Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the game would be much better if regular MM only counted up to tier 9 while tier 10 was stuck on an "exclusive" MM where only IX and X could play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Psykmoe posted:

http://wotreplays.com/site/2352183#erlenberg-psykmoe-t-34-85_rudy

Carry hard. Was a bit of a nailbiter at the end.

High Caliber as a tier6 in a tier8 game is just fantastic :gifttank:

The only damage I took in that game was self-inflicted :saddowns:

How much damage did you end up doing? I got a Radley Walters medal in my Rudy not too long ago and only got a 1st class mastery badge. :(

I did die and lose the game, however, because pubbies.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

M.C. McMic posted:

How much damage did you end up doing? I got a Radley Walters medal in my Rudy not too long ago and only got a 1st class mastery badge. :(

I did die and lose the game, however, because pubbies.

3k damage and 1.1k spotting/assisting. Also, shooting higher tiers is better xp.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
Yeah, I don't think I did a lot of spotting in my matchup, and I may have been top tier. I can't remember. I deleted the replay by accident.

Anyway, you need to have monster game in a Rudy to get a Mastery badge. So, good work. I'll check out the replay later.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I could have done even more damage if I'd been slinging gold or maybe aimed a little better here and there (8 misses and 7 bounces out of 33 shots), but I was mostly concerned about keeping the gun hot - and hey, paid off with the two hits on the T28 Proto. I also could have left the eastern hills a little earlier to reposition behind the house but without 6th Sense I play paranoid.

Having those two HE shells to wreck the Rhoomba (AP might have taken 3 shots baring really high rolls) also probably helped because it meant I got done with the GW Tiger a little earlier too, which might have contributed to the ISU not having a real good shot on me and giving me time to get on his side. Plus I wasn't sure about the reload on the 15cm Rhoomba gun. :shrug:

All in all, that final Rhoomba > GW Tiger P > ISU-152 > M40/43 fight really worked out very well despite me killing my gunner with that jump into the water. Better lucky than good :confuoot:

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 22, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

M.C. McMic posted:

Right, that's what I'm doing now. I was more wondering about low tier crew training.

For instance, in tiers I-III, I just dismissed my crews and bought a new tank and crew when I progressed. At what point would you actually start investing in a crew? At what tier would you buy a 75% or 100% crew and start worrying about transferring them to the next tier?

From what I understand, the AMX 50 100 and the AMX 50B are the two keepers in the French heavy line. Should I start transferring my crew over from tier VI to VII with an eye on eventually keeping them in the 50 100? And then cycle 50 100 crew and 50B crew through the FCM 50 t?

Back when I started playing years ago, I did a dumb thing with my crews. First, I kept them in tanks that I was also keeping, never moving them up a line. Second, I would always retrain for free. I mean credits were in short supply early on, and I didn't have gold, and I didn't know how to play, and we didn't even start with 100% crews at tier 1, but yeah, I figured out that if you're retraining for free, existing crew members are only worth keeping if they're at ~62% (because then they retrain to >50%). :downs: Also, I had crews specifically trained for my premium tanks, and I never did crew swapping. (I didn't have that handy auto-crew-move mod, and I had a ton of tanks even back then, so swapping back and forth was very tedious.) The end result is that I have a lot of moderately-trained crews, few highly skilled ones, and a surplus of tankers in the barracks due to the eventual crew consolidation. I had no place to start using the girl crews until the CZ line appeared.

So needless to say, now I pay more attention to my crews. In the low tiers, you spend so little time in those tanks that it's often not worth spending gold to retrain, or even playing them in the first place. For example, I contemplated playing the CZ line from tier 1, but not only is the first half of the tree not even good, it would've been a waste of time and credits/gold with all the retraining so I skipped to tier 6 as previously mentioned. With that in mind, if I was grinding up each tier from the bottom, I'd probably use credits until maybe going from 5 to 6. Also note that lower tiers often have crew layouts radically different from higher ones, which tend to be C-G-D-L, possibly with an R, so you often have to add or leave out tankers until the crew situation stabilizes. You could consider retraining the radioman for credits or even for free, particularly since he's the least important position and is often dropped at higher tiers.

