Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Seems to be the cool way to go nowadays:

E: That's what I call a cleavage :v:

The hell is that from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

The hell is that from?

Not sure but it kinda looks like the kind of shenanigans a patient of Hannibal would be up to.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yes. it's from Hannibal.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Solice Kirsk posted:

The hell is that from?

First or second episode of Hannibal.

e:fb

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

That's what you get for trying to be profound and dramatic, Ash.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
HELL. YES. This is the Ash vs. Evil Dead show that I have wanted all along. Personally, I would rate this one the highest , if, for nothing else, keeping to the true Evil Dead spirit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Command Ant posted:

That's what you get for trying to be profound and dramatic, Ash.

He's gonna be infested with all kinds of parasites picking that up.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The shot of the cabin all bathed in sunset and Ash standing in front of it was one of the best scenes they've done.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Solice Kirsk posted:

The shot of the cabin all bathed in sunset and Ash standing in front of it was one of the best scenes they've done.

At times this really does feel like a western rather than a horror comedy.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Dammit, they better find some way to bring Amanda back and have her be ok. I was totally not ready for that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Dark Project posted:

Dammit, they better find some way to bring Amanda back and have her be ok. I was totally not ready for that.

Ash attaches her hand to his wrist and calls it a day.

"Well, it's pretty much what I was hoping for anyway."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deakul posted:

I think 2 seasons is all this show probably needs, I'm not really sure how they can stretch it out.

Make the second season a full 24 episodes or something.

They've got lots of ways to stretch it out if they play with the formula. The most obvious being time travel. The less obvious being horror-movie crossovers, something I wouldn't have thought possible years ago but might actually happen in a setting like this (since the star power of the big icons aren't all that hot anymore).

The Dark Project posted:

I did pull a "HOLY poo poo." I was like "Maybe they'll say she survived somehow, but that wound looks pretty fatal..." then bam, antler gut.

Require More Fire posted:

As shocked as I am that Amanda is killed, I'll be even more shocked if she's not brought back in some form or another before the season is done, and I don't meant as a Deadite to get killed again.

Calling it now: Ruby offers to use the book of the dead to bring her back, and she comes back totally loving psycho.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 22, 2015

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The Dark Project posted:

Welcome to The Evil Dead.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I liked Amanda, but I thought the shift to flirting with Ash felt really forced.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Slamhound posted:

I liked Amanda, but I thought the shift to flirting with Ash felt really forced.

Her obsessive "I gotta arrest Ash at any cost" for the first six episodes felt really forced. She's probably just not a very good actress.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Doltos posted:

Her obsessive "I gotta arrest Ash at any cost" for the first six episodes felt really forced. She's probably just not a very good actress.

I think she might have actually been too good of an actor. She seemed to be giving weight and reality to the material when everyone else is hamming it up. If you just look at her part of the story, you can see why, too. Partner killed in front of her, having to kill his possessed corpse, blamed for the death, trying to hunt down his real killer. It reads like a serious arc. I'd blame that more on directing and writing not keeping things consistent than the actor. Once she was actually acting against Bruce, she loosened up immediately as she was brought more into the tone of the rest of the show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Doltos posted:

She was a distraction from pablo and kelly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Practical Demon posted:

I think she might have actually been too good of an actor. She seemed to be giving weight and reality to the material when everyone else is hamming it up. If you just look at her part of the story, you can see why, too. Partner killed in front of her, having to kill his possessed corpse, blamed for the death, trying to hunt down his real killer. It reads like a serious arc. I'd blame that more on directing and writing not keeping things consistent than the actor. Once she was actually acting against Bruce, she loosened up immediately as she was brought more into the tone of the rest of the show.

Yeah, I think it was just a writing mistake. She was this totally different character running a different kind of story. She was basically the protagonist in a serious horror film while this campy horror movie was happening around her.

