Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Should have used a screen protector.

This made me laugh way more than it should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Oleophobic? What's next in this PC society

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Sextro posted:

Is there anything to be done about my 6's seemingly vanished oleophobic coating? As of just a few days ago smudges and streaks are crazy common. The glass is significantly further from frictionless. Honestly considering hopping to a 6s rather than wait for the 7 at this point.

They wear off.

Any decent tempered glass protector will have a coating though, and will feel as smooth as a new screen.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Sextro posted:

Is there anything to be done about my 6's seemingly vanished oleophobic coating? As of just a few days ago smudges and streaks are crazy common. The glass is significantly further from frictionless. Honestly considering hopping to a 6s rather than wait for the 7 at this point.

There are kits to reapply oleophobic coatings.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ok what the gently caress is this like the same poo poo as headlight fluid and muffler bearings?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

ok what the gently caress is this like the same poo poo as headlight fluid and muffler bearings?

What? No, it's a coating applied to the glass. It wears off as you use your phone and you will see more streaks on your screen. You can buy bottles of it on Amazon to reapply it. This will also wear off.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So why doesn't Apple use its gobs of cash to buy up some company that makes wireless headphones?

When I get my iPhone 7 Plus next year it had better come with wireless ear buds that are good because I'm loving done with ear bud cables.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

cowofwar posted:

So why doesn't Apple use its gobs of cash to buy up some company that makes wireless headphones?

...beats?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cowofwar posted:

When I get my iPhone 7 Plus next year it had better come with wireless ear buds that are good because I'm loving done with ear bud cables.

There's lots of companies that sell wireless earbuds. Why do you insist on using bad Apple ones?

Though, yes, Beats makes wireless earbuds if you want only the finest in Apple-owned headphone companies.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

cowofwar posted:

I got a pair of LG Tone Infinums on Amazon for $90. Not saying they're the best one out there, but you can def find deals on headphones, especially right before Christmas.

Even if they ever started including wireless EarPods, Apple is never going to include an amazing pair of headphones because it would eat into their margins.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So do you guys only listen to original print vinyl on vacuum tube sound systems with gold cables for the extreme high and low frequency clarity?

I just want wireless ear buds with my phone, not a $300 sound system.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Then go buy some? Wireless headphones are everywhere. If you need an Apple logo on it get some stickers made.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah you can get decent wireless earbuds pretty cheap these days lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here you go, $15: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00WHKTAIE

Probably sound better than the garbage Apple ships with, too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Buying BT headphones was the best decision I ever made (with regards to headphones, at least). The only thing that's a shame is I can't trigger Siri from the controls, but that's no massive deal. The battery lasts ridiculously long, and there's no wire sealed in for me to break 6 months in.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Buying BT headphones was the best decision I ever made (with regards to headphones, at least). The only thing that's a shame is I can't trigger Siri from the controls, but that's no massive deal. The battery lasts ridiculously long, and there's no wire sealed in for me to break 6 months in.

What model did you buy?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have these, they're overheads mind not EarPods style (I'd buy some EarPods style too though, just because I don't like taking these out when I have to 'look after them' and don't have a bag or storage).

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRXB950BT-Extra-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B00MCHE38O

I paid a good chunk less than that, like $80 I'm sure, because they were refurbished.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I bought a cheap $25 pair of wireless earbuds and they're too heavy for my ears, even with the correct plugs and those itchy wing things.

I still use them, but now putting on the wired ones for the better mic makes my ears feel like they're breathing a sigh of relief. What are the lightest ones out there in the sub $100 range?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there an app where I can draw dicks on pictures or paste other pictures (mostly dicks) onto other pictures?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I found some no name Bluetooth headphones that look just like EarPods. I actually like the fit and they sound pretty decent for the $12 I spent

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there an app where I can draw dicks on pictures or paste other pictures (mostly dicks) onto other pictures?

Yes.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Speaking of Beats, I recently picked up a Beats Pill+ (the first Beats product Apple was involved with producing), and it sounds pretty drat good. The original Pill kinda sucked, but this new one is a much needed improvement, though it's a bit pricy at $229. I got it for 50% off on sale, but after playing with it for a few days, I definitely would have paid full price.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

is there a way to get spotlight search to actually check all my messages? I can try searching something I talked about with a friend 3 days ago and it just doesn't come up and I can't figure it out.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If I wanted to get a friend an iPhone 5 or 5s to replace their iPhone 4 (Verizon) cause I feel so bad for them does the iPhone I buy just have to be specifically marked as a Verizon phone?

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

If I wanted to get a friend an iPhone 5 or 5s to replace their iPhone 4 (Verizon) cause I feel so bad for them does the iPhone I buy just have to be specifically marked as a Verizon phone?

It has to be a CDMA iPhone 5. iPhone 4s were universal but moving to LTE screwed that up and Apple had to go back to making GSM/CDMA specific models for each carrier.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think they can technically get an AT&T or T-Mobile 5s to work on Verizon if they swap in an activated LTE SIM, but it's probably easier to just find a Verizon one.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Endless Mike posted:

I think they can technically get an AT&T or T-Mobile 5s to work on Verizon if they swap in an activated LTE SIM, but it's probably easier to just find a Verizon one.

It's an iPhone 4 (no s) so I think that would be 3G only so they wouldn't have an LTE SIM card.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I saw a rumour on some website today the 7 will have to use wireless headphones because they're going to make it too slim for a headphone jack?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I saw a rumour on some website today the 7 will have to use wireless headphones because they're going to make it too slim for a headphone jack?
Hah, it's been a rumor for the past few iPhone models. There's zero truth to it unless it comes out of an Apple press conference.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
i heard a rumor that the iphone 7 will be slimmer?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Wireless headphones is a great way to kill the battery life.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

Wireless headphones is a great way to kill the battery life.

B..b...but it's the future!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bacon Terrorist posted:

There's a newer rumor that the iPhone 7 will exclusively use the lightning port for wired headphones. I guess these two rumors complement each other. Perhaps it won't even be a lightning port, but a USB-C port?

Rumors are always fun, but I feel like it's too early for anything terribly accurate. I don't even really bother with the rumor mill; I just wait for that Cho analyst dude to nail it a few months early as he always does.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I tried once and it won't work. Has to be an iPhone 6 or higher.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I heard that the iPhone 7 will have a color printer.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I've been wireless on my phone for over a year, been using the bluebuds x and now i got the v-moda crossfade wireless... free urself.....

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

More App Store fun: don't delete an app that has an update available because the app will have a badge indicating an update that never goes away.

I know it used to update properly, I have a habit of looking at the update list and going "hmm, don't use that anymore, purge it" and the badge always updated properly.

But not anymore! :downs:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

enojy posted:

There's a newer rumor that the iPhone 7 will exclusively use the lightning port for wired headphones. I guess these two rumors complement each other. Perhaps it won't even be a lightning port, but a USB-C port?
Not likely. If their plan is to continue making iPhones thinner and thinner, switching to USB-C would hinder that more than Lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apple's gonna redesign lightning to a magsafe style connector, a small line of copper nubs along the bottom of the phone and the wire just grabs onto it when it gets close.

The phone will be as thick as two sheets of paper and run off ambient light.