Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Tivac posted:

Hey Zorilla, did any of those 40" 4k monitors/tvs end up being decent?

I have a feeling they didn't, which is such a bummer.

I went right back to my trusty 27" Korean IPS after trying out that Seiki and haven't tried anything else since then. I'd like to think the other monitors that use the TP Vision panel instead of the Samsung Super MVA would be better, but I still have concerns over ergonomics and backlight uniformity on a monitor I use to get work done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Got my XB270HU. No dead pixels, but the backlight bleed is pretty bad...

Yeah, this is why I only buy VA panels now:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

KingEup posted:

Yeah, this is why I only buy VA panels now:

If only there were more than a single >75Hz VA panel on the market.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DrDork posted:

If only there were more than a single >75Hz VA panel on the market.

The EIZO FG2421 120Hz VA and the Acer Z35 21:9 200Hz VA both spring to mind.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

BurritoJustice posted:

The EIZO FG2421 120Hz VA and the Acer Z35 21:9 200Hz VA both spring to mind.

The EIZO is the one that I was thinking about (it's a great option for anyone looking for a 24" 1080p monitor), and the Z35 isn't actually available yet AFAIK, and 2560 x 1080 is pretty weak for a 35" monitor.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

DrDork posted:

The EIZO is the one that I was thinking about (it's a great option for anyone looking for a 24" 1080p monitor), and the Z35 isn't actually available yet AFAIK, and 2560 x 1080 is pretty weak for a 35" monitor.

The Z35 is available where I live for AUD$1800 which is a loving rip off.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

KingEup posted:

The Z35 is available where I live for AUD$1800 which is a loving rip off.
That's USD 1300 and we're a small market, so it's about on point.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Does anyone know why my monitor won't turn off despite the power settings being correct (to i.e. turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity)?

This happened when I installed Windows 10, then an update made it work properly again. Now it's doing it again and I have to turn my monitor off (which acts as a USB hub).

How do I even diagnose it?

bubblewrapsky
Nov 1, 2010

smackfu posted:

Anyone have experience using a Dell soundbar with their monitors? For $30, I'm sure the sound is nothing special, but since my U2415 is on a VESA arm, and my speakers aren't, it looks a bit silly at the moment when I raise things up.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=318-2885

Does the speaker plug into the monitor's USB port (and get audio via HDMI or such), or into the computers?

Sound quality isn't bad but it isn't good either. The sound bar draws power from the monitor but it has a separate audio jack.

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005
I'm new to the world of IPS monitors and is the screen getting kinda white and washed out at the corners in dark scenes common?

It's not backlight bleed since if I tilt my head, the "glow" vanishes. Colors are awesome, things look crisp and good but the glow is really harshing my buzz at the new monitor.

HP 25vx, for the record.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

blackmarketlimb posted:

I'm new to the world of IPS monitors and is the screen getting kinda white and washed out at the corners in dark scenes common?

It's not backlight bleed since if I tilt my head, the "glow" vanishes. Colors are awesome, things look crisp and good but the glow is really harshing my buzz at the new monitor.

HP 25vx, for the record.

Sounds like you got a monitor with particularly bad IPS glow. My monitor, a Dell U2415, does not have significant IPS glow, it's not quite pure black but it's close enough that I don't notice the glow at all even in fairly low light conditions, I would have to turn off all the lights, close the curtains and set the screen to fully black for it to be really noticeable. I definitely don't get any washing out at the corners either.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any Korean 4K monitors already? I'll probably be buying a new PC to go with the Rift/Vive soon, and I might as well replace the 1080p Dell u2311h (because gently caress money :homebrew:) that I now have. The brand ones are getting quite reasonable, but I don't hate money that much.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

mobby_6kl posted:

Are there any Korean 4K monitors already? I'll probably be buying a new PC to go with the Rift/Vive soon, and I might as well replace the 1080p Dell u2311h (because gently caress money :homebrew:) that I now have. The brand ones are getting quite reasonable, but I don't hate money that much.

