Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they'd probably just need to add a golden city alternative and then an alternative to the final endgame area. the rest of the steps could be incorporated in the earlier levels, just like the steps for the already existing path are. given how there's so many ways to access special levels baked into the normal levels themselves and going into them advances what level you're on, offering a choice of special level probably wouldn't be much of an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Players don't want smart AI, and designers shouldn't just dump smart AI in. The players want a challenge that they can overcome. Good example is any pen&paper game, because as the DM you can make a fight that the enemies set up with a plan based on them spying on the party and absolutely destroy them all, but that isn't fun. Instead you build up to that ambush, give players ways to figure out it is coming or mitigate it, you make sure the tuning on the actual ambush isn't going to spike anyone into the ground, make some contingency stuff to keep the tension up if needed, and fire the thing off.

I guess you're trying to make an AI that can function like a DM does, but that is a really hard problem to solve and one that you're probably not going to seem come from games. More like someone eventually makes some sort of generic "game AI" and licenses it out like a game engine.

The other guy was also spot on that what you expect the encounter to accomplish is vastly different from the players. If you approach your AI with the idea that some of the d&d encounter per day ideas, you get a sort of "this fight should take up roughly X% of the party's resources (hp/mp/items/whatever)". Still takes a lot of tuning and you need to make sure that the enemy being smart isn't just frustrating to play against.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Caves of Qud worthwhile while it's still in Early Access, or should I just wait until it is fully complete and released?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Definitely worthwhile. There is a ridiculous amount of content and depth even in its unfinished state, and it has a pretty unique setting.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sneak peak at the results... 20 people voted for Caves of Qud and 13 of them had it in their top 3. It's a well loved game on here.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Steam holiday sales are up, gonna keep an eye out for those roguelikes that I don't own yet

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Alright so I'll be posting results of the poll over the next few days.

The voting results overview:

We had 42 lists submitted, and 88 games received at least one vote (89 if you count X:Com. I may have been too quick to remove it from the votes. I'll play it over the holidays and think about it some more.) Games have been assigned points using a simple scoring system. #1 = 4 points, #2-3 = 3 points, #4-5 = 2 points, anything else = 1 point. I'll be ordering them by the number of votes they receive, sorted by the quality of the vote. I'm going to try to do little blurbs for each game as we get into the more popular stuff, because at the end of the day this is all in preparation for a new thread, but I invite anyone to post their own if they didn't already share their thoughts about the game in their own list.

Let's start off with the various games that made honourable mention lists (sometimes one, sometimes more) but didn't receive any votes.

I was going to divide them into categories but tbh they're all over the board. You've got console games like Toejam & Earl and Azure Dreams, platformers like Vertical Drop Heroes HD, and more traditional ASCII roguelikes like Incursion. These are games worth looking at. Maybe next time we do this, you'll be the one voting them onto big list!

Azure Dreams
Toejam & Earl
Depths of Tolagal
Magicite
One More Dungeon
868-HACK
Heavy Bullets
Catacomb Kids
Rogue Survivor
Approaching Infinity
Fatal Labyrinth
Meritous
KeeperRL
Incursion
Quest of Dungeons
Road Not Taken
TinyKeep
Steam Marines
Vertical Drop Heroes HD
Red Rogue
Castle of the Winds
Abyss Odyssey
Sunless Sea

(If you posted or sent me a list, I'm going to be giving away steam keys. I'll post the google doc link to the list of games when I get home. First come first serve type of thing. There are maybe 10 roguelike keys, but there are another ~350 to choose from because hey we like all kinds of games.)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

packetmantis posted:

What the hell is this? Does URR finally have gameplay?
It's Vapors of Insanity and it's aptly named/I stopped playing it shortly after taking those screenshots

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
If I hadn't been lazy and submitted a list, and had remembered how much time I spent on the Game Boy version of it, I absolutely would have listed Azure Dreams. That game was fantastic. I hear the PS1 version had more town building and only 30 floors instead of 130, that seems less good. Did anyone ever play it? Was it actually good/the better version/worth my time to track down?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If I hadn't been lazy and submitted a list, and had remembered how much time I spent on the Game Boy version of it, I absolutely would have listed Azure Dreams. That game was fantastic. I hear the PS1 version had more town building and only 30 floors instead of 130, that seems less good. Did anyone ever play it? Was it actually good/the better version/worth my time to track down?

Ya i played it on ps1 but it was too hard for 8yr old me. Maybe try a rom of it first.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I had played and beaten it.
It was a very good, time draining game that really got me into roguelikes. Even 30 floors felt hellishly long, but that's because the last few floors were filled with tremendously overpowered enemies, like full grown dragons. It was very fun, very hard, and the city building was a good downtime.

