Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Steve McNair was pretty high pitched. I'll find a video and edit it in.

Update: I cannot find a video.

JesustheDarkLord fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Just found out that back in September, in Georgia, they had a successful :toot: fair catch kick!

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/video-watch-ga-football-player-make-rare-63-yard-free-kick-field-goal

This is a nearly-obsolete (but not quite) rule from the days when football was much more of a field-position game. In NFL and NFHS rules (but not NCAA, it got removed in the 50s for boring, fun-hating reasons), when a player makes a fair catch, his team then has the option of putting the ball in play by scrimmage or by a free kick - and, unlike a free kick after a score, you can score a field goal with it. The NFL will even let you have an untimed down to take the kick if time expired before the fair catch. This is the edge case in which it remains useful; make a fair catch right at the end of a half, and it may well be a better option to take the kick than trying to run a play from scrimmage.

The last successful fair catch kick in the NFL was made in 1976; there's usually an attempt every five years or so. It's impossible to talk about the :toot: fair catch kick without posting the canonical example (also from Georgia, a few years back now), so here we go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mMAnYyf8tc

The commentators, of course, have less than no idea what's going on, and there are few things more amusing than a confused hillbilly. You do not want to miss this. "Ah can't tell you what's fixin' to happen here..."

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Trin Tragula posted:

Just found out that back in September, in Georgia, they had a successful :toot: fair catch kick!

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/video-watch-ga-football-player-make-rare-63-yard-free-kick-field-goal

This is a nearly-obsolete (but not quite) rule from the days when football was much more of a field-position game. In NFL and NFHS rules (but not NCAA, it got removed in the 50s for boring, fun-hating reasons), when a player makes a fair catch, his team then has the option of putting the ball in play by scrimmage or by a free kick - and, unlike a free kick after a score, you can score a field goal with it. The NFL will even let you have an untimed down to take the kick if time expired before the fair catch. This is the edge case in which it remains useful; make a fair catch right at the end of a half, and it may well be a better option to take the kick than trying to run a play from scrimmage.

The last successful fair catch kick in the NFL was made in 1976; there's usually an attempt every five years or so. It's impossible to talk about the :toot: fair catch kick without posting the canonical example (also from Georgia, a few years back now), so here we go.

The commentators, of course, have less than no idea what's going on, and there are few things more amusing than a confused hillbilly. You do not want to miss this. "Ah can't tell you what's fixin' to happen here..."

i wish those announcers would do college and pro games.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

That rule actually predates the change to Rugby in 1876 - it was part of the original football game they played. The NCAA got rid of the fair catch in the '50s, so the free kick rule went with it. A couple years later they decided it was a very bad idea and put the fair catch back in, but did not add the free kick clause along with it. Spoilsports. :mad:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Since it is so rarely attempted teams probably don't gameplan around it, but what are the rules for free kick eligibility if the punt goes out of bounds with the returner never having a chance to catch it? Does the receiving team just lose the option to elect to free kick?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Just so we're clear, the sequence of events is that Team A uses a scrimmage kick to punt, and knowing that Team B might want a fair catch kick, they deliberately punt it out of bounds?

In that case, yeah, tough poo poo, Team A is entitled to scrimmage-kick the ball out of bounds if that's what they want to do, and it's a valid tactic; the ball belongs to Team B and they must scrimmage. No different from kicking it out so the dangerous returner can't return it, or from dropping it short of the returner so it bounces before getting to them (by rule you can only catch a ball that has not touched the ground; anything after it touches the ground is a recovery).

(In case anyone is interested: the logic behind free kick out of bounds being a foul is that Team B can't attempt to block a free kick like they can a scrimmage kick because they can't get closer than 10 yards to the kicker.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 10, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Any recommendations for pro football podcasts?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Trin Tragula posted:

Just so we're clear, the sequence of events is that Team A uses a scrimmage kick to punt, and knowing that Team B might want a fair catch kick, they deliberately punt it out of bounds?

In that case, yeah, tough poo poo, Team A is entitled to scrimmage-kick the ball out of bounds if that's what they want to do, and it's a valid tactic; the ball belongs to Team B and they must scrimmage. No different from kicking it out so the dangerous returner can't return it, or from dropping it short of the returner so it bounces before getting to them (by rule you can only catch a ball that has not touched the ground; anything after it touches the ground is a recovery).

(In case anyone is interested: the logic behind free kick out of bounds being a foul is that Team B can't attempt to block a free kick like they can a scrimmage kick because they can't get closer than 10 yards to the kicker.)

Yeah, that's the situation I was wondering about - if Team A suspects Team B wants to try a free kick they could take away the opportunity by not allowing a fair catch. Makes sense, thanks.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Benny the Snake posted:

Any recommendations for pro football podcasts?

