Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Kilazar posted:

Forgive me for being ignorant. But.. Multibind? Was this a thing in 99-05? Please explain how this is done :). I am at work so I cant hit your image on pc. And do not want to know enough to chew up my data plan on the phone.

And is it usefull for SK?

I'm pretty sure it's been around forever. I always bound Sense Heading to the same buttons as movement so I could train it while moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
The Hole, Plane of Hate, and presumably Fear opened on Phinigel last night since somebody killed Nagafen.

I did some major poopsocking this weekend and went from 25 to 43. Hoping to get to 46 or 47 today -- XP goes from slow to glacial starting at 40. Are OOT Goblins still the bread and butter, or would Hole be a better option due to the ZEM?

Also if anyone knows a Researcher that can crank out spells in the 30s and 40s and is willing to do commission work (I'll provide hides) please let me know their name. Research spells are just absurdly expensive on Auction.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
OOT goblins are terrible. I don't care how hard anybody swears by them. I did better sitting at King in guk. Granted we were pulling the entire live side pretty much and they were light blue/green but I got more exp here than I did for the few hours killing in OOT when they were yellow.

If you see Icee on, he can make spells. He's in MiM. Pulled a 24 hour so not sure when he'll be on again.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Medullah posted:

I'm pretty sure it's been around forever. I always bound Sense Heading to the same buttons as movement so I could train it while moving.

Oh ok. I know how to do that much. Not sure I can get any value out of binding two things on the sk at once since there is no burn order.

If I am wrong, I would be open to ideas on how an sk could use this. Not like I am hurting for buttons though. I guess I could bind syphone str and disease cloud since I hit those on every mob in order?

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 21, 2015

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
It works by casting available spells in sequence, so if one is not available it'll go down to the next. You'd need to use spells with varying cooldowns in order to not just spam cast the first repeatedly. IIRC siphon strength and disease cloud both have no cooldown.

This'd probably work with like a spear>undead nuke or something (assuming you're fighting undead mobs) but relying on a macro to cast the second (or later) spell consistently assumes you'll be using it to cast the earlier ones first (ie a dps burn rotation). First spells go on cooldown, the binding casts the first available from the top, which then goes on cooldown, and repeat.

If you use it other situations you need to know you'll be casting the spells in order and that you need to cast the first to cast the latter. This could be useful for basic tanking but in emergency situations (like unexpected multipulls) you may want to be able to cast spells out of sequence.

unoplank
Aug 3, 2004
I lurk...

jetz0r posted:

For prayerless, this is what the multibind setup on my druid looks like

It's like pushing all of those buttons on the hotbar in order, at once. The highest available one gets used, if all the spells are down, then the AAs in that social get used.

You can also bind a bunch of spell gems to the same key under the Spell Casting tab. But the hotbar method is more flexible to changing which spells are in your multibind and what order to cast them. On some raids I just have Dicho(#1) and Remote(#4) in my dps multibind, and everything else is replaced by debuffs and buffs. So I don't have to de-mem the long reuse spells, I just move them around on that hotbar and remove the non-dps buttons from that bar.

I also have another hotbar for my heal multibind, but that's only 3 gems and a blank.

Thanks for this. Will try it out soon and see what I prefer.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pilsner posted:

I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to stuff like this, but I guess I should really use it for the random low-challenge XP grinding and old-content grinding I'm doing. You can always revert to using specific hotkeys if you want to optimize DPS on a named, for example.

Pure melees work a bit differently than casters, if you try to have two AAs in a row on the hotbar, only one ever gets hit. That's why I have them both in a social. There's something about alternating AAs and discs to get them to cast down through the order correctly. But I don't have any experience with setting those up.

My multibind is always doing my "burn" in the correct order, without requiring me to worry about watching refreshes or missing a cast because a gem was off cool down before I saw it. Same for healing, 90% of the time, I want to cast my fastest available heal on my target. And a multibind will always do that with just one button press.

They're not low effort sloppy playing. They're low effort optimal playing for the vast majority of situations.

Kilazar posted:

If I am wrong, I would be open to ideas on how an sk could use this. Not like I am hurting for buttons though. I guess I could bind syphone str and disease cloud since I hit those on every mob in order?

I have two multibinds set up for my sk. the first one is for hate, it's 3 terrors with Explosion of Spite and Explosion of Hatred. The other is lifetaps and the AA bite.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Givin posted:

OOT goblins are terrible. I don't care how hard anybody swears by them. I did better sitting at King in guk. Granted we were pulling the entire live side pretty much and they were light blue/green but I got more exp here than I did for the few hours killing in OOT when they were yellow.

This is the correct answer, at least during the XP event. Maybe it's ZEM magic, but farming greens, light blues, and dark blues at the LGuk King was faster than OOT goblins. My brother was running a two box - a Wizard with me in LGuk and a Druid with another group at OOT gobs, and the Wizard wound up with a significant lead over the Druid. Yeah, it's an anecdote, and I'm sure our LGuk group was better than the OOT group, but in terms of random pubbie group versus random pubbie group, LGuk King pulled ahead.

