Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I can understand bad animation, that is when they're moving, but when most of the static shots are derp as gently caress it's like what the hell? Is it that hard for a professional company to draw still pictures that don't look completely stupid?

That being said, I enjoyed the episode. Not long now until the nipple man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Baal posted:

Man, they really padded out that Buu and Gohan fight in the anime and the Buu and Vegito one

Buu vs. Vegito is the best fight in DBZ history.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Goku/Krillin/Gohan/Yajirobe vs. Vegeta is still pretty top tier.

I wish they'd announce the dub for Buu Kai already so I can finally watch the last bit of DBZ

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Buu vs. Vegito is the best fight in DBZ history.

actually *adjusts glasses* it's piccolo jr vs. goku

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Goku vs Frieza you contrarian chumps

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Aurora posted:

I wish they'd announce the dub for Buu Kai already so I can finally watch the last bit of DBZ

you should watch the uncut dub, as it is the Buu Saga in all its glory :colbert: (waiting eagerly for both the Buu Kai and English Super announcements)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ruggington posted:

actually *adjusts glasses* it's piccolo jr vs. goku

That's not DBZ!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Remember when Buu fed himself to one of those killer dudes until he exploded, that was sick

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Baal posted:

Remember when Buu fed himself to one of those killer dudes until he exploded, that was sick

remember when he got mad a girl didn't want to date him

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lol yeah

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Aurora posted:

I forgot most of this fight, so when I watched Kai it was pretty amazing. I remembered Yajirobe cutting off Vegeta's tail, but I didn't remember him coming in again to stop him from fleeing. I also didn't remember Gohan actually fighting with him, it was great.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Momomo posted:

I forgot most of this fight, so when I watched Kai it was pretty amazing. I remembered Yajirobe cutting off Vegeta's tail, but I didn't remember him coming in again to stop him from fleeing. I also didn't remember Gohan actually fighting with him, it was great.

Was the Gohan stuff filler? I know the fight they had after Namek was

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The best fight in Dragon Ball is the recreation of when Cell got chumped by Satan.

e: V I guess?
Feel free to PM me if you don't like something I say or do or whatever.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 23, 2015

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Dude, is this your gimmick in every anime thread?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

did you guys know Satan is the strongest rofl

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

SirKibbles posted:

Was the Gohan stuff filler? I know the fight they had after Namek was

Nope.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gohan vs Freeza when Goku was either playing dead/setting up the wishes is filler though right?
Freeza being able to power down, spar with Gohan, and instantly pump up his muscles Goku arrives again just reeks of filler.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

In It For The Tank posted:

I do not understand the love for Lord Slug at all in this thread. The most memorable part about the film other than the False Super Saiyan was the dub soundtrack.

I wouldn't say I personally "love" it (and I don't know how it's perceived overall in the DB community) but it was a decent movie with nothing particularly offensive in it.

Darko posted:

You don't like "Yo! Son Goku?" Slice of life Dragon Ball is the best, and that was pretty much entirely slice of life, and also segued into the current tone of the series (everyone was in character, unlike those movies).

I didn't realize that movie was so popular. I was almost sure that everyone hated it.

Anyway, I personally didn't care for it because we're introduced to a character that was never even remotely hinted at up until that point (Tarble) and two baddies who served under Freeza that happened to be as strong as him as well? RoF makes the appearance of these two even more bizarre given the fact that Sherbet was bragging about how Tagoma and that other guy were as strong as Zarbon and Dodoria.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Zedd posted:

Gohan vs Freeza when Goku was either playing dead/setting up the wishes is filler though right?
Freeza being able to power down, spar with Gohan, and instantly pump up his muscles Goku arrives again just reeks of filler.

Yeah that never happened. Once Freeza powered up 100%, the fight lasted like 8 pages.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Yo! Son Goku's premise is no weirder than any other movie

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

did you know freeza has a brother

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
The whole "Toriyama likes to subvert by having the arc villain look small and unassuming" thing kinda loses credence when Frieza ends up going super swole at the end anyway.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

sharktamer posted:

The whole "Toriyama likes to subvert by having the arc villain look small and unassuming" thing kinda loses credence when Frieza ends up going super swole at the end anyway.

Not really. It's a recurring theme that when someone bulks up like that they're about to get immensely owned (see also: power weighted Cell, Ultra SSJ Trunks, SSJ3 Goku); it's a desperate last ditch effort to win by literally puffing themselves up and in Frieza's (and SSJ3 Goku's) case the fights end when it turns out they were burning through their reserves at unsustainable rates to keep it up. The 'slim and understated' rule actually holds pretty well when you look at characters at their peak in the narrative; Saiyan Saga Vegeta, Final Form Frieza, Super Perfect Cell, Kid Buu, there's a pretty consistent pattern

It's also why Broly's such a comically stupid character, he literally turned DBZ villain hubris into his superpower

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Then why is it that when Vegeta went ape he nearly killed the main character and was pretty much unstoppable until someone did something about his tail?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The buff stuff looks cooler(I'm kind of sad Toriyama invented the bishounen line) but at the same time Freeza was loving intimidating as hell in his first final form. He was just so sinister and creepy. Hard to ignore the result.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Freeza would've gotten owned regardless of him going buff or not, if anything he put up a better fight against Goku by going buff and Super Buu was legitimately the most powerful and threatening villain the series has had until RoF rolled around. The only person who got wrecked hard after going big was Cell and he was already fighting a losing battle at that point.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Baal posted:

Then why is it that when Vegeta went ape he nearly killed the main character and was pretty much unstoppable until someone did something about his tail?

