Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.

Avalinka posted:

Oh I see! I just looked at it again, it's a different part of the knitting than I thought. The m1's near the garter edge will be trickier to see the right bar of yarn to twist, and I don't know how to be more help than that. You're wanting the bar that comes out from the stitch directly under the one you just made.

Thank you Avalinka and everyone else who gave me some input on Light and up. I actually figured this out just before I read this post but it's nice to know I was doing the right thing!

RubySprinkles your post made me awh. That's such an awesome colour for that sweater and your spawn has good taste in sweaters!

Lastly new Knitty up. I like Hexidot and Cameo Flower but Ribbon candy is interesting to say the least. :catdrugs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Oh hey new Knitty, let's check it ou-

Wow uh. That's...

Yeah I have nothing nice to say here.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I like the mittens!

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Wow uh. That's...

NGL I do love it when it's standing up all by itself and it looks like a little knitted tree. But no way in hell I would wear it. I too like the mittens. The handspun sweater looks good too (I like that marled look), but too plain for Knitty.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
It's exactly what I expect out of Knitty, which is to say, a bunch of stuff I'd probably filter out if I found it on Ravelry.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Wow uh. That's...

Idea: Knit this in silver and go as a generic thug from an 80's action movie

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I do most of my knitting to create stuffed animals and characters from video games so I see that and immediately think I could make an armadillo or maybe bowser/rammus.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Idea: Knit this in silver and go as a generic thug from an 80's action movie

Or be a romanesco broccoli for halloween.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It'd make a decent pineapple pattern.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Wow uh. That's...

:stonk:

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Been working on these and would love some feedback on look and color.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

left_unattended posted:

Double posting, but:

Any tips on preventing laddering when switching from a group of knit stitches to a group of purl stitches? I'm twisting the first purl stitch after the knit since that's where I'm getting the ladder but it's not helping much. I can fiddle with the stitches to an extent if they need to be knit differently but the design needs to stay the same, if that makes sense.

Purl through the back and wrap the yarn the wrong way. I think that should stop the next row from twisting but I'd have to actually do it to make sure.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

left_unattended posted:

Double posting, but:

Any tips on preventing laddering when switching from a group of knit stitches to a group of purl stitches? I'm twisting the first purl stitch after the knit since that's where I'm getting the ladder but it's not helping much. I can fiddle with the stitches to an extent if they need to be knit differently but the design needs to stay the same, if that makes sense.

Can you describe what is happening in more detail? You shouldn't get any laddering when moving between a knit stitch and a purl stitch. K1P1 ribbing is alternating between an knit and a purl every stitch without doing anything fancy. Something's going wrong if you have to do special manipulations to stop laddering between a knit and a purl.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
When I switch from a group of knit stitches to a group of purl stitches, the first purl stitch is noticeably looser than the surrounding stitches. It's quite a common problem. I'm going to try twisting the first purl, thank you to those who suggested it.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Tin Can Knits are giving away a pattern for some accessory a day:
http://blog.tincanknits.com/

Their patterns are always nice and clear.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

Tin Can Knits are giving away a pattern for some accessory a day:
http://blog.tincanknits.com/

Their patterns are always nice and clear.

Darn you! I came to this thread to post this. You beat me to it, lol!

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Been working on these and would love some feedback on look and color.

Awesome shape. Awesome color. Generally awesome.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

My first try at intarsia and making my own color chart because, what the hell, I couldn't find a useful "R" pattern on the Internet. Also, I slightly modified the original pattern with mixed results. A genius pattern designer, I am not.

It's a gift for a practically blind person, so I don't think she'll be too judgemental about how it turned out. However, I did find that intarsia is a magical technique that may be frustrating at first but yields pretty awesome results.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Flatmate thinks I have a problem. I agree: I don't have anywhere near enough yarn. This is 95% of it, excluding nuggets and a few balls of low-end commercial. Anyone willing to prove him wrong?

This lady may just be my hero.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
That's a lot more organized than mine. Mine is just piled in a box. (not a small box, either)

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I've got a 110-quart storage bin full.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Recently bought new storage, will share when it looks better...

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I had bags and bags, but then I got a moth infestation and had to throw them all out. Be careful with keeping that much around.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
I keep mine in the giant plastic totes with lids. Someday I'll go through and figure out what is where instead of randomly spelunking for things.

Anyone else still Christmas knitting? I thought this toddler sweater would go faster, but yeah, I cast it on 2 months ago and I'm only on the 2nd sleeve now. It's mostly straight knit, too. Knitting Mojo, come back! I have to make an adult sized one in the next month or so!

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Asiina posted:

I had bags and bags, but then I got a moth infestation and had to throw them all out. Be careful with keeping that much around.

