Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I liked the starkiller. Having trees and weather on it was cool, classic sci fi poo poo like ringworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Amethyst posted:

Your assertion that Star Wars HAS to be formulaic is just dull dude. I liked the movie but come on. The Empire Strikes Back was a star war sequel that took plenty of risks. I don't even agree this one was entirely forumlaic ffs, Kylo Ren is an interesting character, very different to Vader.

My god, Im saying it HAS to be from a "we really cannot gently caress this up we just spent $4bil on this IP and even though well automatically make a ton of money, legacy is pretty drat important and we need to hook a new generation so lets do a lite remake of ANH and we can explore new formulas later". Im saying IT MAKES SENSE.

Its not a sequel in the way you want it to be. Its for all intents and purposes a lite reboot of a franchise.

Like I said, if Ep. 8 is a retread, I would be pretty bummed and Ill be here bitching and moaning with you. For now, Im just happy we got what we got. Its about all I could have asked for after the travesty of most of the EU/prequels.

In other words,

Supercar Gautier posted:

The single biggest marketing challenge facing Disney is convincing people that brand new Star Wars movies can still feel like they belong on the same shelf as the original trilogy. Everything they have on their calendar for the next few years of Star Wars, main series and spinoffs alike, depends on TFA affirming that. If that means the movie has to start on a desert planet and end on a planetoid space station, welp.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 23, 2015

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

I think Rey catches an inordinate amount of flak from corners of the internet because TFA has her as essentially the main protagonist instead of it being more of an ensemble, or her being the Leia successor; having a girl being the lead in your space opera nerd movie is, I think, obviously going to generate idiotic, only-vaguely-veiled sexism. Rey is not that distractingly gifted by the narrative.

What bothers people about Rey in a more justified sense, to me, is how abrupt everything in the loving movie feels, and consequently Rey doesn't really "earn" her achievements in a satisfying way, narratively. Rey accidentally letting the monsters loose is a mild fuckup; Luke almost got crushed in a garbage disposal. Rey watched an old guy she knew of as a smuggler legend die; Luke had a guy he presumably knew for a while (and who was giving him the coach treatment on his Special Destiny) atomized in front of him. Rey gets to mind-trick a stormtrooper without any observed Force training; Luke doesn't even attempt a mind-trick until the third movie. Rey beats Kylo in a lightsaber duel in TFA, the Vader analogue; Luke has to do what amounts to a feature-length training montage with Frank Oz before he tries to duel Vader, and he gets his poo poo wrecked for his efforts.

The actual reasons depicted in the story for these events occurring matters less than you think it does - the end result is that Rey gets a lot more powerful than the character whose role she effectively inherited, and does it way too quickly. Pulling the saber to herself over Kylo, and the mind-trick, are the only things that I find myself agreeing with Rey-bashers on - they're sort of egregious, and the movie doesn't need those scenes to work. My gut feeling is that JJ knew nerds might inherently resist a ~girl knight~ as the main protagonist of this new trilogy, so he tried to sell her to us too hard. I don't think you lose anything at all in TFA if Rey can't mind-trick, can't "Force pull," and doesn't outright win her lightsaber duel with Kylo. The movie's basically the same; she just doesn't feel quite so powerful yet.

A lot of it also has to do with the Jedi context, I guess. Like this is a big deal in this universe, to the point where their (the Jedi) elimination was both terrifying and crippling. If rando people could just ~lol mindtrick~ because they've got power levels or whatever, the rest of the setting starts to unravel, and Star Wars is already pretty threadbare.

The other main problem it creates is that unless Kylo Ren straight up whips some rear end in Episode VIII, Rey has very little room to grow. She flies the goddamn Millennium Falcon and beat the "main" bad guy in a swordfight already, and we still have two more movies to go. Where do you go from here as Rey?

This is exactly how I felt about her. Not what I would classify as a Mary Sue, but enough Mary Sueish elements that it was a bit eye-roll worthy. Fortunately she was written in a way that made her fallible, despite some of the poo poo she pulls off that she "didn't earn", as you said.

