Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

TheMaestroso posted:

- Luke, after witnessing or learning of these events, hides Rey away on Jakku (probably with an old friend/ally) and goes into exile.

max von sydow's character is probably the friend/ally, which might explain why he's holding the data that he gives to poe in the opening. what little we know about sydow's character is that he was associated with a "church of the force" on jakku so it makes sense that she might have been dropped off there by luke and he was given the data to hold onto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Samara posted:

Rey's theme is a really good song. Don't know why the sound track gets such hate.

Yeah on re-watch the new themes are actually quite good. Kylo Ren's theme is distinctive, and the New Republic/Poe Dameron theme is appropriately regal, military and bombastic. It's not as catchy as the original trilogy stuff, but its still quite good.

The other thing I realized on rewatch: The new Stormtrooper helmets are too big. It makes them look stockier than they did before.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 23, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

D&D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L9io-b9Uew

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Hollismason posted:

R2D2 having the map makes sense because he's a astro droid so Luke maybe used him to chart his course.

This is what is explained in the film. The map is his flight path to the first temple.

Obstacle2 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 23, 2015

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I think the big reveal of the next one will be that Rey is Ben's sister, not Luke's daughter.

It just makes way to much sense.

- They are pulling from the EU pretty heavily with the kids angle ( just rewriting it to not be as terrible ), and hey, where did the EU go. Oh yeah, Jacen and Jaina.

- The trailers/promo images have them in line in almost every way. Their weapons are aligned in the movie poster, they are wearing similar headgear in similar facial shots, just Rey is in white, while Ben is in black.

- Multiple times Ben taunts Rey by claiming she never got to know her father.

- She learns how to be a Jedi/Sith by watching Ben. Every time they interact, she watches him and learns from him. Despite their differences, he's still her teacher in pretty much every way. One of the plot points of Star Wars is that force sensitive twins are basically conjoined in more ways then most, which would explain why she's able to learn so quickly from fighting him.

- She's on the same planet as the Falcon, which Han didn't even seem to know was there. Why would he not know where his ship was? He's not that busy/absentminded to lose the FALCON. She's also comfortable with the Falcon. Luke's kid wouldn't be comfortable with the Falcon as a lineage thing, but Han's? Hell yes they would.

- The big bonus/flaw of this series is that it needs to expand on everyone in it. If Luke was getting busy enough to have a daughter, we'd have met the mother at some point during Awakens. Nobody could fit the tab. If she had random parents, we'd have heard something of them. Instead it's a big nothing, which means we already know both parents. Han/Leia still fit the bill right there. They aren't going to/can't really just introduce a mother figure into the next movie, and only give her a movies worth of development ( well they could, but it's something Star Wars doesn't really do. )

- A big focal point of the series is redemption. Everyone can be redeemed except for the truly awful big bads who don't care. Even with killing Han, Ben will get a redemption chance in the movie. His cousin trying to turn him back to the Light? Not a very effective one. His SISTER forgiving him and trying to turn him? Well that's a pretty effective redemption arc, ain't it. With Han gone, she's the only one left in the setting that can properly "redeem" him, outside of maybe Luke.

"The Force runs strong in our family" is true. Leia is his sister though, so Rey is still a part of that very force sensitive legacy if she's a Solo, just as much if she's a Skywalker.

My guess is, after Ben turned, Luke decided to do everything he could to protect Rey/didn't want Snoke to turn her as well since they'd have shared a force bond, so he wiped everyone's memory to forget about her, and hid her/the Falcon on Jakku where she'd be safe. It's why Han didn't even realize where the Falcon was, because Luke hid it from him, along with Rey. Hell, maybe he got lucky as well, and when wiping Rey's mind, it also hit Ben so he forgot about her. Then he went into hiding/shame because he just ruined his sister/best friends family forever and couldn't really live with himself anymore because of it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Honestly, I thought she was his sister the entire movie for whatever reason.

Apparently one of the teasers had Luke already saying she was his daughter or something? They removed it from the movie..

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur

Philthy posted:

Apparently one of the teasers had Luke already saying she was his daughter or something? They removed it from the movie..

