Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

thatfatkid posted:

Disney could have created a movie where all the characters are literally walking talking piles of poo poo and as long as they called it Star Wars people would still go see it.

Would they have nearly 600 million dollars opening weekend gone to see it? Because that's really all Disney cares about. They spent billions getting the rights to Star Wars, and they want it to pay off in a major way. And so far it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Spoeank posted:

I feel like I'm definitely falling for the trap but how can TFA be fundamentally flawed (an ANH remake) and a few script revisions away from greatness

I was agreeing that the movie would have been significantly improved if the script were more refined. i.e. cutting and merging characters

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

thatfatkid posted:

I was agreeing that the movie would have been significantly improved if the script were more refined. i.e. cutting and merging characters

Cut and merge who?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Spoeank posted:

I feel like I'm definitely falling for the trap but how can TFA be fundamentally flawed (an ANH remake) and a few script revisions away from greatness
If they cut Han Solo, Leia, Chewie, it would have been better. Ren killing Han had no effect on me or the story. It was an attempt to make Ren edgy and he was already cringe worthy. Like I said before, this film is rooted in its time. Loving parent killed by spoiled Millennial, a modernization of Christ's betrayal.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

computer parts posted:

Palpatine doing all that isn't mentioned in the OT at all.

Actually yes it is. In ANH there is a line specifically about how the republic won't be an issue anymore as the emperor has dissolved the senate and regional governors will control their territories. Obi-Wan also tells Luke how Darth Vader hunted down and killed the jedi.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Cut and merge who?

Reafinn, a black female lead who don't take no sass from no one!

temple posted:

If they cut Han Solo, Leia, Chewie, it would have been better. Ren killing Han had no effect on me or the story. It was an attempt to make Ren edgy and he was already cringe worthy. Like I said before, this film is rooted in its time. Loving parent killed by spoiled Millennial, a modernization of Christ's betrayal.

Why did you watch a movie in a series you clearly don't understand and actively dislike?

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 23, 2015

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

zen death robot posted:

I took it as Skywalker wanted to be found by the right person at the right time, not be impossible to find.

He put the map in r2 with the force, and set him to trigger when the force awakens.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Motto posted:

oh man, I'd thought that dumb Max Landis tweet was just a one-off thing until I looked at youtube today and was recommended his multi-video tantrum over getting called a dumbass :ughh:

That sounds funny, link it.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

ok this was not as funny as I imagined it's just obnoxious. I do NOT recommend clicking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWRg5fddADw

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Boogaleeboo posted:

Cut and merge who?

Merge:
Finn + Pilot Guy
Shiny Stormtrooper + Grand Moff Tarkin v2.0

Cut:
Big Spooky lovely CGI Oldman/Baby Thing
CGI Yoda with Glasses
One or Both groups of gangsters Han Solo screwed
Old dude at the start

Those are just the new characters. Leia, Luke, R2D2 and C3PO didn't need to be in the movie at all either.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
After having watched ANH, ESB, ROTJ in the last two days... I don't feel like I just watched TFA. Movies were different except on the most superficial level. Like if you don't actually remember them but have iconic images stuck in your head, then sure, the iconic images were similar. Then again, the movies are 40 years old, and were repressed in China. There are a ton of younger folks, and like all of the Chinese that need to be read into the setting. If having a throw away set piece being Starkiller base is the price of getting everyone read in, then whatever. Especially since the plot was about Rey confronting Ren and understanding how to confront him, with the Starkiller blowing up as an aside in the background.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

thatfatkid posted:

Disney could have created a movie where all the characters are literally walking talking piles of poo poo and as long as they called it Star Wars people would still go see it.

Probably true. But if it sucked, audiences would get pretty cautious about Rogue One, Episode 8 and all of the other stuff they have planned.

If the prequels had never happened they would have a lot more slack, but they did happen and they sucked. If Force Awakens wasn't a critical success, Disney would have been in serious, serious trouble. They have to make 4 billion in profit on the license before they break even.

