Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm playing one of my longtime Wang buddies tomorrow, the one who runs Chewie + Horton Salm most of the time, and I'm gonna try out the Wedge stressbot build of yours, Strobe. I don't have Integrated Astromechs yet, hopefully by Tuesday. He's also cool with proxying stuff so maybe I'll give it a spin anyway.

Theme and variation on Dutch Courage:

Wedge Antilles
-Predator
-R5 Astromech
-Integrated Astromech

Wes Janson
-Veteran Instincts
-Flechette Torpedoes
-R3-A2

Dutch Vander
-Twin Laser Turret
-R5 Astromech

That puts me at 97 points. I had to drop Seismic Charges off of Dutch to make it fly which I feel sort of reluctant to do, I've grown pretty fond of those things, but I really want to keep that initiative bid strong so I'm reluctant to push things up to 99-100 points. Maybe put a Targeting Astromech on Dutch instead of the R5? Could R5-K6 possibly be useful here? Or I could keep the Opportunist/R2 loadout on Wedge but to be honest I've been meaning to move away from Opportunist for a bit now, it's a bit too feast-or-famine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Babby's first list:

"Redline" (27)
Fire-Control System (2)
Extra Munitions (2)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Major Rhymer (26)
Marksmanship (3)
Extra Munitions (2)
Advanced Proton Torpedoes (6)
Advanced Homing Missiles (3)
Experimental Interface (3)

"Epsilon Leader" (19)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Is this just WAY too expensive and squishy or does it hit hard enough to balance that out?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

ghetto wormhole posted:

Babby's first list:

"Redline" (27)
Fire-Control System (2)
Extra Munitions (2)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Cluster Missiles (4)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Major Rhymer (26)
Marksmanship (3)
Extra Munitions (2)
Advanced Proton Torpedoes (6)
Advanced Homing Missiles (3)
Experimental Interface (3)

"Epsilon Leader" (19)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

quote:

Is this just WAY too expensive and squishy

Yes.

quote:

or does it hit hard enough to balance that out?

No, unfortunately.

Major Rhymer will never survive long enough to fire his 11 points of munitions. It's doubtful that he'll even fire more than one volley. That's 43 points of ship with zero shields, 2 green dice, and 6 hull. TIE Bombers in general are really poo poo right now. They'll be getting a buff in the Imperial Veterans pack in the next couple of months.

Your Redline is cool, but drop the TIE Mk II, it doesn't really do much for the Punisher. Punishers aren't A-Grade ships right now, but they can be made to work - You just need to support them with things like TIE Swarms or a Decimator. Punishers can put the hurt on, but they're quite fragile and unmaneuverable. Engage with your other ships first, then swing your Punisher in to do some damage. Redline with Cluster Missiles and Fire Control System is pretty legit.

You've got two fragile, clumsy ordnance cows making up most of your list - Any list with any semblance of maneuverability will fly circles around you without even trying. And you don't even really have the firepower to make up for it.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 23, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
What's the collectible model of this game?

I mean, in most collectible FFG lines, like LCGs or something it's "probably multiple core sets" + 1x of everything else, but how does it look like in this game, between two different core sets, aces packs reissuing models with new cards and poo poo?

Is it generally 1x of everything or more list-based, like a classic tabletop miniatures game ("I better get another A-Wing pack to get an extra green squadron pilot for my three Millenium Falcons list")?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Depends on if you're flying in tourneys or just playing casually. If you're just flyin' some wangs with your friends, you get one of everything that you want to fly and proxy the cards that you don't have.

With tourney play, you absolutely must have one copy of every model and card you want to fly. So sometimes that necessitates buying duplicate modes just to get a one-off upgrade or something.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

jivjov posted:

Depends on if you're flying in tourneys or just playing casually. If you're just flyin' some wangs with your friends, you get one of everything that you want to fly and proxy the cards that you don't have.

With tourney play, you absolutely must have one copy of every model and card you want to fly. So sometimes that necessitates buying duplicate modes just to get a one-off upgrade or something.