It's also the only game I've bought all the stuff in, just to read the descriptions.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Steam ADOM got a patch today with a couple of interesting features:

Thomas Biskup, yes really he said this posted:

•ADOM now contains the option to freely select star signs. This provides even more enjoyment by allowing you to truly play the character combination you want.
Additionally we have focussed on enhancing the user interface, in this release solely by fine-tuning the keyboards commands required to play the game:
•You now can press ENTER to open a list of important context-sensitive commands. You then can select your preferred command from a list instead of having to memorize all key bindings.
•The explore command (activated by pressing minus '-') has been made smarter in that it no longer runs into loops, moves towards unvisited item stacks and generally has more optimized path finding options.
•The use command has become more powerful so that you basically can use all items by just memorizing the 'u' key (although other ways might be faster).
•We have greatly streamlined the online help. New players now need to learn so much less than the version implied in former versions so that they hopefully won't be scared anymore :-)

And here I just got on another TOME kick lately too after shelving it for a year-plus (doombringers mad OP). Lucky I have a week and a half off work and no family to visit for Christmas.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Thomas Biskup, yes really he said this posted posted:

ADOM now contains the option to freely select star signs. This provides even more enjoyment by allowing you to truly play the character combination you want.

Holy poo poo, and it only took what, 18 years?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Mystic Stylez posted:

what are some good tips for someone starting with Invisible Inc.? picked it up some time ago as it was one of my most wanted games but never properly played it aside from the tutorials.

Another tip is to not be afraid of killing guards. While doing so takes some credits away from you and accelerates the alarm level, a dead guard cannot ever be a threat to you again and does not need to be pinned and/or watched like a hawk.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Radioactive Toy posted:

Caves of Qud worthwhile while it's still in Early Access, or should I just wait until it is fully complete and released?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT PLANTS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT ANIMALS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT BUGS. Kill a bear and EAT IT, just EAT AN ENTIRE BEAR. KILL EVERYTHING. Descend into the DEPTHS OF THE WORLD and retrieve ANCIENT TECHNOLOGICAL ARTIFACTS. KNIFE-FIGHT a GIANT DRILL ROBOT and WIN. Be a COOL WASTELAND KNIGHT. Be a TWO-FISTED COWBOY. Be a HOMICIDAL NINJA TURTLE with an AXE and a SHOTGUN. SPONTANEOUSLY BURST INTO FLAMES. Get into a GUNFIGHT with a HYENA-MONSTER and accidentally anger a HERD OF MAJESTIC HULKING DEMON HORSES with your crossfire. Fly into the air like a BEAUTIFUL EAGLE and then SWORD-FIGHT a GIANT DRAGONFLY. MIND CONTROL a TWO-HEADED BOAR and MAKE IT WEAR CHAIN MAIL and KILL YOUR ENEMIES. Encounter a LEGENDARY PLANT with an INTIMIDATING SKULL MASK and the ability to THROW FIERY DEATH FROM ITS HANDS. CONTRACT HORRIFYING DISEASES. Go to THE DEATHLANDS and discover that THE DEATHLANDS are called THE DEATHLANDS because they will KILL YOU DEAD. HACK OFF A ROBOT’S HEAD AND EAT IT. Get into a SLEDGEHAMMER DUEL with a ‘ROIDED-OUT SUPERCANNIBAL. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE that you BREAK A BOX OF CRAYONS attempting to figure out what it is. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY GIFTED that you can make an ACID GRENADE out of a PLASTIC TREE and a FOLDING CHAIR. Build your own FLAMETHROWER. Build your own LASER GUN. Build your own HANDHELD NUCLEAR BOMB and BLOW YOURSELF UP WITH IT. Collect MAGMA in a CANTEEN. Pour MAGMA into a pool of ACID to see what happens. DRINK MAGMA. TELEPATHICALLY LOCATE an enemy and HATE IT TO DEATH with your TERRIFYING BRAIN SORCERY. Have your LEGS CUT OFF and then REGROW YOUR LEGS and pick up your previous legs and EAT YOUR OWN LEGS. Encounter your EVIL TWIN and then summon six of your own GOOD TWINS to fight your evil twin’s SIX EVIL TWIN TWINS in a FOURTEEN-WAY PSYCHIC LASER DEATH RAVE and then BURN TO DEATH when all of the combined PYROKINETIC MIND FIRE from all of the TIME CLONES causes the ENTIRE MAP TO COMBUST AND MELT.

