Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The whole loving point of Kylo Ren is that he tries to appear threatening and scary and badass and yet he is not. How is that hard to grasp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MisterBibs posted:

Contrast with a double lightsaber, which looks more threatening than a normal saber

Not really. It looks like a lit up prop for a kung fu movie.

Kylo's lightsabre might be poo poo, but it looks like a huge, devastating claymore.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

beejay posted:

The whole loving point of Kylo Ren is that he tries to appear threatening and scary and badass and yet he is not. How is that hard to grasp

You don't understand Darth Vader was all of those things and Kylo is not so obviously he is poo poo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm not in a position to make a huge effortpost atm, but I should point out:

The book people are using to call Ren's lightsaber bad refers to the setup as an "ancient sith design". This suggests to me that it's less a broken attempt to look cool, and more that it's a design to stabilize broken crystals (for example, to be used by Sith resistance when Jedi control working, not salvaged crystals). Seeing as the only other saber in the film is Luke's, its possible that functional, perfect crystals simply no longer exist.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

I suppose we have differing standards for "dramatic". And "spooky". And a malfunctioning lightsaber.

So you're arguing the existence of some anti-threateningness that somehow translates to Maul/Vader levels of threat?

Were you as intimidated by Bad Cop in the Lego Movie kicking chairs around? Because that's Kylo Ren.

No, I'm arguing that there are different types of threatening. Maul, especially if you consider his canonical backstory from Clone Wars, is a trained assassin and tracker. He is not subtle, he is a killer. He will find you and capture or kill you.

Vader, on the other hand, has a two-fold set of threat. On the outside he has no face. Just an expressionless mask. He punishes failure with death, and is second only to the Emperor in terms of force mastery until Luke comes along. Then on the inside, we know he is a man with nothing to lose. His whole fall to darkness was to save his wife and unborn child(ren). And he (to his knowledge) fails completely. Now he has nothing to truly live for, as he swore himself to the service of Sheev and (again, until Luke comes along) has no real reason to break that service.

Then we come to Kylo Ben. Who only knows the exterior of Vader. He only knows the expressionless badass cyborg. Not the tortured man beneath. He tries so very hard to emulate that, without understanding the factors that led to Vader being that way. He punishes threats to his authority with pain and death. Tekka mouthed off to him and was cut down. Poe resisted him, and was tortured. But he's also unhinged. He has both the Force and a lightsaber on a hair trigger. He acts like a petulant child when he doesn't get what he wants. That wouldn't be so scary, except he has a multitude of ways to wreck those around him. He is a broken man, but broken in ways that make him very dangerous to those around him

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I can't parse this sentence. In that picture, he looks kinda threatening, janky saber aside. All sense of that is lost in-movie.

Yes. That is in fact the point. He is a threatening figure in still imagery before you find out more about his character. Exactly like Darth Vader.

Darth Vader becomes less threatening and more pitiable the more you know about him. By the third film he's honestly kind of sad and the last moments we spent with him are as an old scarred man regretting the failures of his life. The prequel trilogy further does that (intentionally or not) by showing us Darth Vader as a literal precocious 9 year old

Ren, instead, is threatening because he idolizes that scary imagery and uses it to costume his own hosed-up mindset. He isn't threatening because he's strong and intimidating. He's threatening because he's angry and easily manipulated and desperate to prove himself and will hurt people to do so while trying to cloak himself in grand imagery that he wears poorly. If you don't think this is a legitimate scary person then you should check the news more often.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

Seeing as the only other saber in the film is Luke's, its possible that functional, perfect crystals simply no longer exist.

Allegedly Starkiller was built on Illum so... yeah.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

edit: Dammit. ^^^

Neurolimal posted:

I'm not in a position to make a huge effortpost atm, but I should point out:

The book people are using to call Ren's lightsaber broken refers to the setup as an "ancient sith design". This suggests to me that it's less a broken attempt to look cool, and more that it's a design to stabilize broken crystals (for example, to be used by Sith resistance when Jedi control working, not salvaged crystals). Seeing as the only other saber in the film is Luke's, its possible that functional, perfect crystals simply no longer exist.

Also, people have theorized, based on the map of the galaxy that was released, that Starkiller Base was actually made out of the planet lightsaber crystals were harvested (mined?) from. So in making the base, the galaxy also may have lost it's source of crystals.

