Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

people mod the gently caress out of minecraft to the point where it's unrecognizable and the base game of minecraft is trash.

i don't see why starbound is any different. people obsess over block games.

I'm here to argue that Minecraft, at its core, is more fun than vanilla Starbound.

Well, there's my argument, see ya later!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006
Can you put unicode characters in SA titles?
Starbound: 💩

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm pretty sure I've seen some IPA unicode in a thread title at least once, but I gotta update my unicode character set somehow because that just displays as a box with some garbage numbers in it

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen some IPA unicode in a thread title at least once, but I gotta update my unicode character set somehow because that just displays as a box with some garbage numbers in it

Do it! You'll experience the same feeling you get from a Starbound update. You can read my post as it was intended to be read.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm here to argue that Minecraft, at its core, is more fun than vanilla Starbound.

Well, there's my argument, see ya later!

vanilla minecraft is fun

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I didn't dislike vanilla minecraft. Crafting Survival that's neat to explore especially if you don't spoil yourself.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

thejacob posted:

I remember back when starbound first hit steam, and a friend talked me into part of a 4-pack.

Same friend had also talked me into buying cube world.

I don't talk to him anymore.

seeing what starbound has turned into makes me happy that I tried a cracked version of cube world instead of giving up my monies

also holy poo poo at that starbound 'what we did in 2015' post those fucks should maybe try to make a decent game instead of flying out to cons and jerking each other off

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oddium posted:

vanilla minecraft is fun

um, wow

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

oddium posted:

vanilla minecraft is fun

Mods please ban this Madman

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
has anything been fixed yet?

Are they still gathering updates to release once a year instead of throughout the year?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

nightlies? more like yearlies

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
I've been thinking about starbound and touch on damage, and after playing it a bit i feel like i have to come to defense of it

Have you read what the devs said about this sort of thing? They understand some people don't like it, but it's a crucial part of the gameplay right now. There's very limited way you can play out combat, especially in a procedurally generated world, that doesn't just result in mobs getting stuck or becoming stale. The devs want the game to be more of a platformer, since that's mainly what the game is, & to better do that, you need "safe zone" & "danger zones". The safe zones are where you're not hurt, & the danger zones are where you are hurt, but mobs that use ranged attack just get kited to a position in where the player puts themselves in either an unreachable spot, yet can still hit the enemy, or simply moves out of the line of fire just enough to avoid being hit, before returning to the same place to damage the enemy again. To repeat, the combat system becomes stale, & more of a task then combat. Enemies that use combat abilities, like how the adult ploptop does, just suffer the same delema, but with the player moving through the enemy to completely avoid the attack altogether, meaning that there has to be a consequence since the only other option to make the adult ploptop a danger to the player is to make it do a huge AOE, or have touch damage(which it now does).

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the touch damage either, but people should really read the mountains upon mountains of text the devs go out of their way to explain the reasoning behind the decision, rather than just having another post hit front page again & again begging for the opposite. Personally, I think the game needs both, but as it stands right now, the game needs far more important things than just a overhaul on touch damage. The game is in beta for crying out loud & there are enemies that currently do more that just touch damage(The poptops). And they're working on monsters in the nightly as we speak too. Touch damage should stay, but it should be a priority for the AI's to use attacks rather than to walk on you.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rrussom posted:

I've been thinking about starbound and touch on damage, and after playing it a bit i feel like i have to come to defense of it

Have you read what the devs said about this sort of thing? They understand some people don't like it, but it's a crucial part of the gameplay right now. There's very limited way you can play out combat, especially in a procedurally generated world, that doesn't just result in mobs getting stuck or becoming stale. The devs want the game to be more of a platformer, since that's mainly what the game is, & to better do that, you need "safe zone" & "danger zones". The safe zones are where you're not hurt, & the danger zones are where you are hurt, but mobs that use ranged attack just get kited to a position in where the player puts themselves in either an unreachable spot, yet can still hit the enemy, or simply moves out of the line of fire just enough to avoid being hit, before returning to the same place to damage the enemy again. To repeat, the combat system becomes stale, & more of a task then combat. Enemies that use combat abilities, like how the adult ploptop does, just suffer the same delema, but with the player moving through the enemy to completely avoid the attack altogether, meaning that there has to be a consequence since the only other option to make the adult ploptop a danger to the player is to make it do a huge AOE, or have touch damage(which it now does).

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the touch damage either, but people should really read the mountains upon mountains of text the devs go out of their way to explain the reasoning behind the decision, rather than just having another post hit front page again & again begging for the opposite. Personally, I think the game needs both, but as it stands right now, the game needs far more important things than just a overhaul on touch damage. The game is in beta for crying out loud & there are enemies that currently do more that just touch damage(The poptops). And they're working on monsters in the nightly as we speak too. Touch damage should stay, but it should be a priority for the AI's to use attacks rather than to walk on you.

Source your quotes.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I've been playing other stuff like the excellent Nom Nom Galaxy, has starbound reached a content complete version playable start to finish yet?

Oh ..

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Slime posted:

Source your quotes.

you.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

gasp!

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Rrussom posted:

I think most people's issue is that.. frankly? Touch damage is a lazy way to handle this issue. A lot of the issues you list can be handled simply by giving enemies more mobility options. Being able to sprint or jump high, even being able to pass through blocks or tunnel through them would solve many of these issues. Likewise, with the passing through enemies you could simply make them solid, or make bumping into them cause you to be bounced backwards. Heck, I'm not even listing all of the options you could do besides just have touch damage as the go to solution. That isn't to say you can't have touch damage, but having it on everything doesn't really make sense.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

They want touch damage to make th egame more of a platformer but they're still pruning away aspects of player mobility, and most monsters use the same pathing as pre-touch damage except they now just get on you after performing their pointless attack animation.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Nobody complains about touch damage in other side scrolling games, so I don't see what the big fuss is about it being in what is basically Terraria in Space. Maybe stop bumping into enemies like the clumsy idiots that you are?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Starhawk64 posted:

Nobody complains about touch damage in other side scrolling games, so I don't see what the big fuss is about it being in what is basically Terraria in Space. Maybe stop bumping into enemies like the clumsy idiots that you are?