A lot of ships, you only really need one of, like E-wings, but some you'll need multiples of, like Z-95s and TIE fighters.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Lichtenstein posted:

I mean, in most collectible FFG lines, like LCGs or something it's "probably multiple core sets" + 1x of everything else, but how does it look like in this game, between two different core sets, aces packs reissuing models with new cards and poo poo?

Is it generally 1x of everything or more list-based, like a classic tabletop miniatures game ("I better get another A-Wing pack to get an extra green squadron pilot for my three Millenium Falcons list")?

Every package comes with the same fixed cards. FFG is quite devious in spreading these cards out between the packs - For instance, Predator, an extremely powerful card used in very many lists, only comes packaged with two ships - the Imperial TIE Defender and the Scum Khirakz Fighter. So if you want to use Predator in your Rebel list, you're gonna have to buy either of those - Even if you have no interest in playing anything other than your rebel list.

Other than that, you need to buy the ships you're actually planning on using.

The upside is that only the uncoolest of nerds, and official tournaments, will take issue with people proxying and printing cards. So if you want to play the game casually, it's not an issue.

However, if you're like most people here, you're probably going to enter this with the intention to play it casually and only buy the coolest ships, and before you know it you own one or more of every ship in the game. :smith:

edit: Re: Core sets - The old core set with the oldschool X-Wing and TIE Fighters has an outdated rulebook and damage deck. The new core set with the Episode 7 X-Wang and TIEs has the current one. You're probably going to want to buy the new one. But naturally, the old core set has some pilots and upgrades which are exclusive to the old core set...

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 23, 2015

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

Lichtenstein posted:

The biggest difference with a regular tabletop is that you have to have physical copies of the actual upgrade cards/pilots to use them in official tournaments. While you can proxy a lot of stuff in casual games (or even casual tornaments), you'll end up buying multiple ships (even some you won't use in a specific list) just for some upgrade cards . You can't just print a list of a squadbuilder and show up. YMMV at how casual/strict tourneys are in your scene though. Even though I had all the upgrade cards at most tourneys, nobody bothered to check.

You do have to have at least a physical copy of the ship + pilot card though. People will want to see at least that on the table if you're playing. So if you want to fly 5 A-wings, you'll have to pony up for 5 A-wings.

So, yes, you'll probably have to buy some expansions of the same type and maybe some expansions just for some upgrade cards that aren't included in expansions you already have.

Also; it's a really cost-effective way to get more ships/dice/new damage deck/spare range ruler and maneuver templates if you buy the previous and current core set. Dice are the biggest problem, as there are too few in one core. It becomes a hassle re-rolling stuff and keeping track after a while.

Edit; and beaten

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Lichtenstein posted:

Buy the new starter, but pick up the Luke, Biggs, R2 F2 and R2D2 off ebay. People should have plenty of spares.

Basically there are 2 unique X-wing Aces and 3 unique Tie Fighter Aces and two astromechs you can't get anywhere else. R2 D2 is definitely worth having.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

However, if you're like most people here, you're probably going to enter this with the intention to play it casually and only buy the coolest ships, and before you know it you own one or more of every ship in the game. :smith:

God this is so true. At the start of the year I bought 2 starter sets and a TIE, X-wing set, played it on and off with some friends to begin with and now I own everything :negative:

EDIT: And now I see the Imperial Assault Carrier for sale.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 23, 2015

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Strobe posted:

No. You roll your dice. Once you look at your dice, you decide whether to spend target locks or focus tokens. I don't think there's an explicit order there, but you should always always always always spend target locks (if you spend them at all) before you spend focus. Then, once you have finished modifying your dice, the defender rolls. Once the defender rolls, he or she decides whether to use any focus or evade tokens (or rerolls from Lone Wolf or Serissu). Finally, the number of results are compared, with hits and crits matching up against evades. Evade tokens count as evade dice results for the purposes of this step.

Thank you everyone for these clarifications, the rules book are pretty simple but somewhat unclear on this!

