restriction though? Or finding it as easy? What made you decide to start counting calories?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Flaky posted:

would you say you were equalling the calorie restriction though? Or finding it as easy? What made you decide to start counting calories?

Like I said in my larger post, I wasn't counting calories at all to start, just carbs, so I can't tell you if I'm equalizing the restriction. I only started counting calories in late August because my progress had slowed down, so I wanted to be more rigorous. I wouldn't say it was terribly difficult, just expensive (in Korea) and monotonous.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Flaky, are you trying to make a point or just trying to poo poo on the guy for sharing a story I honestly can't tell.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Nevvy Z posted:

Flaky, are you trying to make a point or just trying to poo poo on the guy for sharing a story I honestly can't tell.

I'm not clear, though I'm happy to admit my post was rambling. The point of my story was just that I lost weight on low carb/calorie restriction, got tired of it and switched to calorie restriction alone, and have continued to lose weight. Tangerines can be part of my diet again, and I am content.

TheBalor fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 22, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Flaky tell us about a successful diet that you have followed that has led to weight loss, or if you are a healthy weight, tell us about a successful diet that you have followed that has led to a healthy and enjoyable life

Flaky can you do this thing? Thank

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009
Am i wrong in assuming the consensus in this thread is that obesity has nothing to do with diet, exercise, lack of exercise or poor living habits?

Because that's what the platitude of reading the last few pages and the first pages of this thread say...and it scares the poo poo out of me that some seem to think that they are just the poor victim of an immaterial curse.

Has anyone in here tried a vegan diet? It provides plenty of fill and isn't as calorie dense as a the standard north american diet.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You are wrong and veganism is not a go to for cal deficits; it'll rather just make it harder to get all your IDAA.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lots of fat fucks in tcutethread

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Coylter posted:

Am i wrong in assuming the consensus in this thread is that obesity has nothing to do with diet, exercise, lack of exercise or poor living habits?

Because that's what the platitude of reading the last few pages and the first pages of this thread say...and it scares the poo poo out of me that some seem to think that they are just the poor victim of an immaterial curse.

Has anyone in here tried a vegan diet? It provides plenty of fill and isn't as calorie dense as a the standard north american diet.

The consensus prior to Flaky's arrival and low-carb shitposting was that caloric intake (diet) and output(exercise) are the main determinants of weight change. A tide of new, bad posters have followed him in like a foul wind. Please don't be one of them.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Mr. Wookums posted:

You are wrong and veganism is not a go to for cal deficits; it'll rather just make it harder to get all your IDAA.

The point isn't to go for cal deficits, the point is eating food that doesn't make you sick. Since a vegan diet has more volume you'll feel full and your digestive track will have to work to push all that poo poo down. Also i don't understand your point about IDAA.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Coylter posted:

The point isn't to go for cal deficits, the point is eating food that doesn't make you sick. Since a vegan diet has more volume you'll feel full and your digestive track will have to work to push all that poo poo down. Also i don't understand your point about IDAA.
Ah I didn't know a trait of veganism was that the gravity of the food was so low it was impossible to overeat. Thanks. The point about IDAA is that a vegan diet will literally make you sick from an almino acid deficiency.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Coylter posted:

Vegan diets are a great way to get actual broad-spectrum malnutrition if you're not diligent about seeking out appropriate plant/non-animal sources of various things, which aren't easy to get in common plant derived foods.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yes eating vegetables is bad for you

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Coylter posted:

"A vegan diet" can include a hell of a lot of beer, oreos, caramelized peanuts, etc. and will not include sufficient amounts of many key nutrients unless you devote a lot of time and effort into ensuring otherwise.

Going vegan for health reasons is dumb as all hell.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

JFairfax posted:

Yes eating vegetables is bad for you

Is this where we stand in this discussion?

Seriously, if you eat vegan and suffer from malnutrition you might also be giant idiot which is a much more important and immediate problem.

Bryter posted:

"A vegan diet" can include a hell of a lot of beer, oreos, caramelized peanuts, etc. and will not include sufficient amounts of many key nutrients unless you devote a lot of time and effort into ensuring otherwise.

I'm not advocating idiocy...

I might have shot too large saying vegan, what i really mean is a whole food diet. Which is a substrate of veganism if you want.

Mr. Wookums posted:

Ah I didn't know a trait of veganism was that the gravity of the food was so low it was impossible to overeat. Thanks. The point about IDAA is that a vegan diet will literally make you sick from an almino acid deficiency.