Quite a few, but they're mostly 40"

- AMH A399U (discontinued)
- AMH A409U (revised version of above with flicker-free backlight and no tempered glass)
- Crossover 404K
- Microboard B400

Name brand, but with similar performance:

- Philips BDM4065UC
- Seiki SM40UNP (tried it, would not recommend due to bad gamma shift, AG filter sparkle, and display artifacts)

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 22, 2015

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

blackmarketlimb posted:

HP 25vx, for the record.

Yeah, you should have bought the 25xw because it has almost no glow: http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...g-ah-ips-2.html

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
I am looking to go from 2 24" monitors (one is a dell 2407wfp which I respect and love) into a single monitor ideally 30+". I use it for gaming but I'm not a snob I just like it when things look crisp and color pops. I'd like it to last a while and I'd like to spend no more than 1k if possible (less is better of course).

Is the dell u3011 the best option? What about curved monitors? Looking forward to the input and recommendations, so far everyone here has been very helpful in my previous PC-related purchases.

Sidenote: saw a U3011 used for 400 on amazon, that seems shady yes?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

The HP 32 Studio is 4k with a glossy screen so colours should 'pop' moreso than on a matte one.

Free shipping & free returns if bought from HP for $930: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-spectre-32-32-inch-studio-display

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 23, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

KingEup posted:

Yeah, you should have bought the 25xw because it has almost no glow: http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...g-ah-ips-2.html

Pictures in a well-lit room seem like a very poor way to demonstrate that a panel doesn't have glow. That same flickr has pics in the same conditions that don't show any glow on a PG279Q, which is definitely known to have glow.

not that I'm saying those HP ones *do* have glow, just that it's not great evidence

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Is there away to tell what a game would be running refresh rate wise on a Korean OC? I know it should use the NVidia settings and I have the Qnix drivers to make it stick, but I'm curious if it's actually working in the games I play.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Zorilla posted:

Quite a few, but they're mostly 40"

- AMH A399U (discontinued)
- AMH A409U (revised version of above with flicker-free backlight and no tempered glass)
- Crossover 404K
- Microboard B400

Name brand, but with similar performance:

- Philips BDM4065UC
- Seiki SM40UNP (tried it, would not recommend due to bad gamma shift, AG filter sparkle, and display artifacts)

Based on some reading/youtube reviews the Microboard B400 seems really, really nice. Thanks for the starting point!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mazz posted:

Is there away to tell what a game would be running refresh rate wise on a Korean OC? I know it should use the NVidia settings and I have the Qnix drivers to make it stick, but I'm curious if it's actually working in the games I play.

Shadowplay has a frame rate counter that can be turned on. A lot of games have built in ones.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks guys, the AMH and Microboard do look pretty drat good, and are already cheaper than the 27" Dell here. Just to not get hosed by the customs :D

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EoRaptor posted:

Shadowplay has a frame rate counter that can be turned on. A lot of games have built in ones.
Steam also has one if you're using their overlay (the Shift+Tab thing) which is a lot smaller and less obtrusive than the Shadowplay one.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

wolrah posted:

Steam also has one if you're using their overlay (the Shift+Tab thing) which is a lot smaller and less obtrusive than the Shadowplay one.

I leave the steam one on all the time since it is so small and unobtrusive.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

KingEup posted:

The HP 32 Studio is 4k with a glossy screen so colours should 'pop' moreso than on a matte one.

Free shipping & free returns if bought from HP for $930: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-spectre-32-32-inch-studio-display

Thanks, is the 8ms response time going to be an issue? Also are there any other considerations I should look at?

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Newegg has a pretty good deal on the ASUS VN248H-P monitor and I was thinking of picking up two to replace my current set up. Some of the reviews I've read have talked about really poor quality blacks, and I was wondering if anyone had similar experiences?

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

I've currently got an EVGA GTX 750Ti FTW driving an HP2159m 1080p monitor, and am looking to get something bigger.