This game's controls are fiddly as poo poo, especially with the molasses-like backwards walking. Chucklefish, why are you against FUN? You're designing a game, after all.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Touch damage would be fine if the monsters had even remotely varied movement patterns, as has been said. Imagine if every single monster in Terraria used the Zombie AI and could kill you in 5 hits.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

King Lazer posted:

Touch damage would be fine if the monsters had even remotely varied movement patterns, as has been said. Imagine if every single monster in Terraria used the Zombie AI and could kill you in 5 hits.

That doesnt sound bad, Zombines were my favorite enemy

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Starhawk64 posted:

Hmm yes now all this flip-flopping makes perfect sense

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

What are you talking about? Side-scrollers on the NES thirty years ago had enemy projectiles and attack patterns. This is not groundbreaking poo poo Chucklefish is attempting here.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

dragon_pamcake posted:

What are you talking about? Side-scrollers on the NES thirty years ago had enemy projectiles and attack patterns. This is not groundbreaking poo poo Chucklefish is attempting here.

That's what I'm talking about. Touch damage is an established videogame trope. To see people flip their poo poo over the inclusion of it in this game amuses me.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You are clearly trolling but I'm a big idiot so that evens this out a bit

The issue with Starbound's touch-damage right now isn't so much the touch-damage itself, but an entire set of problems that come with it. If the game, from the outset, had designed their combat around touch-damage, this would have been something that a few people would have been against maybe sometime like two years ago and we all would have moved on like with Terraria. What's actually happening is C-Fish are waffling back and forth in regards to what they want out of the game's combat and it's making it universally lovely. As was said, the mobs as they are right now are not designed around touch-damage. They have their own little attacks but their AI is completely devoted to staying as close to you as possible at all times, which combined with how garbage it is to move around in Starbound right now (and it keeps getting worse, for example they removed Air-Dashing for the dash tech because it's going to be upgradable later, but the upgrades aren't in so we just get a garbage tech that has like, no use. Also rocket jump doesn't work right now and it's my favorite) means that combat, as it stands right now, is "hit this thing as many times as you can because it's going to be lodged in your sprite the second it closes and you're going to take constant damage and your attack hitboxes are going to sweep right over/past it and guns are going to be useless until you die, also it moves faster than you do at all times, especially when you're trying to jump away backwards, the dash you would normally use to get away has been neutered and also almost every enemy has their own dash attack or a ranged attack"

but I think my biggest problem with the touch-damage is that there was a big fuss and a lot of effort going into the non-touch-damage mechanics and then we actually got to play with those and they were clearly better. This isn't a situation where, theoretically, non-touch-damage combat would be better. Its a situation where we literally had a superior combat system in and now they're backpedaling on it because game design is hard

in other words, im gay

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

also lmao at "other games do it, so it must be okay"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

someone whiteknighting this game that isn't just grimcreap shitposting? :captainpop:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Guys, there's no universal touch damage in Dark Souls :colbert:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah but Super Mario did it in 1985 so it's okay

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

also lmao at "other games do it, so it must be okay"

Except thats a legit argument, like why the gently caress are you mad at touch damage when other games you probably do like ARE using it?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't like games

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't like games

Thats all well and good, but i think you are mistaken, this isnt YCS. if you havent anything to say about Starbound that isnt shitposting or trolling please leave the thread.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I will not be talked to like in my own thread

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
Get used to it, I will not suffer this thread to be derailed into nigh a wasteland of assholes acting like this was 4chan.

Come on people, show us the creative things you've been building or all the cool things you've found in the game. Show off some cool mods!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Legitimately do that, though, I need a bunch of images for the OP which I will definitely be updating soon. Eventually. I have a folder set aside and everything, just been busy is all.

e: I'd like to clarify that I am actually going to update the OP and I have a bunch of images that I, myself, took of some of the new subbiome stuff, but I'm giving the thread a chance to contribute too. Some of you have already submitted stuff! Keep it coming!

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 28, 2015

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah but Super Mario did it in 1985 so it's okay

gently caress, I am terrible at making my point clear. I should have said that to balance the touch damage even those old rear end games gave you tons of options for avoiding damage and fighting back. Wall climbing, dash jumping, Mario's various suits, Rush Jet and all that poo poo help the player avoid enemies and obstacles. More importantly, those enemies died in very few hits unless they looked like a bullet sponge so it wasn't a tedious nightmare to play for an hour.

Also these enemies spawned in set points in a designed level. This doesn't work with randomly generated terrain that is much more likely to gently caress the player than the enemies.

Touch damage is acceptable, if the players are given decent tools to AVOID it at the beginning of the game, not buried in some godforsaken tech tree or not loving programmed in yet.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Starhawk64 posted:

Terraria combat sucks, though

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
much like good old mario, starbound has highly thought through level design that is an integral part of combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I would go far beyond that and say that Starbound has far more thought and effort put into it than the likes of many mario games and even games like Majoras Mask or Link to the past. I know one of the many ceaseless complaints people have is that they claim updates are far too spaced out, but i see how necessary that is when you're constantly packing a huge amount of content into the game. I prefer to think as each new update its own, free, expansion.

• Locked thread