I wound up hitting 48 then heading to bed. I'm going to try getting up and squeezing 49 out before the end of double XP tomorrow, but I suspect I won't pull it off in time. Under double XP, levels past 46 or so jumped to about 3 hours apiece of constant pulls. Actually the guy going from 49 -> 50 in my group was gaining about the same % per pull as I was going 47 -> 48. So yeah, those last four or five levels are definitely an homage to hell levels.

boho fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 22, 2015

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

jetz0r posted:

Pure melees work a bit differently than casters, if you try to have two AAs in a row on the hotbar, only one ever gets hit. That's why I have them both in a social. There's something about alternating AAs and discs to get them to cast down through the order correctly. But I don't have any experience with setting those up.
I experimented a bit with it last night. EQ seems very finicky about the order you have the buttons and on which hotbars, when multibinding. Some can be spammed together, some cannot. Really hard to make sense of, but here's what I came up with:

R key: Flying Kick (first on hotbar 1), Stunning Kick (button 7 on hotbar 1), Tiger Claw (button 1 or hotbar 8): All activate instantly at the same time. When I had Stunning Kick before FK on hotbar 1, it didn't work.
Shift+R key: Synergy, Cloud of Fists (will replace with Zalikor's Fang soon), Banestrike: It fires only the first that is available (not on cooldown), so I have to press the keycombo 3 times in succession in order to make them fire. I ditched Banestrike because gently caress that silly 8k nuke that rarely works, and let's see if Fang is more bind-friendly that Cloud of Fists.
Ctrl+1 key: Impenetable Disc and Third Spire: Both fire instantly with one keypress. Adding Third Spire gives a nice little extra tanking power.

Other AAs act differently. On my Ranger, some AA group buffs can be instantly applied, some get ignored when multibound. I just ended up making a social that uses Epic, Group Guardian, Auspice and Third Spire all in one glorious group-buffing macro. Pretty sweet. Did you (speaking to everyone here) know that you can use items in a macro? See: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/useitem-command-for-click-buffs.200214/#post-2954659 . Great for clicking epic on boxes.

All in all, I ended up totally rewriting and simplifying my macro setup for my boxes. I don't mind spamming a lot of keys situationally for my main (Monk), but on boxes, fact is that you neither have the time nor the :effort: to individually activate the myriad of AA buffs (both single and group buffs) they have. Just my Wizard has like 5-6 AAs and Twincast that buff casting of various kinds. My Ranger has 3 group-buffing AAs and a few solo buffs. Shaman has a few also of both kinds. You might think "I'll save them for bosses", but realistically, either the boss is easy enough that you can do without, or it's hard enough that you need to concentrate so much on your main and your backup healer (Shaman for me) that you simply don't have time to switch to your boxes and perform anything that even remotely resembles an efficient AA burn rotation. I don't at least.

The only proper solution is have one hotkey that uses Epic (if worthwhile for the class - very worthwhile for Shaman) along with a slew of preferably group buffs and secondarily, solo buffs, and spam that key every 3 minutes to speed up grinding (and boss killing). You can't see the cooldown of the Epic clickie if you make a macro, but just follow the cooldown on your main (where I have it individually bound), and you can see when it's time to spam the macro again. The various AAs that you bind have varying cooldown times (I use ones that have 5-10 minutes maximum), but they'll get activated again eventually. To wrap it all up, I have an ISBoxer hotkey that sends Ctrl+4 to all my characters at once, and each character has the aforementioned "use epic and every awesome buff" macro bound to Ctrl+4, so everything just pops at once to rape face. Looking forward to testing and tweaking it.

Oh, and in other news, I noticed last night that Fabled Ball of Golem Clay now has no cooldown. Not bad with a 85k 5% Vie-type buff (absorbs 5% per hit, up to about 85k damage total, max 400 hits). It also makes you proc a snare.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Managed to get my Bard to 32 during the double xp weekend, and got my mana song :) I would have liked to have made it to 40+, but I'm way past the point where I can sit down and play this game for more than 3-4 hours at a time.

LGuk is probably my best bet for xp at this point, right?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 22, 2015

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

RCarr posted:

Managed to get my Bard to 32 during the double xp weekend, and got my mana song :) I would have liked to have made it to 40+, but I'm way past the point where I can sit down and play this game for more than 3-4 hours at a time.

LGuk is probably my best bet for xp at this point, right?

Lguk or CT is where I'm headed at 31

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
I'm in on Phinny with a 13 Monk named Yojimbo. Are there any good guilds to join at this time?

Also, I'm camped outside of Unrest right now, is there any place better to level at 13?

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
South Ro crocs are good, safe XP until 16 or so. Unrest was too crowded when I was level 13, it may be calming down now given that double XP weekend just ended.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I was hoping to make it to 27 on my sk/shm box over the event but I only managed 20. It's such a hassle playing evil characters without invis.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I am only level eight on my rogue, but started a erudite sk on Phinny. Is there some exploit for mages in the newbie area of Paineel? I want to gain xp there on fire beetles (even con to a level two). Whenever I log in there is always a two huge piles of dead beetles, a red mage's pet killing constantly spawning live beetles, and an anonymous red mage that won't respond.