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur

thatfatkid posted:

Merge:
Finn + Pilot Guy

If you hate fun you should start your posts with that and save everyone a lot of time.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

ChesterJT posted:

Why did you watch a movie in a series you clearly don't understand and actively dislike?
I like the parts when Han Solo did the old man scurry from the tentacle monsters and then when he walked real slow over rocks while shooting people to avoid breaking his hip.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

temple posted:

If they cut Han Solo, Leia, Chewie, it would have been better. Ren killing Han had no effect on me or the story.

The central theme of the legacy of the original trilogy characters is somewhat lessened when none of our leads actually meet any of the original trilogy characters until the last few seconds.

thatfatkid posted:

Merge:
Finn + Pilot Guy

So Han Solo 2.0 rather than a well meaning but largely useless waif. I'm sorry, wasn't one of your complaints how much it was a paint by numbers retread of the original trilogy? Your first fix is to make another character Han Solo?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

thatfatkid posted:

Merge:
Finn + Pilot Guy
Shiny Stormtrooper + Grand Moff Tarkin v2.0

Oh they're gonna merge, all right.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
People who dont understand why Disney had to do what they did to reestablish the Star Wars foundation by making a lite remake of ANH are oblivious to anything other than their niche desires for something they were never ever ever ever going to get.

From a Hollywood producing stand point this was literally the only way to restart Star Wars and you are seriously ignorant if you think otherwise. Given who theyve hired for the next films, you can bet your rear end Disneys going to let them do their own thing(mostly). So just enjoy the fact they brought back the vibe of Star Wars we all remember and save your insufferable nitpicking for the next films.

"Hey guys lets spend 4 billion on a franchise fans have been crying over for 16 years being ruined by its creator and totally like go for something risky because like....art, bro." - Disney execs.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 23, 2015

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

AccountSupervisor posted:

People who dont understand why Disney had to do what they did to reestablish the Star Wars foundation by making a lite remake of ANH are oblivious to anything other than their niche desires for something they were never ever ever ever going to get.

From a Hollywood producing stand point this was literally the only way to restart Star Wars and you are seriously ignorant if you think otherwise. Given who theyve hired for the next films, you can bet your rear end Disneys going to let them do their own thing(mostly). So just enjoy the fact they brought back the vibe of Star Wars we all remember and save your insufferable nitpicking for the next films.

They didn't "have to" do anything. Some people don't like it when sequels are extremely similar. You don't need to come up with some stupid justification to defend disney.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Does anyone have a non-blurry picture of the completed map? I'm curious if it points anywhere interesting like the Starkiller being Ilum.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

The idea that this was literally the one and only way to reboot star wars effectively is loving hilarious.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I am genuinely baffled by the Mary Sue complaints. Like, I don't wanna pull this canned argument, but is it literally just because Rey's a girl? Because she doesn't do anything more spectacular than Luke or - hell, ANYONE in a mainstream action movie - the only difference is her gender. Look at Captain America, aka Perfect Human Steve Rogers played by Perfect Human Chris Evans. What about John McClane, who's just some pissant cop caught in a bad situation who somehow manages to take down an entire building full of terrorists? Like, I just don't get it.
And she has more imperfections than any of them, too. She's preoccupied with living for other people, rather than herself (having an ascribed identity is one of the major themes in TFA that distinguishes it from ANH), she botches the breaker bypass and releases the squid-monsters, she repeatedly misses when firing her weapon because she refused to listen to instructions, she fucks up her first few attempts to use the Force, and gets captured by Ren with ease.
And as for her duel with Kylo, people say that it's unrealistic that she beat a fully-trained Sith Lord, despite the fact that:
1. Kylo is not a Sith
2. Kylo isn't fully trained (Snoke EXPLICITLY says this)
3. Kylo's an unstable, petulant poser
4. He was gut-shot from Chewie's bowcaster, which the movie used no less than five times previously to show how it puts holes in people
5. He was limping and bleeding from said wound
6. He was emotionally hosed up about killing his father
7. He sustained a few injuries against Finn
8. Rey was already proficient at melee combat, hence why she wielded the lightsaber like her staff, which is a style Ren wouldn't be used to fighting against.
9. Rey MIGHT be another Skywalker heir, or at least someone who was trained in the Force as a child.
10. There was a loving planet exploding.

