Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Sperglord Actual posted:

Got a Koenigsberg. Seems pretty righteous so far.

Just don't get hit. Good advice for any ship, I know, but you should never stop dodging in those German cruisers with their paper armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008
So Tier 6 Ruski DD. For my first level 3 captain skill, should I get Vigilance or High Alert?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lake Effect posted:

So Tier 6 Ruski DD. For my first level 3 captain skill, should I get Vigilance or High Alert?

Personally I'm a fan of Superintendent.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

TSBX posted:

What in the christ is Anime mode?!

It caters to the niche audience of those who are pedophiles and warship enthusiasts at the same time.

Anyway, the patch might make me play CVs again. After the glorious alpha and beta days when CVs dominated everything, it became less enjoyable once they were finally cut down to size. Of course these changes were right and much needed, but I can't help to feel a bit down, when I sink 2 ships as CV, when before you were the radiant and inescapable instrument of God. Converging torp arcs sound good though and might invoke that feeling again.

I have only played this very casually in the recent months, usually alternating between Tirpitz, Murmansk and and double Minekaze (Halloween and normal) games and am now sitting on 650k free xp (cause I was silly and bought too many doubloons back during preorder) and I don't know where to spend them cause the tier 8+ game feels so much less fun than the mid tiers.

Also the new flags we get this patch seem ungodly, especially the +burn ones. Stack India X-Ray and Victor Lima with the +burn skill and things might get very ugly, very quickly. Seems this is their version of gold shells.

Victor Lima

Achievement: Witherer
+ 1% chance to cause fire by bombs and shells of caliber over 160 mm
+0.5% chance to cause fire by shells of caliber less 160 mm
+4% chance to cause flooding

India X-Ray

Achievement: Arsonist
+ 1% chance to cause fire by bombs and shells of caliber over 160 mm
+0.5% chance to cause fire by shells of caliber less 160 mm
+5% chance to detonate the magazine (of your own ship, disadvantageous)

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 23, 2015

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Sperglord Actual posted:

Got a Koenigsberg. Seems pretty righteous so far.

I think its a very good ship for Tier V. High velocity and a relatively flat trajectory combined with good range and powerful AP ammo to mangle enemy cruisers. And supposedly in the patch they buffed the engine room and rudder to be less fragile against smaller caliber (i.e. Destroyer) guns.

Now maybe im just being a wet blanket, but the next ship in the line (Nurnberg) looks like its basically the same ship just a tier higher (booo) and the Yorck at tier 7 is supposed to be a real low point (but hey it just got a major buff to turret rotation). People seem to like the Tier 8-10 ships though.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Yesterday I got sick of grinding the Karlsruhe and sold it to buy a Mutsuki. Today I got a big fat 2M credit secret santa payout. I regret nothing, except the loss of my Minekaze.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Hammerstein posted:

It caters to the niche audience of those who are pedophiles and warship enthusiasts at the same time.
i hate to break it to you, but that Venn diagram would be a circle.

wdarkk posted:

Personally I'm a fan of Superintendent.
Its not actually that necessary of a skill anymore, with the new +1 charge for the premium consumables. That said, the other choice is High Alert (not terribly good on DDs) and Vigilance, which may not actually be a bad choice considering the buff to torpedo detection. Superintendent is still a very safe, sensible choice.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I came back last night to play with my in-law a few rounds since he still plays this and was given the Christmas gift of wins and decent games albeit in lower tier DD's. Wish I had replays because either I was really on a hot streak or there were people with significant mental debilitation's playing last night. In one match I drove straight in between two islands, dropped a spread from one side where I was already pounding a DD that had beached itself but popped smoke when he did so. In exchange my torps hit a cruiser that appeared from the cloud and sank it with all four torps scoring direct hits then a few seconds later the DD sank, it had burned down. Rounded the corner, oh hey another cruiser in a vulnerable position a few hundred yards ahead of me AND my torpedoes are less than ten seconds from a reload. Sank him as well. I ended with only three kills and a few more hits along the way before I met a South Carolina that was not impressed and one-volleyed me to the bottom of the ocean.

Another round I sank a DD and one CV's on the other team able to get right in the faces of both CV's on the team splitting them both as they manual dropped into each other trying to get me.. killed one the other sank his buddy on an ill-timed drop that missed me but broadsided the other.

