Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Shayu posted:

I have now completed not only Blood and SHADOW WARRIOR but also Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition. I felt Duke Nukem 3D was the least interesting, the most interesting being Blood because of how disturbed it made me become (I felt it was much in the way of horror movie like). I must critique Duke Nukem: 3D for its world. One level had a sushi restaurant that could only be entered by falling from a building. The exit involved blowing a hole in the wall in many areas. How could they of over looked this? I felt it was ridiculous. Have you ever went to a store by falling from a tall height? Next I must critique having to find buttons and keys, why can't I blow open a wall instead? I dislike searching for keys or buttons, switches, ect.. Well, now I will begin on the DOOM games.

Dude, skip DOOM and start playing ROTT right loving now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Mogomra posted:

Is It available conveniently on GOG or STEAM?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mogomra posted:

Literally the worst advice ever posted in this thread.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Shayu posted:

Is It available conveniently on GOG or STEAM?

It sure is!

Jordan7hm posted:

Literally the worst advice ever posted in this thread.

:ssh:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Luigi Thirty posted:

Duke 3D is so broken and janky that every time I decide to play it I remember a few levels in that it actively despises the player and give up going back to Doom or Quake or something more fun. The engine is a pile of trash and it's a miracle that any of it works.

I'm kind of suprised anyone would have this issue. unless you're deliberately looking, the base doesn't have many ways for you to get yourself killed by janky engine stuff.
Like, I know about it's bugs, but even as a kid I never ran into them.
(Just play the user maps though, the base game is all-around kinda bland)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Today's the day - blocked out some time and will sit down tonight with a six pack of beer and try Pirates Doom and maybe Adventures of Square. I love any sort of doom mod that really alters the presentation, so TCs are usually my favorite.

I remember digging the hell out of the batman mod and the Chosen egyptian mod too. And of course there's action doom and chex quest as well. I might go poking around doomworld and see what else folks recommend if Pirates Doom gives me the doom nostalgia I'm hoping for.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

What you should do instead is skip ROTT and instead play Doom but with ROTT music. Basically I'm saying play Hell Revealed.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Glagha posted:

What you should do instead is skip ROTT
What in the world? That's absolutely disgusting.

Glagha posted:

instead play Doom but with ROTT music.
This isn't a suitable replacement for paying ROTT, but it's a good suggestion. Not that Doom's soundtrack is bad.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Narcissus1916 posted:

Today's the day - blocked out some time and will sit down tonight with a six pack of beer and try Pirates Doom and maybe Adventures of Square. I love any sort of doom mod that really alters the presentation, so TCs are usually my favorite.

I remember digging the hell out of the batman mod and the Chosen egyptian mod too. And of course there's action doom and chex quest as well. I might go poking around doomworld and see what else folks recommend if Pirates Doom gives me the doom nostalgia I'm hoping for.

Pirate Doom is outstanding, so is Square, i hope you enjoy them

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Narcissus1916 posted:

Pirate Doom is the best.

Speaking of Jedi Knight user campaigns from earlier. Anyone remember one where you play as Han, go into some Gamorrean city, rescue Leia. I remember it being pretty good, but can't find it on Massassi Temple.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mogomra posted:

What in the world? That's absolutely disgusting.

Yes, terrible suggestion. True enlightenment can be found in William Shatner's Tekwar

:v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Shayu posted:

I dislike searching for keys or buttons, switches, ect.. Well, now I will begin on the DOOM games.

This might be :thejoke: but drat, man, you're in for an unpleasant surprise.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Keiya posted:

Quake, eh. If you didn't play it when it was new it's an interesting novelty but unlikely to become a favorite.

Also I want to compile the best 700 MiB of Doom goodness for a package that mimics those old level dump CDs but I'm way too lazy to sift through everything so I'd probably end up just tossing Reelism, Demonsteele, and a few high-quality mappacks on there and calling it good enough.

You mind listing your greatest mappacks ITT so we maybe can download them without waiting for you to experience a bust of motivation?

Shayu posted:

I have now completed not only Blood and SHADOW WARRIOR but also Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition. I felt Duke Nukem 3D was the least interesting, the most interesting being Blood because of how disturbed it made me become (I felt it was much in the way of horror movie like). I must critique Duke Nukem: 3D for its world. One level had a sushi restaurant that could only be entered by falling from a building. The exit involved blowing a hole in the wall in many areas. How could they of over looked this? I felt it was ridiculous. Have you ever went to a store by falling from a tall height? Next I must critique having to find buttons and keys, why can't I blow open a wall instead? I dislike searching for keys or buttons, switches, ect.. Well, now I will begin on the DOOM games.

I am amazed that anyone could be horrified by an obviously comedic game like Blood. :psyduck:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I think he was joking, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested ROTT. Come on people, this is The Something Awful™ Forums.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mogomra posted:

I think he was joking, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested ROTT. Come on people, this is The Something Awful™ Forums.

Uhhhhh, this is a comedy forum. There are no jokes here.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Klaus88 posted:

You mind listing your greatest mappacks ITT so we maybe can download them without waiting for you to experience a bust of motivation?