Like, people are really grasping for straws on this one. I don't even feel like I'm making an "In Defense of Rey" post, because these Mary Sue claims make literally no sense. Can somebody summarize what Max Landis's arguments are, so I don't have to watch his lovely video? I thought he was kinda cool when he was on Half in the Bag, but even there I could see him talking out his loving rear end by saying that they misinterpreted his disses on Twitter, and that he was calling out the industry rather than their opinions. This is 100% bullshit; he straight-up dismissed their opinion in one of his tweets because they gave a positive review to the Hobbit movies. gently caress that guy.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 23, 2015

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Amethyst posted:

They didn't "have to" do anything. Some people don't like it when sequels are extremely similar. You don't need to come up with some stupid justification to defend disney.

4 billion dollars isn't a stupid justification.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Amethyst posted:

They had to get the absolute cookie cutter basic Star Wars formula down in a modern blockbuster context. Thats it.

Im not "defending disney". Im "being realistic because this is how poo poo works".

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Boogaleeboo posted:

4 billion dollars isn't a stupid justification.

Thank you. Hopefully we won't have any more immature, insufferable idiots with niche concerns in here who don't understand that making money is important.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

They had to get the absolute cookie cutter basic Star Wars formula down in a modern blockbuster context. Thats it.

Im not "defending disney". Im "being realistic because this is how poo poo works".

Then why do you care if people complain about it?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Amethyst posted:

Then why do you care if people complain about it?

Because what the gently caress did you expect?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Great username + post combo.

I totally understand your point though, especially with a revival film like this. I still hope Rian Johnson takes it in a more novel direction next time, though, especially now that the characters are established. But honestly, from the way this one was written, it kinda feels like they have a basic idea of where the plot's going for the next few films, and it set up quite a few mysteries that will undoubtedly lead to SOMETHING NEW, which should be exciting regardless.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Because what the gently caress did you expect?

???

You made a really butthurt post about it dude. If you aren't even going to try and justify your behavior i'm going to say you're defending disney.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Beefstew posted:

I am genuinely baffled by the Mary Sue complaints. Like, I don't wanna pull this canned argument, but is it literally just because Rey's a girl? Because she doesn't do anything more spectacular than Luke or - hell, ANYONE in a mainstream action movie - the only difference is her gender. Look at Captain America, aka Perfect Human Steve Rogers played by Perfect Human Chris Evans. What about John McClane, who's just some pissant cop caught in a bad situation who somehow manages to take down an entire building full of terrorists? Like, I just don't get it.
And she has more imperfections than any of them, too. She's preoccupied with living for other people, rather than herself (having an ascribed identity is one of the major themes in TFA that distinguishes it from ANH), she botches the breaker bypass and releases the squid-monsters, she repeatedly misses when firing her weapon because she refused to listen to instructions, she fucks up her first few attempts to use the Force, and gets captured by Ren with ease.
And as for her duel with Kylo, people say that it's unrealistic that she beat a fully-trained Sith Lord, despite the fact that:
1. Kylo is not a Sith
2. Kylo isn't fully trained (Snoke EXPLICITLY says this)
3. Kylo's an unstable, petulant poser
4. He was gut-shot from Chewie's bowcaster, which the movie used no less than five times previously to show how it puts holes in people
5. He was limping and bleeding from said wound
6. He was emotionally hosed up about killing his father
7. He sustained a few injuries against Finn
8. Rey was already proficient at melee combat, hence why she wielded the lightsaber like her staff, which is a style Ren wouldn't be used to fighting against.
9. Rey MIGHT be another Skywalker heir, or at least someone who was trained in the Force as a child.
10. There was a loving planet exploding.

Like, people are really grasping for straws on this one. I don't even feel like I'm making an "In Defense of Rey" post, because these Mary Sue claims make literally no sense. Can somebody summarize what Max Landis's arguments are, so I don't have to watch his lovely video? I thought he was kinda cool when he was on Half in the Bag, but even there I could see him talking out his loving rear end by saying that they misinterpreted his disses on Twitter, and that he was calling out the industry rather than their opinions. This is 100% bullshit; he straight-up dismissed their opinion in one of his tweets because they gave a positive review to the Hobbit movies. gently caress that guy.

