Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Ghostlight posted:

Four tickets came in!

They are all for new users starting the 11th of Jan, which is when the office opens next year. The office is closing tomorrow at mid-day.

Guess who already has department support for not giving a poo poo about your last-minute paperwork for hires you've known about for more than a month :thumbsup:

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a shutdown -f
Nice. I love the last minute new hire tickets. On the plus side, they did remember to tell you at all.

Sounds familiar though/ We had a new hire ticket come in tonight for a new remote/WFH employee next Monday. We're closed thurs/fri. Fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yippee! We're closed from the 24th till the 4th and all our clients are winding down and not sending in issues!

Except for three on the other side of the country that have gone insane and sent in 400% more tickets between them than we'd normally get per day from our entire workload :suicide:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

iajanus posted:

Yippee! We're closed from the 24th till the 4th and all our clients are winding down and not sending in issues!

Except for three on the other side of the country that have gone insane and sent in 400% more tickets between them than we'd normally get per day from our entire workload :suicide:

We're only closed on Christmas Day and New Years Day (the eves are half days)

But I'm on vacation from the 26th through the 3rd so it's all closed to me! :smug:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

LethalGeek posted:

I was about to say you better loving not but the comedy that would produce alone.

Someone sent a nice phising email and of course people are blindly punching their logins for "company gift cards" even though we've never done that in the 8 years i've worked here, we always get our bonuses in our paychecks.

A while back someone at a client I managed got an email about a missed call with a voicemail WAV file. They opened the attachment without thinking and infected almost a dozen machines with a Crypto variant.

Best part? Their phone system wasn't even set up for voicemail notifications like that.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

A ticket came in...

...wait, no it didn't, because Jira was down when I came in this morning.

So, it turns out some chucklefuck started a database re-indexing at 3 AM, without any prior notifications to anyone. They also didn't verify that it was running properly, so it's been churning away for hours. When I came in at 7 AM, my Jira dashboard was showing an in-progress message frozen at 5%. That will probably not finish today! So I shoot an email over to our team that handles Jira support.

Two hours later they finally managed to stop the re-indexing and get Jira back online...

...except now we can't do anything with any existing tickets, because this is what we get when we try any actions:

Jira posted:

Cannot execute statement: impossible to write to binary log since BINLOG_FORMAT = STATEMENT and at least one table uses a storage engine limited to row-based logging. InnoDB is limited to row-logging when transaction isolation level is READ COMMITTED or READ UNCOMMITTED.

:shrug:

EDIT: Turns out that error was a red herring because they aren't using replication on the Jira DB at all. So they changed the SQL binlog format to MIXED and everything works now. Cool, maybe I'll actually get some work done! :v:

EDIT 2: Nope, the support team decided to take it down again for maintenance in the middle of the loving day. We're right back at the first error, but this time it's frozen at... 6%! :suicide:

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 22, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Larches, it's only going to get more entertaining from here. When I left my last bad job where they micromanage to hide their idiocy, I find they still have yet to replace me - I'm getting recruiters asking me about doing the exact job I left for, same rate and description.

When I left my last job, I got a recruiter pitching the exact same job to me, but for 50% more than I was making there.

:negative:

I like to think that I was more valuable than they thought at the time, but the reality is that I was just underpaid.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

guppy posted:

I'm sick and maybe I'm missing something, but it looks to me like all this is telling you is that the training system doesn't think she completed the training, which isn't in dispute. Isn't the question whether those notifications are accurate?
Oh, the completion was also in dispute. I didn't quote the part of the email where the manager said "MY TEAM SAID THEY FINISHED ALL REQUIRED TRAINING WHY ARE WE STILL GETTING THESE MESSAGES???"

One would think after 30 notifications about being late, you'd do more than take a person's word that they did the training.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

The Macaroni posted:

Oh, the completion was also in dispute. I didn't quote the part of the email where the manager said "MY TEAM SAID THEY FINISHED ALL REQUIRED TRAINING WHY ARE WE STILL GETTING THESE MESSAGES???"