Unrelated, but you know one moment I really loved? When Finn admits to Rey that he was a stormtrooper and that he lied about being in the resistance. Every other movie ever made ever would have had him keep it to himself until the critical moment where his deception is revealed, at which point Rey would tearfully exclaim "How could you lie to me? I trusted you!". They would then overcome this strain on their friendship thereby growing and aaaarrrrgh gently caress these tired rear end movie cliches. Bravo to the writers for avoiding that trap.

v v v v v holy poo poo

Unbalanced fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 23, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

An important Twitter for y'all to follow

https://twitter.com/KyloR3n

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

College neonazi Hux is my favorite part of these

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Most of the people upset about things like the basic structure of the movie and stuff need to really, really loving listen to what AccountSupervisor is saying. If you're trying to argue anything to what he is saying, you went into the movie with the wrong expectations, and that really hosed with your movie experience. When you saw the poster with a loving death star on it and a chick in a desert looking outfit and a guy in a black mask and directed by JJ, what were you thinking they were shooting for? I mean for fucks sake.

If that turns you off, fine, but if not they made a pretty great movie within that framework. Having so much of the new stuff work so well shows that they really cared about making a good star wars movie over shovelware.

Go look at how those elements that you KNEW were going to be there were actually used and tied together, and there are a lot of good character interactions and subverting of the things they pulled from the OT. They managed to get people to like most of the new cast (personally I liked them all and only felt Poe was the weak one..and he was originally supposed to die so there you go), put the old cast in a place that didn't feel wrong, and had the climax be all about the characters.

It was far better than the check-list of poo poo I was expecting, and I think the reason so many people are liking it is because it doesn't gently caress poo poo up and feels like star wars instead of a daytime soap opera with cgi. I mean the main 2 complaints I see basically boil down to "didn't realize it was clearly a light reboot/retread" and "I don't like how JJ Abrams directs movies". I guess there is a third that is basically "I don't like a black guy or chick in the lead spot instead of the side-kick spot".

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

ZypherIM posted:

If that turns you off, fine,

This should have been your entire post. If it's fine, why are you writing a novel about it?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Amethyst posted:

This should have been your entire post. If it's fine, why are you writing a novel about it?

If you put your dick in a fire and complained that it burnt you, people are entitled to say *both* "It makes perfect sense that you are unhappy the fire burned your penis." and "You are a loving moron for putting your dick in a fire". You don't get to go "If you understand why I'm complaining, why so many words?".

It's because you put your dick in the fire like a retarded person.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Boogaleeboo posted:

If you put your dick in a fire and complained that it burnt you, people are entitled to say *both* "It makes perfect sense that you are unhappy the fire burned your penis." and "You are a loving moron for putting your dick in a fire". You don't get to go "If you understand why I'm complaining, why so many words?".

Complaining about a movie on a forum isn't putting your dick in a fire, on any metaphorical level.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

Pulling the saber to herself over Kylo, and the mind-trick, are the only things that I find myself agreeing with Rey-bashers on - they're sort of egregious, and the movie doesn't need those scenes to work.

The mind-trick one feels like it could've easily been fixed by her just using the force to undo her shackles instead. I dunno, it's just weird my mental justification for it has to be "Kylo hosed up so badly that he actually accidentally taught Rey what a mind trick was."

And the saber one might've been better if her pulling the saber over to herself was the actual big moment, and Kylo just peaces out because she's stronger in the force than him at that point. I mean it'd make more sense if he saber somehow broke and they're both fighting over possession of the only functional saber but that just feels janky.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Just came back from seeing this for the first time. The guy quoted about the abrupt feelings nailed it. Like it wasn't that bad a remake/reboot, it was just cut horribly. It just kept jumping from place to place, there were never any scenes like the original cantina or Tatooine scenes. Yeah, jakku and whatever spacegranny bar were the standins but everything was rushed and fast and bustling and action. Lots of details, all wasted. Cool characters show up once or twice in 10 second flash clips, then disappear into the void (guess they chucked phasma down a chute?) Hey it's a hotshot pilot blam blam explosions welp now he's gone for like 40 minutes until HEY BUD NICE WORK GOOD TO SEE YOU CAN'T STAY LONG GOTTA FLASH IN AND OUT WITH THIS ASIAN GIRL THAT CAN'T ACT.
A movie paced perfectly for gungan shenanigans, a rare miss. I was gonna say some poo poo about kylo ren but @KyloR3n says it best. People say it's a remake of a new hope but i feel they captured episode 3 anakin very well too.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Chucat posted:

The mind-trick one feels like it could've easily been fixed by her just using the force to undo her shackles instead. I dunno, it's just weird my mental justification for it has to be "Kylo hosed up so badly that he actually accidentally taught Rey what a mind trick was."

And the saber one might've been better if her pulling the saber over to herself was the actual big moment, and Kylo just peaces out because she's stronger in the force than him at that point. I mean it'd make more sense if he saber somehow broke and they're both fighting over possession of the only functional saber but that just feels janky.
"Using the Force to destroy my restraints" would probably be read as even more "she's gonna be a Sith" than mind-tricking James Bond.

As for the latter, yeah, if Kylo Ren was a different character than the one in the film, that would make total sense. Darth Vader might have quit the field in the face of a fight he couldn't win, but his grandson is bugfuck crazy.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Boogaleeboo posted:

Implicit in this analogy is a) Disney decided to charge people $8 to stick their dicks in a fire and b) some people were expecting to put their dicks in a fire and therefore are perfectly satisfied with their dick-burning experience.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

OxMan posted:

Just came back from seeing this for the first time. The guy quoted about the abrupt feelings nailed it. Like it wasn't that bad a remake/reboot, it was just cut horribly. It just kept jumping from place to place, there were never any scenes like the original cantina or Tatooine scenes. Yeah, jakku and whatever spacegranny bar were the standins but everything was rushed and fast and bustling and action. Lots of details, all wasted. Cool characters show up once or twice in 10 second flash clips, then disappear into the void (guess they chucked phasma down a chute?) Hey it's a hotshot pilot blam blam explosions welp now he's gone for like 40 minutes until HEY BUD NICE WORK GOOD TO SEE YOU CAN'T STAY LONG GOTTA FLASH IN AND OUT WITH THIS ASIAN GIRL THAT CAN'T ACT.
A movie paced perfectly for gungan shenanigans, a rare miss. I was gonna say some poo poo about kylo ren but @KyloR3n says it best. People say it's a remake of a new hope but i feel they captured episode 3 anakin very well too.

Dude have you ever watched Star Wars! They cut to scene to scene really abruptly, there's tons of characters which seem cool but do nothing. It sounds like you could be describing the original series.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

guts and bolts posted:

I think Rey catches an inordinate amount of flak from corners of the internet because TFA has her as essentially the main protagonist instead of it being more of an ensemble, or her being the Leia successor; having a girl being the lead in your space opera nerd movie is, I think, obviously going to generate idiotic, only-vaguely-veiled sexism. Rey is not that distractingly gifted by the narrative.

What bothers people about Rey in a more justified sense, to me, is how abrupt everything in the loving movie feels, and consequently Rey doesn't really "earn" her achievements in a satisfying way, narratively. Rey accidentally letting the monsters loose is a mild fuckup; Luke almost got crushed in a garbage disposal. Rey watched an old guy she knew of as a smuggler legend die; Luke had a guy he presumably knew for a while (and who was giving him the coach treatment on his Special Destiny) atomized in front of him. Rey gets to mind-trick a stormtrooper without any observed Force training; Luke doesn't even attempt a mind-trick until the third movie. Rey beats Kylo in a lightsaber duel in TFA, the Vader analogue; Luke has to do what amounts to a feature-length training montage with Frank Oz before he tries to duel Vader, and he gets his poo poo wrecked for his efforts.

