Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Linedance posted:

I bet they just camp the petrol station until someone comes in with a tasty bike. Depending on how dodgy the oval office who runs/works at the petrol station is, he might even make the blind spots on the CCTV known to interested parties.

This is worth considering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Minkee posted:

As someone who has had 2 bikes stolen, and multiple attempts all I can say is that you can't dwell on it. It will make you bitter and paranoid. You'll start to resent even having a bike after a while.

There isn't much you can do about someone that stole a bike that fast. Even if you locked your steering, used disc locks, and covered it at the gas station they would have probably grabbed the bike. Hopefully you'll get the bike back with little to no damage, and if not then I hope the bike thieves burn in a special place in hell.

Don't listen to this guy. Buy a bigger, better bike, leave it at the gas station, and hide in the bushes with a crowbar. Be the hero that bikers need. Bash the bandits.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Don't listen to this guy. Buy a bigger, better bike, leave it at the gas station, and hide in the bushes with a crowbar. Be the hero that bikers need. Bash the bandits.

Funny you should say that... I know some people who know some people. Those people have offered to make certain inquiries, and deliver some rather direct lessons in etiquette, in a way that Her Majesty's Constabulary generally can't. I, of course, loudly and publicly turned down such an opportunity as it would be morally repugnant to me, and certainly won't be buying a few drinks for a few people in a few pubs over the weekend.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Funny you should say that... I know some people who know some people. Those people have offered to make certain inquiries, and deliver some rather direct lessons in etiquette, in a way that Her Majesty's Constabulary generally can't. I, of course, loudly and publicly turned down such an opportunity as it would be morally repugnant to me, and certainly won't be buying a few drinks for a few people in a few pubs over the weekend.

Yeah Id prefer to do it myself too.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Do you guys mix tires or always replace both at the same time. 6,200 miles have made their mark.

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 17, 2015

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I mix all the time. But I'm probably not a very good rider who would notice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I generally get two rears for every front, so yeah, I'm a mixer

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Tell me more Jim Silly-Balls :a2m:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It isn't vigilante justice, it is community service.

Shadowlz posted:

Yeah Id prefer to do it myself too.

:hfive: my man

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Completely unrelated to motorcycles, but this reminds me of a story from college. There was this guy who was constantly angry at me and trying to physically fight me, but he was such a fat blob that I could literally just stand there and look at him while he tried to kick me. Anyway, I told my family about this at some point. My dad's told me to not fight the guy, instead find someone else who would beat him up for $100 and to make sure to check on him later and be really concerned that he was hurt. Great advice, Dad.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

No. 6 posted:

Do you guys mix tires or always replace both at the same time. 6,200 miles have made their mark.

I mix. Also, pay attention to your wear bars.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
With pilot roads, the front is so old by the time I exhaust a rear I just do both. Feels good

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I don't even run the same manufacturer front and rear. Sumo Supremacy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Renaissance Robot posted:

Tell me more Jim Silly-Balls :a2m:

Please don't kinkshame

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I keep it the same on my ZX10R (PR4s), but my 690 has a Metzler front and a Conti rear. Haven't had the 690 long enough to tell if it makes it feel funny or not :/

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Since I'm changing brands and compounds I'm going to play it safe and change both for Pilot Power 3. In the future I'll probably just keep the 1:2 front/rear replacement ratio and keep running the same type rubber.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

No. 6 posted:

Since I'm changing brands and compounds I'm going to play it safe and change both for Pilot Power 3. In the future I'll probably just keep the 1:2 front/rear replacement ratio and keep running the same type rubber.

I've enjoyed the PP3s I've run in the past. I'm diggin the Corsas I got on now too. Both good sticky tires.

By the time your rear is cooked on a set of PP3s you're most likely going to be in need of a front as well. They're not friendly on the miles.

Maybe if all you do is commute 20,000 miles a year on straight highways with high-mileage hockey pucks for tires or something I can see doing the 2rear / 1 front thing, but yeah I just swap both mine at the same time as well.
vvv

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 18, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

No. 6 posted:

It all depends on how it feels and how worn it is. Other people here say they get 2 rears to 1 front but when I'm done with a rear the front is usually 25% or maybe 30. Not really worth it to wait another few thousand then change the front, then another few thousand and change the rear again, I just change them both too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Okay, I may need to take back the blood-oath I swore against all insurance companies, as Aviva (who were underwriting the policy) have just agreed to pay out £8k and sent the money even though I've not even returned my documentation yet. I've had more hassle actually just getting a quote from some companies than I've had getting them to pay out.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay, I may need to take back the blood-oath I swore against all insurance companies, as Aviva (who were underwriting the policy) have just agreed to pay out £8k and sent the money even though I've not even returned my documentation yet. I've had more hassle actually just getting a quote from some companies than I've had getting them to pay out.

