Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

bonds0097 posted:

I imagine that since PvP is pretty important to the game, they need to be able to playtest the various combinations. If you could just pick any three skill lines from the 12, you'd have 220 combinations instead of 4 which would be a nightmare to playtest. And if you didn't, the playerbase would likely quickly settle upon a particularly unbalanced/optimal combination that makes PvP unfun for anyone not using it.

This would imply that they playtest anything in the first place.

See: the entire Imperial City update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

tgidieday posted:

Normally you don't pick the best builds when you're saying "look at this crazy crap!"

that is a good point
i suppose the only truly zany builds would be if you use lots of guild skills like the undaunted spider web thing and weird gear like that armour set that makes soul trap do more damage. and you would probably find that it sucks

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Speaking of weird set bonuses the Night's Silence set is great for stealth focused NB's wanting to speed run sky shards and other similar things. I just nailed almost every shard in west Cyrodiil in forty-five minutes by abusing it's 5 piece bonus. Which removes the movement speed penalty you have while stealthed.

All I had to do was drink a magicka regen food item and I could spam the NB invisibility skill when needed to skip all the mobs and assassinate any bosses in the delve. It was hilarious. Doubly so when I realized you don't need to keep the set equipped to keep the movement speed bonus while stealthed. Even better is that you can get a full set bonus as early as the first zone due to the low research requirements to make it. Which makes a NB alt a hell of a lot easier to get started on. :getin:

Also, what's the deal with the Imperial City? Is the entirety of the open world content supposed to be group content? That seems a bit counter-intuitive for what was supposed to be their first big DLC pack. Though I guess if it is like that Orsinium makes up for it. It's got that open world feel Skyrim has.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 19, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

IC is a big miss because players get their damage/healing/shielding cut in half while PvE mobs deal full damage, heal at 100% speed/strength, and basically have the same stats as anywhere in a non-PvP area.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Scyantific posted:

IC is a big miss because players get their damage/healing/shielding cut in half while PvE mobs deal full damage, heal at 100% speed/strength, and basically have the same stats as anywhere in a non-PvP area.

For me, it missed because they took something only marginally fun (endgame loot grind walled behind glorified public dungeon) and then set it up so that other players only reduce that fun. If an enemy shows up, you have to stop grinding for a minute to get almost no AP. If a friendly shows up, you lose 33% of your gains with no upside. I mean, it just needs something, anything, where you're glad to see another player. Like some phoned-in capture the flag where you steal Molag's Bals.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Except that WAS the original idea behind Imperial City. Access would be restricted via both Keep holdings and District control objectives. Hell they could have even added a TV/AP bonus for each district your faction controlled which would have incentivized objective play instead of straight up Deathmatch in da District mode like it is now.

Instead we got a bunch of loving casual whiny babies crying about "I PAID FOR MAH DLC I WANT ACCESS TO IT ALL NOW!" and ended up with this watered down mess that is bad at both PvP and PvE.

Sometimes I wish the required subscription and PC exclusivity was still a thing because at least then we'd have a slightly (and that's giving Zenimax 150% more credit than they deserve) more competent design and development team. But gotta cash in on the console craze I guess.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

I'm just returning since launch since I got burnt out on the old vr grind. I have a orc dk at vr4 - apparently orcs aren't that great racially for dk dps, so I think I made a bad decision. I see there's no race change option in the store, so is it dumb to reroll or just try another racial/class to be optimal?

polio king fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 20, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

snocked posted:

I'm just returning since launch since I got burnt out on the old vr grind. I have a orc dk at vr4 - apparently orcs aren't that great racially for dk, so I think I made a bad decision. I see there's no race change option in the store, so is it dumb to reroll or just try another racial/class to be optimal?

Orcs are actually decent for stamina DK since they got their racials shuffled around a bit. Alternatively, purchase the Explorer pack and roll redguard stamina sorcerer and join us over in EP

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Also, orc is a great choice for DK tanks. So if you don't mind running stamina through v16, you'll have a good tank and a couple hundred champion points to give to your alts.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

tgidieday posted:

Also, orc is a great choice for DK tanks. So if you don't mind running stamina through v16, you'll have a good tank and a couple hundred champion points to give to your alts.

