Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Caved and bought Horizons, it ended up screwing up my controller bindings :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I've been using my T-16000Ms for quite a while and one of the triggers has become faulty. I took it apart and the trigger uses a lever to press on a tactile switch. I have been holding the trigger down hard in the heat of battle and it warped the inside of the inside of the switch. It still works but the tactile click and the electrical switching action don't happen at the same spot anymore.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The sound design is so drat good in this game.

I know for serious PvP you might want to use mumble for comms, but tooling around in a wing the inbuilt voice comms is fine and the way quality changes depending on the condition and heat of the ships involved is great.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Kind of want in on this but the number of negative reviews on steam is disconcerting.

I did love elite 2, freelancer and x3 though and i have an x52.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
A lot of the bad reviews on steam are Star Citizens trying to rain mud on what they perceive to be their biggest competitor.

I got Horizons when it came out and while I can see myself losing interest in the game when the ship treadmill ends (which, considering I'm in a Good Small Ship when the scale goes up to semi-capital class ships, will be a while) I've had a lot of fun. The game is mostly a pretty chill 'drink a beer/listen to a podcast' time burner but peaked with heart pounding moments of tension when you bite off more than you can chew in combat/are rushing to finish trade missions before they expire/warped inbetween two suns and have to burn out before you burn up.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Falken posted:

Kind of want in on this but the number of negative reviews on steam is disconcerting.

The steam reviews seem to be from people who've invested heavily in Star Citizen?

Issues with the game are mainly that you have to find your own fun - there's no plot and it does drop you in at the deep end, especially if you don't do the training missions.

If you do get it, join the Diamond Frogs and we'll point you in the general direction of fun. (Fun may involve ramming or touching scoops).

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Falken posted:

Most of the negative reviews on Steam can be attributed to angry Star Citizen fanboys and people pissed at the price of the Horizons season pass.

So here's what Elite does have:

* Great flight model - space combat is actually engaging and fun.
* Immersive graphics and sound design - every ship looks, feels and sounds different to fly.
* Incredibly huge universe - we have a realistically-sized galaxy. poo poo's whack, yo.

Here's what Elite doesn't have:

* Super-polished content - many of the game mechanics still lack polish. Things improve with every patch but you do see people (maybe rightfully) complaining about the depth and/or lack thereof of the game.
* Plot - There's no 'campaign' and what plot the game has is mostly conveyed through (optional) newsfeeds and such. It's very much a sandbox game and if you want a more in-depth plot you may be disappointed.
* Massive multiplayer battles - It's a huge galaxy and most people play in their own little circles. If you like the idea of WoW-style 'raids' you need to find a player group who arranges that sort of a thing.

If you think you'll have fun with it, I think it's very much worth picking up.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Falken posted:

It's a good game if you like doing spaceman stuff in spaceships in space, at your own pace, and don't need a story to keep you entertained. Though there is a background story regarding the various factions, that's told through news articles, and which ties into "community goals" where everyone can sign up to shoot stuff/explore/go space trucking, with the end result determining things like who controls a specific system and such (and also you get paid a lot). The combat is really fun, the sound is great, it's relatively scientifically accurate, has nice graphics, and you can explore the entire milky way and land on planets (only those without an atmosphere for now) and do sick jumps in a space buggy, so if that sounds cool, you might love the game. And you also get to look forward to cool stuff like planets with atmospheres and life, an FPS expansion, crew members, expanded crafting, etc.

Many of the negative reviews are clearly from insane, impossible to please nerdlings, as well as Star Citizen cultists, who seem to view Elite as an evil competitor or something. To be fair, there are plenty of bugs, mission structure is pretty shallow, the lack of a normal plotline to follow is a major turn-off for some, and due to being a work in progress it can feel empty, incomplete, or repetitive at times. It's not a perfect game, and not everyone will like it of course, but a lot of those reviews are hilariously one-sided/exaggerated/full of BS.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is it just me or are Federal Dropships in RES's like insanely difficult to kill?

Yeah, the changes coming with 1.5/Horizons realy breathed life into the Federal line of ships.

Yesterday evening, when I was doing stuff with my Diamond Frog-wing, fighting Federal ships sometimes felt like pelting a rock with small pebbles. There's something amazing about a Federal Brick Ship just tanking several Vultures (and one Imperial Eagle) full blast for what felt like minutes.

Still, the best was when several Federal Corvettes decided they didn't want us there anymore and chased us off (well, mostly me). On our last run I literally escaped with 1% hull left on my Iggle. :v:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

* Massive multiplayer battles - It's a huge galaxy and most people play in their own little circles. If you like the idea of WoW-style 'raids' you need to find a player group who arranges that sort of a thing.