WTF?

Haukadalur Geezer
Jun 4, 2008

thats right

DerekSmartymans posted:

I am only level eight on my rogue, but started a erudite sk on Phinny. Is there some exploit for mages in the newbie area of Paineel? I want to gain xp there on fire beetles (even con to a level two). Whenever I log in there is always a two huge piles of dead beetles, a red mage's pet killing constantly spawning live beetles, and an anonymous red mage that won't respond.

WTF?

Fraps? Post loc and I'll go fraps it. Want to see. Maybe I'm missing out on megabux.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I don't have fraps, but I can log on my sk and get locs in a little while. To add to what I saw, I logged on to her three times today (scared to hit Tox Forest at level 2) and it was always two separate mages afk while their pets completely obliterated the fire beetles with one hit apiece. Much too strong a pet to get xp from these white con to me beetles. Variety in pets didn't seem ro matter except I have not seen an air pet doing it.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in as Jhelora on phinigel, gonna play an enchanter. Is there a guild or are the goons just kinda here and there?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Made it to 50 today, plus I got lucky and walked out of a LGuk Lord group with a Shiny Metallic Robe and an SSoY I won on a greed roll.

I'm doing the Tashania and Incandescent Mask quests next, then once I buy Allure and some +CHA wrists I'm pretty much set to start farming Hate or doing crazy end game non-raiding things like JBoots. Really all I'm missing now is decent pants and GEBs. I've farmed up all my gear myself, which has been a rewarding experience and left my pretty cash rich.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Sorry to the guys I went LD on in OOT. Net went out and 20 mins later, it still wasn't up so went out to an xmas party that I was planning on not going to.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Whats the server population like on Ragefire these days for levelling ?

Lyim_X
Oct 30, 2004
Just had my first encounter with Keon in Sol B on Phinny. That was all sorts of fun.

Training is one thing. Breaking mez after you've successfully halted his train took it to a whole new level.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Lyim_X posted:

Just had my first encounter with Keon in Sol B on Phinny. That was all sorts of fun.

Training is one thing. Breaking mez after you've successfully halted his train took it to a whole new level.

I grouped with him last night in Solb, he murdered groups until he got a pick all to himself so I left

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

gently caress Everquest in every way, orifice, and pore possible.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
We beat an expansion in which every aspect was maybe 1/4 complete, and the developers are taking vacations. GOOD JOB!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Took down Vox with EoE last night. She dropped a RBB, and two horns. I was one of two bards in the raid, so I got the horn at level 33 :)

Now if I could only level...

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I spent the day/night camping the Darksea Harpoon. Not one spawn in like 16 hours or so. At this point, if he spawns and drops the rogue spear instead, I'm rerolling. I have more melee gear stashed away than I do items I want/need for my shaman. And I refuse to buy or deal in krono.

EDIT: Internet threats work. Shaman spear dropped. No rogue for me yet.

Givin fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 24, 2015

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
Phinigel is fun, but the population in LGuk has tanked since the double-XP event ended.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Shodai posted:

Phinigel is fun, but the population in LGuk has tanked since the double-XP event ended.

Ummm, this is a good thing? Unless you like everything being permacamped and never being able to find a group I guess.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006

RCarr posted:

Ummm, this is a good thing? Unless you like everything being permacamped and never being able to find a group I guess.

More people = more groups. Jack squat for people makes it rather hard to find one.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

There's dozens and dozens of people LFG for Lguk at any hour of the day. It's like the most sought after xp zone in the game at the moment. If there's a camp open you could have a group together in 30 seconds.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Yeah last night I kept getting shoved back into uguk because people were lfg on the zone line. The problem isn't people to group with, the problem is people are terrified of doing anything live side half the time that isn't king so there's 40 people crammed into dead side with maybe 1 group at king.

EDIT: Double XP from noon pst today to noon pst monday, GET YOUR SOCKS BACK OUT

Stanos fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 24, 2015

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Well get ready because it's BONUS exp for the next 4 days!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
50% off exp pots too. Time to git dem Walmart SC cards.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Is Befallen upper levels ok for an 8 rogue on Phinny? I forgot how hard it is to level without a mercenary :-).

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
If you're twinked, you might live. I doubt it tho. The first mummy to disease you is going to gently caress you raw. It's never going to get easy as a rogue. Throw on /lfg, put in a good message to attract people and pray to God you get groups.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Yeah, 'bout what I figured. I remember leveling my rogue on EMarr with a full suit of Ravenscale and a Horn of Hasegra and a Cloak of Flames in Befallen, but that twink was curtesy of my 15 year old's stuff. Oh, and a mercenary :-0. I just can't wait till I hit 10 and get Backstab. Any places to solo with a 8/27 weapon would be appreciated, I haven't been to some of these zones in literally 13 years.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Don't try to solo as a rogue. Just get a group. It's exponentially easier and faster.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Got to 39 last night, gonna try to get at least 45 before the double xp ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I managed to hit 40 last night. Pretty sure I can get to 50 before this double xp is over. I'll be happy with getting to 46 so I can get into the planes.