The actual reasons depicted in the story for these events occurring matters less than you think it does - the end result is that Rey gets a lot more powerful than the character whose role she effectively inherited, and does it way too quickly. Pulling the saber to herself over Kylo, and the mind-trick, are the only things that I find myself agreeing with Rey-bashers on - they're sort of egregious, and the movie doesn't need those scenes to work. My gut feeling is that JJ knew nerds might inherently resist a ~girl knight~ as the main protagonist of this new trilogy, so he tried to sell her to us too hard. I don't think you lose anything at all in TFA if Rey can't mind-trick, can't "Force pull," and doesn't outright win her lightsaber duel with Kylo. The movie's basically the same; she just doesn't feel quite so powerful yet.

A lot of it also has to do with the Jedi context, I guess. Like this is a big deal in this universe, to the point where their (the Jedi) elimination was both terrifying and crippling. If rando people could just ~lol mindtrick~ because they've got power levels or whatever, the rest of the setting starts to unravel, and Star Wars is already pretty threadbare.

The other main problem it creates is that unless Kylo Ren straight up whips some rear end in Episode VIII, Rey has very little room to grow. She flies the goddamn Millennium Falcon and beat the "main" bad guy in a swordfight already, and we still have two more movies to go. Where do you go from here as Rey?

Also losing to Nerdo Ren and then getting better at lightsabers by concentrating really hard, I guess?

The movie looked good, sounded good, the characters were likeable but none of the big moments felt earned.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How do we define "earned" here?

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
My bizarre and rambling extremely minor nitpicks/thoughts from the film:

So Luke's on Planet of the Stairs. Will Artoo's prequel comedy rockets come out again, or will he spend about a month going up each step v-e-r-y slowly? Or will Chewie carry him up or boot him out of the Falcon's ramp at the top? (Why didn't Rey get out at the top instead of going up a million steps? - answer - for that final helicopter shot)

Starkiller Base is basically a big fiery space anus.

C'mon Han. You've got captured in EVERY film now.

Han's NEVER had a go on Chewie's bowcaster in nearly 40 years together? Not even blasting a few space tin cans?

Do you think Luke has seen the footage of Anakin slaying all the kids in the Jedi temple (and then having all his students murdered in the meantime) - then Rey turns up with the instrument of mass-murder AND some seriously bad personal memories. What a gift! How overjoyed he must be to see that again.

The First Order don't have the love of sideburns the Empire did.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

am0kgonzo posted:

Also losing to Nerdo Ren and then getting better at lightsabers by concentrating really hard, I guess?

You mean like being some random poo poo-rear end water farmer concentrating really hard and suddenly being the best pilot that ever lived?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Nessus posted:

How do we define "earned" here?

If a character doesn't have a trait or defining element - and in our nerd space opera poo poo, that's almost interchangeable with "skill" or "power" - explicitly delineated as part of their backstory, they should probably not just randomly start displaying new traits or defining elements without some part of the story impacting that change. Forget Force powers - if Luke had been RotJ Luke (calmer, relatively stoic and reserved) during the Death Star's trench run with no lead-in, you'd be justifiably wondering how the gently caress that happened. Because it's a Star Wars movie, new powers and abilities are typically used as short-hand for character growth. Consider that Episode IV Luke is a hot-shot pilot who uses blasters almost exclusively and has his greatest triumph flying a space jet - he's a kid, he's kind of a jerk, and he thinks he's much hotter poo poo than he actually is. Episode VI Luke is confident in a way that doesn't need the bombast, uses his lightsaber almost exclusively, and not only doesn't destroy the second Death Star, I'm not actually sure he kills a single person in that movie, Stormtrooper or otherwise. He's grown. The mind-trick and the laser sword are surrogates for a subtler form of "this character has changed and is different now."

Luke got to become Episode VI Luke by almost getting crushed in a trash chute, then getting owned by a creepy monster in that trash chute, then being able to do nothing while his mentor died, then losing a decisive fighter battle on Hoth, then getting his fuckin' hand chopped off...

