Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

anatomi posted:

Anyone else catch the AT-AT looking vehicles on the surface of Starkiller? Had a more splayed-out, spider-like design. Hope we'll see 'em in the next movie.

And looks like bigger guns instead of heads. They're like StuG-walkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Supercar Gautier posted:

Actually they're going to lose their poo poo when Poe and Finn kiss.

I feel like a filthy Doctor Who/Sherlock/Supernatural fangirl for liking this as much as I do, but argh the dynamic works so well, and Poe is such a dreamboat.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Screen Junkies has their spoiler-filled review up for anybody who's interested or cares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyQRp_1PjbU

Jyppe
Jun 13, 2007
For the Fireman!
I'm curious: Did you feel tension during any of the action scenes. If so, which ones?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

lizardman posted:

Most probably don't mind, but the movie does feel exactly like what it is, some new folks coming in to artificially extend a story that had actually ended pretty definitively a long time ago.

Welcome to the prequels. Also you shortchange anything that fits outside your narrative. Han had years together with Leia and his son, and it only really went off the rails when he lost him. And even then he's not the same exact smuggler. He's far more caring and open with Finn and Rey than he was with Luke in the original movies. And his death is expected by him. There's that pause as he watches Ben walk away where he knows he can just let him go and be fine....but he calls out and stops him because he loves his son and he has to try. That isn't the Han Solo that was in A New Hope. That is a person that grew and changed because of his experiences. So he died. He was old as poo poo and that's what people do, they die. He died trying to save someone he loved, and even in failing he helped save the galaxy. Even after he knows he failed and he's going to die, he still takes his last moment to hold his sons face and let him know he still loves him. How'd you want the old man to go out, rear end cancer on a bed somewhere? Leia hasn't gone backwards as far as we can tell. She was and is a leader. That was always going to be her life. Is it a bit sadder for the loss of a child and husband? Sure, but war was never going to pleasant and things weren't going to be instantly fine because they axed one evil old man and his equally evil and slightly less old sidekick. As for Luke, we don't know why he left. Not for nothing, but he was clearly a poo poo teacher if all his students got murdered by one that went bad. Maybe he's out trying to reflect on a better way. Not for nothing but everyone involved resolved the central conflict of the film without him just fine. Maybe people don't actually need a Skywalker wiping their rear end for them.

And yeah, none of these movies had to be made. You could have just stopped and pretended everyone was happy and they all had great lives [Although the EU books are evidently even worse for poor Han and Leia, where they lose one son young and they have two others that go evil or some poo poo], and let that be that. Or you could say gently caress it and let a new generation of kids have their own Star Wars adventures that pay respect to what came before but also do their own thing. I like the second thing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

On the "Rey is a Mary Sue" debacle, what about Poe?

He is unfailingly kind to a stormtrooper, his enemy, and needs little convincing to trust him. His skills are pumped up and praised by multiple characters. He succeeds at multiple things, is a point of inspiration to Finn after their separation, and the only things he fails at is avoiding torture. His role in the climax is, essentially, to do what Luke Skywalker did WITHOUT the force to help him. He literally has no personal flaws.

Is he a Mary Sue? Of frikking course not.

But the fact that the character gets nothing but praise to the point people say he should be given more focus or even be the actual main character WHILE this poo poo is being slung about Rey is rather telling.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TFRazorsaw posted:

He is unfailingly kind to a stormtrooper, his enemy, and needs little convincing to trust him. His skills are pumped up and praised by multiple characters. He succeeds at multiple things, is a point of inspiration to Finn after their separation, and the only things he fails at is avoiding torture. His role in the climax is, essentially, to do what Luke Skywalker did WITHOUT the force to help him. He literally has no personal flaws.

But the fact that the character gets nothing but praise to the point people say he should be given more focus or even be the actual main character WHILE this poo poo is being slung about Rey is rather telling.