Fun times, then my in-law left and I lost every match after that. The End.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Hazdoc posted:

i hate to break it to you, but that Venn diagram would be a circle.

Its not actually that necessary of a skill anymore, with the new +1 charge for the premium consumables. That said, the other choice is High Alert (not terribly good on DDs) and Vigilance, which may not actually be a bad choice considering the buff to torpedo detection. Superintendent is still a very safe, sensible choice.

I recently was applying superintendent on my battleships as a second tier 3 skill... this disappoints me, because it seems like it'd be better to just pay the credits for the premium repair.

I wish they'd let you respec when they make major changes.

Now I'm not quite sure to do with captains points, particularly on my IJN CA, which was setup for mogami dominance.
And my battleship, which garner little benefit from having an extra scout plane.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

The patch notes stated that they inverted the pattern for IJN CV torps, does that mean now the torps will funnel into a point instead of fanning out into a pattern where you're lucky to get one hit?

That's correct but only for manual drops. The triangle is very stretched out so you need to drop from farther out to allow the fish to converge. The drop pattern overall seems to be tighter, even when your planes are affected by flak.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Omaha match: enemy team has a 3-man platoon with a Cleveland named FMJRommel, buddy in a Farragut named Big_Bad_Rage and a CV with something that looked like dickstarngler but w/e. I make my Nazi shitlover comment and head out looking for the Cleveland. We engage at range and he is actually worse than I am not being able to hit a loving thing. Finally after setting him on fire a few times and a citadel he runs, I chase him down whittling him away with fires until he sinks. Insert token comment afterwards to him.

I spot the CV and make a dash for him next, finally catching up and dialing it in his other pal in the Farragut appears from around an island, I drop a lucky spread of torps and he eats half, then I unload a lucky volley sinking him too.

I chase down the CV still on fire already burned kits and cannot take aircraft. I continue pounding it at range until it burns down too.

Plus 1 for the win column. Next match though our team got completely poo poo on and I was blown to poo poo in the early part of the match. Win some, lose most. At least I have another Rommel to add to my belt.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I was just reminded why I hate battleships. Took my imperator out for a spin and while pushing forth with a kongo next to me, the kongo suddenly decides to turn left towards me. I also had started to turn left anyway so it wouldn't have been so bad if the guy paid attention. Instead, he was so busy shooting his guns to notice the sirens about hitting another ship. Needless to say, an enemy DD creamed his pants by getting a double strike with a single torp spread since we were locked together and staggered (his bow was about at my midsection). Kongo continued to turn left even after having clipped into me.

This was after the previous battle where I danced the moon with my dresden and got the enemy ball of hate to lose focus to shoot at me yet I still ended with 3/4th of my health (and two of the ships shooting me were SCs). Map that was played on had 3 control points. The other half of my team got control of the other two putting us way up in points and because I was back tracking to spawn, the ball of hate got out of position to defend the last control point that my team then took.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That ranks up there with the string of 0-15 losses today. Time to go back to AW and play tanks.. much less frustrating than this.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

demonR6 posted:

That ranks up there with the string of 0-15 losses today. Time to go back to AW and play tanks.. much less frustrating than this.

for a game you hate you sure do post about it a bunch

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
sucks to be at home working and bored. at least i am being paid to be mad @ botes. although i have been playing tanks now for the last couple of hours.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
honestly, I have the reverse reaction when playing boats vs tanks. Tanks pisses me off every time I try it, boats are the best.
haven't tried armored warfare, though

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I quit and uninstalled WoT when I started playing botes full time. Once AW came out I started playing that a lot more. Botes has evolved over that time, the player base has improved while I went two steps backwards. When I play not only am I much more terrible than before but the lopsided rear end whippings seem more exacerbated now. Trying to play botes because tanks all the time can get old and not in the mood to download yet another game to get mad at and replace it so here we are.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

demonR6 posted:

I quit and uninstalled WoT when I started playing botes full time. Once AW came out I started playing that a lot more. Botes has evolved over that time, the player base has improved while I went two steps backwards. When I play not only am I much more terrible than before but the lopsided rear end whippings seem more exacerbated now. Trying to play botes because tanks all the time can get old and not in the mood to download yet another game to get mad at and replace it so here we are.

