Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

I need to watch this movie. Henry Rollins is one of my favorite people.

Do it. If you want to see what you're in for, watch the first half of the trailer. But really just buy it sight unseen if you like Henry Rollins. I rented it for 6 bucks, which was a seven day rental, and I've watched it 3 times.

Also, and this is a weird note, it shows up twice on amazon prime. I read a comment that says the one with the red poster is actually an error and is some completely unrelated movie. People are looking into it. I got the white poster one and it's the right movie, so :shrug:

I'm not shutting up about this movie until some people here watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

corny B-movie actor Henry Rollins is not really my favorite stage of his career. I prefer his corny hardcore singer and corny spoken word guy phases.

Anonymous Robot posted:

What good hip-hop albums came out this year that aren't wobbly club tracks or Kendrick Lamar soundalikes?

I think I heard the Ghostface one was good

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snak posted:

As far as I know, Looper occupies the awkward space where it's not "scientifically accurate" enough for "nerds" and it's too nerdy for people who aren't into scifi.

Incidentally, I made several brief posts before about He Never Died, directed by Jason Krawczyk and starring Henry Rollins. These posts wrongfully alluded to the film having flaws. It is a perfect film.

I'm gonna go watch it for the fourth time.

Time travel is impossible so it can never be scientifically accurate hth

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm only one track into the new Rick Ross but drat it's pretty rad. This is the line that got it pulled from Wal-Mart: "assassinate Trump as if my name was Zimmerman/accept these words as if they came from Eminem"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've come to grips with the fact that I'm that guy who likes extremely little hip hop released after like 1997

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Holy crap I didn't realize Ghostface's album this year is a sequel to Twelve Reasons to Die. Picking that up asap

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

corny B-movie actor Henry Rollins is not really my favorite stage of his career. I prefer his corny hardcore singer and corny spoken word guy phases.

I dunno, his turn in Wrong Turn 2 is fun. Oh also playing against type in Feast had some good Rollins related gags.

And I'm not exactly a hip hop expert but I enjoyed Earl Sweatshirt's I Don't Like poo poo, I Don't Go Outside. Bleak as hell at times.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

Anonymous Robot posted:

What good hip-hop albums came out this year that aren't wobbly club tracks or Kendrick Lamar soundalikes?

Shadow of a Doubt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUeB1w7JDUM

B4.DA.$$
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRfQGXFRr30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gybiXxdBodw

Wave[s]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GigIohlYqEI

Cliff of Death II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u42z-JWbRtU

Populair
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9BX8LbmcEU

Cherry Bom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrgoO1mncgU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

Time travel is impossible so it can never be scientifically accurate hth

Yes, but not all time travel narratives necessarily violate their own established causality.

Think of it like magical realism. The part that's unrealistic serves a narrative purpose. It helps explore an idea. It doesn't matter if this magical part is something that would ever be possible. However, if works in contradicting ways within the narrative, it can cloud the narrative.

In Looper, Bruce Willis goes back in time to change the timeline, but we see in the movie that changing the timeline doesn't really work. If you kill someone in the past, it doesn't undo anything they did, they just vanish from the perspective of the film viewer. I like the movie, but they could have changed this so that it made sense. The reason they didn't is obvious: they really wanted that scene of a dude's limbs disappearing in the future when they were cut off in the past, because it was really hosed up and awesome.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Holy crap I didn't realize Ghostface's album this year is a sequel to Twelve Reasons to Die. Picking that up asap

there's that one, but the one I feel like I heard better things about was his collaboration with Badbadnotgood, which I still haven't listened to because ugh that name

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

That's an awful name.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

It's not an action movie so much as a drama punctuated by violence. Like a western. Rian Johnson should make a western.

yeah that actually sounds like a dope loving star wars movie

Snak posted:

He also directed one of the best episodes of Breaking Bad.

two of the best

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The the first Star War's movie is half western anyway.

A farm boy follows a stray sheep into the wilderness where he meets a crazy hermit. On the way back to his farm, he finds the caravan that sold him the sheep ambushed and massacred by indians. The hermit tells him it was soldiers who wanted people to think it was indians. The boy returns home to find out the soldiers have already been there, burnt his farm and killed his family. Cut to a saloon where an outlaw shoots a bounty hunter under the table in a quickdraw and flicks a coin at the bartender.

That's all western as gently caress.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
yeah no poo poo i want an entire movie of that, in space

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

yeah no poo poo i want an entire movie of that, in space

and yet almost everybody here hates Serenity

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Serenity is cool and good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's because it's not good.

Firefly is pretty awesome, but Serenity was a hack job.

I mean it's okay, I like it because I like the characters from the show, but those characters are barely in the movie, because they are pared-down for stand-alone filminess.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snak posted:

That's because it's not good.

Firefly is pretty awesome, but Serenity was a hack job.

I mean it's okay, I like it because I like the characters from the show, but those characters are barely in the movie, because they are pared-down for stand-alone filminess.

I prefer the movie to the show actually, maybe just cuz I saw it first. or because it's got Chiwetel Ejiofor as a space assassin.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Making a Murderer, ep8, Steven's dad walking around the unused fish farm he built for him and Steven to operate together was heartbreaking.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Serenity is pretty cool and Firefly is pretty cool. Sure the fanbase for them is awful but what even has a good fanbase these days?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I prefer the movie to the show actually, maybe just cuz I saw it first. or because it's got Chiwetel Ejiofor as a space assassin.

