Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Though getting exposed to SC by actual evangelists does explain why you were hoping to find a reason not to spend money on that dumpster fire and I'm glad you decided to go for kung fu titty instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

SC still needs funding because of the massive scope creep though - with that said encouraging anyone to spend money on it unless they have a lot of spare change lying around is pretty idiotic.

I don't think I understand the citizen narrative here completely. Is CIG absolutely fine, having secured more than enough funds for fully developing the game? Or are they struggling due to unfair media attention, in desperate need of the community's wholehearted support?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Star Citizen is going to be bigger than GTA5 and have more to do so it needs more money

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

skaboomizzy posted:

I'm tempted to try the Lesnick Triathlon.

I could possibly pull it off given a few hours and thin-crust pizzas. I'd need a couple days of living clean first, though; lots of water and fiber, no booze, etc. That last one's a stickler.

Terribly sorry for the slow reply, but if you're still game for trying your hand at this, by all means, I'm happy to fund the attempt. Just let know when you'd like to try, and how best to fund the endeavor.

Also, found an excellent track to use for Star Citizen videos, parody or otherwise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZuI3ZkCHfs About the 35 second mark is the money parp.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I don't think I understand the citizen narrative here completely. Is CIG absolutely fine, having secured more than enough funds for fully developing the game? Or are they struggling due to unfair media attention, in desperate need of the community's wholehearted support?

They have secured enough funds to develop the BDSSE, but sadly due to the unfair media attention they need a last shove from the community to fight off the vile attacks and release what everyone has dreamed of in 2 weeks.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Leaked images of the new procedurally generated planets, plus new NPCs.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
This bears repeating.

Because it's too loving perfect not to.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Mr.Tophat posted:

This bears repeating.

Because it's too loving perfect not to.

TheDream.gif

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Star citizen : I don't wanna be molested, end of story.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

What is rule 3? Does it limit how many crap posts you can make per day or something?

Guy complains about piracy like a giant baby for the whole thread then says that real life piracy has more serious consequences and the mods are like "he's stepped over the line, we must act!"

Chalks fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 23, 2015

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

This is perfect and you have no clue why.

Dreams... dreams will happen

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bait and Swatch posted:

These should summarize what others didnt cover

Cat Roberts with that sweet jpeg money

Lesnick cat finding goons on the forums

cat reads brown sea comments from article on star citizen

cat watches sc live stream

cat watches croberts play his game

Cat that was a kitten when DSmart first promised a lawsuit*

now youre all caught up

*lawsuit is only 2 weeks away

That was beautiful. You sir, are today's winner of the Internet

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Fugitive Alien 1 & 2 were better movies

Fugitive Alien is an awesomely dumb movie. Also, glad you did not eat yourself to death.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Star Citizen: ... I Will Feel Grief.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Jobbo_Fett posted:

If you want a shlocky space movie with super people and fighting and back acting, go watch Fugitive Alien 1 or 2 (or do both!).

Just watch the MST3K version, you aren't missing anything with the original cut.

Edit: Think about it this way. You could watch a movie with Pilgrims or a movie with STAR WOLVES

Space Mutiny would like a word with you ;)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

2DCAT posted:

Space Mutiny would like a word with you ;)

Nobody is excluding Reb Brown, actor extraordinaire, from being someone you want to watch.

I'd rate FA 1&2 as better movies, but SM has Reb Brown Big McLarge Huge.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Why the gently caress would you want to walk in any game?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

serious norman posted:

Why the gently caress would you want to walk in any game?

Because in Saints Row 2(?) and 3 you could show off your swagger. Pimp walk + pimp cane is a combo even Snoop Dogg would be proud of.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

I died.

Then I woke up.

In the Wing Commander movie.

Running for my life.

Then I died.

Again.

This.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

That's...like totally messed up.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HapiMerchant posted:

Something happened to me today that really caused an epiphany as to why I can't stand SC or its fans, personally. my job is, at the moment, making a lot less sales then it currently should be. as a result, i'm getting less hours then normal, so making ends meet is a bit hard right now. My friend comes to me today to tell me about the Freelancer or whatever the latest jpeg fotm is, and basically says something along the lines of "well, me and [group of friends] have all grabbed a ship, or two, or 14, why don't you?" So i patiently explain that right now I'm a bit focused on paying bills, and making sure my GF and close family have some minor presents from me first, before I look to buying anything for myself, much less something that isnt an actual game but what amounts to an IOU of a game. My friend essentially accuses me of being a complete mouthbreathing retard who can't see that Star Citizen is "a better investment then actual stocks or bonds" and insists that I should refund the presents I bought my GF and family and invest in "at the very least, a Mustang".

TL;DR I have terrible friends and SC is basically an actual cult, the evidence of which did not truly hit me until I interacted with a Cultizen in real life.

I think you have confused "enemy" and "friend" there, buddy.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

So he's supposed to be sat down and making a cool entrance on his swivelly chair ,But the physics are screwing it up? Wouldn't that be super easy to fix? And yet.........

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A good game designer knows what is essential to retain in order for the player to be immersed, and what is just a hassle and a time steal.

Good flight models and well-implemented physics are essential for immersion. ~High-fidelity~ unskippable animations to get up, sit down, open doors, climb ladders etc are a hassle and a time waster. They look impressive the first time, then the next time the player will be banging on his keyboard to skip them. Walking everywhere? Hoo boy. I'll admit, I've tried to do that in MMOs or RPGs to "roleplay" a bit. It's fun, for like 10 seconds and then you realize that you are walking for the sake of walking in a goddamn videogame and you start sprinting to get where you need to be to actually play the game and have fun.

