Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
I thought Adam Driver gave a great performance in the mask, but the dude's skull is just working against him. He is a very silly looking person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

You guys know there's two more movies with kylo ren in them right

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

turtlecrunch posted:

Is there any evidence that he had a genuine vision and that he isn't just out of his mind and having "visions" created by said mind instead of by the Force?

That is certainly very possible. He's so desperate to be like Vader that he could just be constructing his "interactions" with Vader out of longing rather than actual "divine" inspiration.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

turtlecrunch posted:

Is there any evidence that he had a genuine vision and that he isn't just out of his mind and having "visions" created by said mind instead of by the Force?

There are no coincidences in star wars

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Smoking Crow posted:

There are no coincidences in star wars

What's this supposed to mean? What are you referring to? Because there are ways for Kylo Ren to get all hyped up about Vader that do not require a Force-provided vision.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Terrible Horse posted:

I thought Adam Driver gave a great performance in the mask, but the dude's skull is just working against him. He is a very silly looking person.

I actually like that; his maskless appearance betrays his determination to be an evil man. He doesn't look like Baked Potato Vader or Monster Mash Palp because he simply isn't them. When he has no mask you can totally believe that he's Han's son, more intellectual rogue than emotional husk.

This is also why I like that the next big life event for him after killing his father is getting horrifically mangled

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

I actually like that; his maskless appearance betrays his determination to be an evil man. He doesn't look like Baked Potato Vader or Monster Mash Palp because he simply isn't them. When he has no mask you can totally believe that he's Han's son, more intellectual rogue than emotional husk.

This is also why I like that the next big life event for him after killing his father is getting horrifically mangled

I thought about that, but if that was the intent, wouldn't it make sense to go with someone who looks innocent/cherubic/more "son-like"? Driver looks like a living Mike Judge cartoon or something.

But really this was only when he first unmasked himself, and only for a second. Driver's performance was good enough to recover. And the movie overall was just really fun - I saw it today, a week after release to a half-full theater at noon, and people were clearly enjoying the hell out of it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

He asked to be shown something again. I've forgotten the last line. Guess I'll have to watch it yet again. What a pain.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

turtlecrunch posted:

What's this supposed to mean? What are you referring to? Because there are ways for Kylo Ren to get all hyped up about Vader that do not require a Force-provided vision.

Star Wars isn't a secular story. It's an intensely religious story. Everything in
Star Wars is the will of the Force

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I haven't encountered that before, unless you just mean the infamous Nazi salute.

We should be very specific: the recurring imagery in the film is not just of a hand, but a red hand - "you probably don't recognize me because of my red arm". That's communism: the red hand of the worker, also represented as a red, five-pointed star.

The superweapon in Force Awakens is specifically a device that - through the work of the stormtroopers, they underline - converts the 'natural' sun into this aggressive, red, hand-star.

A literal Red Dawn.
Fascism has always adopted symbols of the worker as part of its goal of positioning itself as the "third way" that rejects pure communism and capitalism in favor of a synthesis of the two. Recall that the initial success of the Nazi Party relied on its appeal as the workingman's party of the right, opposed to degenerate leftists and the aristocracy. The Night of the Long Knives was a purge of the party's labor-oriented left wing. The party even had a paramilitary labor service, the Reichsarbeitsdienst, that had as its mission the militarization and indoctrination of the working class and the support of the military's construction and infrastructure needs.

All this is to say that the imagery and political situation of the film does not necessarily paint the First Order as leftist at all.

Further, Kylo Ren's personal struggle contains a number of allusions to the Dark Enlightenment, with its "rediscovery" of forbidden esoteric knowledge and explicit rejection of the light.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

The only time Vader is pathetic is at the end of his duel with Luke in Jedi, though?

There is, in fact, an entire thread throughout the first three episodes in this film series about Anakin being pitiable and pathetic.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bongo Bill posted:

He asked to be shown something again. I've forgotten the last line. Guess I'll have to watch it yet again. What a pain.