Basically, if the secret to changing as a character (or getting new powers) can be boiled down to "just, you know, try harder," it makes Luke's arc and journey - or really any character's arc and journey - totally moot and meaningless. If Rey had been on the Death Star, would she just have Force-pulled Obi-Wan out of the way of Vader's coup de grace?

I hate it when people speak for "the audience" as if it's some concrete organism, so I won't, but for me personally? I like it when my heroes and heroines triumph, yes, but it can't come cheap, if that makes sense - easy victories mean less implicitly, and if the narrative treats them as meaningful when they still looked easy, it breaks the suspension of disbelief.

Full disclosure: I loving loved Episode VII and I like Rey as a character. I just think JJ oversold us on his new character because he was worried that kids who buy action figures (boys I'm guessing?) would need to be sold pretty hard on "the wizard knight is now a girl." Rey is cool, but in Episode VII she feels dangerously close to the kind of character you'd see in a well-written fanfiction.net entry. Remember that she ends the movie flying the Millennium Falcon and having beaten the main bad guy in a sword fight.

Boogaleeboo posted:

You mean like being some random poo poo-rear end water farmer concentrating really hard and suddenly being the best pilot that ever lived?

This relates directly to my above point, though - Luke is already supposed to be sort of a hot-shot pilot, and his main lament in Episode IV is not that he sucks at flying or whatever but that he is literally not allowed to fulfill what he thinks of as his potential. He wants to stop being a dumb farmer and go be a sweet pilot, because his friend (who is totally not as good a pilot as Luke is) already fuckin' left Tatooine and yadda yadda. He knows enough about starships to know that the Falcon is a piece of poo poo, for example, which by all exterior accounts it is. He doesn't just concentrate really hard and become a good pilot. He already is one, so he doesn't need to earn that part of his character. Likewise, I don't mind at all that Rey can fix/alter the Falcon competently, because she's depicted as a scrapper and the movie told us "hey, yeah, she is a good pilot." Under normal circumstances, Rey's most bullshit achievement in the movie is positioning the Falcon in such a way that Finn can kill the TIE while his gun is jammed in a stationary position, but that didn't suck me out of the movie because I had already accepted that Rey was a badass pilot. It was information that sat in the back of my brain already. No problems.

When she is mysteriously mind-tricking people and out-Forcing Kylo Ren with the Force pull at the end of the movie, me - and several of the other moviegoers, if anecdotal evidence matters to you - were like "Wait, what?"

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Luke was basically Force Jesus. He never hosed anything up either except in ESB.

Which...y'know. Was the second movie.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

H13 posted:

Luke was basically Force Jesus. He never hosed anything up either except in ESB.

Which...y'know. Was the second movie.

Luke is actually pretty unremarkable in ANH except that he is pretty good at pretending to be a Stormtrooper for a while, and he uses the Force to make that cool shot at the end. (Some rando (and also some Lando) repeat this destroy-the-Death-Star trick in RotJ; are they also infalliable Force Jesuses?)

Then basically all of ESB is a net loss for the Rebels, Luke and Han especially. Luke spends most of the film isolated from his friends, trains with a little green rear end in a top hat, contends with nightmarish premonitions of his father, then gets his hand chopped off. So we're at two entire movies now where Luke's sole accomplishment is "blows up the first Death Star," which wasn't a solo (heh) effort and, again, is repeated without space magic in Jedi.

Rey, conversely, has already defeated the Vader analogue and is currently flying the franchise's most iconic ship, wielding the laser sword of the franchise's most iconic space wizards, in her first movie.

Stop trying to equate the two.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the "main characters" as billed in Star Wars movies tend to get the least actually accomplished until The Force Awakens, like in terms of actually doing stuff Obi-Wan has Anakin and Luke beat by a pretty wide margin

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 23, 2015

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

"Darth Vader had no father
I envy him"

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Luke is described as a hot shot pilot..on a planet on the rear end-end of the galaxy. With some bare bones talking he is able to block the blaster bolts blind, and by the end of the movie he is listening to a ghost and shooting a target by feel with the force that the leader of the flight group wasn't able to hit with his targeting computer. Those were mainly from "letting go"/"trust the force" things, not any huge training things.

