Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
We must secure the existence of great deals, and a future for quality products.

edit: This isn't nearly as good at the top of a new page. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Puppy Time posted:

Dr. Oz insomnia cure left man lame, lawsuit says

The "remedy" is fundamentally stupid, but if he knew he had neuropathy I can't imagine why he wouldn't check the heat with a hand or something first. I can't imagine why ANYONE wouldn't check the heat first, really.

I like how in the VERY ARTICLE CITING WHAT THE SHOW SAYS they say that Dr Oz said not to "heat it up too hot!" and then go on to say that they're responsible when a dumbass who knows he has less feeling in his feet heats it up too hot. Dr. Oz is a dangerous quack, but this still seems pretty obviously on the man who burnt himself.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Choco1980 posted:

I like how in the VERY ARTICLE CITING WHAT THE SHOW SAYS they say that Dr Oz said not to "heat it up too hot!" and then go on to say that they're responsible when a dumbass who knows he has less feeling in his feet heats it up too hot. Dr. Oz is a dangerous quack, but this still seems pretty obviously on the man who burnt himself.

There's this magical thing called contributory negligence where it can legally be both parties' fault.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ElwoodCuse posted:

There's this magical thing called contributory negligence where it can legally be both parties' fault.

Yea, and I Doubt Oz even bothered to consider how hot the rice could get. A actual doctor would not recommend something that could be that dangerous at home without any over sight, or that at all because it doesn't work.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I have a severe anaphylactic allergy (read: my throat will swell up and, if I don't get to my epipen and, subsequently, the hospital there is a chance I'll just straight up die) to tree nuts. Note the distinction: tree nuts. I can have peanuts all I like, because peanuts are legumes, not nuts, and almost always a completely separate allergy from tree nut allergies. I ate peanut butter today and it was great. For people like me--or people with peanut allergies who can eat tree nuts, for that matter--that warning on the dry roasted peanuts that says that it may contain nuts isn't a "heh, how pointless, what idiot put this on there :smug:," it can literally be life and death. The more you know!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

''Take a hot foot bath to relax!''

I BOILED MY FEET

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

It's probably more of a publicity thing. It's less damaging to the show's image to say "whoops, our bad" than it is to say "wow, what a dumbass". Remember who their demographic is (It's not people who are smart).

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Ads on public transit often occupy that weird spot on the Venn diagram where "big enough buy to be seen by lots of people" and "small enough buy that nobody in the production chain realizes it's completely incomprehensible" overlap.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Ads on public transit often occupy that weird spot on the Venn diagram where "big enough buy to be seen by lots of people" and "small enough buy that nobody in the production chain realizes it's completely incomprehensible" overlap.

Umbrella's corporate rebranding going well.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I've seen some really slick transit ads/campaigns though, too. The more effective ones work through the force of repetition rather than individual exposures. IE once you've seen it for the 100th time on the commute to your crappy retail job, the ad for the "college" located behind the escalator in the mall (no, not the good mall) which says it can help you "become a paralegal!" will be speaking to you in a different way.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

So I live in Maine and this advertisement for a local roofing company features someone in a 'raindrop' costume, and it makes me laugh every time. For reference, the only reason I saw this ad (actually just a very similar one) is because it played before Star Wars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmjjBHxhffw

It's a short video, and there's more featuring "RAINDROP!!!" I can't hate it, the dude just seems so jolly.

Here's another, perhaps more baffling one, of the raindrop wandering around a Seadogs game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGWAZCLjCTY

RAINDROP!!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Amazing tagline though.

UNLOCKING THE POTENTIAL OF BLOOD

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

porkswordonboard posted:

So I live in Maine and this advertisement for a local roofing company features someone in a 'raindrop' costume, and it makes me laugh every time. For reference, the only reason I saw this ad (actually just a very similar one) is because it played before Star Wars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmjjBHxhffw

It's a short video, and there's more featuring "RAINDROP!!!" I can't hate it, the dude just seems so jolly.

Here's another, perhaps more baffling one, of the raindrop wandering around a Seadogs game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGWAZCLjCTY

RAINDROP!!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING

I wanna pose with the raindrop.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I've already got a full-time unpaid gig as a Blood Assembler, thanks though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Saw a lot of these on the train this year. They went away pretty quickly.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Wow. Just... Wow.

I heard a radio ad yesterday for a government assisted education initiative for 45 to 54 year olds that is supposed to, from what I can gather, help you further your career by looking at your already aquired skills and qualifications and get you working in a better job.

The thing is, the ad starts out like this:
(The background sounds are of a busy grocery store, giving the impression both these women are working retail on checkouts)
Woman 1: 20 years on Friday Jan! You must be pretty excited!
Woman 2: Yeah, I've been with the company a long time, but I just don't know if I can do this any more.
Woman 1: Well maybe you should give (whatever the gently caress company, I don't remember) a call, they'll (rest of spiel about what they do)
Woman 2: Okay, thanks! I'll give them a call!