Yeah I'd definitely get the orc to max before getting rerollitis. Go ahead and make a second toon and start training the horse though so he's not slow as poo poo when you do get around to playing him. But yeah you'll get a ton of champion points since you have all that enlightenment saved up, so give ole orc a second chance.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

I'm EP if you could shoot an invite to @lskindred7. I'll give this orc a shot and re-familiarize myself with the game

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I usually hate pugging for dungeons like Veteran Crypt of Hearts, Veteran City of Ash, and Veteran Darkshade Caverns because some pugs can be absolute idiots. But sometimes you get a group that knows what's up and suddenly you're murdering your way through the entire dungeon without missing a beat, and to top it off, you end up getting some good loot out of it.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Currently my favorite char is an Argonian Templar. Basically you couldn't do worse for taking advantage of passive stats, unless maybe he was a DK. For me the truth of the matter is that I am not a good enough player that it really makes a difference. I will have a new PC in the next weeks finally removing all lame excuses I might have maintained for me being bad and allowing me to see what the game actually looks like. I hope I like it. I will no longer be able to pretend it is circa 1990’s Everquest. I am working on some good remotely legitimate complaints about my ping. I am going to need a new lexicon of excuses, often the biggest challenge for me with a game.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 20, 2015

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Throw a "anyone else lagging" in chat after the first pack of mobs in a dungeon. Other cool people (SUCH AS MYSELF) will recognize the code and back you up. Maybe even throw in a little flavor like "lol really zos". It's like hobo code, but for bad video game people.

@Overchromed

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Sogol posted:

Argonian

Templars have more good skills than room and a decent emergency heal already (if you're magicka), so slamming potions to get degeneration off your bar kinda counts as using your racial passives. Also, if you re-wrote amphibious as "Magicka Flood: Every 45 seconds restore 3200 magicka," Argonian would quickly become flavor of the month.

Rough Lobster posted:

"anyone else lagging"

:aaaaa:

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Yes my cunning plan is that Po Tassium D'cay https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argon will be my alchemist-potion-junkie and self healing tankish guy attempting to use only Templar skills.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Probably a dumb question. I hit level 20 so decided to check out PVP- I keep getting rooted, and the game tels me to make a roll attack to get out of it, but when I double tap any of the direction keys nothing happens. What gives?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Arven posted:

Probably a dumb question. I hit level 20 so decided to check out PVP- I keep getting rooted, and the game tels me to make a roll attack to get out of it, but when I double tap any of the direction keys nothing happens. What gives?

My guess is they're using agony, which seems to have a couple seconds of unavoidable stun before you can get out of it. It's also possible that you're both rooted and need to break free, and the game is only telling you one of those things. Try breaking free (both mouse buttons, or command on Mac) next time to see.

The counter to that (or any CC) is to use immovable or immovable pots at the start of battle. Also helps to get detect on those immovable pots, since if it's a nightblade using agony, odds are they will try to bolt after their opener fails.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yo ennu I think you just wasted a ton of money on Ravager sets. Next update is bumping AP gear up to V16.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Yo ennu I think you just wasted a ton of money on Ravager sets. Next update is bumping AP gear up to V16.

Once I golded a set of v12 heavy ashen grip/night's silence. Now that's waste!

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

ExCruceLeo posted:

I play on PS4. Population (non-goon) is pretty good. I just started a new character and don't have any high level guys though.

What's your character name and what server/faction are you on?

Also, if there are any PS4 players reading this, care to post your info so I can see about joining any of you? I'm essentially new, and need some actual people to play with so that I can have my attention held. Thanks!

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

If someone could toss @Vgorilla3774 an invite to the EP guild on PC, that would be great. Dipping my toes back into the game and I need the dulcet tones of goonchat.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

If someone could toss @Vgorilla3774 an invite to the EP guild on PC, that would be great. Dipping my toes back into the game and I need the dulcet tones of goonchat.

Invite sent. Also sent you one from the wrong tab because I'm an idiot.

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

Wasn't sneaking. Stupid fat hobbits.
I installed ESO at a friend's request about a year ago and never got much farther than the tutorial. I don't think I gave it a fair shot, because I just rerolled in the AD faction and I love the poo poo out of this game. That was a few weeks ago, though, and I really wish I had someone around to tell me that I should be visiting the riding trainer daily... is there a checklist for dummies not in/around the OP?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Sneaking posted:

I installed ESO at a friend's request about a year ago and never got much farther than the tutorial. I don't think I gave it a fair shot, because I just rerolled in the AD faction and I love the poo poo out of this game. That was a few weeks ago, though, and I really wish I had someone around to tell me that I should be visiting the riding trainer daily... is there a checklist for dummies not in/around the OP?

Reposting this from earlier in the thread. Also, if you're on PC NA, join the guild!

This has a lot of good stuff: http://tamrielfoundry.com/2015/06/veteran-wisdom-new-players/.

Get all of your skills to the morph to see what they do, it's not always obvious from the base skill. It's easiest to level skills while questing, don't wait until endgame to start. You can level whatever you want by putting it on the bar, even if it's for the wrong weapon.

Decon everything on your first character (especially glyphs) so you can craft for your level. Refine raw materials and do writs for gold tempers. Save your Cadwell's Gold money for your endgame gear.

And you can right-click anybody in your guild or party and travel to them for free on PC, hopefully that's in the console version as well.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
My brother said he picked this up for his PS4, I dunno if he's fired it up yet, but I'll see him over Xmas.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

3D GAY WORLD posted:

What's your character name and what server/faction are you on?

Also, if there are any PS4 players reading this, care to post your info so I can see about joining any of you? I'm essentially new, and need some actual people to play with so that I can have my attention held. Thanks!

