Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Red Mundus posted:

Is there a mod that let's me shoot arrows downward from a ledge without them magically embedding themselves at my feet?

Also interested in this but preferably not one that overhauls all of archery because that was mostly what I found last time I went looking.
e: This was one I looked at before, wasn't sure if it solved that issue or not and didn't want to deal with the other changes it made potentially messing things up so I haven't tried it.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Everything Burrito posted:

Also interested in this but preferably not one that overhauls all of archery because that was mostly what I found last time I went looking.
e: This was one I looked at before, wasn't sure if it solved that issue or not and didn't want to deal with the other changes it made potentially messing things up so I haven't tried it.

Crack it open in TESVEdit, the collision stuff is handled right on the projectiles IIRC, it changes from like .5 to .1 or something. I'm like 99% sure you could strip out everything but just that.

In my last play through I combined everything I actually wanted from the 2-3 I used into 1 merged mod, for simplicity.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 18, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah neat, I'll play with that when I get home from work then. I've never wanted to screw around with vanilla archery TOO much because I'm used to it and don't want to add some mod that makes everything more "realistic" and "immersive" and not be able to hit anything anymore lol.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Can you change the projectile size of certain arrow types? Like iron and glass having different hitbox sizes?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Projectiles and weapons tend to be pretty self-contained (most things do actually), so you can whatever you want really. When you modify bows though you have to be aware that things like draw time actually affect where the shot goes in comparison to the crosshair. The game is goofy like that.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 18, 2015

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mazz posted:

Probably either/or given they are both changing camera effects. Check their Nexus pages/comments and you'll likely find something to go off of. EDIT: It's definitely something happened in AGO, there are several bug reports about it./skyrim/mods/69033/?[/url]
Doh. Too bad. I like almost everything else about this mod.... Guess I'll live with it....

Thanks.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh holy poo poo I just needed to dig around. Found a fix for crossbow and bow both.

It's actually the camera mod, but the ini file for it is in the Archery Overhaul mod. You need to change the "third person arms" settings all to 0 at the end of the file. (I dug into it in MO, with file explorer.)

Along the way I unfucked crafting, mining, and horse riding. Woot.

This also made weird spaghetti arms appear while moving with the bow drawn, and made it impossible to see if I had it drawn.

Wow what a bizarre mod. But it's fixed now.

yazirian
Sep 3, 2004

PSA: Stable uGridsToLoad now considered harmful. Memory bug found. http://forum.step-project.com/topic/9538-stable-ugridstoload-dropped/

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

yazirian posted:

PSA: Stable uGridsToLoad now considered harmful. Memory bug found. http://forum.step-project.com/topic/9538-stable-ugridstoload-dropped/

That's good to know... I experimented with different uGrids for a while but ended up reverting to the default again, so I guess there's no reason to keep that mod around anyway! But until now I never bothered to remove it. i wonder if my game will suddenly run better?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wasn't there supposed to be some benefit to it even if you never changed the default values? Is that bunk now?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Everything Burrito posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be some benefit to it even if you never changed the default values? Is that bunk now?

I thought so too, some vague stability related thing, but someone in that thread said that it fixes a glitch with changing ugrids that is present regardless of whether you change them or not. But if you don't change them then the glitch doesn't matter.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

yazirian posted:

So what are the ramifications of removing this in the middle of a game? I like my grids at 7, which is where they are, with this mod loaded. Using Mod Organizer if that matters.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

So what are the ramifications of removing this in the middle of a game? I like my grids at 7, which is where they are, with this mod loaded. Using Mod Organizer if that matters.

It'd probably be okay to remove so long as you keep the grids at 7 in Mod Organizer's ini file. I think. Unless Stable Grids to Load did it in a really weird way.

yazirian
Sep 3, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Likely none, since it loads as a SKSE dll, and there's no esp in the load order or anything. Everything I've seen suggests to immediately remove it and give it a try.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It'd probably be okay to remove so long as you keep the grids at 7 in Mod Organizer's ini file. I think. Unless Stable Grids to Load did it in a really weird way.
Cool. I'll give that a shot.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Anyone have issues with Interesting NPCs? I just updated all my mods and narrowed a problem down to that mod causing an infinite load screen that goes into a crash when I start a new game. It might just be some kind of memory issue since I am near the mod limit, but I had the mod working previously with an earlier version and more mods.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Once upon a time there was a mod that added achievements that gave little bonuses. I looked in the OP and didn't see it anyone know what it was?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Reason posted:

Once upon a time there was a mod that added achievements that gave little bonuses. I looked in the OP and didn't see it anyone know what it was?