Budget - around £220
Size - either 1080p @ 24", or 1440p @ 27"
Some gaming, but mainly browsing & tv/movie watching

The 27" Korean IPS panel seems to be the best fit, but I've also seen the "Yamakasi Q270 Jupiter LED DVI HDMI DP 2560x1440 AH-VA" monitor on eBay.
Hoping the Q270 would give better blacks - is this a not-terrible choice?

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I'm not sure what "some gaming" is but if it is anything AAA I doubt that 750ti can push even decent frames at 1440p.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Play some FPS games, but not desperate for max settings, eeking out every last frame per second, etc.

Is running a 1440 @ 1080 for games tolerable?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

CaptainN posted:

Play some FPS games, but not desperate for max settings, eeking out every last frame per second, etc.

Is running a 1440 @ 1080 for games tolerable?

To chime in here, I would rather play at 1440p and turn settings down then non matching resolution.

Also: VA monitors are really good

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Captain Yossarian posted:

To chime in here, I would rather play at 1440p and turn settings down then non matching resolution.

Also: VA monitors are really good

Plus, you can turn up settings when you get a better card. You can't turn up a monitor's resolution. You also get the benefit of a better screen on literally everything else you do.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Captain Yossarian posted:

I'd rather play at a lower resolution than turn too many settings down - lighting and other little details can make a huge difference to how a game feels.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

dissss posted:

I'd rather play at a lower resolution than turn too many settings down - lighting and other little details can make a huge difference to how a game feels.

Then play on your 1440p monitor at 720p. Retro AND console experience at the same time! :downs:

Seriouschat: You're probably going to be happier at 720p with a 750 Ti, and at least it scales cleanly on 1440p.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

dissss posted:

The pixel stretching is going to look like rear end though and that also affects how a game feels. You may be better getting a native 1080p monitor for now if that's your main concern, you'll save some money which you can put towards a card that isn't so wheezy.

EDIT: Or what Sir Unimaginative said. 2:1 upscaling would at least look better.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

The Deadly Hume posted:

The pixel stretching is going to look like rear end though and that also affects how a game feels. You may be better getting a native 1080p monitor for now if that's your main concern, you'll save some money which you can put towards a card that isn't so wheezy.

I play virtually everything at 1366x768 on a 1920x1080 laptop screen (so not an even ratio or anything) - sure it isn't ideal but it also isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

dissss posted:

sure it isn't ideal but it also isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

That could be used a lot in this thread.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Coredump posted:

That could be used a lot in this thread.

People have different tolerances for quality and that's fine.

But still, gently caress TN screens :mad:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Jewel Repetition posted:

The VG236H isn't available anymore. Are there any other 1920x1080 that are good for gaming and around 24 inches?

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
What're you specifically looking for? You need 120Hz and 3D

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Still looking for feedback on some 32+ inch monitors that I can use to replace 2 24" monitors. I use it for mostly gaming and multi-tasking. Was thinking of going with http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-34-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00PXYRMPE but wanted to get some feedback before pulling the trigger. I like the idea of curved unless there is a reason not to that I am unaware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SoggyGravy posted:

Still looking for feedback on some 32+ inch monitors that I can use to replace 2 24" monitors. I use it for mostly gaming and multi-tasking. Was thinking of going with http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-34-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00PXYRMPE but wanted to get some feedback before pulling the trigger. I like the idea of curved unless there is a reason not to that I am unaware of.

I have one of those and something like half my post history in this thread is giving it and ultrawides in general a sloppy blowjob.

Curved on an ultrawide monitor is good. On a flat one it's quite noticeable that the edges are at a reasonably steep angle to you, and on a curved they aren't.

For most tasks you can fit three columns on the screen or a column and what amounts to a full width window. Even on a 2560x1440 a half width browser feels a bit width constrained (granted I have tabs stacked vertically on the edges, but that's the right place for them anyway), on a 3440x1440 a half width browser window isn't constrained one bit. It's way more useful than two 1080 screens, and I find that once you get two 2560x1440 screens they're wide enough that an ultrawide is better, and then adding 2560s can work because by that point you're turning your head regardless, and you've got oodles of real estate.