Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ren's lightsaber is loving mental, his fighting style suits it perfectly.

I really enjoyed Oscar Isaacs whole WW2 fighter ace, secret agent, football coach, camp counselor, BFF thing. He's just so drat likeable... "You're a stormtrooper that wants to be free, well alright man, hey, we can be best friends here's a name... let's do this!"

Also, who designs the bridges for the First Order.... because they are having a bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I figured Poe didn't ask too many questions because like, what the gently caress is the downside? Are they going to torture him DOUBLE for trying to escape? Kylo Ren gonna cut him up into SMALLER chunks? If this guy's loving with him, he's equally dead; but if he isn't...

As for Rey I didn't think she was any kind of super special snowflake. The scene where she mind-tricks Daniel Craig came off as "I can't do anything else here, really." I do think it suggests she may get tempted by the dark side in a way; a comparable scene was when Luke reaches out for his saber while hanging upside down in the cave, because again: What the hell else is he going to do?

I do wonder why the Falcon was in such good condition, though. Was Fatso McGee using it as a house? That would make some sense actually.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Millennium Falcon is sentient, an agent of the Force, and was there to watch over her.

Ozkar
Nov 19, 2015

AndyElusive posted:

Screen Junkies has their spoiler-filled review up for anybody who's interested or cares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyQRp_1PjbU

Would have been a fabulous vid review if Max Landis wasn't whining like a bitch every 3 minutes. Listening to him explain that Force Awakens had too many of the old/original spaceships was like nails on a chalkboard considering he is the guy that managed to rip-off the plot for all the Jason Bourne movies and present an even smellier poopoo platter ala American Ultra.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It is odd that a Stormtrooper indoctrinated against the Rebellion would refer to Han Solo as " the war hero".

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Also odd that he would defect and blow up their base.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

It is odd that a Stormtrooper indoctrinated against the Rebellion would refer to Han Solo as " the war hero".

But there were heroes on both sides!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hollismason posted:

The guy has no love for the First Order, for whatever reason he's not going with the brainwashy flow like everybody else that we know of. I don't think it's that odd, but I see what you mean, in that he wouldn't be hearing the same kind of watercooler talk as a normal republic citizen. Maybe he was rolling his eyes during the Han Solo is a jerk part of history class.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Maybe they have co-opted the rebellion's story as part of their own history.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

Reading the nitpicks is entertaining. I thought every part of the movie was self-consistent. Even when she learned how to force persuade the stormtrooper. Like, she went through an intense mindtrip when she touched Luke's lightsaber. Who's to say she didn't trip out when Kylo started squeezing through the mashed potatoes of her mind? I wonder if granddaddy Ani subconsciously gave her some force lessons when she was under duress?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

It really is - it has a whole lot of potential for future development, too. In fact, the whole soundtrack is beautifully written and orchestrated. Having the themes be more subtle and in the background is more of a result of where Williams' style has gone in the past 15-20 years and less of the "not as good as he used to be" sentiment I've seen thrown around. If you listen, you can find plenty of the thematic writing that's true to Star Wars.

Exactly. It's high up there on my personal Williams list

\/ a female Jedi hero and 2 gay sidekicks, you mean. (They won't have the balls to follow through on this, but it would be p awesome)

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 23, 2015

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Having a female Jedi hero protagonist is so cool. I'm excited for the next movie.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Isn't Han Solo himself an Imperial defector? He left the Empire when he rescued Chewie from slavery.

Unless that's been put on the Legacy shelf.

Ozkar posted:

Would have been a fabulous vid review if Max Landis wasn't whining like a bitch every 3 minutes. Listening to him explain that Force Awakens had too many of the old/original spaceships was like nails on a chalkboard considering he is the guy that managed to rip-off the plot for all the Jason Bourne movies and present an even smellier poopoo platter ala American Ultra.

I dunno, he seemed to love TFA. He rattled off like 15 things he liked about it when asked to name one thing he liked.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Solo wasn't wearing his stripes in tfa.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ozkar posted:

Isn't Max Landis that ex goon, shitbag, youtube, hipster, douche?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Han Solo does have some sort of a Imperial Officer Jacket on in the film.

Imperial Officer

Sorry have to keep looking, but I noticed it in the actual film but can't get a screencap. No I'm not confusing it with bars.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
So my wife and I were at Barnes & Noble and we walked into the whole Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Comic Book/RPG Book section and happened upon a conversation between an employee and a Star Wars "fan." I will attempt to recount their conversation to the best of my ability.

Fan: "I wonder if this is any good. I was worried when it wasn't released before the movie." while holding Star Wars: Aftermath.

Employee: "Well, Disney wouldn't let us sell any of the books before the movie was released."

Fan: "Do you know if any of these have any extra details that the movie left out?" motioning to the various Star Wars: TFA books and visual guides.

Employee: "I don't think any of these are for the hardcore fans, really."

Fan "You mean they don't fill in any of the massive plot holes?"

