Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

How could anyone be happy while being a cog in the machine that is the global capitalist system of oppression?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Burning Rain posted:

I've been writing, translating, editing, selling and promoting books (not at the same time). all good stuff for little money, but I'm not going to another field again. hth :)

i'm happy for you

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

But did you like it?

I'm not sure. It's well written and interesting but it's also very humorless. I'll have to read the rest of the book before I make a judgement but if it continues like the first hundred pages I'd say it's a good book but not for me. It's like if Jonathan Franzen wrote a Thomas Pynchon novel if that makes sense.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Burning Rain posted:

I've been writing, translating, editing, selling and promoting books (not at the same time). all good stuff for little money, but I'm not going to another field again. hth :)

how hard is it to get into translating? There's a French crime novelist I'm really into and I have a few of his books that don't have any existing English edition, I am planning to translate them as an exercise, but I was also thinking that if the results are good enough I might try to sell the translations to a publisher... the author himself is not hugely popular but also not hugely obscure and one of his books was recently "adapted" into a big budget movie with Sean Penn (it's a horrible movie that is nothing at all like the book.) I'm just saying there's some interest in the author.. 3 of the 4 English translations of his work that do exist are published in that really nice NYRB series and I think they do ok commercially. And the books are really loving good.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 22, 2015

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
the idea of translating sounds super cool and something I think I'd love to do if I wasnt an idiot monoglot.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Earwicker posted:

how hard is it to get into translating? There's a French crime novelist I'm really into and I have a few of his books that don't have any existing English edition, I am planning to translate them as an exercise, but I was also thinking that if the results are good enough I might try to sell the translations to a publisher...

You can just send out like two to five page samples of your translation to see if there's any interest. That's how they're generally picked up.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Ras Het is right, although I've generally done longer samples (around 3000 words). Do a couple, polish the hell out of them, then check in the 3% database to see which publishers might be interested in this kind of stuff (actually, might be worth doing this before beginning a translation) and fire it off along with a CV of some sort. Previously published translations even in magazines count for a lot more than almost any education though, so be sure to highlight them. If you don't have any, read some French literary mags/websites until you find a story you'd like to translate and offer it to a translation-focused English-language magazine/website to get some credentials going.

You can also get in touch with Institut Français - I'm sure they have a program to help translators from French. If nothing else, you might get an opportunity to participate in some sort of networking event, which would help with contacts/advice. If you get in a large-ish book fair, Gallic Books might also be worth getting in touch with (although they don't accept pitches from translators apparently). Generally you can just walk up to their place and start talking. Also, AmazonCrossing should be more open to new translators.

If the author is being published by NYRB, it's highly likely they have a plan and a translator for him already, however. I'd focus on a bit more obscure/niche stuff in the beginning, which would set you apart, as there must be quite a few established French -> English translators. For me it was pop-science translations that helped me break in the field, because I'd worked as a journalist for a few years, doing science pieces among other things. I still had to do a few lovely diet/new age books not to starve when I first switched to translating full time, but I managed to smuggle some stuff of my choice in there, and now it's gotten much easier.

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 22, 2015

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Zesty Mordant posted:

the idea of translating sounds super cool and something I think I'd love to do if I wasnt an idiot monoglot.

Try to learn a new language it's difficult byt v rewarding

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

STupid babies that don't even have theory of mind can learn languages, and you can too!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mallamp posted:

But whole concept of jobs is to do bullshit so you can spend some time not doing bullshit while others do their share of bullshit
Like, take teaching for example, I'd love teaching in theory but in practice no one gives about poo poo about things you teach so the theoretical good job turns i to bullshit. If some job was fun people would do it for free (sex)

Edit: of course you don't pick literal opposite of your comfort zone, but lit degree vs. business degree into chill office job isn't that big of a leap
I agree but that's possibly just because I'm a lawyer so

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

CestMoi posted:

Try to learn a new language it's difficult byt v rewarding

I originally took a semester of French because I was required to take a language, and I wanted to read more Agota Kristof (though I suppose I may have been making a big assumption that her books would even be in print in French) Except I realized I hated French.