I was surprised to see her die but not necessarily upset. The character was so out of tune and the shift once she joined Ash's crew so jarring that I never really took to her. Given time she probably would have fit in but it just didn't work the way they did it.

Although I have no problem with her hunting after Ash. That made enough sense if you look at it from her perspective. But it also essentially made her an antagonist to the goofy, rear end in a top hat protagonist everyone loves. Even if he did actually cause all this poo poo.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 23, 2015

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah, her falling for Ash so quickly irked me as well. But seeing her get murdered like that...

And I was about to recommend this series to my black female friends as well!

Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011
It would have been best if both cops died in their first scene. She brings nothing to the show which is otherwise excellent.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always just thought it as the cabin loving with Ash.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Turtlicious posted:

I always just thought it as the cabin loving with Ash.

I did too.

Then I realized she was doomed the moment they kissed.

Even if she is dead, those are the kind of ghosts (or Deadites) that never leave Ash. He's constantly, well, haunted by them doesn't seem to be the proper term, but they still linger.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Practical Demon posted:

I think she might have actually been too good of an actor.

No, she was just not a good actor. She was very wooden and delivered flat lines.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

The Dark Project posted:

Yeah, her falling for Ash so quickly irked me as well. But seeing her get murdered like that...

And I was about to recommend this series to my black female friends as well!

"Hey you're black, this show has a black in it"

PicklePants posted:

I did too.

Then I realized she was doomed the moment they kissed.

Even if she is dead, those are the kind of ghosts (or Deadites) that never leave Ash. He's constantly, well, haunted by them doesn't seem to be the proper term, but they still linger.

In the first Evil Dead it was most definitely the cabin/necronomicon loving with Ash. Evil Dead 2 was more of the deadites themselves and then Army of Darkness only like two out of the 10 or so recognizable characters died, and that was more of the deadites loving with Ash again.

The Cabin is just a super haunted place full of deadites from the first two movies now. The main bad guy is Evil which I've always believed is just a loose grouping of demons from Hell trying to escape into the world through the necronomicon. Evil hates Ash so it just fucks with him as much as possible which means yeah, she was doomed the moment they kissed/met pretty much. So is Pablo and Ashley probably, unless Pablo turns into the next Ash.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

No, she was just not a good actor. She was very wooden and delivered flat lines.

She didn't strike me as being a bad actress so much as her character was sort of out of place and inconsistent. One week she was being Ash's Zenigata and the next she's trying to get him to fire off his boom stick in her haunted cabin.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think the main reason why Evil hasn't killed Ash yet is that he continually fucks up, letting more evil into the world.

The moment he becomes a credible threat to shutting the whole thing down, I think Evil will really try to kill him.

Right now, it's just stringing him along, screwing with him enough that he makes poor choices.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The answer to all these questions is simple and elegant

The Evil Is A Dick

Why did it pretend that Ash burning the book in the first movie defeated it? Because AHAHAHA gently caress that guy. Give him hope yank it away.

Why did it yo yo with Ash as far as possessing him went? Ahahahaha gently caress that guy.

The only time the Evil was being in any way sincere was at the end of Evil Dead 2 when it was proclaiming its victory, with an Evil Ash head for note!, and then Ash stabbed it in the eye with a chainsaw.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Doltos posted:

"Hey you're black, this show has a black in it"

Hey, congrats on reading something into what I said without knowing the context! That kind of knee-jerk diagnosis will serve you well in life!

Why I wanted to recommend this show is that I interact with a lot of black women who date interracially who like to see on screen relationships between black women and non-black men. Since these occur so rarely on screen, I was hoping this might be a show I could recommend, but the last episode kind of scotched that thought. Whilst I really do love the show, seeing Amanda being brutally murdered moments after a scene where she might have started to be interested in Ash (or Bad Ash as it were) really isn't the kind of thing I would want to be promoting as an example of a cool, on-screen interracial relationship. More the opposite.