Achieve That

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
I'm doing the research and prepwork for a first-time Skyrim playthrough while I wait to afford a new GPU. Already got most of my mod loadup decided.

Does anyone have any experience with Duke Patrick's Archery, Heavy, Light And H2H Combat? Specifically I'm interested in compatibility issues with other mods and knowing what I'd have to sacrifice from my mod loadup to get it working as intended. The mod seems like an incredible improvement over all other combat mods but suffers a tragic lack of available documentation on the subject since the author only uses his own mods.

The author did say this in his FAQ; "In general any mod that makes any changes to the vanilla combat records including combat animation conditions, combat perks, combat game settings, projectile speeds, stamina regeneration, combat styles and any other record used to control the behavior of combat will not be compatible."

So perk mods like SPERG are unworkable but I'm not sure about anything that adds new weapon, armor, Npcs and creatures or modifies the combat AI. Also I'm not sure if mods like ASIS or ROTE will work here either. Generally I'm not sure how to identify which mods meet the incompatibility conditions.

If I can't get it to work with mods I consider essential then I figure I'll fall back on Deadly Combat, Enhanced Enemy AI, Tkdodge, Dual Wield Parrying, Action Combat and Vigor Combat Enhanced to handle my combat mechanics.

Corsec fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 20, 2015

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Generally speaking "big gameplay overhaul mods" are mutually incompatible but... The best way to figure this out may or may not be something you feel like bothering with. Have you done modding for games before? Other Gamebryo engine/Bethesda games? The fact that the author specifically mentions game records tells me that I can put any mods I'm curious about in my load order with his mod and see what conflicts in TES5Edit. Which if you have never done that before may not actually be very informative. You also probably want to be using Mod Organizer so experiments like this can be easily managed but you probably want to use it anyway. The upshot is that it may be possible to make things work with a compatibility patch. What won't be so easy to reconcile are scripts, though.

ASIS should actually be fine imo because it creates a patch out of your load order.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So for the time being, my computer is stuck using an old 512MB video card, which is what Steam lists as minimum required to play. However, even on vanilla, I'm getting like 10-15 fps at minimum graphics settings. Obviously graphics-improving mods are right out, but is there anything I can do to make it so it's actually playable with a handful of non-graphical mods (like SPERG, and Better Stealth AI for Followers and the unofficial patches)?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

taiyoko posted:

So for the time being, my computer is stuck using an old 512MB video card, which is what Steam lists as minimum required to play. However, even on vanilla, I'm getting like 10-15 fps at minimum graphics settings. Obviously graphics-improving mods are right out, but is there anything I can do to make it so it's actually playable with a handful of non-graphical mods (like SPERG, and Better Stealth AI for Followers and the unofficial patches)?

really depends on the card. I had a 512 that ran OK, even modded up, I just had to run things through optimizer textures to keep vram usage down. If it is a low end card like a gt520, or ati 4250 or something, then there's not really anything you can do because the limitation is simply on the raw processing power available.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/10789/
This is probably your best bet for getting some performance (disables shadows) without losing too much visual quality. It's only going to help indoors, and because it changes interior cells, you're likely to run into compatibility issues. Additionally does nothing for exteriors; you'll want to disable shadows generally for exteriors.

If disabling shadows doesn't help much, you're almost SOL short of the more extreme "low end" performance mod/INIs, which are often highly suspect. Changing iTexMipMapMinimum to =4 or =5 so everything looks super cartoony is kinda rad, though.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 20, 2015

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Kiggles posted:

really depends on the card. I had a 512 that ran OK, even modded up, I just had to run things through optimizer textures to keep vram usage down. If it is a low end card like a gt520, or ati 4250 or something, then there's not really anything you can do because the limitation is simply on the raw processing power available.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/10789/
This is probably your best bet for getting some performance (disables shadows) without losing too much visual quality. It's only going to help indoors, and because it changes interior cells, you're likely to run into compatibility issues. Additionally does nothing for exteriors; you'll want to disable shadows generally for exteriors.

If disabling shadows doesn't help much, you're almost SOL short of the more extreme "low end" performance mod/INIs, which are often highly suspect. Changing iTexMipMapMinimum to =4 or =5 so everything looks super cartoony is kinda rad, though.