The problem is, both women talk and sound like they're 20. The start is really confusing, because your first thought is "She's turning 20" but then you realise that they're talking about length of time working at a company and you think "wait on, she sounds far too young to have worked 20 years anywhere"

The result is the ad just doesn't seem genuine. It'd be like if Justin Beiber went around selling retirement plans.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Secunia, a company that makes software designed to keep your other software updated, recently got acquired by Flexera, a company that makes software installation and update products like InstallShield. Makes sense, right? Let's see what one of Secunia's products has to say about this.

Oh, what's this at the top? A horribly outdated library that Microsoft has abandoned, probably has tons of exploits, and can't be upgraded without breaking any software that depends on it? What company could possibly be lazy and stupid enough to keep using this library in their software?

…oh. Of course. :eng99:

Bonus: InstallShield is an official, recommended add-on… for Microsoft Visual Studio. Microsoft actually paid them money to make this.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mu Zeta posted:

Some of those were defaced in the best way.

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2015/01/ms-marvel-is-being-used-to-battle-islamophobic-bus-ads-in-san-francisco/

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Zaphod42 posted:

Just saw a truck go by plastered in ads, carrying this stuff:

Their tagline was "Have you tried it?" ;)

Haha, how clever. Because the name of our brand is a sex act. How titillating!

I mean I guess in a way the ad "worked" because I'm posting about it now, but its pretty stupid, and I instantly don't trust any vodka that has to use sex. Good Vodka just advertises that its good vodka. This stuff isn't, I'm guessing, very good.

Its like if Budweiser tried to take those commercials where they make it look like the beer gets you the attention of hot ladies, and then completely re-branded the company around it. Introducing NAKED HOT CHICKS beer! You're sure to have a good time with NAKED HOT CHICKS!

Also they had a big logo for GF - GLUTEN FREE CERTIFIED but considering its distilled alcohol, I would really hope so. In retrospect though I guess it is flavored vodka though and I guess some brands use flavor additives that have gluten? :v:

What do you mean you don't like sexy robots? :confused:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hey now, nobody said they don't like sexy robots. We're just questioning the appropriateness of it in this particular context.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
That thing has a Britney Spears face with Nicki Minaj rear end.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
That ad campaign still makes no sense. I don't understand why sexy(?) robots with nonsense taglines would sell alcohol.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

"free speech isn't a license to spread the hate "
Actually, it is.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tired Moritz posted:

That ad campaign still makes no sense. I don't understand why sexy(?) robots with nonsense taglines would sell alcohol.

Why WOULDN'T they?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Tired Moritz posted:

Because the fembot is one of the most durable mysoginyst fantasies.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
something something vodka sexbot 2033 gay fashion gene

:shepface:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I don't see a drat thing wrong with the idea of sexy robots as a marketing tool.

:roboluv:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

What do you mean you don't like sexy robots? :confused:

The problem with the campaign isn't sexy robots. The problem is that they're claiming that Svedka won't be worth drinking for another 16 years.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
What happens if you put your dick into this thing? At best you have cold panels with hard edges. At worst you're sticking it into machinery.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

AgentF posted:

What happens if you put your dick into this thing? At best you have cold panels with hard edges. At worst you're sticking it into machinery.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
After hearing my co-workers rave about the show Arrow, I finally, in a fit of boredom, decided to give it a go on Netflix. And it's actually pretty good, I'm enjoying it.

For those of you unfamiliar, it's a tv show about the Green Arrow, a DC comics character. He's a rich young playboy who gets shipwrecked on an island for 5 years, comes back with a notebook full of names of people who are bad, and goes around cleaning up the city with his new badass skills he aquired while on the island. There is also some family stuff thrown in, dealing with his uber-rich family and their problems, and his ex-girlfriend and stuff. All in all, it's not bad.

But what I don't understand is why all the ads I've seen for it on network television make out like the show is 95% rich white people problems: the serial instead of being what is essentially a knockoff Batman (with a family).

I'm being disparaging, but to be honest, I watch it to see the Green Arrow beat the poo poo out of bad guys, and find out what happened on the island that made him turn from a rich privileged douchebag into a bow weilding badass. All the advertisements I've seen focus almost entirely on the family drama side of things, and I don't give much of a gently caress about that. It's why I never bothered to watch the show until now.

Case in point, I remember an ad spot for an episode where the ad was all about how his equally rich entitled 17 year old sister got high and totalled her new convertable, and how his mother might have been lying to everyone about his father... What will the Arrow do?!

No mention of what actually happens, which is he kicks the poo poo out of a bunch of dudes, takes a drug dealer hostage, pins some guy to a roof with an arrow and gets involved with the Russian mob. All of which is much more interesting than what the ad prattled on about.

