Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Arcsquad12 posted:

That said, bravo for the First Order somehow being even more bugfuck crazy than the Empire was.
Depending on when exactly work on Starkiller Base started, it could well by a byproduct of Kylo Ren's inferiority complex. "Grandpa had a big battlestation that could blow up a planet. To be better than him, I need to build a BIGGER battlestation that can blow up a LOT of planets, from even farther away! :mad:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Depending on when exactly work on Starkiller Base started, it could well by a byproduct of Kylo Ren's inferiority complex. "Grandpa had a big battlestation that could blow up a planet. To be better than him, I need to build a BIGGER battlestation that can blow up a LOT of planets, from even farther away! :mad:"

To add some extra irony, maybe somebody pointed out that Vader didn't hold much stock in Superweapons compared to the power of the Force. Could explain Kylo's console destroying tantrums.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Really I just think he needs a whole lot of therapy. And maybe a thread in space-E/N for him to have a meltdown in.

General Banthashit > Everything/Nothing > I killed my dad and threw him into a pit and now everyone looks at me like I'm a psycho, what gives?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I, personally, do not care if Kylo is ever redeemed. That whiny little brat needs to have his rear end beat by Rey before being thrown down a pit like his granddad's boss. gently caress you, Kylo. :argh:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was just looking about online to see if there were any pictures of the character, and it looks like a lot of people think (not sure if this is a spoiler or not; erring on the side of caution) Supreme Leader Snoke is Darth Plagueis. I don't think it's especially likely, but it's an interesting conjecutre.

Speaking of said character, is Snoke meant to be really, really tall, or is it just an oversized hologram of him?

Every time we see hologram figure communication (rather than video screen, say) from fleet/army officers to the bridge of The Executor, it seems like that other party is a small figure and looking upwards. And of course there's the Emperor's special head setting.

I think he's not a giant.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 21, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I really don't like all this conjecture that either one of or both Poe and Finn are Force-sensitive. I'm super stoked we didn't hear the loving word "midichlorian" anywhere in this, and in that way the new trilogy seems to be returning to the OT's point of view regarding the nature of the Force, but I really just want Poe to be a loving good pilot on his merits alone without the intervention of the Force, just like Finn gets his empathy triggered by the massacre on Jakku without being told to feel guilty by some mystical godhead energy field. The OT made it pretty clear that there were many, many people in the Rebellion who were just fanfuckingtastic at what they did without any need for the Force whatsoever (Han/Chewie/Wedge/etc.), and that brought it down to Earth for me. I like Jedi just fine, but I find characters who succeed despite their own setbacks and inner conflict to be much more interesting than characters who succeed because yer a wizard, 'arry.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Okay which one of you is behind this....

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014

Drone posted:

I really don't like all this conjecture that either one of or both Poe and Finn are Force-sensitive. I'm super stoked we didn't hear the loving word "midichlorian" anywhere in this, and in that way the new trilogy seems to be returning to the OT's point of view regarding the nature of the Force, but I really just want Poe to be a loving good pilot on his merits alone without the intervention of the Force, just like Finn gets his empathy triggered by the massacre on Jakku without being told to feel guilty by some mystical godhead energy field.

I read the Shattered Empire comic arc last night, which is about Poe's parents. It's got great art but the writing is pretty boring IMO, but it is interesting for a couple of reasons. First, for all the effort TFA made to avoid recalling the prequels, Shattered Empire has this really odd lengthy fanservice segment where Leia goes to Naboo and she and Poe's mom and the new Queen go to the hanger where they store the Naboo starfighters from Phantom Menace, Leia sees Darth Maul's face in a Force vision, and they all fly up to fight off an ISD together. There's even a shot of Leia wearing the little leather helmet Anakin wore. It's kinda weird.

The other thing is that Luke and Poe's mom rescue cuttings of "the tree at the center of the old Jedi Temple on Coruscant" which is of course "strong in the Force." Luke didn't realize there would be two, so he gives the extra one to Poe's mom and she plants it near (presumably) the house he grows up in.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh it is pretty good, but as a British Star Wars fan would have been nice to hear him speaking his real accent :smith:.

Hey there are loads of British people in the movie.