Giving the texture optimizing thing a shot as well, making sure I'm backing up the original texture files first. The interior and cave fog/smoke made even my other video card chug (vram 1.75 gb), so I have remover mods for that. I'd have kept using that card instead if it didn't loving just blackscreen crash at seemingly random, not even always in games. Bought it off SAMart for $80 bucks and it was great until the crashing, and google suggested it was a common issue with that particular model.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So uh, how do I launch WryeBash through Mod Organizer? I can't seem to figure it out.

e: Nvm I figured it out.

e2: Another question. Anyone got any recs for mods that boost the difficulty? Particularly ones that do so through means other than just boosting enemy stats, like ASIS's letting enemies use potions thing.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 21, 2015

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

what's the deal with Duel - Combat Realism? i gather that the mod author is apparently a huge baby and the mod had some problems in the past, but i've heard otherwise its generally a decent combat mod nowadays--is that true?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

taiyoko posted:

Giving the texture optimizing thing a shot as well, making sure I'm backing up the original texture files first. The interior and cave fog/smoke made even my other video card chug (vram 1.75 gb), so I have remover mods for that. I'd have kept using that card instead if it didn't loving just blackscreen crash at seemingly random, not even always in games. Bought it off SAMart for $80 bucks and it was great until the crashing, and google suggested it was a common issue with that particular model.

I mean any card with half a gig of VRAM is likely going to suck, but it really depends on the card model.

the gt 740 and the gtx 970 both have 4 gigs of RAM, but the latter is literally 6 times more powerful than the former. (and even that's a poor abstraction, 6 times as powerful doesn't mean 6 times the frame rates. There's games you can't play on low on the 740 that you can play on ultra on the 970 @60fps.)

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 21, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I need this loving bear in my Skyrim

Anyone know what the name is?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I found it on Steam Workshop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFOU6ko17WY]

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the shadows on rocks look all weird and stripey, its poo poo, how me fix it?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Have mods gotten to the point where Skyrim combat isn't just meatwalls racing to empty each other's HP pools? I'm talking locational damage, learning how to time parries/blocks/bashes, and maybe dudes getting bisected so combat actually feels and looks engaging.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Have mods gotten to the point where Skyrim combat isn't just meatwalls racing to empty each other's HP pools? I'm talking locational damage, learning how to time parries/blocks/bashes, and maybe dudes getting bisected so combat actually feels and looks engaging.

Here's some big combat mods (pick one):

- Ultimate Combat

- Duel - Combat Realism

- Action Combat

The following can be installed alongside the big ones mentioned above:

- Combat Evolved

- Enhanced Enemy AI no scripts version

- Skyrim Swimming Enemies

I personally use Action Combat, Combat Evolved, Enhanced Enemey AI, and Swimming Enemies.

As for dismemberment, there's Deadly Mutilation, I don't use it so I can't say much about, but go for it if you want to dismember some dudes.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Do those combat mods work well with SkyRe?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

is Action Combat the choice to use if i want mechanics more akin to Dark Souls? it sounds like it would be with the poise system and all that, damage numbers aside.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

is Action Combat the choice to use if i want mechanics more akin to Dark Souls? it sounds like it would be with the poise system and all that, damage numbers aside.

Kinda.

Someone made a mod that changes it more to Dark Souls (including rolling dodges), but it's on :nws:Loverslab:nws:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

oh that's interesting, i might have to give that a try. thanks. :)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm using Deadly Combat or Action Combat, I forgot. It's a nice improvement without going too far into the dumb instant kill difficulty that a lot of the FNV/FO3 rebalances fell into.

I also grabbed dual wield parrying since I like being a spell knight and these mods made block actually worthwhile.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 23, 2015

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

so some mod i installed at some point is letting my skills level past 100, does SPERG do that or did I bone something up when installing the uncapper for SPERG?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

FirstPersonShitter posted:

so some mod i installed at some point is letting my skills level past 100, does SPERG do that or did I bone something up when installing the uncapper for SPERG?

The uncapper will definitely accomplish that (and I think the default ini file that comes with it has skills capped at 999 or something stupid). SPERG comes with its own ini for the uncapper and it sounds like it's not being properly applied.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

docbeard posted:

The uncapper will definitely accomplish that (and I think the default ini file that comes with it has skills capped at 999 or something stupid). SPERG comes with its own ini for the uncapper and it sounds like it's not being properly applied.

i'll try overwriting the regular ini with the one from sperg. i think it might be fucky cause i'm using mod organiser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FirstPersonShitter posted:

i'll try overwriting the regular ini with the one from sperg. i think it might be fucky cause i'm using mod organiser

Yeah, SPERG has it in the wrong directory for MO to recognize it. Just open SPERG in Explorer and fix its location. And make sure it's after the uncapper itself in MO's list.

• Locked thread