One would think after 30 notifications about being late, you'd do more than take a person's word that they did the training.

Any way to login as an admin to see what users accessed the training? If not, sit the person and their manager down in a quick meeting and ask a couple random questions about it. Can't answer the questions that were clearly in the training program? Time to re-do the training, chucklefuck!

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

I have a strong feeling CE isn't long for this broadcast world. GM and I had a long chat about him and he gave me the biggest wink wink nudge nudge ever and told me I'd be great Chief Engineer material if I was ever looking to come back.

Seemed appropriate.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Anime is never appropriate.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Varkk posted:

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Varkk posted:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Varkk posted:

mewse
May 2, 2006

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Varkk posted:

Anime is never ah gently caress it

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
I like my boss - genuinely a great guy, always looks out for us, always tries to go the extra mile for us. That means a lot to me since we're basically... 2.5 people.

Whats driving me up a loving wall is asking for him to do something for me. Example: our VZ account can only be managed by him, so no matter what I request, it has to go through him. I wouldn't mind that, assuming things got done. Things that haven't been done...

1. Need an otterbox case and SIM card for a phone for on-call engineer for the building. Initial request was a month ago to the day. I finally, finally got a SIM card for a different phone. I had two arrive by mail for a number i've never seen in my life, and a second number that had a phone replacement a week ago. This only happened because he was out for something else and I knew the route he'd take would drive him right by a VZ store.
2. I needed a replacement phone because my LG took a poo poo. This was roughly 3 weeks ago. "Ahh hell, I forgot" I ended up going to the store, getting the phone, and forcing him to take a quick call clearing the purchase.
3. I get a replacement phone today for a TV guy - no idea, no details, no explanation.
4. I get two iphones that show up on my desk - also no idea.
5. Get another iphone that is supposed to be now used for the engineers listed #1, but it has someone elses icloud account on it. "I'll handle it" he says, and walks off with the phone. Roughly 25 minutes later, while on a call himself, he leaves said iphone on my desk and walks out. The icloud account is still on it.

:psyduck:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

H-hello

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GoatShaver posted:

I like my boss - genuinely a great guy, always looks out for us, always tries to go the extra mile for us. That means a lot to me since we're basically... 2.5 people.

Whats driving me up a loving wall is asking for him to do something for me. Example: our VZ account can only be managed by him, so no matter what I request, it has to go through him. I wouldn't mind that, assuming things got done. Things that haven't been done...

GoatShaver are you an alternate personality of me?

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010
Well, I haven't felt like myself lately...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

please only official computer animes itt

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
No one cares about your opinions re: anime

Says the man with an avatar from what is p much anime: the game

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Update 18 made the game 500% more anime and I mean that in the best way possible

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
death to all animes allahu ackbar

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Not empty quoting.

Including the subtext.

On a more relevant note, I would totally make a wreath out of RAM sticks if I had some lying around. Come to think of it, if this whole shebang with the CE started around Christmas, it lasted almost exactly 2 years. (As opposed to fractions of a year.) What are the odds?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

AlphaKretin posted:

Not empty quoting.

Including the subtext.

On a more relevant note, I would totally make a wreath out of RAM sticks if I had some lying around. Come to think of it, if this whole shebang with the CE started around Christmas, it lasted almost exactly 2 years. (As opposed to fractions of a year.) What are the odds?

I was just thinking about this, everyone says to job hop every 2 years to get pay bumped and title bumped, but really it's because that's how long for you to figure out all the bullshit that happens and get fed up with it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

If a merchant needs a transaction reprocessed, like if they ran a refund instead of a sale, or they charged the wrong amount and the customer is already gone, they send us the receipt, we submit the receipt in a ticket to First Data, they send us back card info, and we run the transaction the way it's supposed to be run. So like 10 days ago, I submitted a ticket to First Data for some card info. I realized yesterday that they never updated me with the info, and the ticket was still open, so I ask for an update to it. This morning I get this reply, from a tech I've dealt with a hundred time for this sort of thing before with no previous issue:

quote:

Hello,
I asked for an update and I was advised until the 6 week SLA time frame is up, they will not request an update from programming. My manager is out this week and I am out the rest of the week. So if you would like to discuss this with my lead his information is below. I’m sorry I do not have a better update for you at this time.
:what:

All we want is the card info. it's like a 10 minute job.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

neogeo0823 posted:

:what:

All we want is the card info. it's like a 10 minute job.