Around the NFL from NFL.com is probably the most easily digestible and my favorite NFL podcast.

Ross Tucker Football Podcast is decent but he is independent and does a ton of ad reads.

Football Today from ESPN is alright. Matt Williamson has a good amount of insight. Robert Flores can grate on people but I like him.

Move the Sticks (NFL.com) is good to learn about how scouts think about the game

R.I.P. Grantland NFL Podcast :(

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Spoeank posted:

R.I.P. Grantland NFL Podcast :(

I miss it so much. When it went away, I went in search of other NFL podcasts and have ended up keeping up with Around the NFL and Move the Sticks. While I enjoy both, neither fill that void.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Audibles by SI is OK.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
I've just watched the panthers game and it seems Cam has a really unusual cadence, this is my second year watching the NFL so the whole idea of cadence/snap count etc is so interesting to me.

Sometimes he said nothing and clapped and then the ball was snapped?

Anything I should read or watch to learn more about quarter backs signal calling and stuff?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

fronkpies posted:

I've just watched the panthers game and it seems Cam has a really unusual cadence, this is my second year watching the NFL so the whole idea of cadence/snap count etc is so interesting to me.

Anything I should read or watch to learn more about quarter backs signal calling and stuff?

Yeah the clapping thing is called a silent count. It can be used in stadiums where the crows is very loud, but can also be used when the QB is in the shotgun and just can't be heard well. The center or the guard will look through their legs for the clap to know when to snap it. Everyone will look in to know when the ball is snapped. So the clapping thing is visual not auditory like a normal snap count.

A similar thing happens on PAT's/field goals. The holder will usually look at the snapper and reach out to catch the ball. That's the signal for the snapped to go.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Aaron Rodgers has my favorite snap cadence.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--Cam's is very manly

fronkpies posted:

As long as you're communicating with the rest of the offense in some fashion they understand things can work. The clap is like the simplest thing and works if the play you called in the huddle was fine and you don't need to tell anyone anything else. I don't know of any cadence specific things to read or watch but here's an amusing video about play calls in general. Which will be completely unhelpful as far as understanding what's going on, but what has to be conferred you have formation, routes/assignments for receivers, assignments/routes/runs for running backs and letting the offensive line know their theoretical blocking jobs.

For the cadence itself they'll typically point out the Mike (middle) Linebacker which blocking assignments are based off of, then you might have something that points out the defensive front. The center is sometimes/ideally responsible for this so you have a couple of guys yelling, probably the center first. If there's a blitz there might be a code for a receiver to run a hot route, or they could audible to a completely different play. There also might be a word to denote that the snap count is now live, so you could try to draw the defense offside before actually intending to snap the ball. And you might just have a bunch of nonsense with keywords to tell people to listen to what comes next, Peyton is the biggest guy who does this all the time I think.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I can't remember what the team was, but there was a mess-up earlier this year where on a long snap the RG was looking for the silent QB signal, and when he saw it he tapped the C and set up and then the C snapped it two seconds later. Unfortunately, the QB saw something and turned to the sidelines, and completely missed the snap.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I believe that was Sam Bradford but I can't be sure

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
What the heck is that theme Around the NFL keeps using when they talk about the Patriots?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

What the heck is that theme Around the NFL keeps using when they talk about the Patriots?
I don't know the exact accompaniment but it's the Throne of Ease music. Because everything is easy and joyful when you're a Pats fan.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Gregg Rosenthal is a Pats fan so they mostly use the music to rib him

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm pretty sure that the Throne of SLEAZE music is public domain because a few months ago they had to change it because of copyright reasons

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Also yeah, Move The Sticks is really good but if you're still new to football I don't know how accessible it would be to you, since it's legit scouts breaking down Xs and Os in a way that could be lost on football newbies.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I'm following the nfl seriously for the first time this year, and I've heard stories about the last game or two being very unpredictable as teams rest their best players for the postseason, or else have nothing to play for and may as well tank.

How much does this affect the results of the Week 17 games? If I attended a game in week 16 or 17, would I still see the stars on the pitch at all?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

wooger posted:

I'm following the nfl seriously for the first time this year, and I've heard stories about the last game or two being very unpredictable as teams rest their best players for the postseason, or else have nothing to play for and may as well tank.

How much does this affect the results of the Week 17 games? If I attended a game in week 16 or 17, would I still see the stars on the pitch at all?

You will never see a football star on the pitch in week 17.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

wooger posted:

Depends on who's playing. There are usually some teams still fighting for playoff position or even a playoff spot. And some coaches will play starters regardless--I think Ron Rivera just said he's gonna play the Panthers' starters through the end of the season, although going for an undefeated year is a special circumstance.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
How come networks don't switch to the next game that is coming on when the current game is well in hand? Like if a game starts a 4 and runs until 7:30, and team A is beating team B by 45 points, why not just flip over to the game that is supposed to start at 7 instead of making us tune in 30 minutes late?