Then I took Japanese. I liked Japanese grammatical structures. Then I switched to Spanish because it complements my life choices better, but I find it less interesting. If I had enough time to take Japanese at the same time I would though.

Language rocks and everyone should take a language or three.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I translate two languages into a third one for a meagre living

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Ras Het posted:

I translate two languages into a third one for a meagre living

The best kind of living!

(which languages?)

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

The best kind of living!

(which languages?)

English and Portuguese into Finnish, but I'm in subtitling i.e. the salt mines

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Luminaries is kinda boring so far

But the audiobook of A Little Life is fantastic.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 22, 2015

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

If you think Dickens is poo poo you won't like Luminaries, I got the same comfy vibe from it

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Ras Het posted:

English and Portuguese into Finnish, but I'm in subtitling i.e. the salt mines

an acquintance of mine was doing it for a bit, and she was always looking for more subtitling b/c it paid more than straight-up translating. maybe it's cuz the company was based in the uk and it paid low uk wages, which is a lot in latvia. anyway, if you want to move into doing books or magazines, it's golden for your cv

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Burning Rain posted:

Ras Het is right, although I've generally done longer samples (around 3000 words). Do a couple, polish the hell out of them, then check in the 3% database to see which publishers might be interested in this kind of stuff (actually, might be worth doing this before beginning a translation) and fire it off along with a CV of some sort. Previously published translations even in magazines count for a lot more than almost any education though, so be sure to highlight them. If you don't have any, read some French literary mags/websites until you find a story you'd like to translate and offer it to a translation-focused English-language magazine/website to get some credentials going.

You can also get in touch with Institut Français - I'm sure they have a program to help translators from French. If nothing else, you might get an opportunity to participate in some sort of networking event, which would help with contacts/advice. If you get in a large-ish book fair, Gallic Books might also be worth getting in touch with (although they don't accept pitches from translators apparently). Generally you can just walk up to their place and start talking. Also, AmazonCrossing should be more open to new translators.

If the author is being published by NYRB, it's highly likely they have a plan and a translator for him already, however. I'd focus on a bit more obscure/niche stuff in the beginning, which would set you apart, as there must be quite a few established French -> English translators. For me it was pop-science translations that helped me break in the field, because I'd worked as a journalist for a few years, doing science pieces among other things. I still had to do a few lovely diet/new age books not to starve when I first switched to translating full time, but I managed to smuggle some stuff of my choice in there, and now it's gotten much easier.

Thanks for the info!

Actually I misremembered and only 2 of the 4 books of his that have been translated are published by NYRB, the others are City Lights in the US and Serpent's Tail in the UK (same translator but I don't know who got the rights first). In any case I was planning to go for this particular author first more as an exercise than anything else but just thought I might see about selling the stuff if I can do a good job with it.. I'm sure you are right that there are a lot of established French -> English translators already. It's not something I'm looking to do full time, I just thought it might be fun and a way to make a couple extra bucks from time to time.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

an acquintance of mine was doing it for a bit, and she was always looking for more subtitling b/c it paid more than straight-up translating. maybe it's cuz the company was based in the uk and it paid low uk wages, which is a lot in latvia. anyway, if you want to move into doing books or magazines, it's golden for your cv

Yeah no my job is fine, just that most subtitlers are severely underpaid freelancers, and churning through 58 episodes of Trick My Truck isn't exactly Chapman's Homer

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Earwicker posted:

Thanks for the info!

Actually I misremembered and only 2 of the 4 books of his that have been translated are published by NYRB, the others are City Lights in the US and Serpent's Tail in the UK (same translator but I don't know who got the rights first). In any case I was planning to go for this particular author first more as an exercise than anything else but just thought I might see about selling the stuff if I can do a good job with it.. I'm sure you are right that there are a lot of established French -> English translators already. It's not something I'm looking to do full time, I just thought it might be fun and a way to make a couple extra bucks from time to time.

well, you can have a look at magazines/websites anyway. maybe he has done some short stories or something. it'll give you a taste of doing translations, improve your language and might be good for the future. they probably won't pay you though - not in the beginning at least.