Does the defender get to see the attackers dice roll before they roll or use modifiers?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Chairman Pow! posted:

Thank you everyone for these clarifications, the rules book are pretty simple but somewhat unclear on this!

Does the defender get to see the attackers dice roll before they roll or use modifiers?

Yep, the attacker rolls all their dice and finishes modifying before the defender even rolls. Unless they have some special ability/card that says otherwise.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah. You buy everything eventually no matter what your intentions in the beginning.

Concentrate on a viable 100 point force for each side first. Two T-70 X wings are a good start.

To be fair two copies of the starter and a T-70 and a T-FO blister should get you two 100 point forces, though how good the FO side would be would be a matter of discussion.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I will put a "common mistakes" section in the OP in the next day or two. I'm spending this evening running back and forth to the airport so I'm not sure if I'll get to it tonight.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Strobe posted:

Couple more things to add:
1) Attacker rolls dice, modifies dice. Then defender rolls dice, modifies dice. Then compare results. The attacker does not get to see the defender's dice before deciding whether to spend tokens or target locks.

On this note I want to bring something up because it's the most commonly messed up nitnoidy detail I see but it's also kinda important.

1) Attacker rolls red dice
2) Defender chooses to modify incoming red dice
3) Attacker chooses to modify the red dice

Then:
4) Defender rolls green dice
5) Attacker chooses to modify the rolled green dice
6) Defender chooses to modify the green dice.

Lots of people go "attacker rolls, attacker modifies reds, defender modifies reds" which is wrong. With cards like Juke or R7 Astromech it's important to do stuff in the right order.

Also, if a die is rerolled (like by R7 Astromech) it can't be rerolled again (like if the attacker has a Target Lock).

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 23, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thundercloud posted:

Yeah. You buy everything eventually no matter what your intentions in the beginning.
:agreed: I play a list using stuff from 2+ years ago and still get all the new stuff. It's mostly to paint and I should have time to paint soon after all the Xmas preparations.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
On THAT note, my FLGS got the Assault Carrier in today but I'm up in Illinois visiting family for Christmas :negative:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

So if you decide to dock your tie figures onto the carrier, be careful pulling them off.

Excuse me, I'm off to buy super glue.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Thundercloud posted:

Concentrate on a viable 100 point force for each side first. Two T-70 X wings are a good start.

To be fair two copies of the starter and a T-70 and a T-FO blister should get you two 100 point forces, though how good the FO side would be would be a matter of discussion.

I'm still a newb but TIE/fo feel really maneuverable with those janky bank flips they can do. I also really like Poe Dameron. I liked him in the movie, and in the game he seems to consistently get it done when he's on the table (BB-8 for barrel rolls is pretty sweet).

Q: what set is Artoo in? X-wing blister?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

I'm still a newb but TIE/fo feel really maneuverable with those janky bank flips they can do. I also really like Poe Dameron. I liked him in the movie, and in the game he seems to consistently get it done when he's on the table (BB-8 for barrel rolls is pretty sweet).

Q: what set is Artoo in? X-wing blister?

Original starter. Poe with BB8 is more maneuverable, with R2D2 more survivable.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's worth just buying both starters, especially since they hover around $24. Getting the cards, a T-65 two TIEs and a second set of dice makes the "outdated" core a no brainer for that price.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Also get the xwing booster to get Wedge Motherfucking Antillies

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

jivjov posted:

I will put a "common mistakes" section in the OP in the next day or two. I'm spending this evening running back and forth to the airport so I'm not sure if I'll get to it tonight.

Another common mistake is to make sure you know exactly which way your TIE's and TIE f/o's are facing since they are pretty much perfectly symmetrical and at a quick glance it's easy to mess up which side is the front and which side is the back.

Not that I have ever done that, of course.

I mean, you can just look at the firing arc on the tile on the base.

I've never flew a TIE off the board because of this.

Never.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

At the last tournament I went to, my opponent placed one of his TIE/fos backwards in the starting area.

He flew it backwards for a few turns and didnt' realize what he'd done until it was time to shoot.

I just let him turn it around because, hey, it obviously wasn't his intention to point it backwards.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

Yes.

