Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Whoa, gog has outlaws?! And it works, including the music?! I haven't had a working PC for the last two years or so, so I've been missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

Whoa, gog has outlaws?! And it works, including the music?! I haven't had a working PC for the last two years or so, so I've been missing out.
Yeah, it works, music included, but it's kinda buggy. Better than nothing, though!

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Too bad the software mode can't be used in GOG release, because the 3dfx version makes some sprites quite blurry.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

laserghost posted:

Too bad the software mode can't be used in GOG release, because the 3dfx version makes some sprites quite blurry.
There's a way to change this and re-enable sprite angles normally disabled for the sake of old 3dfx cards with low memory, but I can't remember how. olcfg.exe, I think?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Geight posted:

Has anyone else tried out Skulldash after seeing it recommended by the Cacowards? I've been really enjoying it but finding it difficult to collect all the skull tokens in any level after tier one.

It's naff. The maps aren't very good and the custom monsters with extra health are irritating as sin.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

laserghost posted:

There's a thread on that topic, marked as [Solved], on the GOG forum, so try that.
http://www.gog.com/forum/outlaws_a_handful_of_missions/is_it_possible_to_run_in_software_mode

For reference and posterity, because I don't trust the perennity of MediaFire links, here's the content of the .reg file:

code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\OutlawsWinGOG]
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00
"ID"=hex:c3,41,c5,34
"Name"="OLWIN.EXE"

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Oh, good to know. I've blasted through the whole game in two evenings and never checked if there was a fix. I should probably revisit this game and give a go at those "historical" missions.

I wonder if we'll ever see Call of Juarez on GOG. Technically, Techland and the owners of GOG are competitors, but I'm sure they could agree. Oh, and rebalanced and optimized version of Chrome would be great. That game was such a wasted potential.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

catlord posted:

Ah, thanks. I got stuck at that Jawa fort too.

Also, you do onemandoom? That's awesome, you do good work.

thank you kindly!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I did it. I bought World War II GI on Steam

Now I can group it in my collection with Nam and Eradicator

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
I remember enjoying World War II GI when I was younger, so I bought it on Steam hoping I'd re-live my childhood with a game I used to like.

It's okay.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Convex posted:

I did it. I bought World War II GI on Steam

Now I can group it in my collection with Nam and Eradicator

You can't use this gif. At least, not yet.

First you need to find Extreme Paintbrawl. :unsmigghh:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Ball Cupper posted:

I remember enjoying World War II GI when I was younger, so I bought it on Steam hoping I'd re-live my childhood with a game I used to like.

It's okay.

Same, but Eradicator, and I didn't buy it on Steam to relive my childhood.

I'm... fairly sure It'd be alright, but every time I'm feeling wistful like that I just give Strife another spin.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I played a level of Eradicator.

It's okay.

Cat Mattress posted:

I found it at a bookstore a few years ago and bought it based on its infamy alone.

Let's do this.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

laserghost posted:

Oh, good to know. I've blasted through the whole game in two evenings and never checked if there was a fix. I should probably revisit this game and give a go at those "historical" missions.

I wonder if we'll ever see Call of Juarez on GOG. Technically, Techland and the owners of GOG are competitors, but I'm sure they could agree. Oh, and rebalanced and optimized version of Chrome would be great. That game was such a wasted potential.

The historical missions I remember being a grand old time.

Growing up all my friends had Doom, but I had to "Settle" for Dark Forces. My nostalgia runs deep for that title, and then three years ago I discover a western spiritual sequel? Hell yes.

I might boot up Doom and rock out some TCs. I heard Pirates! Doom finally released so I might give that a run through.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
It's hard to go wrong with doom.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Is it wrong to say that Half Life 1/Quake era games have aged terribly?

I have a PC again, and one that can actually run stuff well (I can play current gen stuff like Far Cry 4, albeit in low settings), so I finally want to play Black Mesa and other HL2 mods.

But I don't really have a huge interest in replaying Half Life 1, as I did a playthrough two years ago and it was arduous and the shooting feedback felt gangly as all hell.

Meanwhile, Doom still plays fantastically. Although some of that is probably the greatness of stuff like zdoom and other mods that mix old and new. I'm debating burning through the Dark Forces series again, and I wonder if the same logic holds true for Jedi Knight and MOTS.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I can say for sure that HL1/Quake 1 era PC games have aged a shitload better than their corresponding console games, in large part because even your SiN and Half-Life will scale ok up to the 4:3 versions of modern resolutions, even if they won't fill the screen, instead of having horrible texture/vertex problems that really show on a modern size display like console FPSes and games in general of the time do.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is it wrong to say that Half Life 1/Quake era games have aged terribly?

Not necessarily, but it will vary immensely with the game and your taste. That era was the long birth of the modern shooter — many design sensibilities that are obvious today simply hadn't been discovered yet, and getting to terms with that whole extra dimension was still a work in progress.

In particular, things like pacing and encounter design and just generally having something interesting on-screen were not fully understood. Some types of gameplay (stealth and anything involving friendly NPCs) were not really available due to lack of AI, while others (platforming) were still popular as filler because that's what both designers and players knew from other games. We've since learned that they need to be designed very differently to work in a 3D FPS.