I don't think Great Ape stuff works the same way. It also was phased out before most of the "get really buff to win" strategies and their consequences happened

Nobody in the Saiyan Saga era was really fast enough to capitalize on any potential slowness that came from Great Ape

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

That was also the last time the ability was ever seen, considering all everything past follows a broadly similar pattern I'd suggest Toriyama's ideas on how to visualise 'power' changed

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Was Kid Buu actually stronger than Super Buu or was it just that Goku and Vegeta were both beaten up as gently caress and Kid Buu still posed enough of a threat?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Aurora posted:

Was Kid Buu actually stronger than Super Buu ?

Ding Ding Ding! Congratulation, you said the secret phrase. Your prize is a ten page derail of people screaming at each other about powerlevels.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Aurora posted:

I don't think Great Ape stuff works the same way. It also was phased out before most of the "get really buff to win" strategies and their consequences happened

Nobody in the Saiyan Saga era was really fast enough to capitalize on any potential slowness that came from Great Ape

A Steampunk Gent posted:

That was also the last time the ability was ever seen, considering all everything past follows a broadly similar pattern I'd suggest Toriyama's ideas on how to visualise 'power' changed

I mean, that's true, but it's still a big part of the series and it also falls under that line of reasoning that "Get bigger and more muscles" is very much a part of the series. Just because it doesn't fall in line with how later villains handle it doesn't negate it being the same concept. I'm not saying it falls to that all the time, but to say that like someone bulking up gets them owned when in more than one case it extends a fight and throws something into the villains favor is kind of wrong. SS3 Goku is especially a case where that's not true because he legit dominates p much every fight he's SS3 in even the Kid Buu fight, but in that case he can't outright kill him because insane regeneration.

Aurora posted:

Was Kid Buu actually stronger than Super Buu or was it just that Goku and Vegeta were both beaten up as gently caress and Kid Buu still posed enough of a threat?

It's weird where it falls, but Super Buu is definitely the strongest form as even if he was about the same power as Kid Buu, he's somewhat intelligent enough to make use of his powers to their utmost ability, while Kid Buu wantonly destroys everything. It's a touchy silly subject, but I think it's easy enough to fall to the conclusion that Super Buu is a far more threatening villain on multiple levels than Kid Buu, but Kid Buu is still insanely dangerous.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Baal posted:

Also Freeza would've gotten owned regardless of him going buff or not, if anything he put up a better fight against Goku by going buff and Super Buu was legitimately the most powerful and threatening villain the series has had until RoF rolled around. The only person who got wrecked hard after going big was Cell and he was already fighting a losing battle at that point.

With Frieza I agree, that's why I said it was a desperate last ditch attempt to stay in the game and why it ended up with him burning himself out. Super Buu is an interesting one as his design communicates his personality and mental state moreso than his raw power. We see him change vastly as he absorbs and jettisons different people and his final, original form is the most dangerous not because of raw power but because he's lost any shred of humanity and reverted to a primordial avatar of destruction

And as I said, similar visual rules end up applying for the protagonists too, notably with USSJ Trunks and SSJ3 Goku's goofy tryhard forms; Cell flat out says to Trunks he hosed himself by going for muscle mass at the expense of agility and Goku burns through the rest of his day on Earth half hour after he goes SSJ3

Finally, the same visual themes continue into the new Toriyama-overseen BoG era, SSG Goku actively loses muscle mass when he gains the form and Beerus and Whis, the two most powerful beings in the universe have none to speak of. Again, I'd say it's a pretty consistent pattern

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Aurora posted:

Was Kid Buu actually stronger than Super Buu?
Doesn't matter because Broly beats him anyway. His power is maximum.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd say it's more likely that it's on a case to case to basis. The newer DBZ stuff definitely does have that kind of svelte look for its power ups now, but the older stuff does not really fall under that consistently. I'd definitely say in like Cell and Trunks' case it would be true, because it's dramatically appropriate for that to be the scenario when Cell is fighting him and it for it to be an ironic call back when Cell tries to do it later. But I'd also say that like... Vegeta and Freeza are too damning to actually give it credence.

Zedd posted:

Doesn't matter because Broly beats him anyway. His power is maximum.

Imagine if Kid Buu absorbed Broly, he'd be more powerful than Beerus

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Aurora posted:

Goku didn't want to fight Super Buu unless he fused with Vegeta, yet he was confident he would win against Kid Buu if he managed to get to 100%.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Even with Super Buu the strongest versions of him have him looking noticeably slimmer than his initial appearance.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Only because Majin Buu is fat. I don't disagree about Toriyama's intentions, though. It was one of the notable flaws in BoG, Beerus just wasn't very scary because he's so rail thin and sickly looking. Even Kid Buu, the other skinniest villain, was pretty frightening ways, but Beerus didn't hit the same mark. (still a pretty decent movie though)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pureauthor posted:

Even with Super Buu the strongest versions of him have him looking noticeably slimmer than his initial appearance.

Not really? I mean he's the same body type he's just got a shirt now.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

They look pretty similar to me, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Gotenks-Buu is the best one. I hated how big the head-tail got by the end. Was that his pseud-SSJ3 hair?

• Locked thread