Employee: "Or make up for how horrible it was?"

Fan: "Or how all our favorite characters futures are horrible and how everything they did was for nothing?"

Fan: "I want to find the creator's personal email addresses so I can write them and tell them everything I thought about it."

Employee: "Well, you'll have to email Disney since they own it now..."

Fan: "No. I want to email JJ Abrams and tell him everything he did wrong."

Then they both walked off to some other section at some point. I hope they get married and make babies that also hate Star Wars.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rocksicles posted:

Isn't Max Landis that ex goon, shitbag, youtube, hipster, douche?

Also former child star and son of director John Landis.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

team overhead smash posted:

3) Luke will turn to the darkside in ep8, and the two above points will come together to serve up the perfect opportunity to redo the climactic "I am your father" scene from Empire for which the scene in Ep7 was just a disguise.

Luke won't turn to the dark side, it doesn't make any sense from a narrative standpoint. His story is already told and he made his big choice in ROTJ. Negating his whole story and character with such a story wouldn't make any sense and doesn't really serve any purpose. His "struggle" will be how to deal with his legacy. I expect a redemption arc for Ren and the opposite for Rey and Luke will be in the middle of that. His choice won't be between dark and light side, it will again be about family (and friends).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

IMHO Lukes struggle will be reconciling the fact that the Jedi are poo poo and historically have been so.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm more curious about how Kylo Ren became Kylo Ren and why. That to me is more interesting. He also seems to be under the impression that Darth Vader did not turn back to the light ,but I can't imagine Luke not telling Leia that happened.

Like surely at some point they told him about Darth Vader and how turned away from the dark side.

So it's more interesting to find out why he turned out the way he did.

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
Question: I've only seen the movie once so I forgot.

Why does Han take Rey and Finn to Maz's castle, where she finds the lightsaber? Did Han know that Maz would be important to Rey and all Force-y and stuff, or is it a coincidence?

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
They go there to find a ship that the Empire isn't tracking to take them to the Resistance Base. Maz is a thousand year old pirate/barkeep and has all kinds of trophies and stuff stashed around (try to catch some of the flags hanging outside her place). It's possible Han knew what he was doing re: Rey and the Lightsaber, but it's also possible it was a coincidence, because Maz was one of the few people in the galaxy not pissed off with Solo.

Edit, no, wait, I don't think it was because she took Han and Chewie and Finn back downstairs and tells them "I had Luke's lightsaber".

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 23, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

euphronius posted:

IMHO Lukes struggle will be reconciling the fact that the Jedi are poo poo and historically have been so.

That gives Rei's arc a better path which is aweome. Luke was trained by Obi Wan Kenobi and Yoda, 2 of the core figures at the colapse of the Jedi order and the worst possible people to be the actual representatives of the ideals of the order. Even Luke is tired of Obi's poo poo in the OT, "Dude you lied. Oh, a certian point of view? Yeah go gently caress off im gonna talk to my dad, hes the only one actually giving it to me straight."

Hopefully his history with Vader and his complete betrayal by his own Nephew will give Luke the perspective to allow Rei to embrace the force as a whole rather than this indoctrination into a light vs dark bullshit fight.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Icon-Cat posted:

Question: I've only seen the movie once so I forgot.

Why does Han take Rey and Finn to Maz's castle, where she finds the lightsaber? Did Han know that Maz would be important to Rey and all Force-y and stuff, or is it a coincidence?

They needed to get BB-8 to the Resistance and his words was to the effect "I know someone there that can help you."

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!
Thank you. I am not sure I like the plot point of the lightsaber (which sets off so much else) conveniently being at Maz's place.

To me, that's, like, if Luke, Han and Leia had all been on the Falcon together in ESB, and instead of Dagobah, Yoda lived inside the space slug and gave Luke some helpful training; lucky break they all passed by!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Spaceman Future! posted:

allow Rei to embrace the force as a whole rather than this indoctrination into a light vs dark bullshit fight.
As long as they give her the title of "Rey: Waifu of the Force".

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Icon-Cat posted:

Thank you. I am not sure I like the plot point of the lightsaber (which sets off so much else) conveniently being at Maz's place.

To me, that's, like, if Luke, Han and Leia had all been on the Falcon together in ESB, and instead of Dagobah, Yoda lived inside the space slug and gave Luke some helpful training; lucky break they all passed by!

Yeah what an amazing coincidence that the people with the map to luke skywalker stopped off at a bar with an alien that was totally versed in skywalkers past and collected his belongings, what an amazing coincidence that han deliberately chose somone who knew all about skywalker to help with this map to skywalker.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Spaceman Future! posted:

Hopefully his history with Vader and his complete betrayal by his own Nephew will give Luke the perspective to allow Rei to embrace the force as a whole rather than this indoctrination into a light vs dark bullshit fight.

