Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
This is true in any game where tanks are actually able to tank. So yes they may well gently caress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Pavlov posted:

This is true in any game where tanks are actually able to tank. So yes they may well gently caress it up.

Hopefully they'll make it to where:

Stealth class opens up on healer/squishy DPS, and a smart tank/heavy melee DPS can then shift and peel the rogue off their vulnerable friend. Or a bad heavy melee will let their friend die. This is always more fun since it accommodates most playstyles well.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kimsemus posted:

Hopefully they'll make it to where:

Stealth class opens up on healer/squishy DPS, and a smart tank/heavy melee DPS can then shift and peel the rogue off their vulnerable friend. Or a bad heavy melee will let their friend die. This is always more fun since it accommodates most playstyles well.

how long was the stun for daoc shield slam? my terrible memory says like 7s. Anything like that would gently caress any stealther up

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Fauxtool posted:

how long was the stun for daoc shield slam? my terrible memory says like 7s. Anything like that would gently caress any stealther up

I distinctly remember being able to get in at least 3 attacks so at least 6-7s.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Shield Slam (42 shieldspec) used to be a 9 seconds anytime style stun. For Midgard warriors this was enough time to Slam, switch to 2hander and get of 3 attacks on a character without Determination or purge.
I believe they changed the stun to slow on Live though.

What I liked about DAoC "tanks' is that they don't follow the trend of other games that Tank = Defensive = Low DPS. Actually when a Warrior/Hero/Armsman was allowed to get a couple of hits in, their DPS was the highest of all melee classes.
Stealthers and other specific styles from some classes were able to deal higher burst, especially to low armored targets... but in raw DPS the pure tanks were pretty much unmatched. Good old Ragnarok or Annihilation...

DAoC's casters were balanced out by being able to do some extreme damage from range, but as soon as one enemy even looked at them their casting would be interrupted except for one more Quickcast spell.
Modern MMO's allow casters to either channel through incoming damage only delaying the spell's completion by a little, cast unhindered, or heaven forbid even cast while running.
DaoC casters were the true glass cannons. If left alone they could completely wreck your team from range. No other game valued interrupting and peeling as much as DAoC did.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
see I wanted to say 9s but I was thinking that there was no way a game would let you remove someone's ability to play for that long. Old mmos were bonkers

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
If I recall correctly single target Mezmerizes worked upwards of 90 seconds.... zzzzz.....
If your purge wasn't up you could just stand there watching your whole team getting butchered one after another.

However players were given so many tools to deal with Crowd control (Purge, Group Purge, Determination) that it became manageable and teamwork related.
As a Healer I often just let a mezmerize run it's course when I saw the other healer could handle it, and would keep the Purge for when I would get stunned.
Healers also had two instant heals (single and group) for 50-75% hp and a whole bunch of other strong and quick heals so when two good groups fought the winner of the battle was not automatically the one who got in the first mez. It helped but was far from an autowin.

I firmly believe Crowd Control is necessary as it created tactics beyond the typical assist train, both offensively as in the defensive. Also casters need ways to keep pesky mellee of them.
Back in 2003 games weren't able to handle knockback or warp/charge effects like they now do.
So Pushbacks and Teleports are a form of crowd control that has a similar result, but is not perceived as detrimental to the pleasure of the player.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
My favorite tactic was

/target main assist
/follow
/assist
/stick
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite tactic was solo sieging with an earth theurgist. Just casting rock pets at door for 30 min ahead of the zerg so you can take 15 castles in a night.

That or paladin twisting.
Clearly an exploit but they must not have cared since the class wasnt that strong even with having all the chants up at once.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Theurgist is still one of the craziest classes I've seen in an MMO.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I like that they're bringing back bright wizards.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Third World Reggin posted:

My favorite tactic was

/target main assist
/follow
/assist
/stick
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

You mean you actually got to melee in rvr? I'm jealous. I spent most of my time waiting for ranged classes to whittle a siege down enough to rush what few were left.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freakazoid_ posted:

You mean you actually got to melee in rvr? I'm jealous. I spent most of my time waiting for ranged classes to whittle a siege down enough to rush what few were left.

I liked that you could guard and intercept for the ranged so you didnt have to do literally nothing.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

This is so wrong. We left Siege and Keep warfare for the clueless masses. There was no point in sieging a well defended keep if you could just quickly move around and head for another one to take.
If anything it was mainly Mellee classes that dominated in 8v8 open roams, with a few good casters like some scary sorcerers and eldritches (and others). But our Warriors and Savages definately got the most killspam.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
All class information has been updated -- they're currently doing updates to the world map which I'll toss in when done.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So apparently the crafting reveal will be via livestream on the 22nd, so enjoy watching that, somebody.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

you cad, you will be watching it and you know it

Orv
May 4, 2011
I will probably be drugged to gently caress and asleep.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Orv posted:

So apparently the crafting reveal will be via livestream on the 22nd, so enjoy watching that, somebody.

I would watch this

But I gotta return some videotapes

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Nice work on the OP, by the look of that OP the game seems almost ready for launch...

heh, nevermind :P

In any case I won't be looking for tight graphics . As long as the game has a decent UI, good group pvp and delivers on the fully craftable world I'll be in.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I did a dumb thing and finally 'donated' to this game.

The goonfear in the forums is not as bad as other places, but it it still somewhat amusing.

2DCAT fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 18, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011
Make with the link.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
When are they releasing more info on crafting?

