Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

Actually they're going to lose their poo poo when Poe and Finn kiss.

This would actually be way better to see in terms of the reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maybe that stormtrooper wasn't super into his job, like Finn. Maybe he's just, like, "No, I'm not going to loosen your restraints!" and Rey's all "You will loosen my restraints", so he's just, like, "Y'know what? Fine. I don't want to loving argue with you. I probably don't even get paid to do this. Leave my gun? Sure, why the gently caress not? It's not even mine, anyways, they make us loving rent them."

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My boss asked a question that I couldn't really explain, maybe one of you can:

How did Han, by hand, pull out of hyperspace right after the force field pulse. In the OT, didn't they say something like "Without the computer we are dead'? Maybe we heard or saw something a little wrong, but he and I are both pretty sure that he basically pulled a hand brake.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Siets posted:

Just wait until Episode IX when Finn and Rey are reunited and the black guy gets the white girl at the end. With Obama out of office by then, Tea Party Republicans everywhere are going to absolutely lose their poo poo over it. :)

That's not how it will go. The black guy get's the white guy.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

did anyone notice that part where kylo ren gets loving nailed in the liver with a bowcaster and is in the process of bleeding out during the entire fight

because i think that might make it hard to fight

Which is pretty crazy since half the time whenever a stormtrooper got pegged by it they went cartwheeling. Kylo really seemed to amp himself up from the pain of that bowcaster shot during that climax. I like how he kept punching the spot where Chewie nailed him like it was hulking him up.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

"I know"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The jump into and out of hyperspace was always controlled by a little lever thingy on the Falcon's dashboard. The computer handles the course plotting.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the canon is the movies and the clone wars series and that's it. where are you getting this?

A combination of Lucas talking about them in a behind the scenes deal, the visual encyclopedias from back in the day, and the books surrounding the PT. (I'm guessing they drew from the first two sources)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

ButtWolf posted:

My boss asked a question that I couldn't really explain, maybe one of you can:

How did Han, by hand, pull out of hyperspace right after the force field pulse. In the OT, didn't they say something like "Without the computer we are dead'? Maybe we heard or saw something a little wrong, but he and I are both pretty sure that he basically pulled a hand brake.

that was always in trope land, even in the OT. Hyperspace calculations take a long time when they're convenient to the plot, otherwise who cares. Watch ESB again, it's all over the place.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

A combination of Lucas talking about them in a behind the scenes deal, the visual encyclopedias from back in the day, and the books surrounding the PT. (I'm guessing they drew from the first two sources)

so, not canon then.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phylodox posted:

The jump into and out of hyperspace was always controlled by a little lever thingy on the Falcon's dashboard. The computer handles the course plotting.

How the hell does he pull out of hyperspace between the inside of the force field and before he hits the ground/mountain?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Very carefully.

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

so, not canon then.

Yeah I guess the guy that dreamed them and the whole series up isn't allowed to stamp canon on his own product.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Maybe Han Solo can perfectly time a landing from hyperspace because he's a Mary Sue.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ButtWolf posted:

How the hell does he pull out of hyperspace between the inside of the force field and before he hits the ground/mountain?

If he told you, you wouldn't like it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

Yeah I guess the guy that dreamed them and the whole series up isn't allowed to stamp canon on his own product.

No. I don't think you understand what "canon" means.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

No, he's not. He sold the rights.

Also, his own additions to the canon after the OT mostly consist of racist cartoons, so maybe let's not give him too much credit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

The only time that Rey really bugged me was the Jedi mind trick scene. I can see her reversing Kylo Ren's mind probe since he's kind of a pussy but it's a pretty big leap to go from that to "I bet I can make people do whatever I want." It was just a bit too on the head for someone who hadn't even so much as seen the classic mind trick in action. Yeah it was a cute callback and all but it did take me out of it a little bit.

Even with that I don't think it's fair to call her a Mary Sue, though. She doesn't really steal the spotlight and she's only important within the context of her own personal journey. Finn, Han, and Poe take out Starkiller Base with essentially no help from Rey.

Kylo Ren was attempting to force her to do what he wanted and she resisted it. In turn she realized she could do the same to other people. It was probably a bit on the nose for a callback but it makes perfect sense.

Keep in mind that Luke Skywalker figured out he could grab a lightsaber with his mind with no real reason to think he could.