ok

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

demonR6 posted:

My WoWs time also took a dip when AW came out. But by now I'm back to boats, cause compared to AW I feel much more confident about forging my own destiny, while in AW you get screwed over by the small maps and rng a lot more.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

demonR6 posted:

AW just felt like a different WoT. WoWs is another game altogether. There is just something about it that feels better and more complex. Maybe it is the slower action coupled with more planning required for movement. Nothing in WoT or AW compares to the feeling you get when you totally outshoot and outmanuever another ship and just own the poo poo out of them.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but if you click the anchor icon on the blue background above the mission thing, you can change your port. Currently sitting with my Konigsburg in NY harbor.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TSBX posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but if you click the anchor icon on the blue background above the mission thing, you can change your port. Currently sitting with my Konigsburg in NY harbor.

Gives it a "The Man in the High Castle" vibe. Especially when it's the Tirpitz.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

cheese posted:

AW just felt like a different WoT. WoWs is another game altogether. There is just something about it that feels better and more complex. Maybe it is the slower action coupled with more planning required for movement. Nothing in WoT or AW compares to the feeling you get when you totally outshoot and outmanuever another ship and just own the poo poo out of them.

I agree with you on that.. what kills it for me is there are more lopsided rear end kickings and I just cannot get over how the other guys are firing steady streams of pinpoint fire on my ship raking in horrendous amounts of damage while I might land one hit for 600-1000 damage. On occasion I get a lucky citadel hit but those are rare. Also I am always varying speed and usually turn to give the other dudes a minimum profile while I am reloading. I have to figure out replays so I can post examples next time I play.

Also on a side AW note they boosted the xp earnings this weekend so grind tanks! I unlocked the Chally last night and am halfway to the M1. I started around 4p or so and by 10p I was surprised to see the Chally at 100%. I never paid attention until I saw it and had no idea and that was playing PVE!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
That game I talked about with the ramming kongo that gave a dd a double strike? Yeah, shortly before that happened, I erased a pheonix in my first volley from full health. It is the only reason I mildly enjoy bb, but their inability to move away from retards that start to ram you just annoy me to no end.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Just had a game where it came down to 1 on 1 me and Arishtat, but his team hit 1000 points before I could spot him again. At least I got my first Kraken award.

Which does lead to a dumb question, are you limited to one set of +50% exp flags from that award every 24 hours like Confederate used to work?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Lakedaimon posted:

Just had a game where it came down to 1 on 1 me and Arishtat, but his team hit 1000 points before I could spot him again. At least I got my first Kraken award.

Which does lead to a dumb question, are you limited to one set of +50% exp flags from that award every 24 hours like Confederate used to work?

Almost certainly.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I haven't played in a while but I logged on yesterday and won 5 in a row. Had a game in my Myogi where me and a guy in a Kongo went SSJ and just bulldozed everyone on the other team, not that our team was bad, but in the space of 3 minutes or so I turned one way, slid past torps, one volley + secondaries the DD that fired them, turned into torpedo bombers splashing 3 unarmed torps on my side, straightened the rudder, pointed my guns at a Wyoming 14km away, citadelled him down to 2k health on the first volley, pointed myself towards him to protect myself from return fire, which meant my guns were pointed straight at an Aoba running parallel to me, one-volleyed Aoba with the reload, then dropped a blind volley on the Langley. Meanwhile the Kongo soloed a cruiser and a DD on point B, capped it, cleaned up the Wyoming I had damaged, then chased down the Langley and would have killed him had we not won on points.

Game's still fun and pubbies are still awful. Can still go full sky cancer at tier 4 and 5, I suppose it's higher tier that they're bad now? I guess if I want the full WoWS terrible experience I'll have to try ranked.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
You shouldn't be able to report the player who outscores the entire team by 700 base exp with a "plays poorly" report.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Huh, so there's no discount on premium accounts in the WoWs store, but there is in the WoT store :crossarms:

Also, only -14%.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Big sale on virtually all ships, if you were looking to take the plunge and buy a new boat, now is the time!
Gotta grab the Shimakaze while the sale is still on...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Hazdoc posted:

Big sale on virtually all ships, if you were looking to take the plunge and buy a new boat, now is the time!
Gotta grab the Shimakaze while the sale is still on...