This was apparently spliced together from dialogue in ROTJ.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Rookersh posted:

- She's on the same planet as the Falcon, which Han didn't even seem to know was there. Why would he not know where his ship was? He's not that busy/absentminded to lose the FALCON. She's also comfortable with the Falcon.

Han mentions the six or so hands the Falcon went through prior to getting her back thanks to FInn and Rey. There's no reason to think that Rey and the Falcon sharing a planet are directly connected unless the junk dealer is somehow in on it in some way. Also, you don't need her to be a Solo for her to understand the Falcon systems. She knows the modifications and systems likely from interacting with the junk dealer and checking it out herself as an adult - she's a scavenger, after all.

quote:

Luke's kid wouldn't be comfortable with the Falcon as a lineage thing, but Han's? Hell yes they would.

What are you talking about? Anakin and Luke were both very talented pilots. It makes just as much sense for her to be their descendant on Luke's side as on Leia's or Han's. (though I'm not convinced that's the case, either)

quote:

My guess is, after Ben turned, Luke decided to do everything he could to protect Rey/didn't want Snoke to turn her as well since they'd have shared a force bond, so he wiped everyone's memory to forget about her, and hid her/the Falcon on Jakku where she'd be safe. It's why Han didn't even realize where the Falcon was, because Luke hid it from him, along with Rey. Hell, maybe he got lucky as well, and when wiping Rey's mind, it also hit Ben so he forgot about her. Then he went into hiding/shame because he just ruined his sister/best friends family forever and couldn't really live with himself anymore because of it.

This sounds like really dumb decision for Luke to make (and also rather hosed up). Making everyone forget her doesn't actually help Rey, but hinders her if she happens upon any of them (which she does). Also, what's this nonsense about a "force bond"?

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Mike N Eich posted:

The other thing I realized on rewatch: The new Stormtrooper helmets are too big. It makes them look stockier than they did before.

Yup, very stocky. And they look like (Disney) ducks.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Wank posted:

Yup, very stocky. And they look like (Disney) ducks.

they werent exactly majestic war machines before, what with the running into doors frames and tripping over eachother and whatnot

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
luke wipes the minds of his sister and friend so they can forget they have a daughter, but lets them remember and suffer and drift apart when their son goes to the dark side??

you got one thing right that does sound like a story from that garbage pile called the expanded universe to me

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 23, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Did anyone notice the two stormtroopers in once scene with helmets that didn't have eye or mouth slots? The faces were basically flat.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

enraged_camel posted:

Did anyone notice the two stormtroopers in once scene with helmets that didn't have eye or mouth slots? The faces were basically flat.

snow troopers

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I went over this the last time someone was putting out rey being han's daughter. Why do neither Han nor Leia even hint that they have another kid? If half the reason they felt Ben fell to the dark side is them sending him away, why would they dump their daughter on an imperial world?

With how open they are about Ben, it makes no sense at all that they leave literally no hints that Rey could be theirs.

I can see the argument for Luke's daughter or Obiwan's granddaughter, but the han/leia option just seems like there needs to be something in the pile of stuff they actually say to have that be legit and there isn't.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

different divisions have different helmets depending on what theyre doing, you're probably thinking of the flamethrower trooper.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Luke wiping everyone's memories of one of Han and Leia's kids sounds like a really lovely plot point that it would be hard to explain. Jedi are notoriously dickbags and bad at fixing problems but that's taking it a little far, even for them.

Joke option - she's Qui Gonn's great-great-whatever granddaughter. When she's "taken" again in ep8, force ghost Qui Gonn has a very particular set of skills.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

They were snow troopers standing below the speaker. They have a very narrow eye slit and the helmet hid it.

I liked Hux. He seemed young and a complete fanatic. The fanatics are always the ones that pull something insane though that causes a ridiculous amount of damage putting them down.

I really hope she's unrelated. The galaxy is a big loving place, can't we just move on to new people?

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Movie was bad. Was too flashy, fast paced and gag-heavy. Also hella unoriginal with way too many characters.