No, unfortunately.

Major Rhymer will never survive long enough to fire his 11 points of munitions. It's doubtful that he'll even fire more than one volley. That's 43 points of ship with zero shields, 2 green dice, and 6 hull. TIE Bombers in general are really poo poo right now. They'll be getting a buff in the Imperial Veterans pack in the next couple of months.

Your Redline is cool, but drop the TIE Mk II, it doesn't really do much for the Punisher. Punishers aren't A-Grade ships right now, but they can be made to work - You just need to support them with things like TIE Swarms or a Decimator. Punishers can put the hurt on, but they're quite fragile and unmaneuverable. Engage with your other ships first, then swing your Punisher in to do some damage. Redline with Cluster Missiles and Fire Control System is pretty legit.

You've got two fragile, clumsy ordnance cows making up most of your list - Any list with any semblance of maneuverability will fly circles around you without even trying. And you don't even really have the firepower to make up for it.

Datapoint: I flew a Rhymer + 2 Gammas list against Brobots, and Rhymer survived to shoot his magazines dry. To no effect, of course, because of the Aggressor's bullshit 3 Agility, but still.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Made it to the finals of my league with this build:

Han Solo (46)
Lone Wolf (2)
Chewbacca (4)
Luke Skywalker (7)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Miranda Doni (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Tactician (2)

I've got to beat the winner of a loser's bracket just once out of two games.

So far, it's served me well, but there are a lot of changes I would make if I wasn't locked in for the whole playoff.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

enigmahfc posted:

Another common mistake is to make sure you know exactly which way your TIE's and TIE f/o's are facing since they are pretty much perfectly symmetrical and at a quick glance it's easy to mess up which side is the front and which side is the back.

Not that I have ever done that, of course.

I mean, you can just look at the firing arc on the tile on the base.

I've never flew a TIE off the board because of this.

Never.

Oh, and make sure the firing arc on the base and the front of your ship are facing the same way--I've flown missions agains whole squadrons against TIEs driving in reverse because my friend put the models on the base backwards.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
I flew Rhymer in a match today. It didn't help that I flew against two Ties, Soontir and a defender, because high agility shrugged off my advanced homing missiles. I'll make a bomber list work someday!

I actually had a guy once in a tourney do the Tie-backwards thing, and after a tight turn, promptly flew it off the board. I gave him the chance to re-set his dial (as he was the first to move anyways) but he stuck to his maneuver. I always double-check since that happened

Edit for spelling gud

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I always rotate my dial in my hand, so that the little maneuver arrow is the same direction as the front of my ship (assuming it's not still facing directly away from me). This saves me from going the wrong direction at least once a game.

Also, for new players, I don't know if this is in the OP already or not, but this is by far the most useful thing I've ever read on this game: Maneuver Guide

Once I saw that my instances of bumping/running over rocks dropped by about 90%.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
You know a little trick that helped me immensely once I started doing it? When you're setting maneuvers for a ship, turn the whole dial so the "cutout" portion lines up with where the ship in question's firing arc is pointed. I've never accidentally selected a maneuver of the wrong direction (i.e. left when I meant to go right) since I started doing that. Seems obvious in retrospect, but it took me a few games when I was just starting out for it to click.

e;fb

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I should have gotten the Scum and Villainy starter before it went up in price. Oh well, I'll only mostly want to play Empire and Rebels, anyway.

Has anyone concocted some Battle of Hoth rules? I have a couple micro machines Snowspeeders and AT-STs and a Disney die-cast AT-AT.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

The Gate posted:

Also, for new players, I don't know if this is in the OP already or not, but this is by far the most useful thing I've ever read on this game: Maneuver Guide

Yep, this guide was huge for me. It should probably go in the OP.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I should have gotten the Scum and Villainy starter before it went up in price. Oh well, I'll only mostly want to play Empire and Rebels, anyway.

There are half a dozen copies at my local Barnes and Nobel.