A lot of these kinds of partnerships aren't usually seen on TV, or even in movies (outside a select group of specifically made movies to this exact audience). Even shows like Sleepy Hollow, where there is a dynamic between Abby and Ichabod, remain at arms length by a kind of denial between the two main characters, which kind of drives the narrative, whilst also being frustrating to those who would like to see more relationships like this on tv.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Calm down youngblood

Burkion posted:

The answer to all these questions is simple and elegant

The Evil Is A Dick

Why did it pretend that Ash burning the book in the first movie defeated it? Because AHAHAHA gently caress that guy. Give him hope yank it away.

Why did it yo yo with Ash as far as possessing him went? Ahahahaha gently caress that guy.

The only time the Evil was being in any way sincere was at the end of Evil Dead 2 when it was proclaiming its victory, with an Evil Ash head for note!, and then Ash stabbed it in the eye with a chainsaw.

Yeah the worst thing you can do entering this series is to think that this story is serious at all. The Evil Dead came out in the early 80s and was a b-movie gore flick that we all loved for obvious reasons. It had a tongue-in-cheek story with a ton of gruesome but cool shots and crappy physical acting (like whenever a shelf fell on Ash). Evil Dead 2 came out and was a bit more slapstick and comedic because they realized Ash as a character more. Then Army of Darkness threw it all to the wind and was full on Ash adventure mode.

That's another reason this series is so great. The way Ash acts now makes perfect sense for who he was in The Evil Dead. They were all "attractive teenagers/20 somethings" in a cabin stereotype so that's why Ash is all machismo and honestly thinks he can pay a tab at a restaurant by banging a waitress in a bathroom. It's because he probably did that a few times before the events of The Evil Dead. Now he's all cocky and sure of himself because he got that attitude in The Evil Dead 2. And nothing really phases him because he went through all the weird wtf poo poo in Army of Darkness.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I feel like there's a 0% chance Amanda is gone. It's the "we know who you are" that lingers.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Also weird tidbit about the movies. Denise Bixler who played Ash's girlfriend in Evil Dead 2 married Steve Guttenberg shortly after the film and quit acting.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

NarkyBark posted:

I feel like there's a 0% chance Amanda is gone. It's the "we know who you are" that lingers.

That was directed at Lawless' character. I'm sure Amanda will be decapitated and have a bunch of "talking head" moments where she torments the group.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Solice Kirsk posted:

That was directed at Lawless' character. I'm sure Amanda will be decapitated and have a bunch of "talking head" moments where she torments the group.

Yeah, one of them does say that to Ruby, but IIRC somewhere in the first episode - either Ash's date who was with him when he read the book or Amanda's cop partner - one of them said the "we know you" etc. thing to Amanda when they were in deadite mode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yes, in the very first episode, right around the time she gets stabbed in the hand the deadite says 'we know who you are.'

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Evil Ash kind of explained that. He said they knew when they saw her that she would help Ash.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So... is this show not available anywhere other than Starz? I checked iTunes, which is where I watch all current shows from since I don't have cable, but it's not there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Starz, like HBO, does not sell digital copies of their shows until the blu-rays come out. You can, however, add a Starz subscription to your Amazon Prime account and the first month is free. So, you could get it, watch the whole season, and cancel before the trial is up.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Starz, like HBO, does not sell digital copies of their shows until the blu-rays come out. You can, however, add a Starz subscription to your Amazon Prime account and the first month is free. So, you could get it, watch the whole season, and cancel before the trial is up.

Yeah, I just saw this. I guess that's what I'll do.

What's the overall quality of Starz content compared to, say, HBO? Other than this particular show I mean.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, I just saw this. I guess that's what I'll do.

What's the overall quality of Starz content compared to, say, HBO? Other than this particular show I mean.
Spartacus, Outlander, Magic City, Black Sails...etc. Starz throws down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

Spartacus, Outlander, Magic City, Black Sails...etc. Starz throws down.

Party Down which is worth the subscription fee all on its own as well.

• Locked thread