I'm no fan of the prequels, but at least they were new stories. The Force Awakens is insultingly unoriginal.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

speng31b posted:

Luke wiping everyone's memories of one of Han and Leia's kids sounds like a really lovely plot point that it would be hard to explain.

Sounds like it'd fit right in then.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

oh man, I'd thought that dumb Max Landis tweet was just a one-off thing until I looked at youtube today and was recommended his multi-video tantrum over getting called a dumbass :ughh:

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

I have a theory. I assume it's been brought up. I think I hate it.

1. Snoke is Darth Plagueis. (an already popularish theory)
2. When his force creation, Darth Vader, is killed, he decides it's time to reveal himself and try again.
3. He creates Rey -- arguably a "sister" of Vader's. Luke finds her/senses her. Is able to spirit her away from Snoke/before Snoke can get to her.

This explains Rey's affinity to both the Skywalkers and the force without the need to explain a Luke-daughter or Leia-mind-wipe. On the other hand, it forces them to bring up the prequels-that-must-not-be-named.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

At this point I'm pretty much assuming everyone showing up and claiming the movie is terrible is trolling. Saying that the prequels were an original story is..uh.. tipping your hand? The plot for those is "Palpatine starts a war, takes over the government, and kills the jedi", which is all talked about in the original trilogy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ZypherIM posted:

At this point I'm pretty much assuming everyone showing up and claiming the movie is terrible is trolling. Saying that the prequels were an original story is..uh.. tipping your hand? The plot for those is "Palpatine starts a war, takes over the government, and kills the jedi", which is all talked about in the original trilogy.

Palpatine doing all that isn't mentioned in the OT at all.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

ZypherIM posted:

The Prequels were completely new movies which told (albeit poorly) new stories. The Force Awakens is just A New Hope with modern special effects, way too many characters and action sequences which felt like they were designed and planned solely for the inevitable future video games.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

To be honest, I don't really follow why a treasure map to Luke even existed, if no one else knew where he went and he didn't want to be found. To me that's kinda the primary plot hole of the film (rather than inconsequential science stuff like "Why doesn't time dilation happen?").

The MacGuffin gives everyone motivation, but it feels too cute and convenient. I think even a slightly more indirect approach (scraping together leads on where he might be rather than clean-cut fragments of a precise GPS route) would have worked so much better.

I guess my take was a little different on it, I didn't think it was a map made by Luke at all, but rather a map leading to the first Jedi Temple which is where Luke was headed/searching. R2D2 had the map info because Luke used him to compile map information he used but it was incomplete because when Luke finally gets the last piece he probably just up and left everything behind without using R2 to stitch in the last part.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That's as may be, but I'd prefer a good re-telling to a poor original story. In my opinion, The Force Awakens is the former.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Can people please read that really good Q/A article that provides answers for the most common questions using the cannon visual guide/books released so far. It's been posted several times already me

That way we don't keep hearing the same dumb poo poo about Snoke being tiny like Yoda, or weird fan fiction histories about the characters to justify why Ray is Han/Luke's/obiwan/palpatine's kid.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
It wasn't even that good though. It just felt really hollow, as if when making the movie they were just ticking off a checklist of references/focus grouped things which had to be included while not thinking about whether or not any of it was really necessary.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Can people please read that really good Q/A article that provides answers for the most common questions using the cannon visual guide/books released so far. It's been posted several times already me

That way we don't keep hearing the same dumb poo poo about Snoke being tiny like Yoda, or weird fan fiction histories about the characters to justify why Ray is Han/Luke's/obiwan/palpatine's kid.