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Oh god in the sea of local economy not instanced poo poo storms this one looks like promise. I will buy in for sure as soon as the first beta session rolls around.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Bait and Swatch posted:

When are they releasing more info on crafting?

Dec 22, I believe

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Interesting presentation:

http://camelotunchained.com/v2/crafting-presentation-part-deux-2/

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I don't want to read all that. Someone summarize.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

They're sticking to the dumb pipe organ thing.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Pavlov posted:

I don't want to read all that. Someone summarize.

Missed the first twenty minutes, but: It sounds like they're going for something SWG-ish. For harvesting, most will be done by hand with crafting characters getting more perks, but there will be some automated ways. Depending on what 'ingredients' you use, you'll make the weapon/item either do more damage, or be more durable, or something like that.

Caravans are going to be a big thing as well, and it sounds like in order to bring back resources from one area to the crafting area, you're going to need to setup some type of caravan, which can then be attacked by other realms.

For selling items, they're going the UO route whereas there are individual stores and such that you'll need a license to sell from. Otherwise, you can sell from your personal house.

2DCAT fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 22, 2015

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
Sounds like there is going to be some type of naval combat as well. They're talking about caravans on giant leviathans:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

2DCAT posted:

Missed the first twenty minutes, but: It sounds like they're going for something SWG-ish. For harvesting, most will be done by hand with crafting characters getting more perks, but there will be some automated ways. Depending on what 'ingredients' you use, you'll make the weapon/item either do more damage, or be more durable, or something like that.

Caravans are going to be a big thing as well, and it sounds like in order to bring back resources from one area to the crafting area, you're going to need to setup some type of caravan, which can then be attacked by other realms.

For selling items, they're going the UO route whereas there are individual stores and such that you'll need a license to sell from. Otherwise, you can sell from your personal house.

To be honest, all of these things sound good. I loved LOVED SWG crafting. Attacking caravans is going to promote small group raiding in a big pvp game, which might also be fun and rewarding.

Even the SWG style markets were good, with an AH and ad hoc player shops and selling. All of that was fun.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Maybe this is me stepping into the bad opinion zone, but I really like market-stall economies better in MMOs than centralized auction-houses. Auction houses are way easier to get what you want or make a quick buck on, but always come off seeming really boring. Checking through market stalls makes it feel more like going to a rummage sale or a hick antique show. There's a lot more room for finding a good deal or ripping someone off. Auction houses always end up like stock markets, and stock markets are always rigged.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pavlov posted:

Maybe this is me stepping into the bad opinion zone, but I really like market-stall economies better in MMOs than centralized auction-houses. Auction houses are way easier to get what you want or make a quick buck on, but always come off seeming really boring. Checking through market stalls makes it feel more like going to a rummage sale or a hick antique show. There's a lot more room for finding a good deal or ripping someone off. Auction houses always end up like stock markets, and stock markets are always rigged.

It's more fun, especially when it comes down to "Hey man did you visit that guys vendor in *rear end End Of Nowhere*, he's got sweet purps!" or whatever, but it's bad design.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

it is a good idea for mmo time wasters to have a system that requires you to waste the most amount of time when all you want is a god drat sword

designing systems to save the time of people who play, especially those with less time and more money, is a bad and wrong idea

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Reggin I had to pull teeth to get you to even click on the auction house last time we MMOd. No it being in chinese isn't an excuse.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I dislike auction houses for some good reasons but it is by far a better system than personal vendors or store front houses.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Remember how you said you get bored of MMOs once you've really figured them out? I'm a bit like that too. Problem with auction houses is I figured them out ages ago. They're efficient and convenient and streamlined, and honestly really boring. The most interesting thing that happens on the auction house is when someone manipulates a market, and I know that's one of your reasons for not liking them. Otherwise they turn just everything in the game into a known quantity. There's no discovery, little in the way of character or weirdness. That just makes it less time until I get bored and leave.

They also manage to give you the minimal amount of interaction with over players. Doing poo poo with, and loving with other people is the only thing MMOs actually have over single player and limited co-op. If I wanted a single player game I have those. Auction houses are about on par with NPC merchants. Random marketplaces full of people is something I only get in MMOs.

I can totally understand people who just want to get in, buy a sword, and get out. They just want to get onto whatever they see the real gameplay being. But if you can stand to use stalls, they're less of just a means of distribution, and more a part of the gameplay itself.

Ugh I hate that I have so many opinions about MMOs Reggin I blame you.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
Didn't see this posted yet, so here is the crafting info for anyone who wants it:
http://realmsunchained.com/full-details-on-camelot-unchaineds-crafting-system/

This article from massively has a bit of additional info:
http://massivelyop.com/2015/12/22/camelot-unchaineds-mark-jacobs-on-economy-crafting-and-star-wars-galaxies-inspiration/

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

quote:

Buying/selling shouldn't be a PITA

quote:

With no Auction House,

does not compute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
I was on my laptop last night for their streamed alpha test. I was running a very 'meh' 780M and they ported all 624 folks to the same area, which was itself in a forested area w/ no proper culling. In the un-optimized state, I was still pulling 24 FPS. I have to say, their game engine is coming along quite nicely, and if the rest of the game pans out in a similar manner, I'm going to be a happy camper. I must also say, even with 3 abilities and really crappy, un-layered graphics, I was having fun running through the forest killing everything in sight.

This game is slowly becoming the next game that I see myself getting super excited about, but will probably (and inexplicably) do something dumb around launch that will gently caress everything up.

• Locked thread