Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Double Post time, bunch of stuff is on sale right now on Steam: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fighters/comments/3xvpnb/steam_fighting_games_sales/

SG is $3, GG is $2.50, MK9K is $5, VP is $2.50, there's a couple more there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
What is a good first 3D fighter? There's not much of a scene for them in my area, so I guess I'm mostly asking about a good game to learn the ropes online with. I've been playing 2D fighters for a couple of years but I wanna try something new. I'd prefer an answer that's available on Steam, Wii U, or PS3 (in that order), but I fully recognize I need to upgrade my hardware.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
Wait for gigamaidens imo

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

it is posted:

What is a good first 3D fighter? There's not much of a scene for them in my area, so I guess I'm mostly asking about a good game to learn the ropes online with. I've been playing 2D fighters for a couple of years but I wanna try something new. I'd prefer an answer that's available on Steam, Wii U, or PS3 (in that order), but I fully recognize I need to upgrade my hardware.

Tekken Tag 2
DOA5:LR

The best is VF but unless you know one of the 5 ancient japanese players who have played forever you won't find any games online. :(

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Tekken Tag 2

The best is VF but unless you know one of the 5 ancient japanese players who have played forever you won't find any games online. :(

DOA5:LR is currently half price on Steam too.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Which of those KoF games on sale right now would y'all recommend I get as an introduction to the franchise?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

VigilantePrime posted:

Wait for gigamaidens imo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if i wanted to get into old 2d fighters on fightcade is a laptop with some ROMs all i would need? i don't have a good pc and it would be connecting on a wifi network - am i gonna have a bad time?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Neo Helbeast posted:

Double Post time, bunch of stuff is on sale right now on Steam: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fighters/comments/3xvpnb/steam_fighting_games_sales/

SG is $3, GG is $2.50, MK9K is $5, VP is $2.50, there's a couple more there too.

Some dece games here, too bad I own them all already. French Bread needs to get its rear in gear and get UNIEL and Melty on steam already

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

giogadi posted:

Which of those KoF games on sale right now would y'all recommend I get as an introduction to the franchise?

98 on fightcade for free

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Some dece games here, too bad I own them all already. French Bread needs to get its rear in gear and get UNIEL and Melty on steam already

I think Arcsys announced they'd be out by this coming summer.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

giogadi posted:

King of Fighters XIII Steam Edition is rad and was the best looking fighting game until Xrd came out

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FanaticalMilk posted:

I think Arcsys announced they'd be out by this coming summer.

are they doing ps4 versions?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

are they doing ps4 versions?

UNIEL was just on sale on PS4 recently

edit: oh my bad, that was ps3

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fozzy fosbourne posted:

UNIEL was just on sale on PS4 recently

really? i could have sworn the psn page i saw earlier this week only said ps3 in the "playable on" section. guess i hosed up

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

“How do we get more people playing KI?”

By releasing it on a not-terrible platform.

That said, even the PC release is Windows 10 only so I won't even bother getting that.

If it helps, win10 ain't terrible.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

win 10 is fine

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

will they make you buy the game from the win 10 app store instead of steam? that would be pretty dumb

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

will they make you buy the game from the win 10 app store instead of steam? that would be pretty dumb

probably, but it's not a huge deal

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Tekken Tag 2

Awesome, I'll check those out

Neo Helbeast posted:

DOA5:LR is currently half price on Steam too.

This is a very good thing to know

Thanks guys :D

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

giogadi posted:

XIII. It has lots of resources for learning and people still play online. Or, 98 on fightcade.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Windows 10 is great then it updates and breaks poo poo.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Speaking of dumb Microsoft stores, is there even a way to download your GFWL games? The button on the client just throws a 404 page at me.

My point is MS shouldn't be trusted with your digital game dollars

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

Speaking of dumb Microsoft stores, is there even a way to download your GFWL games? The button on the client just throws a 404 page at me.

My point is MS shouldn't be trusted with your digital game dollars

good thing KI is f2p

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

giogadi posted:

KOF 98 on steam can be useful as a training mode for the fightcade one if you are worried about just jumping in. It has training modes for both the UM and non-UM versions.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

good thing KI is f2p

Free 2 Pray

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I was thinking about Yatagarasu and how much of a gently caress it it is today lol

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
is there a yomi thread

contemplating whether or not to pick it up on steam

heard it was good

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Yomi's great but the thread is dead. See?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

General Morden posted:

is there a yomi thread

contemplating whether or not to pick it up on steam

heard it was good

Yomi's okay. It's not actually a card-based fighting game, it's a fighting-themed card game. The difference is that you can't get topdecked in fighting games, and it's very possible to arbitrarily not have access to basic options in a card game.

The frustrating bit of Yomi is that playing randomly will get you way further than randomly mashing in real fighting games, because randomly mashing in real fighters doesn't make you block or throw (and Yomi lacks frame advantage since every hand basically goes back to neutral).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I love that this is the only Christmas costume in the game and for some reason it's just a random color palette for Chipp

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Guys, I tried using only low jab in the Yakuza 5 port of Virtua Fighter 2. I was told it was the best move but I keep losing. Pls help.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Anonymous Robot posted:

I love that this is the only Christmas costume in the game and for some reason it's just a random color palette for Chipp

13 is the xmas palette for everyone

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

TheManSeries posted:

Guys, I tried using only low jab in the Yakuza 5 port of Virtua Fighter 2. I was told it was the best move but I keep losing. Pls help.

I just played Akira at the easy difficulty arcade machine and mashed jab forever. It takes a couple hours I found because dudes like Lion will gently caress that strategy up but it'll work on most of the cast. It's just a few dudes as blockades.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Amateurs.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
If you're not using Jeff you're a loser.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
http://www.twitch.tv/segaofjapan

revelator

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
So, I'm going to make an effort to actually learn fighting games in 2016 and as part of that, I figured I'd pick up a decent stick. Can anyone clarify the difference between the TE2 and the S+/2+ that are marked as coming out in February on the MadCatz store? Is there any benefit to waiting until February and getting either?

Also, drat, Amazon UK doesn't have the PS TE2 going for anywhere close to RRP, it's like 150% of the price of the Xbox one for some reason, and I wanted to use some of the voucher money I had lying around to make my wallet hurt less. :(

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Lemon Curdistan posted:

So, I'm going to make an effort to actually learn fighting games in 2016 and as part of that, I figured I'd pick up a decent stick. Can anyone clarify the difference between the TE2 and the S+/2+ that are marked as coming out in February on the MadCatz store? Is there any benefit to waiting until February and getting either?

Also, drat, Amazon UK doesn't have the PS TE2 going for anywhere close to RRP, it's like 150% of the price of the Xbox one for some reason, and I wanted to use some of the voucher money I had lying around to make my wallet hurt less. :(

The te S± is an old style TE, meaning it doesn't have a hinge on it, and has a plexiglass window on the bottom instead.

The TE2 has a hinge so the case opens up easily for parts switching, and you can store odds and ends in there as well. Also has a removable cable.

The 2+ is the same as the 2 except it has some extra controls - l3, r3, and the ps4 TouchPad which don't exist on the other sticks.

They're all fantastic sticks so just pick whichever one you like best in your budget range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is the doa5 pc port actually worth if I have a ps4?

• Locked thread