The Force is intuitive. It isn't (despite many video games) a magic thing where you learn Force Trick at level 4. Every person who teaches the Force is just like "this poo poo comes to you if you let it, open yourself up to the Force." You're not starting off at a low level and then training up, you're opening yourself to a mystical energy field that guides your actions and can manipulate the world around you.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 22, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skellybones posted:

The stormtrooper with the big stunstick who clowned on Finn's lightsaber skills should have been Phasma.

The stormtrooper rocking the baton should also quiet any questions about "why can Finn does swordfighting?" but here we are.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Maybe Han Solo can perfectly time a landing from hyperspace because he's a Mary Sue.

:boom:

Phylodox posted:

No. I don't think you understand what "canon" means.

Why was everyone calling Darth Caedus/Jacen Solo "Kylo Ren" or "Ben"? And Chewbacca was alive again! I'm tired of this callous disregard for events clearly included in the canon of official Lucasfilm-liscsened ancillary media.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I feel like Finn has some Force "affinity" or whatever.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Doesn't that riot control Stormtrooper with the baton get smoked by Han Solo? We'd be lamenting the loss of Phasma so early in the new trilogy if she had been the one to face off with Finn instead of that angry grunt.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Supercar Gautier posted:

Very carefully.

The shift from hero to superhero ... The post-trilogy is hugely influenced by marvels success and will continue through 8 & 9.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Anyone else catch the AT-AT looking vehicles on the surface of Starkiller? Had a more splayed-out, spider-like design. Hope we'll see 'em in the next movie.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It's kind of implied the whole movie takes place in the 'midrim' where stars are closer together (Finn wants to get a ride to the Outer Rim)

Tatooine is way out on the edge of the galaxy (Naboo was a frontier planet - it has some South African elements) and Alderaan is in the core so travel between those two takes time. Pretty much all of the OT takes place in the outer rim.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

ButtWolf posted:

Hyperspace is made up bullshit that lets them do plot, hope that helps.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Goo P-Nut Sack posted:

It's not his product anymore, motherfuckers!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah if you sell something for $$$ you're generally not the boss of it anymore.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's not his product anymore, motherfuckers!

IP is a lie and Star Wars belongs to everyone - the only canon that matters is your own

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

khy posted:

Believe me, I was one of the people making GBS threads over it in ST09. Spock watching Vulcan implode STILL makes me sigh and shake my head. It's a goddamn disgrace and I'm glad Gene Roddenberry isn't around to have seen it.

I get overly worked up about my space fiction. Other fiction I overlook a lot more but if it's science-fiction I get a LOT more critical about the science.

I really wish the movie would be what actually makes this apparent, and not just people trying to justify it after the fact.

Also, entirely unrelated : I look at your avatar and keep expecting there to be spittle http://i.imgur.com/TivYd1U.webm

Star Wars is not science fiction. What do you want a loving disclaimer?

Are you aware that the goal of film is not to trick you into thinking you are watching real events unfold in a persistent three dimensional complete universe?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

McDowell posted:

IP is a lie and Star Wars belongs to everyone - the only canon that matters is your own

Revan was a girl and she totally kissed Carth.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

McDowell posted:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sarkozymandias posted:

Are you aware that the goal of film is not to trick you into thinking you are watching real events unfold in a persistent three dimensional complete universe?

[Anakin whine] But it should be!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

McDowell posted:

that's a perfectly fair point, but if you take that argument you no longer get to make autistic complaints about continuity.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
So this thread moves so fast (400 new replies since I last visited yesterday....) I have no idea if we've already discussed something like this or not, but is there a TVTropes term for... I don't know what to call it, "sequel creep"? It's like a weird quasi-4th wall thing where a series' characters lives and motivations start being molded by what's essentially the audience's desire to see more sequels?

Examples would include: in the Star Trek films, the crew of the Enterprise becomes more and more tight-knit and it becomes a recurring theme that they are a family unit that belongs together... this is mostly because as the years go on the audience and series fans see the characters as "old friends" and as they keep making sequels the stories keep reuniting the characters for adventures that make them even closer. Another example: in the Scream movies, the recurring cast gradually becomes more and more famous in-universe as they survive an unprecedented and ever-increasing number of attempted murders. In Friday the 13th, Jason eventually has to become a loving zombie in order to satiate the audience's desire to see him return for each new movie.