Ahh well yes according to this *pushes glasses up on nose* officially sanctioned disney Star Wars movie ticket I have on my desk the movie started on 2:00pm last sunday and ended a few hours later. Star Wars is now over, this is Disney sanctioned canon, all this silly discussion like it still exists is super dumb.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Hmmmmm, why does this thread exist.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

thatfatkid posted:

It wasn't even that good though. It just felt really hollow, as if when making the movie they were just ticking off a checklist of references/focus grouped things which had to be included while not thinking about whether or not any of it was really necessary.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but I disagree. This movie felt like it was made by people who could barely contain their love for Star Wars. If the movie has a major flaw, it's that. There's just too much that they wanted to say and do, to the point that a lot of things got a bit lost in the shuffle. It's frustrating, because it feels like this movie was a few script revisions away from being really great.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Like, why are there separate threads for people who've seen the movie and people who haven't, at this point? What do people who haven't seen the movie have to talk about? The ads? The toys?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This thread is about TFA, the other thread is now about the prequels.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

thatfatkid posted:

Yes, but have you considered that literally none of that matters?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Spaceman Future! posted:

Ahh well yes according to this *pushes glasses up on nose* officially sanctioned disney Star Wars movie ticket I have on my desk the movie started on 2:00pm last sunday and ended a few hours later. Star Wars is now over, this is Disney sanctioned canon, all this silly discussion like it still exists is super dumb.

I didn't say to stop discussing the movie. It's just silly that we keep hearing "hey guys, I've got this novel idea about Snoke. I bet he's 3 feet tall". When we actually know a good deal about what his CG character is gonna look like (he's very tall).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

thatfatkid posted:

After Phantom Menace et al alienated a poo poo ton of fans, Disney needed to create something that attracted them back. And the best way to do that is with references.

That said, the movie easily stands on its own feet. There are many thematic similarities, but also many differences. They also showed they aren't afraid to kill off the old characters. Han is gone. I wouldn't be surprised if Leia/Chewbacca or even Luke died as well in the next movie.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

computer parts posted:

Palpatine doing all that isn't mentioned in the OT at all.

Well, you've got the clone wars that the jedi fought in, you've got the fact that vader and the emperor killed them off, and the completion of the death star giving him enough clout to dissolve the senate implies that the strength of his position used to be shakier. That is all in ANH as well. I guess him starting the wars to gain power isn't really in there, but it isn't exactly a crazy idea that when I saw it I went "oh wow that originality". The idea of someone creating or utilizing a war or other big event for personal political gain is a pretty common story thread.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Spaceman Future! posted:

bringing "balance" to the force consisted of slaughtering basically everyone, the measured and manufactured juxtapositions between normal emotional states as warring enemies rather than naturally occurring states of mind has led to the complete slaughter of one side or the other every single time. The light vs the dark is a civil war, they are both the force, no one is winning. The only way past that is for someone to finally get it into their head that the division isnt necessary and all this extremism is just getting force users killed. Luke knows that just as well as anyone at this point.

The Jedi having failings does not somehow magically make the Dark Side not evil. The Sith, and the Dark Side, are still literally space Satan dude. If you're expecting the sequel trilogy to redeem the Dark Side and champion the EU vision of the Force I uh...I wouldn't hold your breath. Especially since some of the run up material to Force Awakens talks about the First Order looking for the "source" of the Dark Side beyond known space, based upon the teachings of Palpatine. I think it's pretty safe to say the Dark Side is not a legitimate part of the Force. It's loving evil yo, always has been.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

enraged_camel posted:

After Phantom Menace et al alienated a poo poo ton of fans, Disney needed to create something that attracted them back. And the best way to do that is with references.

That said, the movie easily stands on its own feet. There are many thematic similarities, but also many differences. They also showed they aren't afraid to kill off the old characters. Han is gone. I wouldn't be surprised if Leia/Chewbacca or even Luke died as well in the next movie.

Disney could have created a movie where all the characters are literally walking talking piles of poo poo and as long as they called it Star Wars people would still go see it. You don't have to literally recreate the original to get people to want to watch Star Wars. It's insulting to essentially remake/reboot A New Hope while pretending that it's not a remake/reboot.

Also lol at using Han Solo dying as them not being afraid to kill of characters. He was the Obiwan Kenobi analogue of course he was going to die.

Phylodox posted:

There's just too much that they wanted to say and do, to the point that a lot of things got a bit lost in the shuffle. It's frustrating, because it feels like this movie was a few script revisions away from being really great.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I feel like I'm definitely falling for the trap but how can TFA be fundamentally flawed (an ANH remake) and a few script revisions away from greatness

• Locked thread