It's just they're all bad guys :smith:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm pretty sure in the showdown for the next one it isn't going to be so much that Kylo Ren is a threat, but Rey. She whooped his rear end without any formal training. What's going to happen is she will beat him, then has to decide to spare him or kill him in cold blood and go to the dark side. Rey is the dangerous one. And Kylo Ren is such a little poo poo, that it is going to take a bit of control for her not to lop his head right off.

Kylo Ren is a very different villain than what we're used to. Darth Vader outclassed Luke by a large degree and was like an imposing, unstoppable threat. Kylo Ren on the other hand badly wants to be Darth Vader, but is a pale imitation and suffers from a huge inferiority complex. And he's going to be even more neurotic after being humiliated by his newbie cousin on the Starkiller.

feedmegin posted:

Hey there are loads of British people in the movie.

It's just they're all bad guys :smith:

Um... Daisy Ridley and John Boyega are British and they're the main characters. Finn just doesn't have the accent.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Saw it. Only real complaints are another retarded superweapon, seriously? and Snoke is the dumbest loving name.

Other than that it felt like it was trying a little too hard to be A New Hope, but it didn't really do anything wrong (compare Into Darkness which really, really wanted to be Wrath of Khan but just hosed it up.) The new characters are neat and the dialogue was pretty good; I liked the whole Cold War schtick they seemed to be doing although if the Empire nuked their capital who the gently caress knows what's gonna happen

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

going off the political stuff, does anyone think JJ might be recycling the plot of Into Darkness?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

yronic heroism posted:

going off the political stuff, does anyone think JJ might be recycling the plot of Into Darkness?

Not really. Into Darkness was about a rogue Starfleet Admiral wanting to commit genocide against the Klingons using the pretense of a coming war as justification.
Force Awakens is about a bush war in the mid rim because the New Republic cannot afford to go to war with the First Order for political reasons despite the First Order openly declaring war on them. The Klingons would have needed to be in a state of war with the Federation for the comparison to make sense, which it doesn't.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not really. Into Darkness was about a rogue Starfleet Admiral wanting to commit genocide against the Klingons using the pretense of a coming war as justification.
Force Awakens is about a bush war in the mid rim because the New Republic cannot afford to go to war with the First Order for political reasons despite the First Order openly declaring war on them. The Klingons would have needed to be in a state of war with the Federation for the comparison to make sense, which it doesn't.

As someone who hasn't read the tie-ins yet, is it established that the first order attacked first? When and where and how long ago did this happen? Are we sure any acts of war (like wiping out the new Jedi order) weren't retaliation for something the resistance did? (Possibly giving rise to Kylo's view they're "murderers and traitors". Also sounds like the Klingons were basically attacking individual federation ships without really doing major aggression if I remember that movie.

Basically I don't know from watching the film what the real situation is but I think they left the door open to go there.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also I was discussing this with my brother: Rey is a pretty classic rags-to-riches hero going from an orphaned scavenger on some lovely backwater to joining the Rebellion; and Luke was the same way in the original trilogy. But off the top of my head I can't think of any EU characters that fit the same mold.

(Also I really hope they don't go with Rey being Luke's daughter)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

StashAugustine posted:

. But off the top of my head I can't think of any EU characters that fit the same mold.

Ania Solo, maybe? Though Legacy 2 got cut pretty short. A'Sharad Hett, for a given value of hero, too. Though they're just examples from the comics, because that's what I've read most recently. I suppose Kyp Durron might count...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Also I was discussing this with my brother: Rey is a pretty classic rags-to-riches hero going from an orphaned scavenger on some lovely backwater to joining the Rebellion; and Luke was the same way in the original trilogy. But off the top of my head I can't think of any EU characters that fit the same mold.

(Also I really hope they don't go with Rey being Luke's daughter)

Kyp Durron would basically fit the mold if you forgive him his trip into shittown.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

StashAugustine posted:

Ezra Bridger.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I know people have repressed TPM but prequel Anakin obvi.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

^^TPM isn't EU^^

Megachile posted:

The other thing is that Luke and Poe's mom rescue cuttings of "the tree at the center of the old Jedi Temple on Coruscant" which is of course "strong in the Force." Luke didn't realize there would be two, so he gives the extra one to Poe's mom and she plants it near (presumably) the house he grows up in.