Look at her oppoenent, Kylo. Throughout the movie he is shown to operate at two levels of skill and control based on his confidence, shown symbolically through if he is wearing his mask or not. He is fronting pretty hard, and when she resists his brain rummaging ability at all you can see him start to panic, and <force mumbo jumbo> plucks a thought from him which is probably pretty forefront in his mind. He literally runs from the room, that is how confident he is at facing another force user.

It isn't a giant stretch that after being told all the stories she has heard about jedi are true and that she seems to have some sort of juice, that she'd try out the signature call-back force move. Which takes her several tries to actually do. And she does just that once.

The lightsaber pull is pretty clearly for effect over <reasons>, but even there Kylo is anything but on his game, and confidence is at least half the game when it comes to basic force poo poo.

With the drastic differences shown in the two character's confidence in success (do or do not right?), it doesn't seem like a giant difference compared to crazy space fight with however much precision is required to hit that shot that luke pulls.

e: death star in rotj is half finished and they literally fly inside it, it isn't anywhere near the same shot.
Your ESB talk is pretty hilarious honestly. They pulled Luke way back in terms of him doing poo poo with the force compared to where you'd expect him to be a bit after ANH. Instead they give him some hang-ups about what he can actually do with the force, and they explore that. Stick to the movie where he isn't sitting in a swamp for almost the entire bit. He also kicks some rear end on Hoth but you skipped that.

Kylo is NOT the Vader analogue, he just wishes he could be and sometimes he can get close. If Rey was fighting opening scene Kylo, she would have gotten stomped. She wasn't though, because he has all sorts of problems with bringing his A game all the time, and losing confidence pretty much is shown to poo poo on your effectiveness with the force (ESB X-wing lift?). He also had a pretty massive handicap in terms of wounds. Kylo might get up to Vader's level by the end of the next movie. Stop trying to equate the two.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Boogaleeboo posted:

It felt more earned in New Hope because most of the movie had been about Luke's introduction into the Force with training, explanations, the death of his mentor, etc with that being the first meaningful use of his force powers in the movie and completing the first part of his development arc.

In Force Awakens Rey just figures out the force for herself and is already using it by the end of the movie, then in the climactic fight wins by shutting her eyes and concentrating for a few seconds.

I think they wanted us to think that she was really considering going dark side and that those moments of thinking and then fighting back were her rejection of the darkside and her whole-hearted acceptance of the light side. It had her face alternately illuminated by the flashing red and blue light sabers to represt the struggle over the sides and before she shut her eyes it seemed like she was kinda thinking about it for a sec. The thing is, I've got absolutely no idea why Rey as a character would consider it for a second or why we as the audience are supposed to seriously think she would.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I feel there's some discussion to have about lit every member of the order other than snoke being appearing under 35. Too young to really have lived under the empire.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Luke being a hot-shot pilot on a backwater desert planet vs. Rey being a hot-shot pilot on a backwater desert planet is a wash. The difference is that Luke is shown, explicitly, to make mistakes up to and including grievous defeat before "earning" his place as a powerful Jedi. He blocks the blaster bolts p. quick, yeah, and that's narrative bending to sell us on him as a protege, but he also gets shot the first time he tries to use the training pod. He also does not use the Force for anything else significant for the rest of the movie until the Death Star, let alone defeat Vader in a swordfight. The specifics of the events happening, again, are not important in the particular - what is important is that Rey's sudden and sharp increase in power feels unearned. I hate to keep comparing her to Luke, but let's be real - that's who she is. She's the new trilogy's Luke.