That's actually a very good point. Poe struck me as this movie's Force Jesus character. He even died and came back to life!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I think people ITT would find this amusing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"dear diary at lunch hux read me part of this manifesto he's been writing it really covered a lot of ground"

lol

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

He needs to update his location!!!

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No, he's not. He sold the rights.

Also, his own additions to the canon after the OT mostly consist of racist cartoons, so maybe let's not give him too much credit.

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page

So once and for all The Clone Wars cartoons are 100% canon.

Here's the wiki distillation of all the announcements they made.

quote:

The official Star Wars canon consists of the seven released Star Wars theatrical feature films, the Star Wars animated film and television series The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels, and any other material released after April 25, 2014, unless otherwise stated.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
TL;DR: I just caught up on the last six pages, read it all, bitches!

Calaveron posted:

Like, in the ot and pt getting touched by one meant an instant defeat

In Empire, Luke got off a good hit on Vader before Vader cut his hand off, so no.

ImpAtom posted:

This is made really explicitly clear. Remember when Finn and Rey were talking about poisoning the intruders? Finn points out that the masks they wear don't even protect against gas. They are lovely armor.

That was dumb. Smoke is a toxin, that's why most people who die in fires die from smoke inhalation, not burns.

aBagorn posted:

So that we can have these scenes

We had that scene:

The problem is with consistency during the rest of the film, and that's down to JJ's pacing and sense of scale and speed and weight and depth and his desire for spectacle over story. He telegraphs this with the Tie Fighter being swallowed up. For a brief moment you're there with Finn realizing that you're all alone, lost in the des[BOOOOOOM!]

It's not that the travel was instantaneous, he showed pretty clearly several times that it wasn't, it's that the film didn't have any breathing moments for the travel to have taken place in.

Most (All?) of the cut-away scenes during the travel were one minute set pieces where the characters are already in the same room, nobody's waiting for Vader and Tarkin to show up in the briefing room, there's no Tie Fighter on patrol, Vader isn't walking the halls of the Star Destroyer to meet his officers after an establishing shot, everybody's already in place and talking.

These things are minor shots that take five or ten seconds of the viewer's time, but they have a subconscious psychological impact.

It's just a conceit of modern smash-cut film-making, but it does detract from the feeling of a great, huge galaxy because there's no time to breath and reflect. Or it's that JJ is afraid of silence and thinks that if he stops talking, people will stop paying attention.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Piloting a hoverspeeder on a desert planet makes you really good at flying starships. This was established in the OT so it's within The Rules.

And the PT! Cause this is pod-racing!

Wank posted:

Every design that wasn't from the OT was crap. (Except maybe Kylos shuttle but only because it was huge). Lucas is much better at that stuff than JJ. The budget of this was double that of the prequel movies? Though I suppose that proves with a bit more care and money spent is the difference between seeing a movie once and telling all your friends and seeing a movie twice.

That's because instead of building stages with "automatic doors" that are really opened by guys off screen pulling a rope, JJ built working sets with actual hydraulic doors that crushed his star's leg.

Serf posted:

I remember watching a special feature or something where they talk about the lightsabers being really heavy, but that was just something Lucas did because the first fight scene was between an old man and a cyborg. Gradually they eased up on it from there. You see Luke go one-handed a couple of times in Empire, and then by the time of the PT that whole "lightsabers are really heavy" thing seems to have gone out the window.

Of course the explanation is that they were just getting better at doing fight scenes iirc

Vader goes one-handed, and it's pretty clearly to show he's a badass and he's just toying with Luke. As the fight progresses and Luke starts getting an advantage, he goes back to two-handing it. Every time Luke One-hands it, he gets overwhelmed or disarmed.

I'm pretty sure they had the same fight coordinator in all three. The actual explanation is that they developed more sturdy models for them in Empire and Jedi, In IV they were originally trying to do an in-camera effect and the glass-bead covered "blades" were a lot easier to break and more expensive to replace. By the time Jedi rolled around, they were 100% committed to doing the effects in post, and you can see one of the takes on the Death Star where Luke is beating on Vader and the stick stuck in the end of the hilt flies off. Such a move would have destroyed the actual blade on the original film's saber, in Jedi, it's literally just a wooden dowel.

beejay posted:

I feel like Finn has some Force "affinity" or whatever.