The power of the dark side is what he asked to be shown again.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I take that back, the current star wars is a spiritual story

Star wars: the spiritual, but not religious chick of movies

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neurolimal posted:

If nothing else, the fact that TFA has already inspired so much debate on its message, place and relation to the PT and OT, and interest in EU explanations of new creations suggests that, at the very least, it's more than just "a forgettable 2010's reboot".

It's more that people are struggling to come up with interesting things in the film, and have already nearly exhausted the supply.

Dexter Jettster is hugely controversial. Darth Maul has fascinated people for years.

Nobody gives a poo poo about, uh, the guy on the horse. Or blue rat guy? Even Ackbar is stripped of his dignity.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

Kylo has several threatening moments and he's only been in one movie, compared to Anakin's 6.

Kylo has :airquote: several :airquote: :airquote: threatening moments :airquote:.

Vader has legitimate threatening moments. You can keep alleging that Kylo has threatening moments, but all you're doing is citing the times he fails to be a legitimate threat.

If the second movie pulls off him getting decent at being a bad guy, I'll be happy, but my primary response will be "where was this a movie ago?"

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 23, 2015

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

There is, in fact, an entire thread throughout the first three episodes in this film series about Anakin being pitiable and pathetic.

And if you reject the PT, there's also the scene where Vader is getting his lifr support installed, composed in a way where Vader is shown as intensely vulnerable and closed off from Tarkin, the closest thing he has left to a friend. There's also the unrestrained outright murder of a moff for daring to crack wise about his power (both showing that Vader is not treated as a respected ally by the Empire, and a crack in his normally managed temper), and his failure to kill Luke because of his emotional investment.

Assuming you are capable of recognizing nuance and emotion, there are plent of scenes where Vader comes across as a broken individual before ROTJ.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dexter Jettster is hugely controversial. Darth Maul has fascinated people for years.

Having bad things in a movie does not make the movie interesting stop this.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

It's more that people are struggling to come up with interesting things in the film, and have already nearly exhausted the supply.

Nobody gives a poo poo about, uh, the guy on the horse. Or blue rat guy? Even Ackbar is stripped of his dignity.

Stripped of his followers, the once proud SMG resorts to raw flame to assert control over his subjects, A Good Post

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

MisterBibs posted:

Kylo has :airquote: several :airquote: :airquote: threatening moments :airquote:.

Vader has legitimate threatening moments.

If the second movie pulls off him getting decent at being a bad guy, I'll be happy, but my primary response will be "where was this a movie ago?"

You aren't even bothering to justify your argument by illustrating your points anymore. Why should we take your opinion seriously if your entire viewpoint is "no he's not yes he is la la la i'm not listening"?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Why should we take your opinion seriously if your entire viewpoint is "no he's not yes he is la la la i'm not listening"?

You are aware that there's a side in this discussion trying to paint Kylo as threatening? "Actually Kylo Is Threatening" is on par with "Actually It's About Ethics In X", as far as supportable theses are concerned.

E: vvv I, for one, promise to be afraid when a dude with a laser sword has a hissy fit on a computer terminal in front of me. Fer shure.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 23, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MisterBibs posted:

You are aware that there's a side in this discussion trying to paint Kylo as threatening? "Actually Kylo Is Threatening" is on par with "Actually It's About Ethics In X", as far as supportable theses are concerned.

Threatening in a way that you don't believe to be threatening because you've never been exposed to fiction or the real world.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

MisterBibs posted:

:captainpop:

did you try to bring gamergate into this just to make your point sound like it the victim?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I thought this movie was pretty good. Some elements were a little too overly referential to the original trilogy, but overall I think it hit the right notes. I think it also brought to light how it's not very hard to make a good Star Wars movie, and how the prequels failed in every way imaginable. A couple space battles, some galactic intrigue, some romance, a little space magic. Easy stuff. Anyway not gonna read any posts made prior to this one or after it, I have a premonition of what darkness awaits. You could say, I sense it.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

You are aware that there's a side in this discussion trying to paint Kylo as threatening? "Actually Kylo Is Threatening" is on par with "Actually It's About Ethics In X", as far as supportable theses.

It's not like that at all, lol.