It's being reprinted, also

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Is it weird that you can't sideslip in X-Wing? I feel like it's kind of weird. How am I supposed to fly Lieutenant Lorrir if I can't sideslip too much?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

General Battuta posted:

Is it weird that you can't sideslip in X-Wing? I feel like it's kind of weird. How am I supposed to fly Lieutenant Lorrir if I can't sideslip too much?

Do you mean barrel roll?

There are a lot of ships that have barrel roll ability.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The Gate posted:

I always rotate my dial in my hand, so that the little maneuver arrow is the same direction as the front of my ship (assuming it's not still facing directly away from me). This saves me from going the wrong direction at least once a game.

Once I saw that my instances of bumping/running over rocks dropped by about 90%.

Once flew two ships off the table at full health in a tournament because they were facing me and i accidentally did hard right instead of hard left. Started holding the dial upside down when I did maneuvers for ships facing me right after that.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

There are half a dozen copies at my local Barnes and Nobel.

It's being reprinted, also

Mine doesn't have any. Maybe I'll try the one in the next town over, they tend to have better stock.

A friend of mine brought over his K-Wing and I really loved it, went to B&N to get one and they didn't have any. Just got one off Amazon. Miranda Doni is really awesome.

I think I want to build a team with Miranda, Poe Dameron, a B-Wing (as they're super tanky) and maybe something else like an A-Wing or Z-95 as they're cheap.

I tend to not really go for gimmicky builds, when playing Imperials I like swarms and when rebels I like B-Wings because my opponent needs to chew through a lot of hit points before I go down. I either like having a lot of big numbers, or a lot of ships which means more guns to point at my enemy that happen to be expendable.

I also just got the TIE Punisher recently. It may look really stupid, but is it good?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Mine doesn't have any. Maybe I'll try the one in the next town over, they tend to have better stock.

A friend of mine brought over his K-Wing and I really loved it, went to B&N to get one and they didn't have any. Just got one off Amazon. Miranda Doni is really awesome.

I think I want to build a team with Miranda, Poe Dameron, a B-Wing (as they're super tanky) and maybe something else like an A-Wing or Z-95 as they're cheap.

I tend to not really go for gimmicky builds, when playing Imperials I like swarms and when rebels I like B-Wings because my opponent needs to chew through a lot of hit points before I go down. I either like having a lot of big numbers, or a lot of ships which means more guns to point at my enemy that happen to be expendable.

I also just got the TIE Punisher recently. It may look really stupid, but is it good?

Here's my favorite Poe/Miranda/B-Wing build:
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v3!s!175:27,-1,3,-1:-1:15:;139:135,-1,-1,-1,61,-1,-1:-1:-1:;44:43,-1,-1,-1:-1:-1:

B-Wing turns into a very annoying blocker with advanced sensors. Poe and Miranda dance circles and regenerate any glancing damage.

Punisher is fun, but not top tier. Deathrain is the best bomber in the game, and Redline is the best missile platform. But they're expensive for what they give you.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Here's my favorite Poe/Miranda/B-Wing build:
https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v3!s!175:27,-1,3,-1:-1:15:;139:135,-1,-1,-1,61,-1,-1:-1:-1:;44:43,-1,-1,-1:-1:-1:

B-Wing turns into a very annoying blocker with advanced sensors. Poe and Miranda dance circles and regenerate any glancing damage.

Punisher is fun, but not top tier. Deathrain is the best bomber in the game, and Redline is the best missile platform. But they're expensive for what they give you.

I've never actually had any success with bombs ever and never use TIE Bombers so I probably won't use the Punisher much at all, but I like collecting ships and some of the cards are good.

Kinda wish they could do an Assault Gunboat or TIE Avenger, though. Anybody get any of those 3D printed ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ConfusedUs posted:

Do you mean barrel roll?

There are a lot of ships that have barrel roll ability.

Nah, although a barrel roll and then a straight gets kind of the same effect. A sideslip would be a bank or turn template that moved you forward and to the left/right, but left your nose on the same heading you started at.

I don't think it's necessary in any way, it'd just be neat. I have no idea how you'd fit it into maneuver dials.

• Locked thread