We may have just seen the last two lightsabers in the galaxy.

Or, I dunno, there's probably more Jedi or Sith out there with some.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

beejay posted:

The type of scariness Kylo is trying to exude and the type of scariness that he actually does exude are very very different things.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MisterBibs posted:

Darth Maul was more threatening than Kylo Ren. Sure, his character was as deep as The Shape Michael Myers, but he didn't have to be anything but a clear and present danger to Our Heroes to work.
Ahahahaha, come the gently caress on.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. That is in fact the point. He is a threatening figure in still imagery before you find out more about his character. Exactly like Darth Vader.

Darth Vader doesn't lose his threat when he walks on screen. It increases. Kylo's drops.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

edit: Dammit. ^^^

Also, people have theorized, based on the map of the galaxy that was released, that Starkiller Base was actually made out of the planet lightsaber crystals were harvested (mined?) from. So in making the base, the galaxy also may have lost it's source of crystals.

We may have just seen the last two lightsabers in the galaxy.

Or, I dunno, there's probably more Jedi or Sith out there with some.

I never got the impression that crystals had to come from Ilum, that was just the traditional place the rigid and dogmatic Jedi order went to.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Is this Illum and lightsaber crystals junk actually important or is it EU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

beejay posted:

It's too hard of a concept for MisterBibs to comprehend. The only villains he likes are visually imposing and purely threatening based on their actions, not motivations or complexity of character. His favorite Marvel villain must be Malekith, who is completely one-dimensional but looks totally evil.

Kylo Ren is (more or less) a mentally unstable Sith fanatic/extremist. His lightsaber is based off of ancient designs, and practically idolizes everything about Darth Vader, his grandfather. Much like Darth Vader who saw the Emperor as a father figure/role model, Kylo sees Snoke as his and seems desperate to do whatever it takes to please him. How is that not scary?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

Darth Vader doesn't lose his threat when he walks on screen. It increases. Kylo's drops.

It really doesn't though. The more you see of Kylo, the more your perception of him shifts. He goes from being Vader-style threatening and becomes his own character.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

beejay posted:

Both? Ilum shows up in canonical sources.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

jivjov posted:

I never got the impression that crystals had to come from Ilum, that was just the traditional place the rigid and dogmatic Jedi order went to.

It's all probably EU stuff by now but yeah iirc there are plenty of other places to get a power source. Just nothing so immediate and convenient.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

beejay posted:

It's come up on the cartoon shows, I'm pretty sure, which are canon. But for the movies, nah, they're not actually important. Or at least, not as important as the concept of making the lightsaber in the first place. Just interesting flavor.

They've never once been mentioned in one of the 7 episodic movies.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MisterBibs posted:

Right, you haven't seen ESB or RotJ. I get it now.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

Right, you haven't seen ESB or RotJ. I get it now.

The only time Vader is pathetic is at the end of his duel with Luke in Jedi, though?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

The only time Vader is pathetic is at the end of his duel with Luke in Jedi, though?

Or how about when he metaphorically sells his soul to the devil for a deal that ends up blowing up in his face? Or when he slaughters an entire village?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Darth Vader loses his threat with every piece of information we gain about him. He begins as a blank slate, a bad man in black who killed Luke's father. With every bit of information we get the mystique is ripped away. His intimidating black suit is a living respirator. His ominous breathing is him barely remaining alive. He is more machine than man and doesn't understand the Force. He gets blasted off into space by a non-Force Users despite his insistence than the Force is stronger than any weapon. Then we find out he is Luke's father and a pitiable slave to the Emperor. By RotJ he is no longer threatening. He is sad. We want Luke to redeem him, not defeat him. The prequel trilogies only further emphasize that Anakin Skywalker is not a cool dude who is so badass. he is a sad, used up, pitiable old man who was used from childhood by everyone around him and only finds redemption in the true love of his son who he maimed.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Star Wars has never been scary, ever.

jivjov posted:

Or how about when he metaphorically sells his soul to the devil for a deal that ends up blowing up in his face? Or when he slaughters an entire village?

That's Anakin.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

The first is merely :smith: ; the second is a legitimate threatening moment.