Basically Max is full of poo poo as usual and didn't really pay attention while watching the movie. He thinks Rey is overpowered and Finn is a pointless character but also claims that he things "chicks" (sic) "look cooler doing things than men" and really wanted a bad rear end female Jedi lead but i guess not the one we got. He also claims the character arcs ended where they started. Basically, as usual, the guy's an idiot and doubles-down on his arguments after becoming the target of a twitter hate storm; the guy's a Sith basically - he feeds on your anger and hatred.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Noam Chomsky posted:

Basically Max is full of poo poo as usual and didn't really pay attention while watching the movie. He thinks Rey is overpowered and Finn is a pointless character but also claims that he things "chicks" (sic) "look cooler doing things than men" and really wanted a bad rear end female Jedi lead but i guess not the one we got. He also claims the character arcs ended where they started. Basically, as usual, the guy's an idiot and doubles-down on his arguments after becoming the target of a twitter hate storm; the guy's a Sith basically - he feeds on your anger and hatred.

Recast Max Landis as Kylo Ren.

gently caress, what if he's actually, literally SNOKE.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Boogaleeboo posted:

So Han Solo 2.0 rather than a well meaning but largely useless waif. I'm sorry, wasn't one of your complaints how much it was a paint by numbers retread of the original trilogy? Your first fix is to make another character Han Solo?

Umm no... The Pilot Guy's character doesn't do anything to further the plot that couldn't have been given to Finn to do.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

thatfatkid posted:

Umm no... The Pilot Guy's character doesn't do anything to further the plot that couldn't have been given to Finn to do.

The version of the movie in your head doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the jj abrams one, tbh

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Amethyst posted:

???

You made a really butthurt post about it dude. If you aren't even going to try and justify your behavior i'm going to say you're defending disney.

I work in the film industry at a major film studio and even in the low low level position Im in its hilarious watching people like you who just dont get really obvious things as to why Disney did what they did with TFA. Im not saying you have to like it, but dont act like it was a stupid decision in any way shape or form. Disney doesnt give a poo poo about "Some people who dont like similar sequels", they give a poo poo about "can we make Star Wars, Star Wars again?". Now do the math.

Seriously, if Ep 8. is a lite remake of any of the other films I will happily be here complaining with you.

Im not defending Disney I just had my expectations in line. I just cannot possibly imagine them having taken any other route.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 23, 2015

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I work in the film industry at a major film studio and even in the low low level position Im in its hilarious watching people like you who just dont get really obvious things as to why Disney did what they did with TFA. Im not saying you have to like it, but dont act like it was a stupid decision in any way shape or form. Disney doesnt give a poo poo about "Some people who dont like similar sequels", they give a poo poo about "can we make Star Wars, Star Wars again?". Now do the math.

Seriously, if Ep 8. is a lite remake of any of the other films I will happily be here complaining with you.

"Big studios exist to make money" isn't a revelation to anyone dude. That is hardly insider knowledge. That doesn't mean it isn't valid to complain when they find a sequel unimaginative. No one needs to "do the math", and you don't need to defend huge corporations.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

I think Rey catches an inordinate amount of flak from corners of the internet because TFA has her as essentially the main protagonist instead of it being more of an ensemble, or her being the Leia successor; having a girl being the lead in your space opera nerd movie is, I think, obviously going to generate idiotic, only-vaguely-veiled sexism. Rey is not that distractingly gifted by the narrative.

What bothers people about Rey in a more justified sense, to me, is how abrupt everything in the loving movie feels, and consequently Rey doesn't really "earn" her achievements in a satisfying way, narratively. Rey accidentally letting the monsters loose is a mild fuckup; Luke almost got crushed in a garbage disposal. Rey watched an old guy she knew of as a smuggler legend die; Luke had a guy he presumably knew for a while (and who was giving him the coach treatment on his Special Destiny) atomized in front of him. Rey gets to mind-trick a stormtrooper without any observed Force training; Luke doesn't even attempt a mind-trick until the third movie. Rey beats Kylo in a lightsaber duel in TFA, the Vader analogue; Luke has to do what amounts to a feature-length training montage with Frank Oz before he tries to duel Vader, and he gets his poo poo wrecked for his efforts.