The Netflix episode descriptions are equally as bland; they talk only about what happens in the episode in regards to his family and home life, rarely mentioning his vigilante missions at all. It makes no sense.

If Batman did this:
"Next week on BATMAN, Bruce considers dating a supermodel, but feels sad about his late mother. Alfred reveals a secret that Bruce has long suspected."
You'd be like "Who gives a gently caress, I want to know if Batman is going to punch the riddler in the dick this week or curb stomp the penguin."

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

AgentF posted:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

princecoo posted:

After hearing my co-workers rave about the show Arrow, I finally, in a fit of boredom, decided to give it a go on Netflix. And it's actually pretty good, I'm enjoying it.

For those of you unfamiliar, it's a tv show about the Green Arrow, a DC comics character. He's a rich young playboy who gets shipwrecked on an island for 5 years, comes back with a notebook full of names of people who are bad, and goes around cleaning up the city with his new badass skills he aquired while on the island. There is also some family stuff thrown in, dealing with his uber-rich family and their problems, and his ex-girlfriend and stuff. All in all, it's not bad.

But what I don't understand is why all the ads I've seen for it on network television make out like the show is 95% rich white people problems: the serial instead of being what is essentially a knockoff Batman (with a family).

Is it really that much of a Batman knockoff? I've kind of been meaning to watch the show because I've always liked the Green Arrow from the comics and the DCAU, but that's disappointing to hear. The character was originally created in the 40s pretty much solely to capitalize on Batman's popularity, and nobody liked it. The comic really didn't take off until the 70s when they had him lose his fortune and become more of a progressive/environmentalist character to accompany the Robin Hood thing he has going on. It helped differentiate it from everything else out there, it sucks that they'd go back to the roots of having him be Batman except also an archer.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

AgentF posted:

You end up with this guy writing disparaging books about you:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

princecoo posted:

I'm being disparaging, but to be honest, I watch it to see the Green Arrow beat the poo poo out of bad guys, and find out what happened on the island that made him turn from a rich privileged douchebag into a bow weilding badass. All the advertisements I've seen focus almost entirely on the family drama side of things, and I don't give much of a gently caress about that. It's why I never bothered to watch the show until now.

Case in point, I remember an ad spot for an episode where the ad was all about how his equally rich entitled 17 year old sister got high and totalled her new convertable, and how his mother might have been lying to everyone about his father... What will the Arrow do?!

No mention of what actually happens, which is he kicks the poo poo out of a bunch of dudes, takes a drug dealer hostage, pins some guy to a roof with an arrow and gets involved with the Russian mob. All of which is much more interesting than what the ad prattled on about.

The Netflix episode descriptions are equally as bland; they talk only about what happens in the episode in regards to his family and home life, rarely mentioning his vigilante missions at all. It makes no sense.

If Batman did this:
"Next week on BATMAN, Bruce considers dating a supermodel, but feels sad about his late mother. Alfred reveals a secret that Bruce has long suspected."
You'd be like "Who gives a gently caress, I want to know if Batman is going to punch the riddler in the dick this week or curb stomp the penguin."

It's advertised that way because its on CW.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Wanamingo posted:

Is it really that much of a Batman knockoff? I've kind of been meaning to watch the show because I've always liked the Green Arrow from the comics and the DCAU, but that's disappointing to hear. The character was originally created in the 40s pretty much solely to capitalize on Batman's popularity, and nobody liked it. The comic really didn't take off until the 70s when they had him lose his fortune and become more of a progressive/environmentalist character to accompany the Robin Hood thing he has going on. It helped differentiate it from everything else out there, it sucks that they'd go back to the roots of having him be Batman except also an archer.

You basically get that progression in the show. It starts off all punching bad guys, but it grows from that. Not an amazing show, but a good watch.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

Well, he's a billionaire playboy by day, gadget using vigilante who hides his face by night, so yeah, pretty much. The biggest difference beween the two is the Arrow will straight up kill a motherfucker if required, and his arsenal of gadgets isn't anywhere near as good as Batmans. It's still worth giving a fair go, because it's not bad at all. I didn't watch it until now because I thought, from the official marketing, that it would be family drama filled poo poo, but I'm enjoying it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Season 3 was really, really bad for the family drama. A lot of "I know you need to save those thousands of orphans, but what about MY FEELINGS!!!!". This season has been a little better.

But show marketing was why I never watched Heroes. Every god drat ad was some stupid rhyme or gimmick. Save the Cheerleader, Save the World! Someone will fly and someone will die! Ugh its like they were actively trying to discourage me from watching the show.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

But show marketing was why I never watched Heroes. Every god drat ad was some stupid rhyme or gimmick. Save the Cheerleader, Save the World! Someone will fly and someone will die! Ugh its like they were actively trying to discourage me from watching the show.

You didn't miss much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wanamingo posted:

You didn't miss much.

From what I heard I just missed Zachary Quinto being a good villain.