Not exactly a big sale. It's for tier 8-10 only and you save, what, 15% compared to the usual price? Better than nothing...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Tanks premium account works for boats, right?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

PirateBob posted:

Not exactly a big sale. It's for tier 8-10 only and you save, what, 15% compared to the usual price? Better than nothing...

I'm savin 3 mil on teh shima, which is 3 mil I can use to fund my ship losing shenanigans instead.

JCFalkenberg
Jul 7, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Tanks premium account works for boats, right?

Yup. I spent 20k of my pbkac gold hoard on a year of premium the other day.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
God drat, the blyk is pretty god drat amazing. Have you seen a gearing hang out unloading its gun like an atlanta while not being seen? Welp, here it is again at tier 8 with like, 1 less gun than the gearing. 3 turrets with 2x guns and one turret with 1x gun. God drat hilarious fun. It is becoming my fun ship to play next to the sims which also has good gun play to it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So uh x3 first win bonus PLUS additional 1.25x xp for placing in the top five EQUALS :getin:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

So uh x3 first win bonus PLUS additional 1.25x xp for placing in the top five EQUALS :getin:
Yeah, been getting a lot of 11-13k first wins. Good day to get all those triples. ALSO STOP IGNORING ME ON TS :smithicide:

JuffoWup posted:

God drat, the blyk is pretty god drat amazing. Have you seen a gearing hang out unloading its gun like an atlanta while not being seen? Welp, here it is again at tier 8 with like, 1 less gun than the gearing. 3 turrets with 2x guns and one turret with 1x gun. God drat hilarious fun. It is becoming my fun ship to play next to the sims which also has good gun play to it.
The Gearing shoots a LOT faster than a Blys, though its ballstics are inferior. But i'll put 2 shots out in the time the Blys has to shoot once. The Blys is a lot like the pre-nerf Kiev, though, which is hilariously good.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah, been getting a lot of 11-13k first wins. Good day to get all those triples. ALSO STOP IGNORING ME ON TS :smithicide:

The Gearing shoots a LOT faster than a Blys, though its ballstics are inferior. But i'll put 2 shots out in the time the Blys has to shoot once. The Blys is a lot like the pre-nerf Kiev, though, which is hilariously good.

Right, I didn't mean it has similar rof, just that it isn't slow at reloading either. I can nearly ripple fire them constantly like you can the atlanta but not quite. There is a few seconds gap before the first turret gets reloaded. Got complimented in my last game as a group for doing great work. The three of us DDs just mopped up the north side of ocean and started to push westward to their enemy cap without one of us lost. compision was 2x blysks and 1x mutsuki. The mutsuki let us just gun play it while he just launched torps at the enemy. Was a very good game.

Edit: is the russian dds similar in terms of high gun play with decent arcs? My time with the grem made me not really not like the concept unless it is an outlier. The grem's turret rotation is so debilitating.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 25, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

JuffoWup posted:

Right, I didn't mean it has similar rof, just that it isn't slow at reloading either. I can nearly ripple fire them constantly like you can the atlanta but not quite. There is a few seconds gap before the first turret gets reloaded. Got complimented in my last game as a group for doing great work. The three of us DDs just mopped up the north side of ocean and started to push westward to their enemy cap without one of us lost. compision was 2x blysks and 1x mutsuki. The mutsuki let us just gun play it while he just launched torps at the enemy. Was a very good game.

Edit: is the russian dds similar in terms of high gun play with decent arcs? My time with the grem made me not really not like the concept unless it is an outlier. The grem's turret rotation is so debilitating.

Yes, RUS DDs have the same sort of ballistics along with high speed, fast RoF, and decent traverse too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

cheese posted:

I've noticed that playing American destroyers, with a 7k detection range and 5.5k torpedo range, really forces you to plan ahead. You're so fragile and that before you make any move you have to work out exactly how you want to come in, when you want to fire, and how you're going to get back into concealment.

It works out pretty well, although it seems like 90% of the gameplay is just scouting while looking for ships that have wandered off by themselves , and the other 10% of the gameplay is dodging shells like a mad fucker to get close enough to use torpedo's.