There are plenty of ways of getting amino acids in a vegan diet.

Coylter fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 22, 2015

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Coylter posted:

I'm not advocating idiocy...

I might have shot too large saying vegan, what i really mean is a whole food diet. Which is a substrate of veganism if you want.

Suggesting a vegan diet for weight loss is advocating idiocy.

A whole food diet tends to include meat and eggs, which weren't vegan last time I checked!

Coylter posted:

Those ways are really difficult to get into the habit of and maintain, it is stupidity to suggest that people who are already trying to break the habit of overeating add this unnecessary burden.

Bryter fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 22, 2015

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Bryter posted:

Suggesting a vegan diet for weight loss is advocating idiocy.

A whole food diet tends to include meat and eggs, which weren't vegan last time I checked!

Those ways are really difficult to get into the habit of and maintain, it is stupidity to suggest that people who are already trying to break the habit of overeating add this unnecessary burden.

http://www.amazon.ca/Whole-Rethinking-Nutrition-Colin-Campbell/dp/1937856240

This is my definition of whole diet: Fruits, vegetables, starch, beans, lentils etc... poo poo that grows from plants and isn't processed.

edit: eating beans is difficult to get into a habit? what?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Coylter posted:

I would like you to define this.

Coylter posted:

And all of them require a lot more work then having a small bit of animal foods every so often, which is why vegetarianism is preferable for the average person.

Coylter posted:

http://www.amazon.ca/Whole-Rethinking-Nutrition-Colin-Campbell/dp/1937856240

This is my definition of whole diet: Fruits, vegetables, starch, beans, lentils etc... poo poo that grows from plants and isn't processed.

So it's so random fad diet, well ok. I'll remind you that "processed" is a meaningless adjective for food.

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

fishmech posted:

I would like you to define this.

And all of them require a lot more work then having a small bit of animal foods every so often, which is why vegetarianism is preferable for the average person.

Look up my previous post and eating beans, soy beans, flax seeds etc. isn't hard. It simply isn't.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Look eating sensible portions of unprocessed food and exercising will not help you loose weight.

You loving idiots this is why we need fat shaming more and more

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

JFairfax posted:

Look eating sensible portions of unprocessed food and exercising will not help you loose weight.

You loving idiots this is why we need fat shaming more and more

Yes because humans have always had an obesity problem...oh i forgot, its the loving air.

Vegans have lower BMI than any other diet.

edit: i came across this guy on youtube who's pretty entertaining and links all of his sources. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmRiUB3tLSY

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I want to see a convoy of rascals tumbling off the golden gate bridge and flooding San Francisco with an obese driven tsunami

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Coylter posted:

Yes because humans have always had an obesity problem...oh i forgot, its the loving air.

Vegans have lower BMI than any other diet.
I believe you'll see that the holocaust diet had a lower BMI back in the 40's.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Fat people. Eat less. Exercise more

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Mr. Wookums posted:

I believe you'll see that the holocaust diet had a lower BMI back in the 40's.

Climbing new heights of discourse here with the godwin.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Coylter posted:

"Eat beans" is not adequate nutritional planning for a vegan diet, and in any case eating beans is, in fact, pretty difficult to start and stick to for many people who do not have the time or knowledge to prepare them in a way that is not incredibly boring and bland.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Bryter posted:

When a vegan diet has negative health effects, doesn't it technically count as an eating disorder? A for-the-most-part-socially-accepted form of orthorexia?

I'm disinclined to call behavior expressing a mental illness "dumb".

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Coylter posted:

Climbing new heights of discourse here with the godwin.
Which is sadly perfectly sound with your logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009

Bryter posted:

"Eat beans" is not adequate nutritional planning for a vegan diet, and in any case eating beans is, in fact, pretty difficult to start and stick to for many people who do not have the time or knowledge to prepare them in a way that is not incredibly boring and bland.

What did you seriously take that as a "Eat only beans" statement.

They sell them in a can which you can mix with tomato paste or something and are absolutely fine to eat. I ate cans of straight beans as my lunch for over a year and they never lost their appeal. Beans are delicious.

Mr. Wookums posted:

Which is sadly perfectly sound with your logic.

Yes, people who do not eat have a low BMI. It's important to have a diet that is conductive to living.

Jesus loving christ.

• Locked thread