Figuring out the list IS the effort. I've only played maybe six or seven mappacks, I've just played the base game a couple dozen too many times.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

A friend of mine found out that Quake 2 has very legitimate staticmesh support, and you could actually build entire levels using meshes and clipping plane BSPs. Since Quake and Quake 2 are interchangeable map format wise, you can make most of the BSP in TrenchBroom and then place down meshes in Quark or something.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Keiya posted:

Figuring out the list IS the effort. I've only played maybe six or seven mappacks, I've just played the base game a couple dozen too many times.

Play more doom wads don't replay the original maps dozens of times.

to repeat what kmx said ... Pirate Doom and Adventures of Square are amazing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I might be in the minority, but I think Black Mesa might be the greatest FPS I've ever played. It's just so detailed and high quality. Though I do remember using some kind of mod to make the enemies have a lower reaction time.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

^^^ I've also preferred BMS to the original Half-Life, but I never liked it in the first place.

Shayu posted:

Next I must critique having to find buttons and keys, why can't I blow open a wall instead?

Try Red Faction. I don't like it, but maybe it will suit your taste. And if you want to concentrate more on fighting than switch hunting, go for the original Painkiller.

Also best part of ROTT are the shareware levels. You buy the full game to enjoy the jukebox full of Bobby Princes' music.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Split the difference between Doom and RoTT and play the Doom mod Return of the Triad. I honestly thought it felt like what RoTT should have been. Ditching the warmed-over Wolf 3D engine makes an enormous difference in atmosphere.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

david_a posted:

Split the difference between Doom and RoTT and play the Doom mod Return of the Triad. I honestly thought it felt like what RoTT should have been. Ditching the warmed-over Wolf 3D engine makes an enormous difference in atmosphere.

Holy poo poo, trying this so hard when I get home. :toot: Thanks!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Keiya posted:

Quake, eh. If you didn't play it when it was new it's an interesting novelty but unlikely to become a favorite.

Also I want to compile the best 700 MiB of Doom goodness for a package that mimics those old level dump CDs but I'm way too lazy to sift through everything so I'd probably end up just tossing Reelism, Demonsteele, and a few high-quality mappacks on there and calling it good enough.
Just a note that you'll probably want my update to the basketball arena, since it adds extra stuff to the sides to make things more interesting. It's slated to be rolled into the next Reelism bugfix, but honestly, I don't think X3.1 is buggy enough for me to expect X3.2 any time soon, so...

Klaus88 posted:

I am amazed that anyone could be horrified by an obviously comedic game like Blood. :psyduck:
I'm not. That game has a genuinely unsettling atmosphere. Things spawning at unexpected moments (at least the first time around, since it's all scripted), those creepy ghosts getting the jump on you with their extremely loud screams... It's definitely got a comedic bent to it, but that just augments the rest, it doesn't simply override it.

Of course, I also thought Doom's Episode 1 had a pretty scary atmosphere the first time I played through it, as did Duke 3D's second episode, and neither really faze me anymore largely due to familiarity (and kind of sucking, in the case of DN3D E2). I imagine Blood quickly goes the same way - in fact, I've played its Episode 1 frequently enough that, yeah, not really scared by that one anymore.

david_a posted:

This is admittedly probably not going to bother most people who play it, but for me, I'm really annoyed how easily you're screwed out of the "collect all the trinkets" bonuses - because not only can you can shoot down said trinkets (and they don't have a whole lot of health, so it doesn't take much to do so), but so can the enemies, and the level design frequently has trinkets placed between you and the enemies such that the AI will shoot down the things very frequently in their attempts to shoot you. Often times they'll do this without you even noticing, because your attention will be focused on another enemy at the time. Removing the trinket through shooting it like that doesn't increment the Items counter, either, so you might be missing one or two or twelve trinkets at the end of a map and be frantically running around looking for the last ones, but won't find them because they were shot down and thus aren't around to be collected - they won't even show on your automap.

I've never been officially diagnosed with OCD, but things like this make me wonder, sometimes.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 23, 2015

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

Pirate Doom is the best.

Speaking of Jedi Knight user campaigns from earlier. Anyone remember one where you play as Han, go into some Gamorrean city, rescue Leia. I remember it being pretty good, but can't find it on Massassi Temple.

This might be it. I stress the "might" though. Its by the guy who later went on to do the birth of a mercenary levels. http://tacc.massassi.net/levels/walkthrough.php?id=27

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Keiya posted:

This would actually be really cool as a novelty. You could even burn some CD labels and covers for jewel cases and do them up in the garish 90s CG that D!Zone and friends had.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

This could be a great "best-of" compilation of Doom stuff, both for newcomers and for folks who rebuild their old FPS folders. I for one have in plans making such thumb drive for myself, filled with creme de la creme of old 3D shootmans and levels for them, for whenever I get stuck with laptop for repairs or at work.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

laserghost posted:

This could be a great "best-of" compilation of Doom stuff, both for newcomers and for folks who rebuild their old FPS folders. I for one have in plans making such thumb drive for myself, filled with creme de la creme of old 3D shootmans and levels for them, for whenever I get stuck with laptop for repairs or at work.