Edit: YESSS! I finally finished the T28 and can move on. What's the next tank again? Oh yeah....

:smith:

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 22, 2015

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Come on the T95 is one of the most hilarious tanks to play, and it just received an HP buff.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

WitchFetish posted:

Come on the T95 is one of the most hilarious tanks to play, and it just received an HP buff.

France has truly become a sad place to live in, if a T95 is hilarious.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
My dad is a big tank buff and I want to gift him the 14 days of premium + 2 garage spots + gold package from the premium store, but I don't remember if his old account is EU or US, or even the name of the account. Is there any way to get codes for stuff like that, rather than directly gifting from account to account?

Also the last time either of us played was like two years ago, way before the new physics or graphics. How different is the game these days? Like, not asking for a point-by-point breakdown, just "it's real loving different" vs "it's the same with more tanks and better lighting"?

Pierson fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 22, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Pierson posted:

My dad is a big tank buff and I want to gift him the 14 days of premium + 2 garage spots + gold package from the premium store, but I don't remember if his old account is EU or US, or even the name of the account. Is there any way to get codes for stuff like that, rather than directly gifting from account to account?

Good god please don't gift anyone this game. Though if you absolutely have to, find the best starter code out there (ask in the WoT Private Game Servers thread) right now, be sure to start the account during the time you can get him the free tank garage slot, and if you have to spend any money at all, make sure the new account has the KV-220-2, the package comes with 4700g and an extra slot for $29.99. With the 2200g left over after loading the account with a month of premium, buy him a Churchill III and Excelsior (both are temporarily 50% off in the in-game store until 1/1). Between the three of those fixed-T5 MM heavy tanks he should have a good time since they're pretty fool-proof, and the Russian heavies in particular are very forgiving. It's difficult for even the worst of players to lock three T5 heavies at any given time, and they're profitable enough to even play off-premium.

Plus, as a new account he'll play with fellow newbies until T3 in his starter tanks, which will allow him more re-acclimation time. Also, you might remind him that each new account basically comes with eight 'free' garage slots since there's not a whole lof of reason to hang onto each nation's T1 tank once you've elited them.

And to answer your question - if both you and he are in the US, his account was slicked and moved over long ago.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 22, 2015

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mmkay posted:

France has truly become a sad place to live in, if a T95 is hilarious.

I'm obviously german tho?

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

WitchFetish posted:

I'm obviously german tho?

Paging ZombieLenin.

utvolsbaby
May 19, 2004
Go Big Orange
For those of us with Type 59 envy, is the T-34-3 similar at all? I love the T-44 right now, but I feel clunky in it in certain situations. Gun depression mostly. I guess I'm enticed by the 15% off right now..

I closed the tab that had Hellsau's remarks on premium tanks :(.

Thanks.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

utvolsbaby posted:

For those of us with Type 59 envy, is the T-34-3 similar at all? I love the T-44 right now, but I feel clunky in it in certain situations. Gun depression mostly. I guess I'm enticed by the 15% off right now..

I closed the tab that had Hellsau's remarks on premium tanks :(.

Thanks.

I own all three tanks you mentioned and have 3 skill crews in both the T-44 and for the Chinese premiums. If you don't like the 7 degrees gun depression the T-44 has on the LB-1 you're probably not going to like 5 degrees on the T-34-3. Type 59 has 7 too.

Also the Type and T-34-3 are less agile than the T-44. Still, that alpha on a moderately mobile platform makes the T-34-3 rather fun, and I hated it before 9.13 when it had only 3 degrees depression :barf:

Both Type 59 and T-34-3 handle their guns clunkier than the T-44, both in turret bloom and aim time. Still, the T-34-3 is the only pref-8 premium tank that offers both medium playstyle and medium camo. (The FCM 50T is fast but the size of a house and can't do vision games well on the few maps that matters on, the other tier8 medium premiums either have normal MM or are the Super Pershing).