Point is, Crobberts and his fans are incapable of distinguishing between the two.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Iglocska posted:

SC still needs funding because of the massive scope creep though - with that said encouraging anyone to spend money on it unless they have a lot of spare change lying around is pretty idiotic.

But they haven't actually come out and said that so all everyone has to go is the word of Chris Roberts according to whom they had enough funding around $65M and the game is feature complete. I don't think he ever retracted that in any way so the cultizens took it upon themselves to desperately keep the money rolling because although they will never admit it they know Croberts is not being open with them :v: and this whole house of cards can easily come crashing down if they stop feeding money into the furnace.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

This is just what they'll use to save face and justify to themselves and others why they kept going with it despite knowing Croberts was more than a little deceiving at times. He was forced to by the envious Derek Smart and his horde of goons starting a hate campaign to trick people with FUD into asking for refunds. It's not that they were suckers that kept following a liar despite their growing concerns, if it weren't for those darned kids Croberts would have made the BDSSE.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 23, 2015

Tullius
Dec 23, 2015
I've been lurking for a while on this thread and I want to say that cig really knows nothing about open development, other kickstarters do it far better.

The one that springs instantly to mind that I've backed is rimworld, the guy updates a changelog every day so u can see what he's been working on and even tho he's a one man band, still finds time to interact with the community

That includes answering concerns people have, not shutting them down.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Erenthal posted:

Leaked images of the new procedurally generated planets, plus new NPCs.

Cool, hadn't seen the concept art for the Banu yet. Not great but they do look better than the Vanduul.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Next thread title right here.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Show me where Chris touched you.

*Points to wallet*

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Hi, new guy here. Been trolling around this forum for a long time now; am I correct in assuming that this is the best vantage point to watch this virtual universe come to an end?

In keeping with SC's penchant for stealing Hitchhiker references, to me that makes SA "The Restaurant at the End of the 'Verse".

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

Hi, new guy here. Been trolling around this forum for a long time now; am I correct in assuming that this is the best vantage point to watch this virtual universe come to an end?

In keeping with SC's penchant for stealing Hitchhiker references, to me that makes SA "The Restaurant at the End of the 'Verse".

Very apt considering most of the best posts in the thread are recipes!

So many new people joining SA because of this thread, it's like the opposite of being a J4G. Welcome!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Google Now suggested to me a pretty cool article about what indie devs (and a couple of bigger devs) would do with Star Citizen's 100 million.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citizen/what-would-the-best-indie-developers-in-the-world-do-with-star-citizens-100-million

quote:

"Sim Death Star"

Cliff Harris, Positech Games - Democracy series

"100 million dollars? How about making 'Sim Death Star', where every single texture of the entire structure has been lovingly textured with 4K textures, and everything all of the stormtroopers on the station say has been voice acted.

"Failing that, I'd buy a huge area of de-forested rainforest and plant new trees in the outline of the Klingon empire logo, so it could only truly be recognised from space.

"Or I'd buy a full copy of Star Citizen."

---

"What I hoped Spore would be"

Gary Chambers, Introversion Software - Prison Architect

"I have a whole lot of game ideas rattling around in my head and a lot of them tend to be a bit overly ambitious to work on solo. I also don't have much skill when it comes to art or sound production, so if I had that kind of money I'd probably hire a bunch of incredibly talented people to help me finish all the projects I've started over the years.

"The first project would be an idea I've had for a game about evolution, which would require you to survive as a species in an ever-changing environment. Something along the lines of what I hoped Spore would be, way back when."

There's a whole bunch more, quite a few of them are dumbfounded or practical including one guy who said you'd spend $50m for marketing and $50m to hire 138 people for 3 years (woops).
:gary:

Me and Harvey Smith have similar dreams for their ultimate game.

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 23, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Page 888 so lucky ah

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you printed the entire thread out, it would maybe come up to half the size of the SQ42 script!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

BU THE GAME DOES NOT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORKKK!!! AAAAAAHHHHH!!
This guy who says it's working needs to go and film himself "playing" this "game" and show me, categorically, how this game works.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

But they haven't actually come out and said that so all everyone has to go is the word of Chris Roberts according to whom they had enough funding around $65M and the game is feature complete. I don't think he ever retracted that in any way so the cultizens took it upon themselves to desperately keep the money rolling because although they will never admit it they know Croberts is not being open with them :v: and this whole house of cards can easily come crashing down if they stop feeding money into the furnace.
I'd be surprised if anyone thought that they would have enough money if funding stopped abruptly today, but hey, people believe in all sorts of mystical crap, so why would this be any different?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Apparently you need to be a Crytek Developer to understand how game work.

We're dangerously close to HOW IS BABBY FORMED

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Erenthal posted:

If you printed the entire thread out, it would maybe come up to half the size of the SQ42 script!

Probably better writing too.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

This guy who says it's working needs to go and film himself "playing" this "game" and show me, categorically, how this game works.

It works just fine if you are on your own, you can get consecutive playtimes of 30-90 minutes easily nowadays. Pretty shocking that this counts as an achievement though :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Apparently you need to be a Crytek Developer to understand how game work.

We're dangerously close to HOW IS BABBY FORMED

"You're not a games developer therefore I know better than you how it works!" - a guy who isn't a games developer either

• Locked thread