Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Anyone that wants to get me half price Calth boxes please PM me. It sold like gangbusters here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

JerryLee posted:

Between TCM and the person taking their posts at face value, I don't know if I'd say it's TCM who needs the mental help.

The Internet is a serious place.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

serious gaylord posted:

Modest growth at constant currency isn't inherently bad. However they shouldn't be seeing a small decline with the launch of Calth in there. They should have been posting a massive spike.

I'll wait for the full report to see what bullshit they're pulling with moving numbers around.

I was always under the impression that HH was their Ace card to pull out when things get bad to give them a good spike? If even that's not enough to bump them into even a slight growth...

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Daedleh posted:

I was always under the impression that HH was their Ace card to pull out when things get bad to give them a good spike? If even that's not enough to bump them into even a slight growth...

I remember talking to Graham McNeill back when the HH book series first launched and saying thy should do 30k. He said they'd thought about it but were worried it would cannabalise 40k sales too much.

However 40k is a mess, sales have been falling for years and a mass vet migration to 30k is better than a mass vet migration to other companies.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK, I don't think the GW statement is being understood correctly here.

It's a statement about sales, not profits. So, if sales were modestly up, then they were modestly up, and the affect of constant currency conversions is not a bullshit excuse, it's a mathematical fact that can and will be shown in the financial reporting. Every international company has to take it into account in their reports. The investors who are reading these reports will be seeing identical statements from every other British company doing business in Europe and the rest of the world, and will be neither surprised nor concerned about it.

What is conspicuously not being mentioned in that little blurb is costs. Creating and marketing Age of Sigmar probably pushed costs up, even while GW has been cutting labor costs. So my guess is that we'll see a financial report with a modest uptick in gross sales revenues, a modest downtick in gross sales after accounting for currency conversions, and a flat or higher cost of doing business, resulting in a poor but not terrible profit statement.

GW is still likely profitable, though, so its demise is still not imminent. It will still be able to pay the dividends that its major stakeholders love it for. Where GW may be in trouble is how its severe austerity measures with regards to labor begin to have downstream effects on its ability to retain talent, and the costs associated with higher turnover in staffing.

Secondly, yes you make plastic out of oil, but the actual material cost of the plastic has got to be the smallest component of the costs of making miniatures, come on. Plastic is incredibly cheap, most of the costs are in tooling and labor! The fact that your three cents of plastic for your sprue now costs two cents for that sprue is insignificant by comparison. Even special high-quality super miniatures-making plastic is just hilariously cheap compared to everything else that goes into product manufacture. There's a reason everything is made of plastic these days and it's got little to do with the falling price of oil. My guess is that the full-color printed cardboard box a sprue of GW plastic is put in costs significantly more than the actual plastic the sprue is made of, and did even five+ years ago when oil was peaking.

Speaking of the oil market, we talk about it a lot in the stock trading megathread, if anyone is interested in analysis of the oil markets. We've been discussing it recently so just skim the last ten pages or so.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
The fact you have just compared AOS to the fat steaming turd of warmachine is a disgrace!!! The models look crap and the prices are just as exorbitant as AOS!! But AOS wins because the models look better. The only thing that I enjoyed from privateer press was the p3 paint system which I use on my AOS models.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
P3 from Privateer Press is more than just a line of paints and brushes, it's hobby in a bottle. And also on a stick. It's technique on tap. Wet blending from both ends of the palette. Which is also wet. It's why we call it a paint system. Let other companies push out their tired rebottles of Crayola starter acrylics from the 99 cent store. At privateer, we have a letter of marquee which guarantees that we will plunder only the shipping of the queen's sworn enemies, and pass it on to you. And who are the queen's sworn enemies? Masterclass hobby miniature painters. Their blood will invigorate you; that's why we put 10 drops in ever P3 vial of liquid talent. Unlock your genius, and get out of the game so that you can get back in the game, as a better you.

P3 Paint System: We'll shade the gently caress out of your crevices and then highlight your ridges in 3 stages.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

For real though, I've learned more from Privateer painting guides than I ever did from 'Eavy Metal.

