Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

Except the government spends many times more on welfare, medicare, medicaid, social security, and other anti-poverty programs than on NASA so it's not like eliminating space exploration and satellite launches will cure poverty.

And as I mentioned, that's not the question here. Nobody I know of was or is saying that you should somehow tranfer NASA:s budget to Social Security, they were asking why the government couldn't find the will to end poverty and discrimination if they could find the will to do all sorts of other stuff, such as the space program. Now, this all riles up nerds because they think it's an attack on their beloved flashy science stuff, but maybe people should take a step back and think about what's actually being said here.

In any case, happy holidays y'all. Have a carol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r65C367hCVI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Cerebral Bore posted:

blaahhhh durrrr

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cerebral Bore posted:

And as I mentioned, that's not the question here. Nobody I know of was or is saying that you should somehow tranfer NASA:s budget to Social Security, they were asking why the government couldn't find the will to end poverty and discrimination if they could find the will to do all sorts of other stuff, such as the space program. Now, this all riles up nerds because they think it's an attack on their beloved flashy science stuff, but maybe people should take a step back and think about what's actually being said here.

In any case, happy holidays y'all. Have a carol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r65C367hCVI

Or maybe because launching a satellite into orbit is a physics problem with a universally accepted solution and solving poverty and discrimination is a massively complex social and cultural problem without an accepted solution?

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Cerebral Bore posted:

but maybe people should take a step back and think about what's actually being said here.

So what IS being said here, Cerebral Bore? Why the discrepancy wrt space exploration but not all the more frivolous pursuits that yield no-or-less spin-off tech, or cost more?

Elukka posted:

Why are billions being spent on TV programs, movies, ice cream, highways, and a million other pursuits of varying importance that do not directly relate to feeding the poor or taking care of the sick? Why did you spend your money on the computer you posted this from instead of feeding the poor? Is it just that the companies that designed it spent so much money developing more powerful computers?

There is also a common perception that orders of magnitude more money is being spent on spaceflight than actually is spent that contributes to this, because it makes spaceflight look exceptional compared to everything else money is being spent on.

The Jason-3 satellite, which Falcon will launch early next year. It continues a program of sea level measurements important to research on changes in ocean circulation and sea level due to climate change.

https://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2008/tech_benefits.html

lol whitey I guess

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

This cartoon has been pulled from the washington post. I guess for being offensive? But it's already out so pulling it is a useless gesture.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KazigluBey posted:

So what IS being said here, Cerebral Bore? Why the discrepancy wrt space exploration but not all the more frivolous pursuits that yield no-or-less spin-off tech, or cost more?

lol whitey I guess

What's being said is that the US government and society doesn't give two shits about the poor and the black. Also you seem to be under some strange impression that there is some discrepancy here and that space exploration is singled out for unfair amounts of criticism or something. This is, in fact, not true. There are very few people that have expressed much criticism of space exploration, and those who do have no power to stop it. Therefore it's kinda strange to see people lose their minds about somebody like Gil-Scott Heron being sorta irreverent towards the space program in a grand total of one of his songs, when most of what he made was poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ze8avZ9Q4I

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Cerebral Bore posted:

What's being said is that the US government and society doesn't give two shits about the poor and the black. Also you seem to be under some strange impression that there is some discrepancy here and that space exploration is singled out for unfair amounts of criticism or something. This is, in fact, not true. There are very few people that have expressed much criticism of space exploration, and those who do have no power to stop it. Therefore it's kinda strange to see people lose their minds about somebody like Gil-Scott Heron being sorta irreverent towards the space program in a grand total of one of his songs, when most of what he made was poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ze8avZ9Q4I

its because you talk like nasa is literally taking food out of hungry black childrens mouths when everybody knows the world has problems and people where just trying to express joy when mankind does something cool. you're not some messiah bringing this new knowledge to people, you just seem like an rear end whos trying to show he cares more than other people and has to prove it

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Thank you for clarifying. I think the reaction in the thread is what it is because every time a space related pic is posted it seems there's a race to post Whitey's On The Moon. I don't know if anything else is quite as reliable in-thread, outside of saying Gun Control three times in front of a mirror summoning LeJackal.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/12/darpa-logos-information-awareness-office/421635/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

KazigluBey posted:

saying Gun Control three times

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

KazigluBey posted:

I don't know if anything else is quite as reliable in-thread, outside of saying Gun Control three times in front of a mirror summoning LeJackal.

Don't do it, you fools; you'll doom us all!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Wasn't this the project that ruined Bill Dauterive's life?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The other day when I paid about $14 for someone to make me a meal instead of spending about $2 to cook my own meal, I made a conscious decision that spending the other $12 on me was more worthwhile to my convenience and enjoyment of tasty food than if I gave that money to a charity that helps the poor. The same can be said of literally every expenditure anyone ever makes that isn't for the purpose of allowing them to make more money to give to charity (i.e. paying for a suit so you can get a higher paying job so you can give more to chairty).