This was the impression I got. I don't think Ren just stopped and stared at him after the shooting was done because he was just standing there. There wasn't any "why aren't you doing your job" because the Stormtroopers had already shot all the villagers and there wasn't anything left for them to do.

AndyElusive posted:

Screen Junkies has their spoiler-filled review up for anybody who's interested or cares.

Ugh, no thanks. Max Landis pretty much solidified himself as "somebody to ignore" with his rant about Rey as a Mary Sue and how he's not sexist.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

temple posted:

Luke Skywalker: How did my father die?
Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: Without dignity.

Also, I may have missed it but Kathleen Kennedy has confirmed that Phasma will be back for Ep VIII, in a larger role. Which is good.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-ca-hc-the-women-of-star-wars-the-force-awakens-20151206-htmlstory.html

Also, this is goddamned adorable.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

TFRazorsaw posted:

He's just a fun, nice guy. He had a few moments to shine but he's already established and not a main character. I think the difference with Rey is that we just get shown that she knows how to pilot a falcon, becomes a force adept etc. It could be jarring, but I figure there's some sort of reason in the story for those choices.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Luke is a Mary Sue - that was covered in the old thread - he was a perfect blank slate for adolescent boys and for many people in the late 70's.

My Q-Face posted:

JJ's pacing and sense of scale and speed and weight and depth and his desire for spectacle over story. He telegraphs this with the Tie Fighter being swallowed up. For a brief moment you're there with Finn realizing that you're all alone, lost in the des(BOOOOOOM!)

This is a good example - things are very fast-paced - they kept telling JJ to keep the film at X length because they get anxious about attention spans. I would love to see an extended cut.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 23, 2015

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Wild Horses posted:

He's just a fun, nice guy. He had a few moments to shine but he's already established and not a main character. I think the difference with Rey is that we just get shown that she knows how to pilot a falcon, becomes a force adept etc. It could be jarring, but I figure there's some sort of reason in the story for those choices.

I guarantee you that if Poe were a lady and had those same qualities that they'd be getting criticism.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

McDowell posted:

Luke is a Mary Sue - that was covered in the old thread - he was a perfect blank slate for adolescent boys and for many people in the late 70's.

Luke isn't really a blank slate, he's actively a whinging dickbag for almost the entire first film.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Luke isn't really a blank slate, he's actively a whinging dickbag for almost the entire first film.

He's whining because he's stuck in nowhere and the only way he knows how to get out is through the State - suddenly these droids show up and he sets off on an adventure to crusade for freedom, free from his past life.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

dear diary
mom and dad still don't believe that my name is kylo
dad laughs whenever i say it
nobody at school calls me kylo but hux

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

wookiee life day is a bullshit holiday

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Motto posted:

wookiee life day is a bullshit holiday

He's not wrong!

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

blue squares posted:

Upon my second watch I can settle the "sanitation" debate.

HAN: What did you do when you were stationed here?
FINN: Sanitation.

Since Finn has been in the First Order since birth, he has likely held many assignments. Before being old enough to fight, he was stationed on Starkiller and did sanitation. Then he was transferred to combat.
He said his name was "Finn" because he was ashamed of being called "Roger Wilco"

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Jyppe posted:

I'm curious: Did you feel tension during any of the action scenes. If so, which ones?