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 22, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Okay guys there is an entire subforum for this. Creative convention.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Burning Rain posted:

well, you can have a look at magazines/websites anyway. maybe he has done some short stories or something. it'll give you a taste of doing translations, improve your language and might be good for the future. they probably won't pay you though - not in the beginning at least.

Translating is both really fun & cool for improving your writing. EVerything I write is really bad, but it's a lot better than it could be if I hadn't spent like a month desperately trying to come up with a translation of Sensation by Rimbaud that didn't sound terrible.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

blue squares posted:

Okay guys there is an entire subforum for this. Creative convention.

oh for sure man, we can't have an actually interesting discussion going on in here.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oh hey, book forum hipsters :v:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

-Troika- posted:

If a hipster is someone who likes different things than you, then who isn't a hipster?

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

If a hipster is someone who likes different things than you, then who isn't a hipster?
Everyone outside your bubble of course

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

-Troika- posted:

Hey now only some of us like Calvino

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Calvino is pretty goony though.. Real hipsters would read something like Tao Lin before he was popular, Infinite Jest the year it came out (but so over it now), random quirky poetry by 19-year-old girls who got accpeted to lit magazines, Lydia Davis and stuff like that

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mallamp posted:

Calvino is pretty goony though.. Real hipsters would read something like Tao Lin before he was popular,

its pretty hard to get goonier than "Tao Lin before he was popular" considering he is literally a goon who posted in this very forum trying to promote his books, before he was popular.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Calvino owns gently caress you

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Is he popular though? I have literally never seen his name mentioned outside of internet forums, usually with people bitching about him. Can you even go in a reasonably sized bookshop and expect to find Tao Lin's books there?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Burning Rain posted:

Is he popular though? I have literally never seen his name mentioned outside of internet forums, usually with people bitching about him.

This probably says more about you than it does about Calvino. He's obviously not a current bestselling author but he has remained consistently popular and influential on the literary side of things for quite some time, his books are frequently taught in college courses and recommended by other famous authors etc. especially Invisible Cities and If On A Winter's Night A Traveller

quote:

Can you even go in a reasonably sized bookshop and expect to find Tao Lin's books there?

Yes. Taipei in particular is pretty easy to find.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Earwicker posted:

This probably says more about you than it does about Calvino. He's obviously not a current bestselling author but he has remained consistently popular and influential on the literary side of things for quite some time, his books are frequently taught in college courses and recommended by other famous authors etc. especially Invisible Cities and If On A Winter's Night A Traveller

I think he was talking about Tao Lin there

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

oh I see. I mean he's not popular in a household name kind of way but he gets a decent amount of media attention from mainstream sources and some of his books do pretty well, in the context of their particular category

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Huh, interesting to know, thanks (yes, I meant Tao Lin)

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Can we ignore the literal idiot's opinions about Calvino and forums user mallamp

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So I had to stop listening to the audiobook of A Little Life and buy a hardcover instead, because while the narrator of the audiobook is so drat good, I hear the book gets pretty emotionally intense later on, and I don't feel like crying while running and listening to a book. So my new audio book is the first of Elena Ferrante's 4-part series of "Neapolitan Novels." It's great. The prologue is a very interesting mystery and the first childhood scene, with the rock throwing, is a twist on a classic male youth story. Anyone else read any of these? I think it might be the first Italian novel I have read. I've been to Naples, where it is set, which is cool.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

Is he popular though? I have literally never seen his name mentioned outside of internet forums, usually with people bitching about him. Can you even go in a reasonably sized bookshop and expect to find Tao Lin's books there?

My Barnes and Noble had Taipei and Eeeeee last year when I went to buy them.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Was he the Hemingway for the hipster age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Was he the Hemingway for the hipster age?

That's Hemingway