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
I'm pretty sure it's usually contractual obligations. They have to show the entire game to certain markets. Like the Broncos game has to be shown in its entirety in Denver.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cole posted:

How come networks don't switch to the next game that is coming on when the current game is well in hand? Like if a game starts a 4 and runs until 7:30, and team A is beating team B by 45 points, why not just flip over to the game that is supposed to start at 7 instead of making us tune in 30 minutes late?

Heidi: The Little Girl Who Changed Football Forever

Miraculous comebacks do happen in the last minutes of games. Cutting away just in time for a team to pull one out is not conducive to happy fans. People are much less angry about missing the first few minutes of a game rather than the last few, whatever the score.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
Seasons greetings gentlemen, just two quick questions:

1) Why are trades not as prevalent within the NFL as they are within the NBA? Teams don't seem to make any blockbuster trades in the NFL at all. I mean I know in the NBA you'd probably be going back to the Dwight Howard trade to find the last time a genuine superstar got traded but I've not really seen anything but draft picks and little known players be traded this season. It just seems that team don't really make trades their priority, am I correct?

2) I picked up Josh Gordon in my connected franchise on Madden 25 and he went on to be one of the all time great receivers. All I can seem to find on him is that he had an incredible year then got banned for a year for substance issues. Can anyone give me more background on why he's suspended and also just how good of a player are we talking about with him? Is he genuinely a great WR prospect like a Beckham Jr or was it a flash in the pan?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

El Seano posted:

Seasons greetings gentlemen, just two quick questions:

1) Why are trades not as prevalent within the NFL as they are within the NBA? Teams don't seem to make any blockbuster trades in the NFL at all. I mean I know in the NBA you'd probably be going back to the Dwight Howard trade to find the last time a genuine superstar got traded but I've not really seen anything but draft picks and little known players be traded this season. It just seems that team don't really make trades their priority, am I correct?

2) I picked up Josh Gordon in my connected franchise on Madden 25 and he went on to be one of the all time great receivers. All I can seem to find on him is that he had an incredible year then got banned for a year for substance issues. Can anyone give me more background on why he's suspended and also just how good of a player are we talking about with him? Is he genuinely a great WR prospect like a Beckham Jr or was it a flash in the pan?

1: I'm not the best NBA fan so someone can correct me if I'm way off here, but my impression is there are plenty of trades in the NFL, there are just very few player for player trades. NFL trades are generally either player for draft picks or draft picks for draft picks, as in during the draft if you want to move up you'll offer your 2nd and 4th for a mid-late first round pick. There are value charts for this type of thing.

As to why this is I think it's a two part thing. The NFL's Salary Cap is a hard cap and you cannot break it no matter what, so you have to be careful when taking on outside contracts compared to what you already have committed. And the same applies to the other team so that's just a wrench in things. You won't see something like a star traded for a bunch of prospects for instance, or it will be ridiculously rare at least.

The other part of things is it's often hard for players to switch systems and to predict how well they will do. For a particularly bad (dumb) example Nnamdi Asomugha was consistently an All Pro or close to All Pro cornerback playing press man coverage for the Raiders, the Eagles signed him in free agency and put him in zone and he was awful. It's possible he lost a step too--and eventually he definitely did--but the way the Eagles used him was never going to work. Even without something that obvious though a bunch of guys don't thrive when they switch teams, either because NFL players wear down at a frightening rate or because they don't fit the system.

2: Josh Gordon is probably really really damned good. He's not Odell good as a prospect because statistically no one has gotten off to the start he has, but he's still been damned good. It depends on a lot of things whether this will ever show up on the field. He has to convince the NFL he's changed, he has to not actually be addicted to booze/weed and stay clean (another highly regarded WR prospect has basically thrown his career away for booze at this point). I don't think people get addicted to weed as badly as alcohol but Gordon's been repeatedly busted back to college for marijuana related things. And right or wrong with the way the NFL's bullshit goes he'll have to keep his nose clean off the field, they'll be more ready to come down on him if he screws up in any way.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Josh Gordon owns bones. To put into perspective how good Gordon is, the one season where he played most of the seasons he lead the league in receiving yards with quarterbacks that aren't even on the Browns even more.

As for trades, it's just harder for a player to come to a team midseason and make a difference because football is so scheme oriented and languages/playbooks are so complex, especially compared to the nba where if you can ball it doesn't matter that much if you know plays as long as you're aware of what your role is which is why you don't see as many trades.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Metapod posted:

Josh Gordon owns bones. To put into perspective how good Gordon is, the one season where he played most of the seasons he lead the league in receiving yards with quarterbacks that aren't even on the Browns even more.

