Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

nessin posted:

You can scan planets, but some people don't bother because it isn't a big payout unless you hit an earth-like planet.

Or a terraforming-candidate, or a metal rich planet, or a planet with live on it. But yeah, some planets aren't worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Libluini posted:

But yeah, some planets aren't worth it.

They are if you have space madness :shepface:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Lmao, holy poo poo this game has a lot of popular negative reviews on steam. I posted a tentatively positive review for the game just now and decided to see what the most helpful positive review said.
4 pages later i'm still scrolling haha

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Dongattack posted:

Lmao, holy poo poo this game has a lot of popular negative reviews on steam. I posted a tentatively positive review for the game just now and decided to see what the most helpful positive review said.
4 pages later i'm still scrolling haha

Elite is a very good game that I can easily understand why people might think it's awful.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

nessin posted:

You can scan planets, but some people don't bother because it isn't a big payout unless you hit an earth-like planet. You also have to get pretty close, usually within 25-80 for your scanner to work, whereas stars can be scanned from 1-2k away.

Yeah, but I mean, do you need to scan it for your name to be on it? Or is honking enough?

Not that I care that some random guy sees my name, just curious.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Shine posted:

Elite is a very good game that I can easily understand why people might think it's awful.
I believe the last time someone checked most of the negative reviews were posted by people who had drunk the Star Citizen kool-aid and were dunking on the perceived competition. Seems to be working out great for them :haw:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I ended up really liking it tho, in a Eurotruck 2 kinda way. But i need to research ways to cheese my way past the early economic game tomorrow, the trading mission grind is getting boring and i need a decked out Asp Explorer so i can say bye to civilization for weeks on end.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

year199X posted:

Yeah, but I mean, do you need to scan it for your name to be on it? Or is honking enough?

Just opening it up on your navigation list via the discovery scanner doesn't do anything, to get the money and get the discovered by tag you have to get up close with the detailed surface scanner.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

year199X posted:

Nope, honking just reveals the existence, to explore it you actually have to be close enough for your on-board scanners to work. You don't need a detailed surface scanner, though. That one is just for additional information and more money, your name gets vomitted all over every planet scanned, even without it.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

year199X posted:

I care and would like to know the answer to this question before I embark on my first exploration journey into the abyss.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Dongattack posted:

I ended up really liking it tho, in a Eurotruck 2 kinda way. But i need to research ways to cheese my way past the early economic game tomorrow, the trading mission grind is getting boring and i need a decked out Asp Explorer so i can say bye to civilization for weeks on end.
Come hang out with the goons that look after the Diamond Frogs around 63 G. Capricorni. You can mooch off people shooting up Resource Extraction Sites (where pirates try and steal things from miners) to get yourself into a ship capable of holding its own in combat and then kill pirates until you have enough cash for your Asp. Also, check out the Diamondback Explorer for a cheaper alternative to the Asp.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Mercurius posted:

Come hang out with the goons that look after the Diamond Frogs around 63 G. Capricorni. You can mooch off people shooting up Resource Extraction Sites (where pirates try and steal things from miners) to get yourself into a ship capable of holding its own in combat and then kill pirates until you have enough cash for your Asp. Also, check out the Diamondback Explorer for a cheaper alternative to the Asp.

Thanks! I'll look at the Diamondback. I don't like playing online games tho and i don't like the combat in Elite, but thanks for the offer!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
For those who are stuck on Fed ranks and want to grind it via donations, I just finished my Rear Admiral grind at 17 Draconis.

17 Draconis is a system ~350ly from the bubble with two Fed factions, a service economy and a whole host of problems. The main highlight is that it spawns only charity/donation missions and you'll make consistent progress up to Rear Admiral (post captain is a bit slow at 1% being around 20k credits.)

So if you want to donation rank grind feds, grab a Robigo Asp or a Trade Python head on out there, play in 1.5 (hearsay has me believe it generates more charity missions without planet stuff getting in there) and bring a few million credits for whatever rank you want. The system's port is also an actual starport so you can bring Anaconda's, Cutters etc. up there for maximum cargo giveaways.

The main reason I say to bring a Robigo Asp, Trade Python, Robigo T6 etc. is that because the system is so far out of the bubble it tends to generate pretty good Shadow Deliveries, and more importantly, normal smuggling missions back to the bubble. Trade Python with around 200 cargo could take almost any smuggling mission there and you will make more than enough money to cover your credit donations and most cargo giving you decide to do.

Speaking of Cargo Delivery, 17 Draconis wants three groups for charity: Medical supplies, Food, and Weapons. You want to take the most expensive stuff since it seems credit value is the most important when ranking up.
Here's a simple list:
For Food, the system wants pretty much everything but you want to take Animal Meat, Coffee and Tea.
For Medical Supplies, the system pretty much wants everything as well but you want to take Performance Enhancers and Progenitor Cells.
For Weapons, take Non-Lethal Weapons and Reactive Armor. That's all the station wants.