Well that's just ripping off the Simarillion.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 22, 2015

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

yronic heroism posted:

I know people have repressed TPM but prequel Anakin obvi.

What do you mean "prequel?" George only made 4-6, he never got around to the prequel movies.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Hahahaha never heard a SJW (star justice warrior) pull that one before. Nope.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You're the SJW here, going all "rape is a bad thing to do." NuGBS would tear you apart.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

They'd have to accept it because Tales from the Bounty Hunters Boba Fett said it, and he's a confirmed virgin in that book.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love how similar it is to a certain real world conflict that we have

In other stuff, is it me or do Ren and Rey look /really/ similar to Revan and Bastila out of Old Republic?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I didn't see Bastila but yeah now that you mention it the staff is reminiscent of her double lightsaber. And yeah Ren's mask looks a lot like Revan

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
On a second viewing, I'm liking the music more. It's not as hummable as some of the older tracks, due to a lot of the composition being more complex, but a lot more of the themes stuck out to me this time around. Rey's theme and March of the Resistance are the standouts, but I'm growing fond of Kylo Ren's leitmotif and how it hits that unpleasant and slightly tragic note that goes well with his character.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Arcsquad12 posted:

On a second viewing, I'm liking the music more. It's not as hummable as some of the older tracks, due to a lot of the composition being more complex, but a lot more of the themes stuck out to me this time around. Rey's theme and March of the Resistance are the standouts, but I'm growing fond of Kylo Ren's leitmotif and how it hits that unpleasant and slightly tragic note that goes well with his character.

I realized right around my third viewing how Rey's theme and The Force's theme mixed together in the climactic lightsaber fight. (Can I stop using spoiler tags now)? All the music I was trying to listen for from previous movies is bold and powerful, but the new character themes are subtle, and tend to mix in with the themes for planets and moments. I was missing a lot of them because of how subtle it was, which is exactly what I wasn't listening for in a Star Wars movie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Williams traded in bombast for subtlety for the majority of this soundtrack and I really dig it. I could go for one "big" track akin to Duel of the Fates or the Imperial March...but overall this is an amazing score

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

jivjov posted:

Yeah, Williams traded in bombast for subtlety for the majority of this soundtrack and I really dig it. I could go for one "big" track akin to Duel of the Fates or the Imperial March...but overall this is an amazing score

I'm guessing this is coming in the sequels. :getin:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Strobe posted:

The most disappointing was Captain Phasma, and I'm 100% sure she's coming back in the next movie with a chip on her shoulder.[/spoiler]

How? she was chucked in the trash and then 20 minutes later the planet blew up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

effectual posted:

You really don't want to think about the timing of the ending too hard.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

effectual posted:

The compactor in Episode IV had a control panel on it, the heroes just couldn't use it. If that one didn't I'd be pretty shocked, and 20 minutes is long enough for our heroes to meet up, hug it out, plant dozens of explosives, get in a protracted lightsaber fight, and then escape.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

effectual posted:

Yeah, and there was a ten minute long swordfight slash dogfight when the base was 2 minutes from firing. Also, Kylo Ren, shot in the hip and limping, managed to get outside of an exploding power regulator ahead of Finn and Rey in under 30 seconds.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
How would she have known to evacuate?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

effectual posted:

She was the one to drop the shields for Finn and Han, and was sitting right there when they said "we won't have much time to rescue Rey"

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

effectual posted:

Probably when the planet started imploding. You noticed that Hux managed to have a conversation with Snoke, get to a ship, go find Kylo Ren in the middle of the pitch dark, imploding winterscape, and get off planet, right?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

effectual posted:

My mate said that she could probably just say something like "This is Phasma, I'm in trash compactor 42D, please shut it down immediately" and have her subordinates come get her.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought Kylo Rem's theme would be more at home in a Bond movie and now I can't unthink that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

yronic heroism posted:

I thought Kylo Rem's theme would be more at home in a Bond movie and now I can't unthink that.

Appropriate, considering Daniel Craig cameos as the mind tricked Stormtrooper, and his callsign is JB-007