Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Wow, that's actually closer to bread flour in the protein department, so that could make a big difference. Higher protein content means more gluten and a chewier product, whereas the lower protein in cake flour will give you a more tender crumb. Bleached or unbleached is fine.

Interesting, this flour is described as being best for "Baking products, cookies and pancakes" as well. Most Dutch cakes are dense, brick like things, I think people here prefer tarts, cookies, pancakes and doughnuts normally.

This actually explains a lot. I've been following all these cake recipes from the UK, and the cakes always come out relatively heavy, I could well have been using the wrong type of flour the whole time. My self-raising flour is actually 13% protein according to the pack... This being the Netherlands, there's actually a windmill down the road the specializes in selling flour, I'll wander over tomorrow and see if they have anything better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yes, it makes a huge difference, and so does new baking powder/soda!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm supposed to bring a dish for Christmas Day; I was thinking a nice big pan of cornbread but what else to go with it? Or something related to cornbread, or even entirely separate? Maybe something with potatoes? It will be about a 30-45 minute drive from my house but I do have a slow cooker if need.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Cornbread with butter and a bottle of sorghum syrup.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm supposed to bring a dish for Christmas Day; I was thinking a nice big pan of cornbread but what else to go with it? Or something related to cornbread, or even entirely separate? Maybe something with potatoes? It will be about a 30-45 minute drive from my house but I do have a slow cooker if need.

You could make some good honey butter. Although if you want to use up potatoes and you have access to an oven once you get there then either mashed potatoes or potatoes au gratin would work well.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

detectivemonkey posted:

You could make some good honey butter. Although if you want to use up potatoes and you have access to an oven once you get there then either mashed potatoes or potatoes au gratin would work well.

This sounds delicious but I don't have a stand mixer. How hard would it be with a hand mixer?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Cornbread with butter and a bottle of sorghum syrup.

I've never had this either.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This sounds delicious but I don't have a stand mixer. How hard would it be with a hand mixer?

I've never had this either.

You might need the butter to soften a little more but it should be fine. Just roll it up into a log in parchment paper and pop it in the fridge overnight to harden it back up. And yes, it is delicious. My go-to for challah.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I want to make a lasagna 1 day ahead. Should I make it and refrigerate it uncooked, baking it the day of? Or should I bake it ahead of time, and reheat it to serve?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Lasagne only improves with repeat bakings: you get more caramelized cheese on the top and such.

I always make it, bake it, fridge it, and then bake it again.

EDIT: gently caress one day, make it days ahead if you'd like. It freezes well.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Thanks. Do you do the reheat at a lower temp?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

taqueso posted:

Thanks. Do you do the reheat at a lower temp?

Nope, bake it the same way both times.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'm making linguini with clans tonight. I usually use canned clams and clam juice but my sister in law brought over whole clams.

Recipes online that use whole clams don't call for clam juice. Will I get the clam juice bit out of cooking the whole clams or should I add the clam juice like I usually do?

Here's the plan for the sauce:

Olive oil
Add garlic and red pepper
Add cup of wine and clams
Cook til clams open, remove clams
Add butter, adjust seasoning.

It just doesn't seem like i have enough liquid.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Can I make powdered sugar with granulated and a mortar and pestle?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Maybe, and if you mix it with some cornstarch afterwards. Powdered sugar is always mixed with some, which effects it's properties in many applications.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

That's good to know. I've seen some hot cocoa recipes that call for powdered sugar alongside corn starch anyway.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Should I bother spatchcocking a 4 lb chicken?

Also, is it nigh impossible to get the backbone out without kitchen shears? I have a big chef's knife.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 25, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You can do it but cutting bone with a knife A) sucks and B) dulls it. Shears work a lot better. Or a cleaver but you'd want it to be flat already to really go to town with one of those.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Spatchcock all birds.

I use a boning knife.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The chickens over here are pretty small (2-3 lbs) and I didn't notice any benefits to spatchcocking. I stopped bothering.

I am also cooking in a glorified (very nicely glorified) toaster oven so that might be a bigger factor.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Powdered sugar is always mixed with some, which effects it's properties in many applications.

Ten years reading this forum, and I still learn new things.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Spatchcock all birds.

Truth.

Mary Crimbo motherfuckers!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Maybe, and if you mix it with some cornstarch afterwards. Powdered sugar is always mixed with some, which effects it's properties in many applications.

Huh. I guess that explains why the cookie glaze I made of just powdered sugar and milk tastes a bit metallic.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i got some black garlic over christmas and was wondering what would be a good recipe to make use of it since i have no idea how to use it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

i got some black garlic over christmas and was wondering what would be a good recipe to make use of it since i have no idea how to use it

I've had black garlic for years and haven't done much with it other than showing them to people for wows. Tonight someone mentioned that it reminded them of balsamic vinegar, and now I'm trying to brainstorm ways to use them as a solid form of balsamic.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Anyone got a recommendation for any food books?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Sorry, that's far too vague to be answered.

Ask a more specific question.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Tired Moritz posted:

On Food and Cooking, by Harold McGee

It is definitely a food book!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tired Moritz posted:

This is good if you want to do fancy deserts and such, but I found it a little boring.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Tired Moritz posted:

Natural Harvest is generally considered the best cookbook in its class.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Tired Moritz posted:

The A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin.

Seriously though, The Flavor Bible was recommended to me in this thread and it's great.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The Eccentric's Cookbook is pretty amazing. I got given a copy a few years ago, but I'm still to try its recipe for elephant...

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Jose posted:

A place here makes brioche toasts with black garlic and brie served with apricot-thyme jam that is just amazing. Not exactly a recipe but seriously delicious.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jose posted:

If you're just looking for ideas, I had a bowl of ramen once that was loaded with sesame, black garlic, various vegetables and pork shoulder over a soba-style noodle. It was pretty great.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

My cheap spare blender has rust coming out of the bottom screw. What's a good way to treat it?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

My cheap spare blender has rust coming out of the bottom screw. What's a good way to treat it?
Break-Free CLP. On a q-tip or something like that if you can't get it out, just disassemble it otherwise.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Hi Goons,

Clearing out the kitchen because I finally ran out of room. Found this item and have no idea what it's for. No one else in the house has laid claim to it and a quick google search found nothing. It's quite heavy, all glass, and has "France" stamped into one of the handles.

Looks to be too shallow for a strainer of any kind. Hard to tell from the photo but not all the holes are uniform, so possible made from hand (or really lovely factory). The bottom also has three small "feet" that barely give the holes any clearance.

So, what is this contraption?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Inlay for a pot to steam vegetables?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Or something you bake/steam like an English dessert pudding

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It kinda looks like one of those tops that you put in rice cookers to steam veggies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I agree, it looks like a steamer insert for a pot.