Chiwetel Ejiofor is without a doubt the best part of the movie. That and the implication that Ron Glass's character (Shepherd Book) was an operative before the events of the show is pretty neat.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The plot to Serenity is really good, especially as an ending to Firefly, it's the execution (sans space assassin) that brings it down.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Serenity also has a pretty dece Rime of the Ancient Mariner joke

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

The plot to Serenity is really good, especially as an ending to Firefly, it's the execution (sans space assassin) that brings it down.

Yeah, and I think if I had seen it before the show, I wouldn't be offended as much by its treatment of the characters. Serenity retcons some things, and it loses basically all the depth that the characters have in the show. It glosses over a lot of things. And there's just some baffling decisions, like Inara's bow being digitally replaces with weird space dart launcher. Why. It's not like you can't see her carrying her bow around before and after the one scene they did digital replacement in...

edit: ^ I'm not sure I've ever caught that... what is it?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I like Serenity

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I like the whole reaver ship sequence, and dragging them into the battle in that crazy nebula planet.
That was fun.

Never did care much for the TV show though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

wyoming posted:

I like the whole reaver ship sequence, and dragging them into the battle in that crazy nebula planet.
That was fun.

Never did care much for the TV show though.

Yeah I mean I guess they did a good job making the movie appealing to people who never saw the show?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I saw the TV first, it's just largely bad.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Snak posted:

Chiwetel Ejiofor is without a doubt the best part of the movie. That and the implication that Ron Glass's character (Shepherd Book) was an operative before the events of the show is pretty neat.

Haha, save yourself some pain and never read the comic they wrote for his backstory.

Firefly is best when it's going all in on being a space western, which is why The Train Job is the best episode. Serenity has good and bad parts and ultimately balances out to 'it's okay'. Chiwetel Ejiofor is a large part of what pushes it towards good. Pointless character deaths and reduced depth weigh it down towards bad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well that's fair. I guess I liked the smaller scale, "space western" element of it which is barely present in the movie. The show is mostly small dusty downs with minor disagreements that have nothing to do with space. Small scale, low-stakes stories. So the movie going "we're gonna uncover the giant evil conspiracy origin story while sidelining the character envelopment that happened in the show" really rubbed me the wrong way. It felt like a story that the show would do in season 6 or 7.

edit: ^ don't worry, I'm allergic to tie-in comics.

and comics in general that aren't TMNT or Iron Fist.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Anonymous Robot posted:

Everlasting Money by A-Wax is the most slept on album of the year.

Introversion or Black Sheep Don't Grin by Starlito are also the poo poo.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

RandallODim posted:

Firefly is best when it's going all in on being a space western, which is why The Train Job is the best episode.

Which is why they aired that episode before the pilot!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like the reveal that the bars they stole aren't precious metal, but food. edit: in the pilot. I like the pilot.

In train job: "Here's all the money Nisca gave us..."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anonymous Robot posted:

Compton by Dr. Dre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGtJOxZOwlI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwFQFfzzLD8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oTsDc18Jqs

It came out around the same time as Straight Outta Compton but it's not the soundtrack to the movie, although some songs from it are used in the movie.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Snak posted:

edit: ^ I'm not sure I've ever caught that... what is it?

I can't remember the precise wording and situation, but it's between the Operative and Mal, I think when he shows up at Inara's (there's another character who got super shafted by the movie). They're talking about River:

The Op: "That girl is an albatross!"
Mal: "You know, I'm pretty sure the bad luck came from killing the albatross in that story."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

because joss whedon is a turdshitbuttfart

Snak posted:

Well that's fair. I guess I liked the smaller scale, "space western" element of it which is barely present in the movie. The show is mostly small dusty downs with minor disagreements that have nothing to do with space. Small scale, low-stakes stories. So the movie going "we're gonna uncover the giant evil conspiracy origin story while sidelining the character envelopment that happened in the show" really rubbed me the wrong way. It felt like a story that the show would do in season 6 or 7.

edit: ^ don't worry, I'm allergic to tie-in comics.

and comics in general that aren't TMNT or Iron Fist.

you should read fraction's hawkeye run hth

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Operative: That girl will rain destruction down on you and your ship. She is an albatross, Captain.
Mal: Way I remember it, albatross was a ship's good luck, 'til some idiot killed it.

It's a killer line.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the part I like is right after when whatshisname lets it rest a beat and then goes "yes, I read a poem."

that was back when Whedon still had some decent one-liners in him.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Snak posted:

The the first Star War's movie is half western anyway.

A farm boy follows a stray sheep into the wilderness where he meets a crazy hermit. On the way back to his farm, he finds the caravan that sold him the sheep ambushed and massacred by indians. The hermit tells him it was soldiers who wanted people to think it was indians. The boy returns home to find out the soldiers have already been there, burnt his farm and killed his family. Cut to a saloon where an outlaw shoots a bounty hunter under the table in a quickdraw and flicks a coin at the bartender.

That's all western as gently caress.

Someone should make this exact movie without ever mentioning Star Wars to anyone and see how soon people would notice. Instead of a death star it could be an armored war train and the farm boy throws a stick of dynamite into the smokestack exploding the engine and derailing the train off a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the part I like is right after when whatshisname lets it rest a beat and then goes "yes, I read a poem."

that was back when Whedon still had some decent one-liners in him.

That felt like the easy part of the joke to me.

I really liked this one. Thank you for posting it.

• Locked thread