Yes it is awesome, get it.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 23, 2015

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

There's a roguelike that I can't remember the name of. It's a game about being a Spanish explorer setting out to colonize the new world. A big chunk of the game was actually sailing over to the Americas, but I think there was a colonization aspect to the game as well once you hit land. You would start in Spain and gather supplies for your expedition like in Oregon Trail. Then you would talk to the Queen to get funding for your expedition and set off. The sailing was pretty difficult and I never actually made it past that part. Does anyone know what the hell I'm thinking of?

Santiago Zapata's Expedition

Looking at his website, it looks like he has done / is doing quite a few more roguelikes and roguelites.

EDIT: Whoops! That's what I get for not refreshing. :cripes:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 23, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jordan7hm posted:

Oh yeah I ignored your list because I haven't logged it yet.

Oh well.

Hey have any of you tried Flamebreak?

It's pretty cool so far. Another one of those Binding of Isaac games, but the thing that stood out to me is that it has maybe the best intro I've seen from a roguelike. It's just a simple poem about the world or whatever but it's really well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARY3QKTldtI

It's on sale right now for 3$.

I got this game and it's pretty fun. Unfortunately the in-game art style isn't anything like the stuff in the intro video, although there are some more (shorter) poems each time you kill a boss and advance to the next area.

The dagger that does tons of bonus damage when attacking from behind is probably the most fun weapon so far. Although the Phoenix boss is hard as gently caress if you're relying on melee to kill it, so you better have some longer-range spells.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

S.T.C.A. posted:

Holy poo poo, and it only took what, 18 years?

ADOM-Sage has had that since like 02/03 I want to say, it's just that the guy is a die-hard linux nerd and refuses to port the 1.2.0 versions to Windows.

Actually almost all the newer features in 1.2.0 came from ADOM-Sage.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 23, 2015

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The hell is this?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Vapors of Insanity. I walked into a cave and there was a dark blue eye monster, when I tried to examine it the game was like "it's made of dark blue eye flesh" and I was like yeah? and then it just explained to me what flesh is

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

was just checking out details for the new tome expansion and it sounds cool but also added crafting and healing potions? not having that stuff was a selling point wasnt it? hopefully things arent balanced with the expectation of you using them.

also its going to be a roguelite christmas

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I just got Towerclimb and spent a couple of hours dying violently. So far my favourite deaths were probably falling on spikes after being accosted by an rear end in a top hat wizard in a ghost shortcut, climbing 63 feet and promptly faceplanting on the tower floor, standing around on the tower floor wondering "what the hell does all this ground shaking hatchery stuff mea- oh", and eating too many berries at once.

Absolute bastard game, but fun and very addicting. I need to stop going in shortcut doors because I always get the flight of death one and get blendered by the fans :saddowns:

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

Oh yeah I ignored your list because I haven't logged it yet.

Oh well.

Hey have any of you tried Flamebreak?

It's pretty cool so far. Another one of those Binding of Isaac games, but the thing that stood out to me is that it has maybe the best intro I've seen from a roguelike. It's just a simple poem about the world or whatever but it's really well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARY3QKTldtI

It's on sale right now for 3$.

If you like Dota/mobas, and roguelikes, and FTL, and shoot-em-ups...

:getin:

So glad I snagged this for $3, only bummed that I have to drop $10 on it now to give as a gift.

E: I stand corrected, $5 till 1/4/2016, awesome!

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 23, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Angry Diplomat posted:

I just got Towerclimb and spent a couple of hours dying violently. So far my favourite deaths were probably falling on spikes after being accosted by an rear end in a top hat wizard in a ghost shortcut, climbing 63 feet and promptly faceplanting on the tower floor, standing around on the tower floor wondering "what the hell does all this ground shaking hatchery stuff mea- oh", and eating too many berries at once.

Absolute bastard game, but fun and very addicting. I need to stop going in shortcut doors because I always get the flight of death one and get blendered by the fans :saddowns:

Oh man, you're going to have fun when you find the carnival shortcut. For such a simple premise of a game Towerfall packs in a lot of detail.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/378790/

quote:

Edit: I didn't know this was originally a hentai game. I mean, I guess looking back at what I've experienced in the game, it makes sense. However, it doesn't change how I feel about the game itself. I don't really care about the hentai stuff being cut because not only do I not care about hentai, I believe it still stands on its own as a nice little Mystery Dungeon game.

If the game had all the hentai stuff that it had before, I don't think I would have bought it at all.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Roguelike votes: #83-88

The following games received only a single vote for tenth place.