Luke:
a) was being coached on what the Force is and how to feel it/use it by one of the most badass Jedi to ever Jedi
b) is Anakin's kid and if midichlorians (lol) are related to the blood I'd imagine they're hereditary - you know what, gently caress this plot point, nevermind
c) takes three movies to get to where Rey already is

Rey:
a) has no clear mentor figure in Awakens at all; Maz Kanata? Han gruffly saying he doesn't hate her/offers her work on the Falcon? She has no teacher to show her a drat thing
b) is, as of now, "no one"
c) immediately inherits a bunch of iconic stuff, borrowing the "cool" factor from other established characters

The reason why you see so many comparisons drawn between Rey and the Mary Sue archetype isn't because of this dumb sperglord battle we're having about what specific space wizardry they were able to accomplish when; it's because Rey trades on nostalgia and is pretty obviously being "sold" to the audience, where Luke is just a character in a story. The fact that you think Luke and Rey have the same character arcs, or are equatable, or that Luke somehow comes off "better" in ANH than Rey does in TFA, is just bizarre to me.

Like, I get that Kylo Ren isn't Vader's level of capable, but that isn't the point. The point is that TFA is obviously an update/soft re-boot of ANH, and every character is essentially the inheritor to a previous character. Finn seems to be Han's successor (fast talker, decent with a blaster, roguish, good-hearted beneath veneer of cowardice/cunning), Poe seems to be a weird Wedge/Leia hybrid (captured but capable, ace pilot, critical to the Resistance/Rebellion), Rey is Luke, BB-8 is The Droids, Hux is Tarkin, and Kylo Ren is Vader. That's just how it is. At the end of TFA, Rey is flying the franchise's most iconic ship, wielding the laser sword of the most iconic wizards, having beaten the new trilogy's most credible threat - however weak you may find him personally! - in single combat. How is she supposed to grow from here?

Also, to continue to engage with the ticky-tack of what each character does in minutiae: Luke on Hoth does... what, exactly? He does the grenade-and-sword AT-AT thing and nearly gets killed by a Yeti. He isn't what you'd call a badass yet. And Luke on Dagobah is most of his character arc in ESB. What else are we supposed to focus on re: his badassery and Force Jesusness? Him getting wrecked by Vader and de-handed?

EDIT: ^^^^^ I think that's deliberate. The First Order being a legit neo-Nazi junta is evident in basically everything about them, from having a completely ineffective yet inexplicably clad in chrome Stormtrooper to having two whiny jerks seemingly in charge of the day-to-day operations of their army (Hux and Kylo Ren). They are young people adhering to a philosophy that pre-dates them by a generation or so, and interpreting it how they choose, probably to contend with and cope with the disenfranchisement they would otherwise be overwhelmed by; with the Empire gone and the Senate dissolved and the New Republic apparently so irrelevant they barely register a scene before being utterly annihilated, the galaxy seems like a pretty Detroit-circa-2011 place, in that there's no discernible governing bodies and whomever has the guns makes the rules

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 23, 2015

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

ShineDog posted:

I feel there's some discussion to have about lit every member of the order other than snoke being appearing under 35. Too young to really have lived under the empire.

I think that's the point. Like Kylo, they're essentially cosplaying the Empire as "more extreme"

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

guts and bolts posted:

I don't know. I heard an idea of Kylo going through a redemption arc, Rey's precociousness leading her down a dark path and Finns determination and optimism helping them all to salvation.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

gohmak posted:

I don't know. I heard an idea of Kylo going through a redemption arc, Rey's precociousness leading her down a dark path and Finns determination and optimism helping them all to salvation.

Rey at least temporarily turning to the Dark Side, or Kylo becoming a good guy to combat a larger threat, is the only real direction left to go in for VIII/IX. Unless Kylo gets his hyperbolic time chamber on and learns to go Super Saiya-Jedi 3, TFA essentially dispensed with him as a credible threat so that we could arrive at "Rey sure is capable, intshe?" in one movie rather than three. Unless, you know, he remembers that he can stop laser blasts mid-flight and freeze people in place for indeterminate lengths of time

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ughh what has Rey even done that is impressive? Mind tricked some weak rear end stormtrooper and beat up some little brat in a snowy forest? Wahoo. Luke Skywalker is responsible for murdering thousands upon thousands of people in the first movie. Dude is boss.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

I agree with this in its entirety.