I got hung up right here. I've heard rumor of clans getting together and managing to out-roll the instancing monster to get 19-20 people into an Instance but I myself have never actually seen more than 12 or so in an instance. In a year, that's been only once, when we rolled out after spotting a known idiot and dropped an 11 man group on him while he was RES hunting in a conda.

Calling them "massive" might be a bit of a overstatement.

Libluini posted:

Yeah, the changes coming with 1.5/Horizons realy breathed life into the Federal line of ships.

Yesterday evening, when I was doing stuff with my Diamond Frog-wing, fighting Federal ships sometimes felt like pelting a rock with small pebbles. There's something amazing about a Federal Brick Ship just tanking several Vultures (and one Imperial Eagle) full blast for what felt like minutes.

Still, the best was when several Federal Corvettes decided they didn't want us there anymore and chased us off (well, mostly me). On our last run I literally escaped with 1% hull left on my Iggle. :v:

Was in a haz res with a goon last night, my FDL, they were in a Clipper and I stumbled across a wing of 5. 4 FAS/FGS and a Python. I promptly turned around and flew the other way immediately.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

year199X posted:

Oh jeez, I feel bad for the people bothering to scan planets 200,000LS+ away from the entry point then.

Well, it's still worthwile if it's an Earth-like, a black hole or anything else like that.

Also you're doing good: Everyone who comes after you will feel incredibly relieved after seeing your name on those planets and realizing there's now no real reason to travel over there. :v:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Falken posted:

The reviews for Horizons got flooded by Star Citizen fanboys, the top voted negative review is even by someone with a Star Citizen game name and logo for their profile. They are trying to manufacture outrage about Frontier charging for the yearly expansions when most of the people who play the game don't see it as a bad thing as it doesn't split the community in any way and anyone coming in new gets all previous stuff.

Frontier said this was how they were going to do the yearly content expansions all the way back in the Kickstarter days and it's pretty fair and makes a lot of sense, the alternative would be a subscription fee but this way you decide if the new content is something you want. SC fanatics are latching onto it to try and create controversy by spinning it in the most negative way possible.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 23, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Libluini posted:

I unfortunately lost my Vulture in the same encounter - protip: don't fly to the rescue when you're still waiting for your shields to come back and you're out of chaff. You can't hull tank that many plasma blasts.

Total blast though with our various near escapes and coming back to station in various states of wreckage and broken canopies.

Oh yes, the first time your canopy goes is one of the true 'WTF!' moments in gaming. The sound goes weird, you hear your pilot's breathing and you get a scary count down for the amount of time left on your life support and you lose your HUD on the broken section of canopy.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Angrymog posted:

The sound design is so drat good in this game.

I know for serious PvP you might want to use mumble for comms, but tooling around in a wing the inbuilt voice comms is fine and the way quality changes depending on the condition and heat of the ships involved is great.
I really love the in-game voip, though have they got PTT to work properly? I tend to just use the Mic on/off toggle and haven't really had a chance to try out voice comms (or play at all) in the past few days.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

radintorov posted:

I really love the in-game voip, though have they got PTT to work properly? I tend to just use the Mic on/off toggle and haven't really had a chance to try out voice comms (or play at all) in the past few days.

I also just use the on/off slide switch on my headset's remote. Works okay for me, I've only forgotten once that I had turned my mic off and was left wondering why nobody was paying attention to me. :v:

nippythefish posted:

tbh if I spent $150,000 on a game like this fool claims to have done, I'd be convincing myself pretty hard about its quality as well.

dude probably had custom-made SC bedsheets made and poo poo.

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies? :corsair:

Stelarch
Jan 20, 2013

This seems relevant to the discussion:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Stelarch posted:

:golfclap: Doing god's work.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Stelarch posted:

He would fly a loving Viper.

Also, I <3 your AV. That series of games needs a reboot.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

LCL-Dead posted:

I got hung up right here. I've heard rumor of clans getting together and managing to out-roll the instancing monster to get 19-20 people into an Instance but I myself have never actually seen more than 12 or so in an instance. In a year, that's been only once, when we rolled out after spotting a known idiot and dropped an 11 man group on him while he was RES hunting in a conda.

Calling them "massive" might be a bit of a overstatement.

Drake_263 posted:

Here's what Elite doesn't have:

* Massive multiplayer battles -...

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I can feel a bit of space madness coming on, but before I lose myself in the great empty void between the stars, is there a way to see what systems have already been explored just from the galaxy map?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

I blame my poor reading comprehension on 3 hours of sleep and no coffee. My apologies.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Peepers posted:

I can feel a bit of space madness coming on, but before I lose myself in the great empty void between the stars, is there a way to see what systems have already been explored just from the galaxy map?