There's a reason why the progression Doom, Duke/Quake, Half-Life/Unreal looks the way it does: they experimented successfully with their respective branches of the genre (unlike the vast majority of the competition) and established the foundations of future design paths. Even so, it's a transition period of learning what actually works and what doesn't. No-one got everything right — these games just managed to get more things right than most.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
There's also that even if the actual games plain vanilla look pretty bad now, they still have mods or even ports that can easily get them up to par with early 2000s stuff. not even like HD texture pack stuff but just things that correct rendering at high resolutions, fix things to support 16:9/16:10 and so on.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Tippis posted:

Not necessarily, but it will vary immensely with the game and your taste. That era was the long birth of the modern shooter — many design sensibilities that are obvious today simply hadn't been discovered yet, and getting to terms with that whole extra dimension was still a work in progress.

In particular, things like pacing and encounter design and just generally having something interesting on-screen were not fully understood. Some types of gameplay (stealth and anything involving friendly NPCs) were not really available due to lack of AI, while others (platforming) were still popular as filler because that's what both designers and players knew from other games. We've since learned that they need to be designed very differently to work in a 3D FPS.

There's a reason why the progression Doom, Duke/Quake, Half-Life/Unreal looks the way it does: they experimented successfully with their respective branches of the genre (unlike the vast majority of the competition) and established the foundations of future design paths. Even so, it's a transition period of learning what actually works and what doesn't. No-one got everything right — these games just managed to get more things right than most.

Great post.

Yeah, I never played Duke Nukem 3d until it came to the 360 and it was this missing link between Doom and Half Life for me.

And the weird thing is that I LOVE build engine games. Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, even Redneck Rampage - but Half Life 1 was a real struggle. And I agree that it has less to do with graphic fidelity and more to do with design tenets.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Of that era, I think Thief 1&2 fare best because the lighting engine was used very well to cover up the flaws. And the level designs mostly didn't call for complex polygons at all, so it didn't seem lacking. I guess the fact that you're trying to avoid the enemies, the ugliest things in the game, helps a bit too.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Hey, sorry if this is a stupid question (it's my first time modding DooM) but is this Aeons of Death mod supposed to come with new maps? All the weapons and monsters and powerups are different, but the maps seem to just be the ones from DooM 2.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I respect the hell out of Half Life 1 and, overall, prefer it to 2. That being said, at this point with all things considered, I'd be more likely to blast through Doom/Doom 2 with Brutal Doom than I would be to play through HL1 again.

For the first time experience, HL wins, hands-down. However, for moment to moment fun and shooty gameplay, Doom plus ridiculous and somewhat realistic weaponry wins for me.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

fadam posted:

Hey, sorry if this is a stupid question (it's my first time modding DooM) but is this Aeons of Death mod supposed to come with new maps? All the weapons and monsters and powerups are different, but the maps seem to just be the ones from DooM 2.
Nope, it's a "gameplay mod" - you mix it with your choice of maps.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The Kins posted:

Nope, it's a "gameplay mod" - you mix it with your choice of maps.

That makes sense. Thanks.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Honestly Half Life 1's least pleasant part to play these days is the alien world parts. I find the Black Mesa parts to be pretty great but the Xen stuff is just blugh. It really feels dated, and I usually just skip it when I replay HL1.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

koren posted:

It's naff. The maps aren't very good and the custom monsters with extra health are irritating as sin.

I think the maps are pretty neat, although there's one where I can clearly stare into the void and it's in such an obvious spot I wonder if he just thought it looked cool and left it that way.

I also didn't like the higher-HP enemies until I realized that they were often placed in a location where it was feasible to just run past them, which is often the better move as the objective is to get all the tokens before time runs out. That said, I really hope that "Mectabus" enemy doesn't show up more regularly later. :gibs:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

When you guys play DooM mods do you guys play with Jump on or off? I just noticed a setting for it, but I don't know if most authors intend for it to be used.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

fadam posted:

When you guys play DooM mods do you guys play with Jump on or off? I just noticed a setting for it, but I don't know if most authors intend for it to be used.

A lot of the time, jump isn't used unless you're using something off the wall like the Guncaster mod or the Demonsteele mod. Most map makers will usually tell you in the .txt file if you need to enable it because their map requires it. Jumping will usually break maps that are intended to be played "vanilla." I usually keep it off unless the mod requires it.

Link to the mentioned mods:

Guncaster:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37066&sid=cbcdd8bb6e1f6b7903d10a24340a692d

Demonsteele (made by our very own super cool and awesome TerminusEst13):

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46787

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 23, 2015

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cat Mattress posted:

The experience loads on you computer. Immediately you are assailed with distorted buttrock, tinny and awful on your beige 2.1 speakers. "Oh," you squint. "Oh okay." You reach to twist the volume knob but it's too late--one of the speakers is already blown out.

"CREATIVE CARNAGE." More MIDI guitar riffs and noise from the surviving speaker.