The T-34-3 hull isn't as tough as the Type 59's, and its turret is also slightly easier to pen, but it's still a great turret against most guns you see, just not against all the gold shells.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 22, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Pierson posted:

Also the last time either of us played was like two years ago, way before the new physics or graphics. How different is the game these days? Like, not asking for a point-by-point breakdown, just "it's real loving different" vs "it's the same with more tanks and better lighting"?

Regardless of if you find his old account or make a new one, you should reinvite/invite him via the refer a friend program, that way you'll get bonus XP if you play together.

utvolsbaby
May 19, 2004
Go Big Orange

Psykmoe posted:

I own all three tanks you mentioned and have 3 skill crews in both the T-44 and for the Chinese premiums. If you don't like the 7 degrees gun depression the T-44 has on the LB-1 you're probably not going to like 5 degrees on the T-34-3. Type 59 has 7 too.

Also the Type and T-34-3 are less agile than the T-44. Still, that alpha on a moderately mobile platform makes the T-34-3 rather fun, and I hated it before 9.13 when it had only 3 degrees depression :barf:

Both Type 59 and T-34-3 handle their guns clunkier than the T-44, both in turret bloom and aim time. Still, the T-34-3 is the only pref-8 premium tank that offers both medium playstyle and medium camo. (The FCM 50T is fast but the size of a house and can't do vision games well on the few maps that matters on, the other tier8 medium premiums either have normal MM or are the Super Pershing).

The T-34-3 hull isn't as tough as the Type 59's, and its turret is also slightly easier to pen, but it's still a great turret against most guns you see, just not against all the gold shells.

This is great information. Thank you.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
The armor on the type is just a thing you use if you want to gamble on winning a match quickly. People sling too much gold. For the game-dominating medium play in a moneymaking tank, the CDC is a more than adequate substitute that requires some caution. If you want that *and* pref mm, sorry. Type 59 is still in a class of its own.

Pierson posted:

If you can find and use the email address he originally registered with, it's just a matter of talking to WG support. You can't buy codes from WG at will, they hand them out or package them or franchise them.

Trying BH's idea of finding a spare goon code is probably best, but short of that you probably need to spoil the gift and get your dad's co-operation.

Darkrenown posted:

Regardless of if you find his old account or make a new one, you should reinvite/invite him via the refer a friend program, that way you'll get bonus XP if you play together.
I don't think that program is active any more. Which is a disappointment.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

stephenfry posted:

I don't think that program is active any more. Which is a disappointment.

It's still active.

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

Pierson posted:

I don't remember if two years was before the game had any physics at all - when you would just stop at the top of a cliff if you tried to drive off. If that sounds familiar, it's basically a completely new much better game.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

T-34-3 has 5 degrees of depression now sheeeeit

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

McGavin posted:

It's still active.

I can't speak to the friend part but I got a "welcome back" mission set that straight up gives me 1500 gold and a Churchill III for playing 15 games, then winning 10 games, then earning 25k experience. Also a free week of premium.

Does anyone know the timeframe to trigger this set of missions? If I give up tanks again for a couple months (I will) I want to know how long it takes to get free gold and premium again.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Has anyone done the Secret Santa thing?

lol

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Control Volume posted:

I can't speak to the friend part but I got a "welcome back" mission set that straight up gives me 1500 gold and a Churchill III for playing 15 games, then winning 10 games, then earning 25k experience. Also a free week of premium.

Does anyone know the timeframe to trigger this set of missions? If I give up tanks again for a couple months (I will) I want to know how long it takes to get free gold and premium again.

I quit for about 15 months and got no such thing, reported for chits, idiot.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

West007 posted:

I quit for about 15 months and got no such thing, reported for chits, idiot.

maybe they track your logins or browser agent or cookies or something, see if you are paying attention to the game even if you aren't logging in to the client.

Control Volume posted:

did you get a welcome back email specifically inviting you to do these missions before playing the game again?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

stephenfry posted:

maybe they track your logins or browser agent or cookies or something, see if you are paying attention to the game even if you aren't logging in to the client.

did you get a welcome back email specifically inviting you to do these missions before playing the game again?