PSN is ExCruceLeo. Not sure if you can see/use character names but it's Fiddler. It's on AD.

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

Wasn't sneaking. Stupid fat hobbits.

tgidieday posted:

Reposting this from earlier in the thread. Also, if you're on PC NA, join the guild!

This has a lot of good stuff: http://tamrielfoundry.com/2015/06/veteran-wisdom-new-players/.

Get all of your skills to the morph to see what they do, it's not always obvious from the base skill. It's easiest to level skills while questing, don't wait until endgame to start. You can level whatever you want by putting it on the bar, even if it's for the wrong weapon.

Decon everything on your first character (especially glyphs) so you can craft for your level. Refine raw materials and do writs for gold tempers. Save your Cadwell's Gold money for your endgame gear.

And you can right-click anybody in your guild or party and travel to them for free on PC, hopefully that's in the console version as well.

:)

There's a lot of words in that I don't understand, so I'm going to go do some reading. Thanks!

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
How's this game for occasional solo PvE-ing? I've been eyeing ESO and kinda want an Elder Scrolls 5.5 game since I'm pretty much done with Skyrim. Are quests interesting or just bear-rear end hauling? I'm not interested in raiding or PvP or anything requiring commitment.

The environments look very pretty, I like that.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Trogdos! posted:

How's this game for occasional solo PvE-ing? I've been eyeing ESO and kinda want an Elder Scrolls 5.5 game since I'm pretty much done with Skyrim. Are quests interesting or just bear-rear end hauling? I'm not interested in raiding or PvP or anything requiring commitment.

Half bear-assing, half actually competently written.

Game's just as good for running around just exploring. Also raiding in here is fun (ask us about 4-DPS dungeon butcher runs)

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Mercurius posted:

It's fun as all hell and you use a greatsword and charge things and heal yourself and run around a lot. It plays far more like the traditional archetype of a warrior and you can pretty much forget that your class is called 'sorcerer'. The main thing is that as you get skills up to the point where you can morph them, they pretty much always have a magicka and stamina variant so you can use skills from whatever in any type of build.

Anyway, Ennuid's build and guide was handy so I saved a link to it:

Thanks for that, I tried one last night and its fun as hell. Doing the ranged bolt then immediately charging kills pretty much anything in hilarious fashion.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Trogdos! posted:

It's pretty awesome. Orsinium in particular is basically Skyrim lite. Only instead of a free roam environment with gruff rear end in a top hat Nords you have gruff rear end in a top hat Orcs.

The game's surprisingly competently written if you're a spergy lore nerd and bother to talk to minor NPC's. The main NPC's in quests are usually vanilla as hell. All the neat stuff is hidden behind conversations you'll miss if you just blow through towns and the world without exploring it. At one point I had a Bosmer cooking vendor crack a joke about the race's cannibalism habit for instance. :stare:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 23, 2015

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

If you're really into TES lore ESO is worth at least playing through the main storylines as it is pretty full of new details of the areas not as well fleshed out in the single player games. There's also a lot more "weird" in it, especially different religious stuff, than Oblivion and Skyrim had.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-h6XkEOFQc

Ladies and Gentlemen, your "MMO of the Year"

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB2sJxe_Ows :bravo:

FYI Orsinium is boring as gently caress. I only go there to murder World Bosses (usually solo) and haven't even bothered to finish the main story because it's that painful of a slog.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 23, 2015

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Can I get a guild invite ? @mikhalio

I know I'm going to regret this but whatever, its xmas. I can work it off in new year.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
So my understanding is that if I don't have the DLC and I go to the pvp zone I can't follow people into the special imperial city pvp area, is that true?

Are there less people in RvR now that this DLC is out?

Also did they seriously try to give away a million dollars then lay off a bunch of their staff
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/21/bethesda-confirms-job-losses-at-elder-scrolls-online-developer

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

So my understanding is that if I don't have the DLC and I go to the pvp zone I can't follow people into the special imperial city pvp area, is that true?

Are there less people in RvR now that this DLC is out?

Also did they seriously try to give away a million dollars then lay off a bunch of their staff
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/21/bethesda-confirms-job-losses-at-elder-scrolls-online-developer

Yeah, if you don't have the DLC you can't follow people in.

As for the lack of people, it's been a combo of bad decision making, getting burnt out on old stagnant content, and lack of bug fixes.

so pretty much :zenimax:

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
So you guys are saying this would be a bad time to come back

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
Edit: browsers suck sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Bishop01 posted:

So you guys are saying this would be a bad time to come back

No, he's saying nobody plays PvP anymore. But nobody ever played PvP, so it's not that different. Come back and kill monsters, you'll have fun.

Aramek posted:

My brother said he picked this up for his PS4, I dunno if he's fired it up yet, but I'll see him over Xmas.

e: Same goes for you.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 23, 2015

• Locked thread