Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

He said the helmets protect against smoke, but not gas. So it's not that they are lovely, but just designed for the types of environments stormtroopers expect to find themselves in.

Yes, that is the point. They protect against smoke but not against poison gas or toxic environments which seem an extremely likely thing for Stormtroopers to have to deal with. The armor they have is certainly shiny but it is easily circumvented and kind of lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Is the star wars galaxy even SUPPOSED to seem big? You can make sci-fi where travel is hard and difficult and time consuming but it's also valid to make a universe where travel is quick and cheap and easy.

Is there any reason it's actually bad to make the universe just a place people can move around in in their space ships pretty fast and easy? It seems like the one biome thing is since star wars planets are basically supposed to be one location each.

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
New Hope Luke's flaws:
Naive
Farmboy
Sucks at the force (only used riiight at the end to guide the torps into the exhaust port)
Whiny
Adopted

Mary Sue's flaws:
Nothing
Wants to get back to tatooine

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Mendicant posted:

Saw the film, hated the lead girl, Mary Sue.

Fake Star Wars fan spotted.

Danger posted:

Can you explain what that is?

When they let a woman do the things men do in every other genre movie ever made.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Mendicant posted:

You're about a day late and dollar short with this take.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I just want to reiterate my love for Poe "Nick Miller in space" Dameron. That "Do I talk now? Do you talk now? It's hard to know, with the mask, the thing, there, it's hard to know" exchange really set me up to enjoy this movie.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mendicant posted:

New Hope Luke's flaws:
Naive
Farmboy
Sucks at the force (only used riiight at the end to guide the torps into the exhaust port)
Whiny
Adopted

Mary Sue's flaws:
Nothing
Wants to get back to tatooine

You're right, I like this girl a lot better. Luke was a buster.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
I like how being adopted by family is a flaw but abandoned to indentured servitude is apparently not.

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
*Learns of the very existance of the force*
*two days later*
*jedi mind tricks out of prison*

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
*defeats darth vader 2.0 in battle of force*

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mendicant posted:

Her name was Rey actually how did you hear Mary Sue

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mendicant posted:

Lmao

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phylodox posted:

I just want to reiterate my love for Poe "Nick Miller in space" Dameron. That "Do I talk now? Do you talk now? It's hard to know, with the mask, the thing, there, it's hard to know" exchange really set me up to enjoy this movie.

Oh poo poo that's who he reminded me of! I cracked up at that part and I kept thinking it reminded me of another character but couldn't remember who.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Mary Sue's Flaws:
Probably wouldn't kiss me if we met IRL just like those stuck-up girls at my high sch--

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
At what power level was Rey supposed to learn force persuade? Or is it a perk maybe she picked up because her CHR maybe got a boost from the torture?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Mendicant posted:

He's really more like wannabe Vader 2.0 but he clearly sucks at it. Overall, not really as impressive as blowing up the Death Star.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They reeeeally seemed to be hinting that Rey had some history with the force that she isn't aware of or won't acknowledge.

We've only been told a PORTION

of her story, so it's a little early to cry foul at her abilities.

However, what was up with her big goofy "I BYPASSED the motivator!" smile? I didn't get it. Was she proud of herself for figuring it out or did she laugh at solving the problem through yanking wires?

The joke must've gone over my head.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Empress Theonora posted:

When they let a woman do the things men do in every other genre movie ever made.

Yeah uh I've been noticing this theme in a lot of the Rey criticisms.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Youthful exuberance is a force power I think. Persuade is probably just higher up the skill tree so she invested her points wisely.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mendicant posted:

*two days later*

The jedi mindtrick almost backfired the first time she tried it.

But thank you for your opinion!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Danger posted:

I like how being adopted by family is a flaw but abandoned to indentured servitude is apparently not.

Yeah, you beat me to it, but listing "adopted" under Luke's flaws was pretty hosed up. And giving the benefit of the doubt (that his being adopted in the way he was is a sign that he didn't have a perfect childhood), then ignoring Rey's situation is some serious selective amnesia.

Mendicant
Sep 22, 2015

by zen death robot
*flies millennium falcon really well*
*repairs falcon better than han solo*

if luke was doing this in a new hope peeps would be rightfully rolling there eyes

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Though I enjoyed it overall quite a bit, I have a few lingering gripes. The animation showing the map being completed was super cheesy, and made you wonder why they needed R2's input at all (it was literally a jigsaw puzzle piece missing from the galactic map). I also don't understand how Finn survived the Yojimbo-esq finishing slash, or how Kylo Ren shrugged off the bowcaster hit.