Maybe I did but I didn't click any link to join back up as far as I can remember, I just opened up the client and started playing and it gave me week of premium for playing a single game and told me to complete the rest of the missions.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Control Volume posted:

Maybe I did but I didn't click any link to join back up as far as I can remember, I just opened up the client and started playing and it gave me week of premium for playing a single game and told me to complete the rest of the missions.

This happened to me too. Played a match after a long break and they gave me a week of premium and a set of easy missions. After doing those I had earned 900 gold, 600 000 credits and the Excelsior, which was pretty sweet. Certainly a nice try from Wargaming to get me hooked on the game again. Luckily I don't have much time for this poo poo anymore. :v:

edit:

Yeah it seems they had sent me mail about it:

"So We're Challenging You With Personal, Highly Rewarded Missions"

"Complete the missions below and receive the British Heavy Tank Excelsior as your ultimate reward."

Meta-Mollusk fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 23, 2015

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not gonna lie, that's a nice reward. The Excelsior is one of the better pref 5s.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

poo poo now I kinda wish I got that set, it would be 600 less gold but I already have the Churchill III

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
In which pubbies fail to shoot a loving Indien-Panzer in the right place and get rolled because of it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I don't understand why so many of you are so angry when you play this game, even when you're winning. You should just chill, drink a brew, smoke a bowl, and shoot some tanks.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'm telling you, the IndPz's armor layout is cool as hell

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too
I just won a Type-59 or any 8 or lower... what would you guys suggest? I own a Type already, and a KV-5...
[edit]"TYPE 59 or a tier 8 or lower premium tank currently on the tech tree in game"

SpiDeR fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 23, 2015

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SpiDeR posted:

I just won a Type-59 or any 8 or lower... what would you guys suggest? I own a Type already, and a KV-5...

CDC, Sherman Revalorise, IS-6. M6A2E1 Clownshoe if possible?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Control Volume posted:

I don't understand why so many of you are so angry when you play this game, even when you're winning. You should just chill, drink a brew, smoke a bowl, and shoot some tanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Prav posted:

i'm telling you, the IndPz's armor layout is cool as hell

That round tin pot turret worked really well I think, it felt like you could reliably bounce most medium guns, together with the great gun depression and decent mobility it was a pretty nice grind. gently caress that gun handling though.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Got a Confederate and Fadin's Medal in my leFH during a Tier V match the other day. Lobbed out over 1,800 damage and had to use my last two shells (the only two HEAT shells I carry) on enemy arty. Feels good and dirty at the same time.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Control Volume posted:

I personally got too invested in my stats. Being in one of the top 3 clans NA was a chore, made me pretty loving angry when I lost because it made me look much shitter than my clan mates.

That is why I quit. Other people are angry because they just hate losing.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Mesadoram posted:

I personally got too invested in my stats. Being in one of the top 3 clans NA was a chore, made me pretty loving angry when I lost because it made me look much shitter than my clan mates.

That is why I quit. Other people are angry because they just hate losing.
Join a casual clan. My clan is super casual but we still strive to better ourselves and will do Strongholds sometimes. We only have like 30-40 members but our overall winrate is like 52 or 53%.

I tried CW once and it was just stressful and aggravating. Play for fun, but play to win as well.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I'm in [STUG] because I do not accept any lesser clan icon on my pixel tanks :colbert:

I've shifted my play habits from grinding lines to just recreation pretty early, since I'll never do CW anyway. This is how I'm sneaking up on 17k games with only one tier10 unlocked. I can spend hours enjoying myself playing cool tanks I have elited ages ago, but playing the same one over and over towards the next unlock can feel way too much like a job.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

NDP clearly has the superior clan name/logo.

I just wait until tanks go on sale for at least their "On Track" discounts before buying them, do doubles in them until I research the next tank, then repeat the process. I've also been trying to get Ace Tanker in all my low tier tanks. So far I have Aced every non-premium tank between tiers 1-5 except for the ones in the new Japanese heavy and Czech lines. Occasionally I will try to do missions (gently caress you LT-15 :argh:).