There's some really non-intuitive stuff in those, like mixing brass with green-grey to shade brass.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

OK, I don't think the GW statement is being understood correctly here.

While costs for marketing will increase with the release of a new product line in Age of Sigmar, you are likely overstating these costs--as Games Workshop seems to work exclusively through owned and earned media channels and do not employ a full-time marketing staff, the costs of marketing Age of Sigmar will be based primarily on promotions, while the costs of their email, website, and retailer marketing programs are likely already covered by existing contracts and platform licenses.

While it is true that the actual material cost is the smallest part of the cost behind a given model, at scale this savings is far from negligible, particularly as the size and weight of plastic kits increases. Oil prices dropping substantially below $50 per barrel through 2015 means that the materials cost to Games Workshop may have fallen by as much as 50% in 2015, depending on the type of plastic they use. If Games Workshop posted only a modest increase in sales but saw a significant decrease in costs, it stands to reason that their profits could have still increased in 2015, regardless of the currency adjustment.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 23, 2015

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

TheChirurgeon posted:

OK, I don't think our posts are being understood correctly here.

We understand that sales showed modest growth, and that this is affected by currency. We expressed surprise at this statement, given the expectation that sales should be up significantly more given the release of a plastic Horus Heresy box set. We also mentioned that this could be related to poor sales for Age of Sigmar.

At the same time, while costs for marketing will increase with the release of a new product line in Age of Sigmar, you are likely overstating these costs--as Games Workshop seems to work exclusively through owned and earned media channels and do not employ a full-time marketing staff, the costs of marketing Age of Sigmar will be based primarily on promotions, while the costs of their email, website, and retailer marketing programs are likely already covered by existing contracts and platform licenses. Additionally, I mentioned that the cost of oil has decreased, leading to lower costs for plastic production. This will also extend to some of their packaging and accessories. While it is true that the actual material cost is the smallest part of the cost behind a given model, at scale this savings is far from negligible, particularly as the size and weight of plastic kits increases. Oil prices dropping substantially below $50 per barrel through 2015 means that the materials cost to Games Workshop may have fallen by as much as 50% in 2015, depending on the type of plastic they use. If Games Workshop posted only a modest increase in sales but saw a significant decrease in costs, it stands to reason that their profits could have still increased in 2015, regardless of the currency adjustment.

Actually if Leperflesh is right about plastic being a few cents per sprue then that is, in fact, negligible. Gesturing at "scale" doesn't change anything, since what matters (for answering the question at hand) is what proportion of costs it accounts for.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

P3 Paint System: We'll shade the gently caress out of your crevices and then highlight your ridges in 3 stages.
My brain read P3 as "three penis" for a split-second and the rest of your post was in jon lajoie's voice in my head

It was downright sexy

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Actually if Leperflesh is right about plastic being a few cents per sprue then that is, in fact, negligible. Gesturing at "scale" doesn't change anything, since what matters (for answering the question at hand) is what proportion of costs it accounts for.

Ugh to quoting this before my edit.

Leperflesh isn't wrong about the cost in that sense--depending on the plastic (I think they use polystyrene), they're looking at something like a few cents per sprue, depending on the weight. You make a good point about the proportion, though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also GW actually went to a lot of unusual effort to promote Age of Sigmar. Not to the degree a sensible company would promote its products, of course, but they hired people to go push it.

But I think more of their AoS costs are tied up in poo poo like labor costs to develop the products, the money spent developing the new Sigmarine and Khorne kits and that ridiculously expensive khorne khastle, etc.

Plastic is extremely cheap, on the order of a US dollar a pound for stuff like non-recycled PVC and LDPE. Across the board, all of the commodity plastics range between maybe 75 cents and maybe a dollar and a quarter for the really expensive stuff. So we'll call it a dollar.