Give Kylo a moment like the Sand People one, and he tries wailing on a bantha before being crushed by its mother.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 23, 2015

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Star Wars has never been scary, ever.

:goonsay: Actually, I was scared of Darth Vader when I was eight years old, soooooo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah, crystals aren't a movie fact or important (the firstmost reason for why Kylo has an unstable and dangerous lightsaber is "because Kylo is an unstable and dangerous person"), just pointing out a EU observation that contrasts with a previous EU observation.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere in a bizarre alternate universe everyone is complaining about Kylo Ren being an unoriginal Darth Vader clone

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The nice thing about Ren's saber is that you really don't need an EU explanation for it. The film does a good job of making it look poorly made and lovely. At first blush it is like "wow, that lightsaber blade is all crackling and dramatic" but they're pretty careful to animate it in a way that really emphasizes that it's poorly made and unstable, especially when contrasted with the other lightsaber in the film. It looks intimidating but the more you look at it the more you realize it's just a patched-together thing trying to keep a barely-functional inside working.

Just like Darth Vader.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Who is Vader, yes.

MisterBibs posted:

Give Kylo a moment like the Sand People one, and he tries wailing on a bantha before being crushed by its mother.

Kylo has several threatening moments and he's only been in one movie, compared to Anakin's 6.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rurea posted:

We don't really even know how much Kylo Ren actually knows about Vader. Did Luke tell him the whole story? Is he just piecing together the stories and myths he has heard? Did Snoke tell him?
Obviously he knows he is related to him, but it's interesting to think about how his view of Vader is probably very biased and likely misinformed.

It's implied he got a vision from the mask the same way Rey got a vision from the lightsaber.

The mask was the tool that the Emperor used to control him. Through it, Vader could see only what the Emperor wanted him to see; inside it, he was prevented from dying after his friend and mentor killed him; and because of it, all his power could not keep the Emperor from killing him at will. The mask was with him during the second half of his life.

The weapon, on the other hand (get it), was with him in the first half. It was, at one point, literally called his life. It was the witness to the tragedies that made him who he was, and it was the instrument with which he hoped to impose his vision of peace and justice upon a cruel galaxy. His son used it with the same ambition, of slaying Darth Sidious with it.

Darth Vader never possessed the mask and the lightsaber at the same time. The lightsaber did not witness the end of his story, and the mask did not witness the beginning. Thus neither Kylo nor Rey understand the truth of the man in whose shadow they walk. This is the reason for the real rift between them.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 23, 2015

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Did you forget that Kylo murdered all of Luke's students in cold blood and single-handedly prompted Luke to go into hiding? Just because it was done off-screen doesn't make it and less threatening.

maporfic
Dec 11, 2015
Elephant in the room... How does someone with only storm trooper training hold his own for more than 2 seconds against a trained sith? That part did not compute.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

maporfic posted:

Elephant in the room... How does someone with only storm trooper training hold his own for more than 2 seconds against a trained sith? That part did not compute.

The answer is that he is not trained. Nor is he a Sith.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Icon-Cat posted:

:goonsay: Actually, I was scared of Darth Vader when I was eight years old, soooooo

Man that rancor scared the poo poo out of me. That is a U rated movie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

maporfic posted:

1) Kylo was already wounded, and 2) he didn't hold his own for much longer than those 2 seconds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

maporfic posted:

A) Ren isn't finished his training
B) Ren had just been shot and badly wounded.
C) Stormtroopers have melee combat training.
D) He 'held his own' in that he didn't instantly die. He ended the fight in a coma.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

maporfic posted:

This has seriously been debated to death

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If nothing else, the fact that TFA has already inspired so much debate on its message, place and relation to the PT and OT, and interest in EU explanations of new creations suggests that, at the very least, it's more than just "a forgettable 2010's reboot".

Same cant be said for Total Recall and Robocop :v:

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

jivjov posted:

1) Kylo was already wounded, and 2) he didn't hold his own for much longer than those 2 seconds.

Also Kylo didn't complete the entirety of his training, so he was still inexperienced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bongo Bill posted:

It's implied he got a vision from the mask the same way Rey got a vision from the lightsaber.

Is there any evidence that he had a genuine vision and that he isn't just out of his mind and having "visions" created by said mind instead of by the Force?

• Locked thread