The actual reasons depicted in the story for these events occurring matters less than you think it does - the end result is that Rey gets a lot more powerful than the character whose role she effectively inherited, and does it way too quickly. Pulling the saber to herself over Kylo, and the mind-trick, are the only things that I find myself agreeing with Rey-bashers on - they're sort of egregious, and the movie doesn't need those scenes to work. My gut feeling is that JJ knew nerds might inherently resist a ~girl knight~ as the main protagonist of this new trilogy, so he tried to sell her to us too hard. I don't think you lose anything at all in TFA if Rey can't mind-trick, can't "Force pull," and doesn't outright win her lightsaber duel with Kylo. The movie's basically the same; she just doesn't feel quite so powerful yet.

A lot of it also has to do with the Jedi context, I guess. Like this is a big deal in this universe, to the point where their (the Jedi) elimination was both terrifying and crippling. If rando people could just ~lol mindtrick~ because they've got power levels or whatever, the rest of the setting starts to unravel, and Star Wars is already pretty threadbare.

The other main problem it creates is that unless Kylo Ren straight up whips some rear end in Episode VIII, Rey has very little room to grow. She flies the goddamn Millennium Falcon and beat the "main" bad guy in a swordfight already, and we still have two more movies to go. Where do you go from here as Rey?

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Amethyst posted:

The version of the movie in your head doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the jj abrams one, tbh

If it were up to me the movie would be completely different storywise. I'm just suggesting changes which would have made this forgettable movie better imo.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Amethyst posted:

"Big studios exist to make money" isn't a revelation to anyone dude. That is hardly insider knowledge. That doesn't mean it isn't valid to complain when they find a sequel unimaginative. No one needs to "do the math", and you don't need to defend huge corporations.

Yeah also my point was that it is not at all insider knowledge and complaining that TFA was a retread is like complaining that sugar is sweet. As far as Hollywood mega-producing, this was pretty much the only safe bet and they would have been insane to have taken another route.

Yeah, it would have made a gajillion dollars still, but they are still trying to make a movie that is at least genuinely liked by general audiences so "safe" was their best bet.

My point is that you are complaining that a megacorporation is acting like a megacorporation and Im telling you "Yeah, no poo poo, probably should have expected that and you might have enjoyed this more." :shrug:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Yeah also my point was that it is not at all insider knowledge and complaining that TFA was a retread is like complaining that sugar is sweet. As far as Hollywood mega-producing, this was pretty much the only safe bet and they would have been insane to have taken another route.

Yeah, it would have made a gajillion dollars still, but they are still trying to make a movie that is at least genuinely liked by general audiences so "safe" was their best bet.

My point is that you are complaining that a megacorporation is acting like a megacorporation and Im telling you "Yeah, no poo poo, probably should have expected that and you might have enjoyed this more." :shrug:

Your assertion that Star Wars HAS to be formulaic is just dull dude. I liked the movie but come on. The Empire Strikes Back was a star war sequel that took plenty of risks. I don't even agree this one was entirely forumlaic ffs, Kylo Ren is an interesting character, very different to Vader.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

That still doesn't excuse or justify a boring, non-creative and soulless movie for being boring, non-creative and soulless.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The single biggest marketing challenge facing Disney is convincing people that brand new Star Wars movies can still feel like they belong on the same shelf as the original trilogy. Everything they have on their calendar for the next few years of Star Wars, main series and spinoffs alike, depends on TFA affirming that. If that means the movie has to start on a desert planet and end on a planetoid space station, welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The basic idea of the crew going on an adventure to find Luke is a good one. But then you have this awful retread of the Starkiller base, with no real sense of space or weight to the fights outside of the confrontation with Kylo. The X-wing attack is lifeless and just takes away from what we actually care about. You could have had act III take place practically anywhere with the same consequences.

• Locked thread