Fuckin lol at a 6 week sla when customer money is involved

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
^^^^^ LOL indeed

Ozz81 posted:

Any way to login as an admin to see what users accessed the training?
Yup. For some reason the system hadn't automatically enrolled this particular user in a couple of the required classes, but she hadn't made any effort to correct the situation (and that's exactly why we have 3 different ways to communicate to people about their training status). In the odd .5% of cases where there's some registration issue, they start getting hit with emails and dashboard notifications. Most of the time when that happens, the person calls me as soon as the notification shows up and asks, "Hey, what's up with this?"

This is very much like driving with an expired license and saying, "Oh, I thought all those expiration notices you sent me were somehow wrong! And also that the expiration date right here on the license was, y'know, a friendly suggestion and not anything real."

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Fuckin lol at a 6 week sla when customer money is involved

Right? Per the tech's email, I escalated that poo poo straight up to her manager, who came back not 10 minutes later with "Uh, I'm not sure what the issue is here, but here's your card info. :shrug:". If the tech was already on vacation, they could've easily just forwarded it to the manager and been done with it, but I guess that was harder than telling me to tell the merchant to wait 6 weeks.

The best part is that these sorts of things have to be dealt with quickly, before the customer notices. Because if they do notice, they can file a chargeback and because of the way this poo poo works, they're almost guaranteed to win that dispute.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Malachite_Dragon posted:

What game?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Farecoal posted:

What game?

It's Warframe.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

A ticket hasn't come in, because Zendesk is hosed up this morning or something I guess? Fine by me, because all I plan on doing today is baby-sitting CrashPlan on a client's file server. I had to create a new 900 GB backup last night because the old one was doing some weird poo poo. Stuff like reporting major folders as deleted when they weren't, or certain files just disappearing when users go to access them and then not being able to restore them at all (!).

Just the local backup alone will take another day and a half - don't want to even think about how long it'll take to upload to CrashPlan Central. :smithcloud:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Thou shalt not suffer the weeaboo to let live.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

MiniFoo posted:

A ticket hasn't come in, because Zendesk is hosed up this morning or something I guess?

Yep, seems to be. Our knowledge base is hosted on it, and just can't be accessed. Our ticketing system with them is...working mostly kind of but really slowly? Its fun.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So an email came in:

Hey support.

With the recent layoffs we have a dozen spare workstations. Can you set them up as a rendering cluster for 3d studio max? Thanks.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I can't find the ticket anymore, but my new favorite phrase is "Problem phone continues to be problem."

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in: "My phone is not working"

couple minutes later: "Computer is back working all good!"

Couple minutes later: "Phone still not working."

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Siochain posted:

Yep, seems to be. Our knowledge base is hosted on it, and just can't be accessed. Our ticketing system with them is...working mostly kind of but really slowly? Its fun.

I really enjoy their free stickers they give us and not using their service.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in:

Hey support.

With the recent layoffs we have a dozen spare workstations. Can you set them up as a rendering cluster for 3d studio max? Thanks.

Just bind them together with zip ties and do your IT magic to make them a shared virtual butt blade voltron of computing power.

Also please add a few more buzzwords to your response to impress the CEO.

vvv I'll never forget the "Please zoom and enhance" request I got to identify a license plate in a lovely traffic video for a lawyer. My tech wizardry was not at a high enough level to complete his quest :(

Judge Schnoopy fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in:

Hey support.

Do you suppose the people that offer up these sort of suggestions are genuinely curious why their computer doesn't beep, click and whirr like the ones on their favourite prime time crime procedural?

I've always suspected that to be the case, just wondering if others are of the same (low) opinion.

• Locked thread