I know someone who keeps their stash in a chest freezer for this reason.

It's not me. I only keep a couple skeins around at a time.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

zamiel posted:

Anyone else still Christmas knitting? I thought this toddler sweater would go faster, but yeah, I cast it on 2 months ago and I'm only on the 2nd sleeve now. It's mostly straight knit, too. Knitting Mojo, come back! I have to make an adult sized one in the next month or so!

Just barely finished mine in time to post them off, and I only did 2 pairs of socks and a necklace. First pair took me the better part of a year because I couldn't be bothered with them. The necklace was meant to be a hat but I had less than 2 days to knit it and minimal knitting time, so I had to change. Now I just have to wait and hope they like it. I kind of hate knitting gifts for people, I'm so paranoid they won't be used.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, I have a couple of bins! I keep them in ziplocs, and the bins are watertight, so I feel pretty okay -- not to jinx myself!

No Christmas knitting this year, luckily. I'm like 95% done with a sweater for my nephew, but what's left is seaming the set-in sleeves, so I keep putting it off. Ugh.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

I have two 6 cube organizers with fabric bins full of yarns. I have cedar packets in all the bins and check them regularly.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I store my yarn in the Closet of Shame.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

zamiel posted:

I keep mine in the giant plastic totes with lids. Someday I'll go through and figure out what is where instead of randomly spelunking for things.

I'm knitting All The Romeo Mitts as gifts for people.I'm on pair number three and I'm so goddamned tired of this pattern. So very, very tired.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

So several months ago, I bought some merino wool/silk yarn, and decided that I was going to turn it into socks. So I did.

I drafted the pattern myself, and called it Basket Case. I actually started working on these in August or so, but Second Sock Syndrome hit for months.

They're warm as hell and textured for extra foot pattings.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Back in November in the SASS thread I decided I was going to knit a Lumberjack Safety Hat with neon yarn and reflective thread.

The pattern is a slightly modifier version of the Lodgepole hat on Ravelry.

I also made a little star ornament with it for my Santee.

http://i.imgur.com/XTOkoWg.png

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Back in November in the SASS thread I decided I was going to knit a Lumberjack Safety Hat with neon yarn and reflective thread.

The pattern is a slightly modifier version of the Lodgepole hat on Ravelry.

I also made a little star ornament with it for my Santee.

http://i.imgur.com/XTOkoWg.png

That is cool! I'm gonna have to get me some of that.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Oh hey, this thread is still alive! :D

I used to post here when the thread was new, but then I kinda got tired of knitting and didn't knit anything for years. But last year, knitting and particularly knitting kofter (traditional cardigans/jackets) got really trendy here in Norway, and of course I had to jump on the trend. I've never knitted anything that needed to fit anyone before, so there was a bit of a learning curve with gauge and whatnot. The first kofte I knitted (and I did knit a gauge swatch!) was big enough for two. I kept at it though, and I actually finished four kofter in 2015. :)

My first, called Retro-kofte

Lev Landlig-kofte

Nancy-kofte

Nordkapp-kofte

Now I'm knitting another Nancy in white with grey pattern, and I already have at least 3 more I want to knit after this one. :D

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

I love those so much.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
So cute! I haven't tried fair isle but I love the look of coloured yoke-plain body cardigans.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Did you steek those?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

a friendly penguin posted:

Did you steek those?

Yes, I knit them in the round and sewed down the midde with a sewing machine before I cut them open. Some say that you don't have to sew when knitting with 100 % wool, but I don't have the nerve not to. Others use the crochet steeking method, but I prefer the sewing machine, it just feels more secure to me.

Before steeking I pick up and knit the button/buttonhole edges, and after cutting I sew on a ribbon to hide the frayed edges (you can see this on the Lev Landlig). On the Nordkapp-kofte I knit an edge to sew over the cutting edge instead (like this), and I really prefer this method.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie

I posted this on Facebook and a friend thought it would make cool wings. So now I need to figure out how to split the pattern down the middle, then make a wire frame to hold them up. Because what girl doesn't need sparkly pastel fairy wings.

Pattern is "Seclusion" by Rachel Booker.

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Finally finished off some of my deepest stash - 3 years or so? Was given to me by an old boyfriend before we split, so it was shoved into a dark closet only to eventually be retrieved after multiple moves and finally turned into something pretty! I just did a 20 stitch wide double crochet scarf that I seamed together at the end to make a cowl. The handspun yarn striped up in a really fun gradient way that looks super awesome. Happy with it, and since crochet goes so fast it only took a couple of hours (started last night!). Makes me want to start spinning myself, the texture and color changes were so fun.