Also, I get and agree that Disney pretty much had to make the film like this after the lovely PT. However, the film was too fast for me. I needed it slowed down just a bit; cram 10% less exciting poo poo in there and give us a little bit more of a breather after something exciting happens so it feels more impactful. I also adhere to the theory someone posted a while back about how scenes in spaceships during travel help create the sense of a vast universe.

All in all, I liked the film more than I thought I would when it was first announced. However, it does very much feel like the film equivalent of a child going "and then... and then... and then!" when telling a story to me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tfa took a huge huge risk making its leads a relatively unknown black actor and a relatively unknown woman. You can forgive them for hedging the risk a bit on other factors.

When is the last time a major franchise made its stars two young unknown actors one of whom is black.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I watched all of the movies when they came out (minus the original trilogy which was all at once) and thought about rewatching them all before diving into 7 but thought it would be interesting if I didn't- go in with ultra foggy memory and see if it stands on it's own.

It... felt like a okay popcorn flick, but a ton of things bothered me that I feel like if I looked back on I might have other examples of but the one I want to get cleared up on is Fin. From what I understood he was raised at birth to be a storm trooper, a murderer if need be etc etc. He passed all of his tests with flying colors but on his first actual job he breaks down and has a problem with what happens. I literally cannot wrap my head around this if it was something pounded into him at a young age and the fact he seems to be the only trooper in the entire organization that has a problem with what's going on.

In the previous movies please tell me that Storm Troopers have had a history of sometimes flaking out because I really couldn't get into Fins origin because that felt so strange and awkward to me.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The force woke him up. It's in the title to the movie.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

euphronius posted:

Tfa took a huge huge risk making its leads a relatively unknown black actor and a relatively unknown woman. You can forgive them for hedging the risk a bit on other factors.

When is the last time a major franchise made its stars two young unknown actors one of whom is black.

Can we talk about how much John Boyega loving ruled in this movie, or is that for the other thread

I also wish we got more of Poe Dameron, because he was unquestionably the coolest character and he disappears for vast lengths of time. I almost feel like Poe got to have his own little adventures while TFA was taking place. Probably for a spin-off movie.

EDIT:

Literally he is a janitor

There are jokes about him being a janitor

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

guts and bolts posted:

Literally he is a janitor

There are jokes about him being a janitor

Fair enough, I also had a fever going in so some details just sailed over my head I guess.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

He used to bullseye womp rats in his T-16.

Your move.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
It's a necessary element of Star Wars fans to completely misunderstand the meaning of the Force and really just actively disliking Star Wars. The only true Star Wars fans are children, so often grown men will try to become children to claim Star Wars fandom but they are of course false fans.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

am0kgonzo posted:

He used to bullseye womp rats in his T-16.

Your move.

Rey used to beat the poo poo out of people/aliens/whatever with a staff; she demonstrates way more combat ability before getting a lightsaber than Luke ever did period

though, to be fair, I'm not sure where she got the flying skills. The salvaging/repair stuff I can totally see, though, given her "job" beforehand. but she's got that force magic/probable heredity in her so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

abraham linksys posted:

Rey used to beat the poo poo out of people/aliens/whatever with a staff; she demonstrates way more combat ability before getting a lightsaber than Luke ever did period

though, to be fair, I'm not sure where she got the flying skills. The salvaging/repair stuff I can totally see, though, given her "job" beforehand. but she's got that force magic/probable heredity in her so :shrug:

The whole point is that it doesn't matter. If the movie shows you (or tells you) that X character has Y skills, you don't need to have it endlessly re-shown (wow, she really is a good pilot!). Luke bullseye'd womprats. Rey can fly boats. Whatever.

It's when characters explicitly don't have skills (the Force) at the outset and, rather than learn new skills or develop new traits they just have the plot write those new things in - that's when goony dorks like me say things like "Rey is cool but some elements of her character are oversold"

• Locked thread