That sounds very... EU-ish.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I wonder how many abducted children were on Starkiller and died because of Rey. What kind of a female character kills kids. A liberal probably

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Landis used to post here? Did he get banned from SA too? He got banned from a couple of other places I used to hang out at about 10-12 years ago

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
**WARNING - SPECULATIVE ABYSS AHEAD**

- Ben Solo is sent to Luke's temple to train, as is established.
- Something causes him to end up killing fellow trainees (likely involving Snoke, Knights of Ren, etc.)
- He manages to kill everyone except Luke (still don't know the circumstances here), and a child who we later meet as Rey. He only hesitates to kill her, because she's just a child, showing a weakness that his grandfather lacked when he slaughtered all the kids back when he turned to the Dark Side. Ben promptly escapes, perhaps barely with his life (maybe Luke fought him?).
- Luke, after witnessing or learning of these events, hides Rey away on Jakku (probably with an old friend/ally) and goes into exile.

*during movie timeline*
- When FO officer informs Kylo Ren that they lost BB-8, he has his tantrum. When he mentions "a girl", however, Ren stops suddenly, whips around and pulls him into a choke with a knowing shout: "What girl??" (or something like that) It's possible he's thinking about the girl he couldn't kill those years past, and wants to find out if it's the same person. However, he keeps this to himself, completely. The most likely reason for this is that he feels ashamed or weak for not killing the child and doesn't want to reveal his perceived failure - especially not to Snoke or Hux.
- When assaulting Maz's castle, he goes in with his troops but clearly with the intent to find Rey, though BB-8 is the official target of the raid. Ren wants to capture Rey to find out if she is indeed the same person, and if so (in his mind) she could be the key to finding Luke's location as well. After all, she would have been the last person to see Luke before he went into exile, even if she was a child at the time. He confronts Rey, knocks her unconscious with the Force, and carries her off to return to Starkiller Base.
- Ren attempts to interrogate Rey with the Force, seeing glimpses of the island where Luke is hiding, perhaps confirming his suspicions (though for all he knows this could be knowledge from BB-8). Rey discovering that she can use the Force to fight back is the clearer indication that she could be the child he spared, and you can clearly see how this affects him (in addition to a person simply being able to stand off to him).
- In the fight in the snow, Ren tells Finn "That lightsaber belongs to ME!", clearly referencing his heritage. This could be Ren delineating himself from Rey, but he's saying it to Finn, not her, so it's a bit murky as a connection.

I'm sure there's more I could point to, but I have yet to see the film a second time. I'll probably add to this after another viewing.

E:

pixelbaron posted:

max von sydow's character is probably the friend/ally, which might explain why he's holding the data that he gives to poe in the opening. what little we know about sydow's character is that he was associated with a "church of the force" on jakku so it makes sense that she might have been dropped off there by luke and he was given the data to hold onto

A distinct possibility, and one that would give more context to Lor San Tekka's presence and connection to the Resistance.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 23, 2015

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

You can also consider that the force guided them to Maz, since in the visual guide it states she could have been a jedi but chose to go her own way.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

That sounds very... EU-ish.

bringing "balance" to the force consisted of slaughtering basically everyone, the measured and manufactured juxtapositions between normal emotional states as warring enemies rather than naturally occurring states of mind has led to the complete slaughter of one side or the other every single time. The light vs the dark is a civil war, they are both the force, no one is winning. The only way past that is for someone to finally get it into their head that the division isnt necessary and all this extremism is just getting force users killed. Luke knows that just as well as anyone at this point.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Vader is actually the hero of the entire series.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

To be honest, I don't really follow why a treasure map to Luke even existed, if no one else knew where he went and he didn't want to be found. To me that's kinda the primary plot hole of the film (rather than inconsequential science stuff like "Why doesn't time dilation happen?").

The MacGuffin gives everyone motivation, but it feels too cute and convenient. I think even a slightly more indirect approach (scraping together leads on where he might be rather than clean-cut fragments of a precise GPS route) would have worked so much better.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

To be honest, I don't really follow why a treasure map to Luke even existed, if no one else knew where he went and he didn't want to be found. To me that's kinda the primary plot hole of the film (rather than inconsequential science stuff like "Why doesn't time dilation happen?").

The MacGuffin gives everyone motivation, but it feels too cute and convenient. I think even a slightly more indirect approach (scraping together leads on where he might be rather than clean-cut fragments of a precise GPS route) would have worked so much better.

agreed, maybe use the lightsaber itself as a kicking off point, have tokens that were used and loved by luke be clues to his location to anyone sensitive enough in the force to have visions when they touch them rather than the AAA travelers guide to Jedi Island be floating around.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

zen death robot posted:

I took it as Skywalker wanted to be found by the right person at the right time, not be impossible to find.

This, or they could have used data about where he traveled before disappearing, or both.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
R2D2 having the map makes sense because he's a astro droid so Luke maybe used him to chart his course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Hollismason posted:

R2D2 having the map makes sense because he's a astro droid so Luke maybe used him to chart his course.

Also, if Luke wanted anybody to have the information to find him again, it'd probably be R2-D2.

• Locked thread