As for trades, it's just harder for a player to come to a team midseason and make a difference because football is so scheme oriented and languages/playbooks are so complex, especially compared to the nba where if you can ball it doesn't matter that much if you know plays as long as you're aware of what your role is which is why you don't see as many trades.

It's also a 16 game schedule vs an 82/162 game schedule the other sports have. I think that has a bit to do with it as well.

E: Is there a place where you can see the amount of total injuries in the NFL year to year? I feel like this year has had way more than prior years, but to be honest this is the first year I've been able to really pay attention.

Cole fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 27, 2015

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah the small # of games matters, I think, at least for in-season trades. The NFL might have more trades if they moved the trade deadline back (some trades in other leagues are basically short term gain for teams making a run and long term gain for the team that is rebuilding) but yeah one reason is that most NFL positions have a fair amount to learn that is going to be somewhat team-specific. The other is with that contracts are structured under the salary cap is you often end up eating dead money if you trade somebody away, and that tends to be more true for the players you'd most like to trade away.

Re: Gordon, I wish the league would stop sweating weed, but you pretty much have to be an addict (or a total gently caress-up) to get deep into the NFL substance abuse policy.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Is there a play clock for the PAT or 2-point conversion after a TD, or how long can teams take?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Same as any other play after an administrative stoppage; 25 seconds from the ready-for-play whistle.

(In case anyone's wondering, there are reasons for having a whistle rather than another 40-second clock. Among other things: it often takes longer to get another ball because we need to play fun police and make sure the celebrations don't qualify for the rulebook definition of unsportsmanlike conduct; and Team A is allowed to snap the ball from any point on or behind the relevant yard-line between the hashes as long as they tell us before the ball is ready, so using the whistle gives them a bit longer to do that.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 21, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Trin Tragula posted:

Same as any other play after an administrative stoppage; 25 seconds from the ready-for-play whistle.

(In case anyone's wondering, there are reasons for having a whistle rather than another 40-second clock. Among other things: it often takes longer to get another ball because we need to play fun police and make sure the celebrations don't qualify for the rulebook definition of unsportsmanlike conduct; and Team A is allowed to snap the ball from any point on or behind the relevant yard-line between the hashes as long as they tell us before the ball is ready, so using the whistle gives them a bit longer to do that.)

Wait. So a team could snap it at the 50 if they felt like it?

I want somebody to do that while up by 30 with a minute left.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In the ARI/GB game, Larry Fitzgerald got a penalty in the second half for (I think) unsportsmanlike conduct when he hit another player. The commentators were saying it had something to do with him moving towards the goal line instead of perpendicular or reversing direction or something like that. Sorry it is so vague, but I had no idea even what they are talking about. Can somebody tell me what the significance was with what direction he was going?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I got volunteered to coach my kids flag football team. I have no idea what I'm doing. One of the other coaches in our division is the 20yr tenure high school football coach.

How the hell do I run the ball in a zero contact league?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ron Jeremy posted:

I got volunteered to coach my kids flag football team. I have no idea what I'm doing. One of the other coaches in our division is the 20yr tenure high school football coach.

How the hell do I run the ball in a zero contact league?

You take that ball. You run the dang ball. Preferably by assigning the kid with the obvious pituitary problem to play RB.

Why is there no TFF rewrite of Take This Job and Shove It, "Take This Ball and Run It".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

In the ARI/GB game, Larry Fitzgerald got a penalty in the second half for (I think) unsportsmanlike conduct when he hit another player. The commentators were saying it had something to do with him moving towards the goal line instead of perpendicular or reversing direction or something like that. Sorry it is so vague, but I had no idea even what they are talking about. Can somebody tell me what the significance was with what direction he was going?

This could have been a peel back or it could have been targeting against a blindsided opponent. NFL 12-2-4:

quote:

ILLEGAL “PEEL BACK” BLOCK. An offensive player cannot initiate contact on the side and below the waist against an opponent if:

(a) the blocker is moving toward his own end line; and
(b) he approaches the opponent from behind or from the side.

Note: If the near shoulder of the blocker contacts the front of his opponent’s body, the “peel back” block is legal.

and 12-2-7:

quote:

PLAYERS IN A DEFENSELESS POSTURE. It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:
(9) A player who receives a “blindside” block when the path of the blocker is toward or parallel to his own end line, and
he approaches the opponent from behind or from the side

For it to have been a 12-2-7 foul the contact must be to the targeted player's head with any part of the fouling player's body, or with the fouling player's head towards any part of the targeted player's body; in NCAA this would also be an automatic disqualification.

• Locked thread