I just happen to have a complete Lizardman Bastiladon box here, so I'll just get out my high-accuracy electronic scale...

the entire plastic contents, including the base, weighs 4.4 ounces. The three sprues weigh 1.2, 1.3, and 1.6 ounces. If we assume that this box has lightweight sprues and that the average sprue is more like 2 ounces, then a sprue costs around an eighth of a dollar in raw plastic, or around 12.5 cents. And if we assume a typical box from Citadel weighs more like six ounces, then its entire contents are still only around 75 cents of plastic.

So if GW's plastic costs have dropped by a factor of three, they're still only saving maybe a buck fifty a box at most. It's just not a big part of the cost of manufacture.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 23, 2015

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

It's the same reason why Revell sells a 50 year old ex-matchbox model kits for :tenbux: while a new tooling jet is $30-50. The cost of plastic sprues is in the layout, tooling, and die creation. Sculpting their bulshit sigmarines is probably not cheap considering how fiddly those are.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 23, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Jonny Nox posted:

It's the same reason why Revell sells a 50 year old ex-matchbox model kits for :texbux: while a new tooling jet is $30-50. The cost of plastic sprues is in the layout, tooling, and die creation. Sculpting their bulshit sigmarines is probably not cheap considering how fiddly those are.

Isn't the sculpting for sigmarines (and any other neo-GW stuff) pretty much the most CAD :effort: thing ever, though?

Machining the molds I could see being a lot more expensive given how many spikes they have to put in.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Well, it's like that old saying. 'Anything can be expensive when you're embezzling millions of dollars by overpaying your wife for IT services she likely never performs.'

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Could it be that Calth didn't do so hot because people are still waiting for the other AoS shoe to fall on 40K? The CEO did say the AoS treatment was in process for the other line. It'd be kind of funny if AoS is such a black hole it's drawing every thing else down around it like some kind of reality ball of despair

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Calth's lack of success is absolutely due to the fact that it has no merits other than being a large box of Space Marines. The game itself is unwanted trash, as evidenced by the miniature-less copies going for $4 on eBay. The only people who bought it bought it for the Space Marine minis.

That's not a way to sell a board game.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm thinking of printing out x-wing cards so I can just buy cheap micromachines and use them as models instead

got a cool y-wing in front of me

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Moola posted:

I'm thinking of printing out x-wing cards so I can just buy cheap micromachines and use them as models instead

next you're going to tell me you're just going to paint the arm of an old c3po doll red instead of buying a new The Force Awakens: Black Series C3P0, which i think is illegal and i'm going to snitch on you

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I literally stole this y-wing from Tesco

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tesco deserve it.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

should I paint my imperial assault threepio so he has a red arm??

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Moola posted:

I mentioned getting the card data, and using the real models at my FLGS, and the wang-players there said that would Not be ok, and they let one guy off not having a real, original copy of a card for each time he wanted to use it as if they where doing him a favor.
'cos I need to pay shitloads for 3 lambda shuttles so my TIEs can fight effectively.

My local X-wangs is full of grogs, is what I'm saying.

vvv This is just for friendlies, nothing official (I'd expect to have to have everything Real, in multiple copies to play in a Torny of course) - and having a Real copy of a card and saying 'oh, that's on Those 2 ships' is hardly forging.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 24, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You just need to make friends with a better class of card-forger. What are the Star Wars all about if not breaking the law for fun and profit?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Moola posted:

You'd have to make dial substitute for it too.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
pretty easy to make

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Would someone please link the backstory why goldenrod had a red arm because I'm sure it's fascinating.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Renfield posted:

vvv This is just for friendlies, nothing official (I'd expect to have to have everything Real, in multiple copies to play in a Torny of course) - and having a Real copy of a card and saying 'oh, that's on Those 2 ships' is hardly forging.

Just get some good quality scans, a decent colour-printer, and put them on the table in little plastic wallets. If anyone objects tell them that you refuse to take your real cards to the shop because (look around shiftily and lean in to whisper [you might need to hold your breath]) "some people here steal them". Then knee them in the balls, call them a nerd and run out of there with all their stuff.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LingcodKilla posted:

Would someone please link the backstory why goldenrod had a red arm because I'm sure it's fascinating.

this is a real Topps card

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 24, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moola posted:

Then print out the movement dial and the card for the base and you'll be all set.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

goatface posted:

Just get some good quality scans, a decent colour-printer, and put them on the table in little plastic wallets. If anyone objects tell them that you refuse to take your real cards to the shop because (look around shiftily and lean in to whisper [you might need to hold your breath]) "some people here steal them". Then knee them in the balls, call them a nerd and run out of there with all their stuff.