Maybe I'm easy to emotionally manipulate but I'd say most of them except the scene in which Rey and Fin escape to the Falcon because I knew it was just an excuse to get them off Jakku in a hurry. The final assault on the starkiller base wasn't that worrisome but I was very worried Greg Grunberg was going to die because I didn't realize he's now a small but important part of the canon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So was that guy supposed to be literally Admiral Akbar or am I a space racist?

e: several dozen pages late but "Around the survivors a perimeter create!" was actually one of the only genuinely great moments in the PT

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

precision posted:

The credits say he's Ackbar and he's played by the same guy. But that doesn't mean you're not spacist.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

McDowell posted:

This is a good example - things are very fast-paced - they kept telling JJ to keep the film at X length because they get anxious about attention spans. I would love to see an extended cut.

Not me, not in theaters. I already had to get up and go to the bathroom at the same point on two viewings. (Part of that is that the second time, I arrived early and even though I went beforehand, I had an extra 40 minutes of trailers and commercials to sit through).

I think taking out most of the First Order are literally galaxy-threatening Nazis poo poo and making it a more personal adventure would have been better. There's no great galactic threat in Empire and it's the best of the films. If you have to have a "space battle" on the enemy planet, then make it the First Order's hidden base and that's reason enough to attack it without having it be another Death Star.

That's ten minutes of the film right there that you can use for breathing room and reflection and important things like establishing shots that give things a sense of scale and time.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Iron Tusk posted:

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page

So once and for all The Clone Wars cartoons are 100% canon.

Here's the wiki distillation of all the announcements they made.

Sorry, by "racist cartoons" I was referring to the prequels. I actually liked the later seasons of the Clone Wars show, which thankfully had little to do with Lucas.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

precision posted:

e: several dozen pages late but "Around the survivors a perimeter create!" was actually one of the only genuinely great moments in the PT

Mods, request a name change from precision to Ashley.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jyppe posted:

Maybe I'm just too used to the old "black guy dies" trope but I thought most of Finn's fights were pretty tense. The monster breakout on Han's freighter was really the only time that the stakes felt unconvincing for him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The lightsaber fight was really tense for me. But less so because I was worried, and more so because of all the emotions rising up from it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Saw it last night. Pretty sure i didn't blink until that scene... and then didn't again until the very end.

Things i loved.

Almost everything

Things i hated.

Not sure if it was the 3d but Luke's lightsaber looked like a Pringles can, it was loving huge.

Vibing on Darth Snape's whole deal, but i see being a whiney little bitch didn't skip a generation.

I'm calling it now Rey being Lukes kid... Left on a Sand planet like father and grandfather before.... that's why she got the memories.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Rocksicles posted:

Saw it last night. Pretty sure i didn't blink until that scene... and then didn't again until the very end.

Things i loved.

Almost everything

Things i hated.

Not sure if it was the 3d but Luke's lightsaber looked like a Pringles can, it was loving huge.

Vibing on Darth Snape's whole deal, but i see being a whiney little bitch didn't skip a generation.

I'm calling it now Rey being Lukes kid... Left on a Sand planet like father and grandfather before.... that's why she got the memories.

off topic, but you know The Flash (your avatar) and Flash Gordon (your title) aren't related, right??

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Saw this article from pre-release: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-Wars-Episode-8-Definitely-Bring-Back-One-Classic-Cast-Member-83017.html

Could it be that the last section where they find Luke was literally tacked on at the last minute due to what Rian Johnson wants? i.e. don't make Episode 8 about finding Luke - find him first and go from there?

Looking at leaked information/speculation it feels like quite a bit ended up being changed/removed in this.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

off topic, but you know The Flash (your avatar) and Flash Gordon (your title) aren't related, right??

Gonna take a wild guess and say :thejoke: (at least I hope it is, because I liked it)

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Boogaleeboo posted:

She was and is a leader. That was always going to be her life. Is it a bit sadder for the loss of a child and husband? Sure, but war was never going to pleasant and things weren't going to be instantly fine because they axed one evil old man and his equally evil and slightly less old sidekick.

Your post is a fine response. I think it's right here in the above where we disagree. Leia may always be a leader, but I don't think war has to be her or the rest of the main characters' lot in life, which TFA implies. And while I'm sure the war with the Empire didn't end instantly with the battle of Endor, it takes quite an effort for me to view the end of the OT and not see "The war ended, peace reigned. The End." It's an unrealistic fairy tale ending, but I always took Star Wars for a fairy tale. (I also think there's value in a work that says at some point the journey is over and that things end).