Oh man, I'd love that; a ready-to-go best-of collection, all able to fit in almost any thumb drive ever.

The gig of Doom.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

david_a posted:

Yeah, this was really good. I felt like it ended rather abruptly though. Is there only like two levels or am I retarded?

Fake edit: I must have completely missed the second episode. Or maybe it just wasn't released when I tried it. Still completely possible that I'm just a retard though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Something like 15 700 MB CDs would be enough to hold the entirety of the idgames archive's stock of Doom and Doom II levels that aren't multiplayer only.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Keiya posted:

This is probably a good place to start.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Klaus88 posted:

I felt the acolytes that wore only their underwear were pitiable, they were the subject of so much displays of cruelty that I felt very bad for them and it caused pain in my heart. However, killing monsters, demons, aliens, ect. is not any cause for sympathy because they are evil and deserve their fate. Not only that but I felt the hands that choked your character were very frightening, mostly because I found no way to dislodge their grip without in the process bringing upon myself death. The ghosts that carried scythes and screamed also caused mild terror until I learned of their weakness, two buckshot as they came close and became vulnerable. After I learned of this, defeating them brought only tedium and not terror. The levels were filled with traps, also, which could easily result in a quick death, this also fostered a feeling of anxiousness while I navigated the levels.

I am easily frightened because of my gentle nature.

With the recent sale on STEAM I feel it would be prudent (and frugal) to capitalize on it and make a large purchase. I have already purchased the classic DOOM collection (which includes Final DOOM, DOOM II, Master Levels for Doom II (I am not a master but perhaps with practice I might overcome them), and Ultimate Doom), and the Quake Collection (QUAKE, QUAKE II, QUAKE II Mission Pack: Ground Zero, QUAKE II Mission Pack: The Reckoning, QUAKE II Arena, QUAKE III: Team Arena, QUAKE Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon, and QUAKE Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity). Are there any games I should also purchase while it is so affordable? Is Unreal Tournament a desirable purchase or is it a competitive shooting game, I have no interest in this.

Edit: Further purchase includes Strife, Hexen + Heretic Collection because of past recommendations.

I have taken your advice despite contradiction. :tipshat:

Shayu fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 23, 2015

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I've had good times with the botmatches in the various iterations of UT (including the original). I say this as a diehard "Quake guy" in the Quake-vs-Unreal wars... when it comes to objective-based gametypes the UT bots and stock maps are more fun IMO than the various Quake equivalents.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
That "best of" CD is actually sounding like a neat idea. There's 12 years worth of Cacowards to go through, which is probably a pretty good start. From there one can just go through idgames and sort by ratings to find the good stuff that's not in the cacowards.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Keiya posted:

When I was going through the old classics, I found Quake to be very playable and overall much more fun compared to any of the build engine games. I just don't 'get' Duke, Blood and the like, they feel too uneven, clumsy and janky compared to something like Quake, Doom and Unreal, those three games are so smooth and playable in comparison. Oh well, it was probably something I would have had to be around for at the time to appreciate.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Quake is basically Doom 1 with the ability to look and jump, for better or worse.

Duke 3D is a game that I like for about 6 of the shareware maps and then I'm sick of it. The custom maps for it are a bit better, but it just doesn't have the staying power for me to bother loading Duke + mod over anything else I could be doing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Turok runs on my work laptop that basically doesn't have a GPU. :woop:

On that note, anyone have an issue where the game runs at a resolution higher than the specified resolution and so only renders the top left of the screen?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Elliotw2 posted:

Duke 3D is a game that I like for about 6 of the shareware maps and then I'm sick of it. The custom maps for it are a bit better, but it just doesn't have the staying power for me to bother loading Duke + mod over anything else I could be doing.
I remember being pretty down on Duke 3D for a while - I loved the shareware episode, but the second episode was such a slog that by the time I reached episode 3 I couldn't muster the energy to actually go through it.

Then, many years later, I went back to it, starting from Episode 3, and had significantly more fun.

I guess the takeaway I had with it is that Duke is at its best when it's in real-world environments? That, or I hadn't yet noticed how a good third of Duke's arsenal was dedicated just to making things explode, and that the game is at its most fun when you're using explosives. Or maybe the takeaway is just that episode 2 sucks. :shrug:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Elliotw2 posted:

Quake is basically Doom 1 with the ability to look and jump, for better or worse.

Quake 1's true 3d and vertical-focused map design really helps it stand out from Doom. Being able to move around and shoot stuff in true 3D with Doom's speed and a very solid movement system is awesome.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone have a good keybinding setup for Duke 3D Megaton Edition? I'm using a 360 controller, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcturusDeluxe
May 15, 2006

I actually really like Duke 3D's second episode myself. It does get a bit dull towards the middle (I'm not a fan of Warp Factor, Fusion Station or Occupied Territory) but the start and end of the episode I find to be pretty strong. Dark Side is probably my favourite map in the game. Those trains going between the various level sections were the coolest poo poo ever.