Finally it seems like a huge missed opportunity to not give Han Solo at least one scene each with Luke and Lando and it makes me wonder if they're going to bring him back in some capacity. Kylo Ren could reconstruct him as a cyborg as part of his Darth Vader legacy/daddy issues or the Supreme Commander could do so to mess with Ren. Force ghost Han seems unlikely, but it would lend itself well to aping the Kenobi/Yoda dynamic from ESB during Rey's training. Sadistic comedy option - C3P-Sol0.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
everyone complaining about rey being a mary sue is just a sexist akin to the racists complaining about black stormtroopers there i said it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hans corpse was incinerated in the middle of a captive star.

But yeah sure he may come back.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Mendicant posted:

if luke was doing this in a new hope peeps would be rightfully rolling there eyes

were...were we watching the same movie?

:psyduck:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rey's flaws:

- Scrapes off half the surface of Jakku trying to lift off with the Falcon
- Releases the rathtars or whatever, instead of sealing the blast doors to trap the smugglers
- Doesn't know how to use a blaster, makes a fool of herself
- Shits her pants after having the Force-vision and runs away instead of embracing her destiny and becoming a badass right away
- Does not like it when boys hold her hand

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

ChickenWing posted:

were...were we watching the same movie?

:psyduck:

Luke flew an X-Wing better than all the trained X-Wing pilots! It wasn't the Falcon so it was totally different okay

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Mendicant posted:

*a moisture farmer proves the most capable pilot in the Battle of Yavin* thats fine

*a salvager (who works inside spacecraft every day and knows enough about them to identify and extract valuable parts) repairs the Millenium Falcon* loving mary sue bitch

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Piloting a hoverspeeder on a desert planet makes you really good at flying starships. This was established in the OT so it's within The Rules.

Finn surveyed the lightsaber blow and Kylo survived the gutshot because your main characters can't die before the story ends. "They were only grazed" is the only answer you need.

Rey knew how to fix the Falcon because she lived near it for ~15 years and is well versed in the modifications that have been made to it by people in her life.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Supercar Gautier posted:

*a moisture farmer proves the most capable pilot in the Battle of Yavin* thats fine

*a salvager (who works inside spacecraft every day and knows enough about them to identify and extract valuable parts) repairs the Millenium Falcon* loving mary sue bitch

A salvager who was specifically familiar with the Millennium Falcon and the recent work done on it in particular since it'd been basically been sitting on cinderblocks in her backyard for ages.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Mendicant posted:

So basically now you giving Lando poo poo too?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I also don't understand how Finn survived the Yojimbo-esq finishing slash, or how Kylo Ren shrugged off the bowcaster hit.

He can stop regular blaster bolts in mid-air, but bowcaster bolts are way stronger, and Kylo wasn't prepared for it. Bowcaster is an exotic weapon after all.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

bracing for ~puppetmaster~

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

my only complaint about the film is how drawn out the final scene is, it's almost comical the way luke and rey stare at each other, they could have easily had luke turn around rey hand the lightsaber towards him and then cut back to him looking like what ever and then ending the film there

Serf
May 5, 2011

It's really funny how all the stuff Luke and Han do that we just take in stride suddenly requires examination and criticism when a woman does it.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Serf posted:

It's really funny how all the stuff Luke and Han do that we just take in stride suddenly requires examination and criticism when a woman does it.

omfg

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Every design that wasn't from the OT was crap. (Except maybe Kylos shuttle but only because it was huge). Lucas is much better at that stuff than JJ. The budget of this was double that of the prequel movies? Though I suppose that proves with a bit more care and money spent is the difference between seeing a movie once and telling all your friends and seeing a movie twice.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ren was in tons of turmoil and thus was distracted and unfocused.
As to why he didn't explode into a fine red mist after getting gutshot, I am willing to chalk it up to the Force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Mendicant posted:

*two days later*

Let the hate flow through you. It makes you feel powerful and right, so you can cast down the [I]girl[\i] that might raise the suggestion that you don't inherently have more demonstrable power by virtue of not being a girl.

• Locked thread