No, but as long as you make a few zigs and zags on your way out of the bubble, 1500 LY from Sol you will find maybe 1 in a thousand systems that has already been explored. You'll find tiny pockets of explored stuff in and around tourist attractions, though.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

HiroProtagonist posted:

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and tell lies? :corsair:

5/7% :crossarms:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Stelarch posted:

Speaking of Chris Roberts, my first ever death in this game was fighting an anaconda (piloted by Croberts) that was already in combat with cop conda and getting so excited that I boosted right into it. That was my first venture into RES too.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Does this poo poo have autopilot yet or is this still a game about paying attention to a loading screen?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Does this poo poo have autopilot yet or is this still a game about paying attention to a loading screen?

It throttles you to 0 if you come out of jump and the window isn't in focus.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

LCL-Dead posted:

I blame my poor reading comprehension on 3 hours of sleep and no coffee. My apologies.

Apology accepted! We've all had nights like that. Or weeks..

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zigmidge posted:

It's still a game about flying a spaceship, yes.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Zigmidge posted:

:nallears:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
OH MY GOD

IF YOU MAKE A FEMALE CHARACTER
AND LOOK DOWN

THERE ARE BOOBS

MY BOOBS

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

You make a character in this? Haha I totally forgot :v:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Ciaphas posted:

You make a character in this? Haha I totally forgot :v:

You chose gender i think and that's it. But i made the only good choice. The choice with boobies.

ARE JIGGLE PHYSICS ON THE ROADMAP!?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dongattack posted:

You chose gender i think and that's it. But i made the only good choice. The choice with boobies.

I just hope the character creator allows us to make horrifying subhumans which is far more fitting for the average goon anyways.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dongattack posted:

Why do you think they spent so much time getting those bobble heads working?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Space Skeleton posted:

Frontier said this was how they were going to do the yearly content expansions all the way back in the Kickstarter days and it's pretty fair and makes a lot of sense, the alternative would be a subscription fee but this way you decide if the new content is something you want. SC fanatics are latching onto it to try and create controversy by spinning it in the most negative way possible.
For what it's worth, I'm not completely sold on their annual $60 update fee, depending on how much they actually add each season. I'm hoping next season is finally the big revamp of missions and events that undeniably pushes the game from "make your own fun" to "just plain fun for everyone." The same goes for pricey skins and bobbleheads, although at least with the new ones, they finally seem to have challenged their artists to do more than paint bucket fill red/blue/purple/yellow/gray/other gray.

That doesn't mean the Star Citizen fanatics aren't :rolleye:, but there's a little more to it than, "All complaints are a conspiracy."

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

FronzelNeekburm posted:

For what it's worth, I'm not completely sold on their annual $60 update fee, depending on how much they actually add each season. I'm hoping next season is finally the big revamp of missions and events that undeniably pushes the game from "make your own fun" to "just plain fun for everyone." The same goes for pricey skins and bobbleheads, although at least with the new ones, they finally seem to have challenged their artists to do more than paint bucket fill red/blue/purple/yellow/gray/other gray.

That doesn't mean the Star Citizen fanatics aren't :rolleye:, but there's a little more to it than, "All complaints are a conspiracy."

That's the point, if you're not into the stuff Horizons adds you don't have to get it, you're not penalized in any way and can still play with everyone no matter if they do or do not have it. If the new content doesn't appeal to you then it's not a big deal, you can skip it. They do have to keep the lights on, developers employed and servers running somehow, can't run the game on one-time purchases and nothing else so that's where the expansions and skins come in.

The reviews thing doesn't have to be a conspiracy, just a lot of people who have become emotionally invested in their spacegame being better than another spacegame. So they have to go prove it in player reviews by leaving negative ones and upvoting the negative ones to the top. It's not very subtle.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 23, 2015

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Hit the Far Rim at 65k from Sol. Pretty much can't route past the spiderweb at this point.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I just hope the character creator allows us to make horrifying subhumans which is far more fitting for the average goon anyways.

I'm still torn on this creator thingy. On one hand, I'd love to make some sort of small, dainty Elf because the idea of something like a Keebler-Elf blasting guys apart with huge space ship guns makes me grin like an idiot. On the other hand, gently caress erasing my save, so I'm kind of hoping they allow multiple (or at least one additional) save slots.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I own a lifetime expansion pass so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How do you suss out profitsssssss and favorable trade routes using in game resources? I'm looking move on from missions and i found a ca 1 year old tutorial that used the http://elitetradingtool.co.uk/, but it doesn't have any data for my region of space apparently plus it feels kinda cheaty.

• Locked thread