• :10bux: Bionic Dues - Arcen does roguelikes. A kind of party-based tactical TBS take on the genre with a bunch of interesting ideas and really questionable execution. Par for the course for these guys.

• :10bux: Coin Crypt - A fast-playing card combat roguelike. This one regularly goes for very little cash, so I do recommend trying it out to see if it's for you. It's definitely on my list of games to go back and take a closer look at.

• :10bux: Full Mojo Rampage - A twin stick shooter roguelike. Has a cool dark voodoo theme to it.

• :10bux: Sword of the Stars: The Pit - A traditional roguelike with an insane crafting sub-game and a whole bunch of DLC (buy the Gold version for the complete package). It's not bad per se, but it appeals to a certain type of person. If you like crafting then you may really like this game. I'd probably still look at a wiki instead of using the in-game systems to figure out what builds what.

• :10bux: Transcendence - An open world space sim with a massive world. Trade, run missions, fight, upgrade your ship... all in real time of course. The game is about 10 years old and available for free (base version, which is about 75% of the full version) on the developer's website.

• :10bux: Hero Siege - See Full Mojo Rampage. This one uses a high fantasy theme, which I generally like, but I kind of bounced off it. There's a guy in this thread who really likes it, I'm pretty sure he didn't vote.

I'm going to list the various sub-genres of roguelikes as I go through the games, and total them after every post. If you think I've listed a game wrong, tell me!

I'll explain the sub-genres I'm using as we see them come up. In this group we've seen:

• 1 - Card Based. Combat is represented with a card game. Typically will have some kind of overworld, persistence between encounters, and of course ironman style play with permadeath.

• 2 - Open Twin Stick Shooter. Real time. One stick (or key cluster) moves and one key (or key cluster) shoots. Random powerups, enemy spawns, and level generation. You don't move between small discrete arenas, but rather navigate larger areas, so for map generation think Diablo rather than Binding of Isaac.

• 1 - Party Based Tactics. You control multiple characters in what would otherwise probably be a traditional roguelike. Generally turn based. Sometimes your party is represented all at once, sometimes you party is pulled "out of a hat" based on need at any given time.

• 1 - Traditional. Your daddy's roguelike. Top down, turn based, one guy, one life (usually). You don't need to go through hoops to figure out how this is related to Rogue or one of its direct descendants. These are the only actual roguelikes in our voting. Everything else is a roguelite or roguelikelike or whatever the hell you want to call it. I still love those games too (see my own votes), but yeah.

• 1 - Space Sim. Elite, but without saves. Often played from a top down perspective, generally real time.

I'll also be comparing free vs commercial. So far every single game is commercial though Transcendence is also available for free (like ToME's model where you're paying for DLC).
  • 5 Commercial
  • 0 Free
  • 1 Both

FYI I added the vote for XCom:EW back in. Watched some gameplay, looked at some other games on the list, and decided it qualified. I think it's a real stretch, but honestly so are a lot of other games that are going to come up. Game developers have riffed so hard on the genre conventions in the last 2-3 years that the lines are really blurry now.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 29, 2015

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Roguelikes are the root of all genres :colbert:

(not really, but frankly I love seeing rogue elements in other games, done well they improve just about anything)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Towerclimb is basically the myth of Sisyphus, but with way more death.

Sage Grimm posted:

Oh man, you're going to have fun when you find the carnival shortcut. For such a simple premise of a game Towerfall packs in a lot of detail.

Haha, yes, that shortcut is "fun" :suicide:

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Angry Diplomat posted:

Haha, yes, that shortcut is "fun" :suicide:

Zardo's game is by far the easiest shortcut (:smug:) and guarantees 3 chest drops which can be pretty great. Fatal Flight is probably the hardest unless you get lucky with the level gen, and only rarely has any resources you can actually reach .Soul Crossing can be pretty tough too, especially if Zardo himself shows up, which is quite likely in that area. I usually skip the shortcuts these days, the normal path has a better resources/danger ratio in my opinion and I need those berries!

I uploaded my first towerclimb video last night - I have no mic yet so it's just gameplay, no commentary. It's my latest attempt at a 7 legend fragment run, I ended within sight of the exit to the Arcade with 6/7 fragments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm-EJ-uLlq8
The highlight of the run is probably the brutal boiler at 42 minutes in (beware spoilers!) My spiral of death and disaster really starts near the very beginning of the Arcade at 1:05. I just cannot keep my winchshot alive for more than a minute in that place :|

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Zardo's game teaches you some of the more edge case movement mechanics so you become a better climber. And also how to convince beetles to leave you alone.