Your first experience is supposed to be a CTF scenario. The idea of having AI team members supporting you in a rad paintbrawl gives you goosebumps. You salivate at the thought of not being the only target for everything to shoot at.

You materialize in a rough draft of a desert area from Duke 3D while more buttrock plays. Just then an NPC materializes over your shoulder and runs straight into a wall; before you can determine if he is friend or foe, he vanishes entirely.

"I didn't know there were ghosts in this game!"

After several minutes of wandering aimlessly, you encounter another NPC; he is rapidly squatting--up and down--over a rock. Even though this is a "red versus blue" experience, he's in green. You take careful aim, but before you can squeeze the trigger, he shrinks to a fifth of his normal size and runs away.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Duke 3D is so broken and janky that every time I decide to play it I remember a few levels in that it actively despises the player and give up going back to Doom or Quake or something more fun. The engine is a pile of trash and it's a miracle that any of it works.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I really don't think most of Duke's level design holds up super well. But I do love some of the add-ons. Duke in the caribbean and Duke in DC might be my favorite "fan" content ever.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if duke3d ever taught me anything it's that a lot of 'realistic' map design is really janky, barring things like the apartment level in doom 2 which in itself was kind of surreal.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

:stare: Duke3d's still a great game with good level design and the Build engine is nowhere near that bad. Only real criticism I could give it is that the enemy AI was more focused on acting cool rather than being robust like Doom's AI. Enemies don't have any real kind of pathfinding in Duke but in Doom they've always been fairly reliable in following me around rooms and stuff.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

The second episode relies way too much on explosive drones and mini battlelords, though. Also I've noticed that the new players often get into scripted explosions and get hurt.

There are always good fanmade campaigns, I'm on the 4th level of Duke Hard now and I'm planning to finally play Last Reaction.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

i had one of those duke3d "expansion packs" as a kid that was just 999 lovely maps on a CD. about a a third of them didnt work at all and a third of those were any good. i cant remember if i ever played them all, i had little notes written with the name of the last one i played to keep track.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

fishmech posted:

Honestly Half Life 1's least pleasant part to play these days is the alien world parts. I find the Black Mesa parts to be pretty great but the Xen stuff is just blugh. It really feels dated, and I usually just skip it when I replay HL1.

Totally disagree, Xen's gameplay is annoying and unsatisfying puzzle nonsense interspersed with whack-a-vortigaunt but in terms of atmosphere and vibe it is way cooler than anything at Black Mesa. Since the whole game is annoying and unsatisfying puzzle nonsense interspersed with whack-a-vortigaunt, that counts for a lot.

Also I don't get how people think Quake has aged badly, it is a drat good looking game for its time and its gameplay has held up a lot better than that of any HL game or even the major 2.5D shooters.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Quake, eh. If you didn't play it when it was new it's an interesting novelty but unlikely to become a favorite.

Also I want to compile the best 700 MiB of Doom goodness for a package that mimics those old level dump CDs but I'm way too lazy to sift through everything so I'd probably end up just tossing Reelism, Demonsteele, and a few high-quality mappacks on there and calling it good enough.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 23, 2015

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Keiya posted:

Quake, eh. If you didn't play it when it was new it's an interesting novelty but unlikely to become a favorite.

Also I want to compile the best 700 MiB of Doom goodness for a package that mimics those old level dump CDs but I'm way too lazy to sift through everything so I'd probably end up just tossing Reelism, Demonsteele, and a few high-quality mappacks on there and calling it good enough.

Because it would be :colbert:

I've posted this before so my apologies for repeating myself, but speaking of those old Doom CDs, I really want that sound replacement WAD that switched out all of the Doom sounds for really obnoxious clips from some of Tarantino's (and others) films. The end of level sound was Clarence from True Romance yelling at Drexl before he shoots him. I think the pinkie demon's growl was Mr White asking Mr Orange 'Who's a tough kid, huh?' and Orange straining out 'I'm a tough... kid....". I'm pretty sure there were a few Untouchables quotes in there, including the 'put one of his in the morgue' speech.

I know I wouldn't be able to stand more than maybe 20 minutes of this, but dammit, I want it for nostalgic reasons. In case anyone has this CD laying around, it wasn't an actual Doom cd, but rather a compilation of a ton of shareware stuff, and it just happened to include this WAD/sound pack. I don't remember installing it, so I think it might have actually been already modded on the disc. The disc was something like "1000 AWESOME PC GAMES YEAH~!~~", and I remember it included Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
I have now completed not only Blood and SHADOW WARRIOR but also Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition. I felt Duke Nukem 3D was the least interesting, the most interesting being Blood because of how disturbed it made me become (I felt it was much in the way of horror movie like). I must critique Duke Nukem: 3D for its world. One level had a sushi restaurant that could only be entered by falling from a building. The exit involved blowing a hole in the wall in many areas. How could they of over looked this? I felt it was ridiculous. Have you ever went to a store by falling from a tall height? Next I must critique having to find buttons and keys, why can't I blow open a wall instead? I dislike searching for keys or buttons, switches, ect.. Well, now I will begin on the DOOM games.