...And this is why I'm playing Infinity where all the rules are free

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I dunno if you realize this moola but the actual model of the ship is completely superfluous and unnecessary for playing xwangs. Since the base shows facing and all the info is on there and the cards and stuff the ship itself is completely decorative.

So just go ahead and print out the cards for every ship in xwangs and play with whatever you want

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

this is a real Topps card

Wow. He really missed his calling as a pleasure bot.

Question still not answered.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

Also GW actually went to a lot of unusual effort to promote Age of Sigmar. Not to the degree a sensible company would promote its products, of course, but they hired people to go push it.

I agree with you on the savings--GW almost certainly doesn't produce enough units for a $1 per unit savings to be significant.

I also agree on AoS' primary costs coming from the development and production, especially given the supposedly quick turnaround. If they did incur additional marketing costs, those would be negligible, at best.

From what I can tell, Games Workshop marketing consists of the following (don't let. the "we do no marketing" statement fool you--These are all marketing functions being handled within GW):
- Owned Media (the Games Workshop site, Facebook sites, YouTube Channel, White Dwarf magazine, and any other print or social properties)
- Earned Media (BolS, Faeit, Dakka, Warseer, and other sites that both carry water for GW and also double as PR/news outlets for new releases)
- E-Mail (to a list of registered users from the site)
- An Events strategy/team/coordinator responsible for planning the company's meager presence at events like GenCon and potentially planning their Warhammer World (and the like) events
- In the case of AoS, a group of sales representatives who contacted shops about the game in advance (with somewhat laughable results)
- Limited PR giveaways to specific influencers in the hobby, such as Ghost Hand back when he did his podcast and select stores

And that appears to be it. If I've ever seen one, I haven't seen an actual ad for a Games Workshop tabletop game or product in years online or in print (outside of a GW property, that is), but the more striking omission is that GW doesn't appear to be employing either paid search nor an SEO strategy to drive consumers to their site. This is evident from some cursory searches--The GW site doesn't appear as a result on page 1 of Google's results for "fantasy miniatures," "sci-fi miniatures," or "miniatures wargame," and hilariously the Games Workshop site is the last page 1 result that shows up when you search for "Space Marine." SEO and paid search are very cheap channels to get into (SEO will cost a company like GW maybe $3k a year) and represent the standard blocking-and-tackling of online advertising.

I may be missing something but as far as I can tell, the call center reps were the new wrinkle for AoS marketing, but those costs seem significant only in comparison to GW's pathetic expenditures prior to AoS. And yeah, even if I missed something, there's no way they promoted it to a level commensurate with the release of a new core product.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 24, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

LingcodKilla posted:

Wow. He really missed his calling as a pleasure bot.

Question still not answered.

Threepio's red arm is supposed to be covered in a comic coming out soon. It was supposed to release alongside the movie, but Marvel had a big delay.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Scrolling through some old WD's looking for a certain model I came across this.

My guess is that they decided to use a chart similar to this one from 1988 for the naming of the Gorebloodband Gores and StormLightning Storms.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I dunno if you realize this moola but the actual model of the ship is completely superfluous and unnecessary for playing xwangs. Since the base shows facing and all the info is on there and the cards and stuff the ship itself is completely decorative.

So just go ahead and print out the cards for every ship in xwangs and play with whatever you want

I know this

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
my daemon name is Dogfondle Fleshnibble

edit: no wait, Glopspurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

fnordcircle posted:

Scrolling through some old WD's looking for a certain model I came across this.

My guess is that they decided to use a chart similar to this one from 1988 for the naming of the Gorebloodband Gores and StormLightning Storms.

I'm Lewdsuck Taintsweat

• Locked thread