Perusing EDDB had bubbles-edge systems that can supply that stuff fairly easily so you only have to do about 200ly travel with a full hold. Although some of the supply was a mite on the low side when I did some pickups.

As of yesterday from the writing of this post, the main charity faction is in Civil War, recovering from Boom, and Pending like, 6 different states, notably Outbreak and Famine (which I'm fairly certain they recovered from during my donation streak.)
17 Draconis is pretty messed up in the BGS side of things.

Edit: Oh right I caught wind of this system via the Fast Ranking thread on the main forums so pubbies do know about it and there were a small handful of them out where while I was doing stuff. Also I forgot to mention if you're ranking up via Auxiliary, missions signals can take 5-10 minutes to show up out there so get comfy when doing your rank missions! The plus side is that I only had one case where my first weak signal didn't have what I needed in it.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 23, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

EponymousMrYar posted:

fed rank stuff

You're doing God's work.

Mercurius posted:

I believe the last time someone checked most of the negative reviews were posted by people who had drunk the Star Citizen kool-aid and were dunking on the perceived competition. Seems to be working out great for them :haw:

Here's an abyss to stare into.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I bought this game right before the 15th and my crowning list of achievements is:

- Getting owned while trying to do a pick-up mission

- Getting owned while trying to go to another system

- Getting owned while jumping into a conflict zone

- Ending up without fuel after trying to find something in surface only to learn that was in another PLANET instead

While I am definitely enjoying going around and exploring, I can't seem to do even the most basic poo poo without something bad happening (lol). I read through the OP and couldn't find some sort of basic "hey newbie these are the relevant things you should know".

( Hell, I have trouble finding my goddamned assigned landing pad in a station :downs: but at least I haven't bought Star Citizen )

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Nope, honking just reveals the existence, to explore it you actually have to be close enough for your on-board scanners to work. You don't need a detailed surface scanner, though. That one is just for additional information and more money, your name gets vomitted all over every planet scanned, even without it.

Oh jeez, I feel bad for the people bothering to scan planets 200,000LS+ away from the entry point then.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Newbie question: I found some cargo floating in space, scooped it right up, now I have 4 units of limpets marked as stolen. I found a station with a black market, but its saying I have nothing illegal to sell. What gives?

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

I swim through a sea of stars, without looking back to shore.
Faster than light, bending time.

Forever
Wherever

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Davoren posted:

Newbie question: I found some cargo floating in space, scooped it right up, now I have 4 units of limpets marked as stolen. I found a station with a black market, but its saying I have nothing illegal to sell. What gives?

You can't sell limpets through the commodities market; they are handled through the restock screen. I dunno if that screen treats stolen limpets any different, but if not then you can drop them there for like 50 big ol' smackers each.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Transmetropolitan posted:

I bought this game right before the 15th and my crowning list of achievements is:

- Getting owned

This is a pretty harsh game, it just dumps you right in the deep end of the pool and doesn't really explain itself at all. Don't feel bad about struggling to figure out what the hell is even going on and what you should do, that's just the first step of getting into the world.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Shine posted:

You can't sell limpets through the commodities market; they are handled through the restock screen. I dunno if that screen treats stolen limpets any different, but if not then you can drop them there for like 50 big ol' smackers each.

Imagine the look on that space cop's face when he realizes he interdicted and scanned you over a handful of stolen limpets.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Still not sure what a limpet is, but something tells me its definitely going to have been worth hauling four of them millions of miles!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They're tiny little drones that you can program to do all sorts of things if you have the appropriate control modules. Limpets are great.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I'm thinking I can't sell them as I don't have a controller, so they don't show up as ammo, gently caress it, I'm gonna dump em.

Edit: Oh man, salvaged 4 units of technical blueprints floating in space, sold 'em for 13k, my first "big" payday. :) This game owns bones, makes me wish I had more patience for the original back in the day.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 23, 2015

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

For those who are stuck on Fed ranks and want to grind it via donations, I just finished my Rear Admiral grind at 17 Draconis.

17 Draconis is a system ~350ly from the bubble with two Fed factions, a service economy and a whole host of problems. The main highlight is that it spawns only charity/donation missions and you'll make consistent progress up to Rear Admiral (post captain is a bit slow at 1% being around 20k credits.)

So if you want to donation rank grind feds, grab a Robigo Asp or a Trade Python head on out there, play in 1.5 (hearsay has me believe it generates more charity missions without planet stuff getting in there) and bring a few million credits for whatever rank you want. The system's port is also an actual starport so you can bring Anaconda's, Cutters etc. up there for maximum cargo giveaways.