Zardo himself is the best lovely wizard.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

So I picked up dungeonmans finally, but find a couple things..a bit off about it. I'll definitely put more time into it, but it feels like it suffers from some stuff.

It has a tome4-like curve between easy/hard bits, often in a single dungeon. I'm not sure if the idea is to dip out of the dungeon and go somewhere else, but the travel/explore interface is lacking for stuff like that. I've done a variety of approaches, and they've felt fairly equal in the flow of difficulty bits. Essentially crushing a few floors, then running into stuff that drops you fast.

The increased cost on old skills at level is a really weird design and is just throwing me for a loop. It might be out of the small number of abilities and the scaling nature of the academy, but still. On my stamina using guys I really never needed to worry about the cost for using the same thing multiple times, because the increase often just made it unable to use. I'd be able to use each ability roughly once before being dry.

There are some other things that I can't quite put into words. It really feels like a mix of crawl/tome4 but that each of those encountered an issue and just went a different way of resolving it. I guess both of those also have been around longer with more work gone into tuning and stuff.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Take the Tireless perk, it reduces the stamina cooldown from 5 rounds (which always felt insanely punitive to me) to 2.

The increasing cost of abilities as you level just keeps abilities meaningfully expensive (and pulls back the curtain on the hilarity of vertical rpg design, but let's not have that conversation), but they don't scale as fast as your stats do, so as you beef up, you can use your stuff more, as you'd expect.

As for difficulty, pay attention to the difficulty indicator at the top of the screen. Deeper/farther east/farther south=harder. 'Dangerous' stuff early in the game, well, is.

You can always back out and go explore elsewhere. Roguelike, caution. Dungeonmans, careful, cautious, on guard, etc.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea I had tireless and the +hp perk on that guy. It literally didn't matter though, because I could use each ability once and be almost out of stamina. If I had taken some more abilities instead of hunting the tree for passives I would have been able to eat all my stamina using just my attacks once. With the stamina cost reduction hat.

Yea I noticed the difficulty indicator up top, just the travel mechanics are pretty lovely for that design. In crawl you have auto-travel to places which lets you jump between branches fairly easy, but also the curve doesn't hit as hard. Tome4 you in general are able to complete a dungeon you go into without needing to bounce to another one, and if you do you get a "teleport out" stick.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There are fairly common teleport out scrolls. As for travel the floors are way way way smaller than crawl or tome, and up/down auto runs you to stairs.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Mr. Wednesday posted:

Zardo's game is by far the easiest shortcut (:smug:)

It certainly seems to be, I just haven't cleared it yet; I always flub a jump at a critical moment and faceplant into spikes or lava. Fatal Flight can eat a loving dick though, it seems like sometimes you're just hosed because four overlapping fans spawn and you can't see far enough to avoid them ahead of time.

Highest I've gotten is somewhere around a dozen floors. I made it through the Heart on my first try, despite all the magma flying around, and managed to kill the incredible hell out of myself in the Ruins by somehow getting hit by a falling icicle while already falling at terminal velocity and then landing on some spikes :stonk:

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
I'm visiting my family for a fairly extended trip currently, so I've been getting in a good amount of gaming on my iPhone. I'd never really given any of the iOS roguelikes a shot before.

Sproggiwood is great so far. I just unlocked the vampire, though I've beaten all the levels so far with each class and have been working my way through savage difficulty, too. I love how puzzley it is. I wish more games presented you with challenges that had to be dealt with so differently. The death effects on the different slimes are genius. That said, I consider it far more of a puzzle game than a roguelike given the lack of penalty for dying on a stage and ability to pre-choose your loadout.

I was itching for some more classic roguelike action, so I picked up Pixel Dungeon, too. It's... ok. I have a character in progress just short of the second boss right now. It suffers hard from the classic roguelike super boring early game. I'm also not a fan of tight hunger clocks and equipment degradation. That said, it's otherwise competent, if not a bit generic. I've heard that some of the mods add a lot more depth and are much more enjoyable, but they aren't currently available on iOS. It sounds like an iOS port of Sprouted is underway, though.

I'll probably look into 868-Hack, Wayward Souls and Cavern soon.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you guys play Towerclimb with a keyboard or a controller?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I've been using a keyboard. It seems pretty intuitive now that I've got the hang of the controls. I still need to try using a controller.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Turtlicious posted:

I personally use a keyboard, but I believe the devs recommend a controller. If you have the choice I'd probably start learning with a controller, as it gives you more finesse in your item throwing. I don't switch to it now just because I'm so used to keyboard and I don't want to have to 'relearn' the game even a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

I use a dual shock 4, pretty happy with it.