I feel like this "sequel creep" has finally hit Star Wars, which up to now has been devoted to a single multi-part saga. TFA has essentially reversed the self-actualization Luke, Leia and Han achieved by the end of the OT in the service of continuing the series and putting the characters back where we would want to see them: Han returns to smuggling, Leia returns to leading military operations, Luke (from what we can tell) loses his confidence in the force and goes into exile.

To be honest, this kind of bothers me a bit, even if I feel a little silly admitting it. We've essentially doomed these characters to a lifetime of war, failure, and various other violent and emotional struggles. Han in particular becomes a tragic figure here: we spent three movies watching him grow out of being a mercenary criminal to connecting with others, becoming a hero, and falling in love... until now when suddenly we find out his marriage fell apart, returns to a solitary life of crime, and his murdered by his treacherous and emotionally compromised son. And the main reason why? Because we want to relive Star Wars again, and he has to simultaneously be put back in the role we had the most fun watching him in as well as politely die to fulfill the "fallen mentor" space the template of the story calls for.

I realize how ridiculous this sounds. These people aren't real, it's just a movie. But... we say we care about these characters, right? And that we care what happens to them... but we're treating them like gladiators in the colosseum, putting them through a bizarre (when you think about it) never-ending cycle of peril for our amusement (the way Han sighs "Another Death Star!" almost sounds like he rightly suspects someone in another dimension is causing all this just to gently caress with them), even to the point of cruelly revoking catharsis because we want to see more Christians fed to lions.

Anyhow, food for thought. On a less sappy/ sentimental note, I do think this contributes to the movie feeling disingenuous to me. Most probably don't mind, but the movie does feel exactly like what it is, some new folks coming in to artificially extend a story that had actually ended pretty definitively a long time ago.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

McDowell posted:

Star Wars: Galaxies was canon. Give me back my Power Hammer, drat it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lizardman posted:

So this thread moves so fast (400 new replies since I last visited yesterday....) I have no idea if we've already discussed something like this or not, but is there a TVTropes term for... I don't know what to call it, "sequel creep"? It's like a weird quasi-4th wall thing where a series' characters lives and motivations start being molded by what's essentially the audience's desire to see more sequels

I don't really think so in the case of TFA. This isn't "and the next adventure happened next year" like Harry Potter. The heroes had decades of their own life and we only return to them when new heroes enter play. They were never destined to have peace (Luke is a knight, Han a smuggler and Leia spent most of her life running a rebellion.) It's just in this case we found out what their lives were when we jump back into the universe a few decades later.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

lizardman posted:

I realize how ridiculous this sounds. These people aren't real, it's just a movie. But... we say we care about these characters, right? And that we care what happens to them... but we're treating them like gladiators in the colosseum, putting them through a bizarre (when you think about it) never-ending cycle of peril for our amusement (the way Han sighs "Another Death Star!" almost sounds like he rightly suspects someone in another dimension is causing all this just to gently caress with them), even to the point of cruelly revoking catharsis because we want to see more Christians fed to lions.

I think you would really enjoy the work of Lars von Trier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I think you would really enjoy the work of Lars von Trier.

Oh? You've piqued my interest.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really think so in the case of TFA. This isn't "and the next adventure happened next year" like Harry Potter. The heroes had decades of their own life and we only return to them when new heroes enter play. They were never destined to have peace (Luke is a knight, Han a smuggler and Leia spent most of her life running a rebellion.) It's just in this case we found out what their lives were when we jump back into the universe a few decades later.

You may have a point with Luke, but I really did get the sense that Han and Leia were going to settle down for a more peaceful life. Leia in ROTJ stuck me as someone who had finally grown weary of war, and it was hard to imagine that Han wasn't going to go legit after shacking up with her. Neither character looks particularly happy to be back in their familiar OT role in TFA, Leia especially seems resigned to do the "only thing she knows how to do well" (though some of this might just be coming off of Carrie Fisher's current natural demeanor).

I suppose, on the bright side, you could say they probably got perhaps a good decade or so of peace just after ROTJ. Seems things were pretty OK until Ben/ Kylo Ren's situation went to poo poo.

lizardman fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 22, 2015

• Locked thread