Boogaleeboo posted:

And yeah, none of these movies had to be made. You could have just stopped and pretended everyone was happy and they all had great lives [Although the EU books are evidently even worse for poor Han and Leia, where they lose one son young and they have two others that go evil or some poo poo], and let that be that. Or you could say gently caress it and let a new generation of kids have their own Star Wars adventures that pay respect to what came before but also do their own thing. I like the second thing.

Honestly, I really do prefer the first thing (minus the EU poo poo apparently), since I think Star Wars has said everything it needs to say (and I think is timeless enough not to "belong" to a particular generation). But you can do both. It would just involve not calling the new Star Wars adventures "Star Wars".

lizardman fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 23, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Wank posted:

Could it be that the last section where they find Luke was literally tacked on at the last minute due to what Rian Johnson wants? i.e. don't make Episode 8 about finding Luke - find him first and go from there?

If that's true, I'm super encouraged for episode VIII. It shows they're allowing a pretty impressive amount of control and autonomy for their writer/director.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Rey's theme is a really good song. Don't know why the sound track gets such hate.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

My random pet theory:

1) Based on the symbolism and the unknown parents issue, I'd say Rey is Luke's daughter.

2) The mystery reason that Luke is chilling out by himself is that he is angry as gently caress about all his students being killed and his nephew turning to the dark side and betraying him. He knows that if he confronts Snoke and Kylo he's likely to turn dark.

3) Luke will turn to the darkside in ep8, and the two above points will come together to serve up the perfect opportunity to redo the climactic "I am your father" scene from Empire for which the scene in Ep7 was just a disguise.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Samara posted:

Rey's theme is a really good song. Don't know why the sound track gets such hate.

It really is - it has a whole lot of potential for future development, too. In fact, the whole soundtrack is beautifully written and orchestrated. Having the themes be more subtle and in the background is more of a result of where Williams' style has gone in the past 15-20 years and less of the "not as good as he used to be" sentiment I've seen thrown around. If you listen, you can find plenty of the thematic writing that's true to Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

lizardman posted:

since I think Star Wars has said everything it needs to say (and I think is timeless enough not to "belong" to a particular generation).

There's one last story to tell in the traditional epic: What you bring back with you from the journey, what you pass on to others. We end the original trilogy just as they've kicked rear end and danced with some loving teddy bears, but that's not really an ending. Sure you can say "Well they dealt with their dad and the Emperor and blew up another Death Star, they should be good now!". And that's fine, and valid. It's not really anything that holds up to scrutiny, but it doesn't have to. It's a space opera. Conversely, it doesn't have to be the end. It's the ending of their lives as people, but Awakens deals with them as the myths and legends of a new generation. I mean it is literally about a new generation facing the story of Star Wars and how it inspires them. Ben is a fanboy for Vader, Rey idolizes the rebellion [She even made herself a little rebel pilot doll], even Finn the brainwashed Storm Trooper knows who these people are. Imagine that. Their story is so great that even the guy kept in an ideological bubble to be made into the perfect murder machine knows it. That's the foundation of this new trilogy, what the legacy of the old cast is and what their actions mean for the galaxy. And it might not be what you would have expected from the original films. Han in this is still a smuggler, but he's not the same exact guy he was. He's got a lot more heart. People have criticized that he died just to have an old mentor figure die off like ANH, but stop and consider that for a minute. Han Solo was the supportive mentor figure in this movie. And it felt totally organic and true to who he was. And that is the last thing he offers to the next generation. Support and guidance. Even dying, showing his son he loves him. That's a pretty nice send off for the character, and that's some real character growth.

And I think that's a perfectly fine sequel to see for the guy we know from the original trilogy, and I'm glad they told it.

• Locked thread