I'm going to guess all the people getting mad about rockets aren't posting from free public library accounts, and even if you are, why the gently caress aren't you out volunteering and helping those in need instead of arguing with space nerds on the internet? Why have you decided your utility as an arguing voice on the internet is more important than your utility as a volunteer or charity worker?

NASA livery is cool

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Look at this guy who thinks "charity" will solve the problem of poverty.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
War is also a major driver for technological advance.

We indeed benefit from space tech, doesn't change the fact that private space flight is either for commercial applications like lowering satellite launch costs or as a rich persons' toy. Sorry for focusing on the political side of the "great advancement for mankind", but it won't actually change much. Also lol at nerds fellating Elon Musk

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

The other day when I paid about $14 for someone to make me a meal instead of spending about $2 to cook my own meal, I made a conscious decision that spending the other $12 on me was more worthwhile to my convenience and enjoyment of tasty food than if I gave that money to a charity that helps the poor. The same can be said of literally every expenditure anyone ever makes that isn't for the purpose of allowing them to make more money to give to charity (i.e. paying for a suit so you can get a higher paying job so you can give more to chairty).

I'm going to guess all the people getting mad about rockets aren't posting from free public library accounts, and even if you are, why the gently caress aren't you out volunteering and helping those in need instead of arguing with space nerds on the internet? Why have you decided your utility as an arguing voice on the internet is more important than your utility as a volunteer or charity worker?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtW1Lq5c04E

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Science: The white conspiracy to distract from the plight of the black man. This as legitimate a complaint as Fox News has whenever they look at the funds given to scientific studies every year.

No sense in investing in space, I'm sure nothing bad could ever happen to us.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Nerds misunderstanding and then getting really mad at Gil Scott Heron's silly track is a true dnd tradition!

https://vimeo.com/117983862

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Krowley posted:

Nerds misunderstanding and then getting really mad at Gil Scott Heron's silly track is a true dnd tradition!

For the record, I didn't say anything about Heron, I was referring to goons.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krowley posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGaoXAwl9kw

the revolution will not be televised blogged tweeted

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Krowley posted:

But no one, and I mean no one in D&D misunderstands B-Movie.

https://vimeo.com/67538277

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
America is the wealthiest country in the world but there are millions of Americans who live in poverty and can't eat three meals a day. Remove the space program and all of this is magically fixed!

Just like giving billions of dollars in foreign aid to African nations has solved the poverty there, duh.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The Somalian government just banned Christmas.

Pictured: One of the ~1,000 Somalian Christians who officially don't exist.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Interesting claim at the end:

quote:

Earlier this week, the sultan of Brunei also banned public Christmas celebrations, saying they could “damage the beliefs of the Muslim community," according to the Brunei Times.
Has this been tested empirically? That is, is there actual evidence that the "beliefs of the Muslim community" are actually damaged by witnessing the celebration of non-Muslim holidays?

Wedding of the sultan's son.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 24, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

System Metternich posted:

Pictured: One of the ~1,000 Somalian Christians who officially don't exist.

You say don't. I think you mean won't.

I honestly don't know why Obama isn't loved by more of the right wing for his bombings of people in countries like somalia (and many more! Six I think).

It's one of the things I personally like about the guy.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Modest Mao posted:

Why did 3 people post whitey on the moon on this page?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B6DVdCzwy0

Because it's the perfect response when people get whipped up into an autistic brain bleed because Elon Musk did something after exploding half a billion dollars of rockets when those resources could have gone to something other than Capital's dumb sci fi fantasy.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

mlmp08 posted:

NASA livery is cool

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Stultus Maximus posted:

Or maybe because launching a satellite into orbit is a physics problem with a universally accepted solution and solving poverty and discrimination is a massively complex social and cultural problem without an accepted solution?

Actually, solving poverty is ALSO a physics problem:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Mall of Merica disallowing BLM protesters http://abcnews.go.com/US/arrests-made-black-lives-matter-protests/story?id=35923269

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 24, 2015

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Vostok was developed in parallel with the Zenit spy satellite because Sergei Korolev realized he wouldn't be able to get enough backing for a solely scientific mission, whereas if the capsule was designed so that it could also be loaded with a big camera and equipment for SIGINT recordings, the military would be interested in it too.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FlyingCheese posted:

My goodness you are angry, and misinformed. Besides, there's absolutely no one saying we can't both take care of the poor and go to space. The existence of one thing does not negate the other.

http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0812/the-roi-of-space-exploration.aspx

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Season's Greetings, from Nancy Reagan and Mr T.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Kopijeger posted:

Wedding of the sultan's son.
What a loving dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bondetamp
Aug 8, 2011

Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?
Speaking of dorks:

• Locked thread