Very nice. Out of curiosity, what was the blue book value of the bike?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

Very nice. Out of curiosity, what was the blue book value of the bike?

We don't really have an equivalent of that in the UK - there are a couple of magazines that try to do it but there's nothing as definitive as KBB.

FWIW the list price of a new Stripe is £9.25k, and I paid £8.5 for mine, so it's a pretty loving reasonable settlement considering the usual catastrophic depreciation.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
That is awesome news! I'm so glad it worked out. I just wish it hadn't been swiped in the first place.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We don't really have an equivalent of that in the UK - there are a couple of magazines that try to do it but there's nothing as definitive as KBB.

FWIW the list price of a new Stripe is £9.25k, and I paid £8.5 for mine, so it's a pretty loving reasonable settlement considering the usual catastrophic depreciation.

How does your insurer decide the total loss payout of a vehicle? Or is that part of a pre-determined agreement as in America's agreed total value?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Verge posted:

How does your insurer decide the total loss payout of a vehicle? Or is that part of a pre-determined agreement as in America's agreed total value?

He didn't say it in so many words but I got the strong impression he just checked Bike Trader and MCN ads and picked a number roughly in the middle, if only because that's what I did when deciding what I'd accept.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Is this one of you guys?

Someone else mentions you shouldn't trust your mirrors, to which the OP responds that's the reason to have the blind spot mirrors. It's funny. I mean, I get traffic is loving dense in the cities here, especially with all the scooter traffic (and I've had more than one sneak up on me). But it's why I always do a head/shoulder check before I even change positions in a lane. Hell, I've had people who started out on my left behind me, and the moment I turn on my signal to make a right turn, will zip to my right side and try to pass as I'm slowing down for the turn.

Facebook link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/629231123877275/permalink/727278057405914/

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
On that note, thanks all for not doing that exact thing. Searching public forums for answers to just about any bike question is an exercise in frustration, because the first half dozen answers will be along the lines of "you don't need that" or "do other thing instead", after which the thread devolves into discussing these alternatives (or a completely different topic) with the original query never getting answered.

Like, if you don't know, don't post? I'm not against jokey snipes but ffs "you don't need blindspot mirrors" has got to be the most aggravatingly useless reply to "where can I buy these blindspot mirrors?" it is possible to give.

The goon superiority complex is famously inflated but in this at least it's accurate. Public forums suck balls for general questions, this forum very much does not.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Blindspot mirrors make sense to me, I like to be able to see if someone's coming up behind me quickly, see if those cop card are closing in etc. without taking my eyes off the road. I normally have my left mirror angles so I can see the left lane and what's behind me.

Of course my old Marauder was so vibey the mirrors were literally only good for fixing my hair with the bike off, so it's not like mirrors are a necessity for me to ride safely.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Fuuuck

I know that tire was done, but I'm working 14s and can't get it replaced for a while.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Eh, can't see the wires yet, just don't ride in the wet

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Pretty sure he means the nail in the tire. :v:

Pull it out, fix it temporarily with a plug kit, ride carefully until you can replace it.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
It's not a tubeless rim, so that's not really an option.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Oh it's got a tube? Just replace the tube then, easier.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Collateral Damage posted:

Pretty sure he means the nail in the tire. :v:

Pull it out, fix it temporarily with a plug kit, ride carefully until you can replace it.

Thought that was a rock at first glance :downs:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Oh it's got a tube? Just replace the tube then, easier.

I've flattened the wear bar, and don't have a tire changer. It gets a new tube and tire.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Some british dude made a convex mirror that goes right on top of the steering stem, supposedly giving you a real good look at your blind sports (and maybe behind?). I would still like to test one of them out one day.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Like this?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd rather turn my head than sit there squinting at that mirror trying to figure out what I'm seeing.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Marxalot posted:

I've flattened the wear bar, and don't have a tire changer. It gets a new tube and tire.

Slime it.

It's only a small hole. The tube will stop it from making too much of a mess when you change it out, will last long enough.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Slavvy posted:

I'd rather turn my head than sit there squinting at that mirror trying to figure out what I'm seeing.

This. People have said I'm an idiot for doing head checks 'when I don't need to' (i.e. getting on a highway offramp), but that's been vindicated by a douchebag undertaking me doing 50km/h over the limit off said offramp. It's dumb, but it will save your life, simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

What else do you need to know other than "is something big and moving coming near me?" :)