The main reason I say to bring a Robigo Asp, Trade Python, Robigo T6 etc. is that because the system is so far out of the bubble it tends to generate pretty good Shadow Deliveries, and more importantly, normal smuggling missions back to the bubble. Trade Python with around 200 cargo could take almost any smuggling mission there and you will make more than enough money to cover your credit donations and most cargo giving you decide to do.

Speaking of Cargo Delivery, 17 Draconis wants three groups for charity: Medical supplies, Food, and Weapons. You want to take the most expensive stuff since it seems credit value is the most important when ranking up.
Here's a simple list:
For Food, the system wants pretty much everything but you want to take Animal Meat, Coffee and Tea.
For Medical Supplies, the system pretty much wants everything as well but you want to take Performance Enhancers and Progenitor Cells.
For Weapons, take Non-Lethal Weapons and Reactive Armor. That's all the station wants.

Perusing EDDB had bubbles-edge systems that can supply that stuff fairly easily so you only have to do about 200ly travel with a full hold. Although some of the supply was a mite on the low side when I did some pickups.

As of yesterday from the writing of this post, the main charity faction is in Civil War, recovering from Boom, and Pending like, 6 different states, notably Outbreak and Famine (which I'm fairly certain they recovered from during my donation streak.)

Edit: Oh right I caught wind of this system via the Fast Ranking thread on the main forums so pubbies do know about it and there were a small handful of them out where while I was doing stuff. Also I forgot to mention if you're ranking up via Auxiliary, missions signals can take 5-10 minutes to show up out there so get comfy when doing your rank missions! The plus side is that I only had one case where my first weak signal didn't have what I needed in it.

A good post

Transmetropolitan posted:

( Hell, I have trouble finding my goddamned assigned landing pad in a station :downs: but at least I haven't bought Star Citizen )

I still do this. Especially on outposts where the pad is not in an obvious place.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Is it just me or are Federal Dropships in RES's like insanely difficult to kill?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is it just me or are Federal Dropships in RES's like insanely difficult to kill?

They hull tank hard now, and their powerplant is only accessible from the bottom, downrange of all the guns. You have to hang out behind and above them, like on a conda, and just beat the hell out of them with kinetic weapons now. They used to be the free money but the hull changes have definitely helped all three fed ships in RES.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

They hull tank hard now, and their powerplant is only accessible from the bottom, downrange of all the guns. You have to hang out behind and above them, like on a conda, and just beat the hell out of them with kinetic weapons now. They used to be the free money but the hull changes have definitely helped all three fed ships in RES.

That makes sense. There's one loadout with beam turrets that is downright annoying in my Corvette, almost to the point where I'll ignore them if I see them and fight something else.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
Well, it went down to 15 bucks so I grabbed it. Even if it's a mile wide but an inch deep i'd have a hard time regretting :10bux:+5 for what appears to be a very make-your-own-fun type game.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

That also explains why they're so friggin tanky in the CZ I've been doing against Gak

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

That one is really nice.

I'm about 2,000 ly into my first trip to the core. Horizons really made exploration worth it for me, planetary sightseeing is so great.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

HapiMerchant posted:

Well, it went down to 15 bucks so I grabbed it. Even if it's a mile wide but an inch deep i'd have a hard time regretting :10bux:+5 for what appears to be a very make-your-own-fun type game.
You have chosen wisely. Join up with the Diamond Frogs since we're doing our own thing to make the game interesting. PGS thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740324

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

I often ignore them with my pulse Vulture because they don't pay enough for how annoying they are to kill. They don't last long against the triple frag FAS, though. :getin:

Shine fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 23, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I didn't even think stars could be that close without accreting into each other. Space and gravity is loving weird and I wish I'd studied astronomy in college instead of comp sci. It's so much more fascinating than computer programming :(

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

If I am not planning to go down to planets, does Horizons add anything for me? Or I can just stick to the base game for now?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Weissritter posted:

If I am not planning to go down to planets, does Horizons add anything for me? Or I can just stick to the base game for now?

Not at the moment, but as the "season" goes on there might be things you're interested in that will be horizons only.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Ciaphas posted:

I didn't even think stars could be that close without accreting into each other.
While that is probably true, it's not modeled in the game.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

Here's a simple list:

I just flew out here before going to bed. Wow there's an Outpost all the way here! I've never done rank stacking missions so what is the standard procedure here? Am I supposed to mission scum like crazy?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Paramemetic posted:

I think I've actually had more success hitting their power plant from above. Or maybe that's FAS's.

Xtanstic posted:

I just flew out here before going to bed. Wow there's an Outpost all the way here! I've never done rank stacking missions so what is the standard procedure here? Am I supposed to mission scum like crazy?
Mission scum like crazy. Every credit donation you can and for rank missions pay attention to how many LY's away it wants you to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

tbh if I spent $150,000 on a game like this fool claims to have done, I'd be convincing myself pretty hard about its quality as well.

dude probably had custom-made SC bedsheets made and poo poo.

• Locked thread