Kylo is shown to be an unstable person with clear rage issues who orders a village to be executed. Wow what a pansy, how could anyone take this guy seriously.

Best part of the movie by the way is learning that Harrison Ford still has blood in his veins. This was like the anti-Firewall

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
MisterBibs is the Kylo Ren of this thread

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

team overhead smash posted:

He's the main antagonist of this movie and will almost certainly be the main antagonist or one of the main antagonists of the next one. A primary purpose of the antagonist is to represent a threat to the actions, ideals and plans of the protagonists that they have to somehow overcome, helping to create a sense of tension and danger.

Ok, after reading all of your responses, it's pretty clear that you don't really understand Kylo Ren as a character and refuse to see that anything he does as even remotely intimidating in any way for some reason. Previously you said:

team overhead smash posted:

I mean you're really scrapping the bottom of the battle here. You're having to point to things that don't actually take place in the movie or its timeframe with the killing of Luke's students and even then you mischaracterise it (he didn't do it singlehandedly, we see in the flashback him with a group of other dudes backing him up at the Jedi Lightsaber Massacre). Not only that but you again fall back on the response of "but look how aggressive and angry he is" and fail to answer my question of "Okay, but what does he actually accomplish with his anger in the movie besides slashing some poor innocent computer monitors and an old unarmed man who wasn't posing a threat?"

Scraping at the bottom? Really? Ben was the one who led the revolt. Don't be pedantic. He's solely responsible for the downfall of Luke's attempt to bring the Jedi Order back; he's the one to turned to the dark side, and then rallied others to his cause. And I did answer your question regarding what he accomplishes with his anger and rage while on a warpath to find Luke. As have others in the past couple pages—please read them to gain a better understanding if you haven't already. That said, some examples pointed out were giving the order to slaughter an entire village after killing who we can assume with the village leader (who also appeared to have some kind of history with Ben), realizing that BB-8 was important in the first place, taking Poe prisoner and torturing that information out of him, subduing Rey and capturing her with relative ease which led him to find out that she's Force sensitive and come on, Ben killing his own father makes him a credible threat. You're heavily underplaying the significance to of Han's death at the hands of his own son and how it characterizes Kylo Ren as a goddamn monster.

Let me ask this question again: would you say a mentally unstable individual armed with an assault rifle and hand grenades, who just so happens to have no problem with killing people (even his own kin), taking hostages and is on a war path to find another family member to kill them, is in any way an unthreatening individual?

[edit] I think anyone who feels like Kylo Ren wasn't effective or intimidating as a villain is because he's played by Adam Driver. Likely a desired effect. He's a guy who looks non-threatening without the mask and throws tantrums, but he'll kill you and your family if you make fun of him. Wow that guy is a pussy, am I right?

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 23, 2015

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I took my five year old son to the movie. Before the movie his favourite character was Kylo Ren. Afterwards I asked him who his favourite character is and he said "still Kylo Ren". I asked him if he did any bad things. He said: 'yes he killed his father Han Solo'. I asked him that he knows Han Solo is my favourite character right? He said 'Yes! I know that'. Then I realised this is a weird movie as a father to take your son to. Especially when Kylo is their favourite character and they have no issue with him killing his father.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neurolimal posted:

Same cant be said for Total Recall and Robocop :v:

The same could definitely be said for Robocop 2014. Star Wars fans are uniquely hung up.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cyron posted:

:captainpop:

did you try to bring gmergate into this just to make your point sound like it the victim?

Not really, it's just the easiest analogy I could think of when it comes to "Why are you laughing at this, this is Serious and Threatening and Scary!" Not my fault if I'm not buying that Kylo is threatening.

I could've referenced SCP articles for their penchant of trying to convince readers that they are ~totally spooky~, just as some here want me to believe Kylo Ren is ~totally threatening~. Nope, not possible given the movie we got. The only blemish on what otherwise a great movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wank posted:

I took my five year old son to the movie. Before the movie his favourite character was Kylo Ren. Afterwards I asked him who his favourite character is and he said "still Kylo Ren". I asked him if he did any bad things. He said: 'yes he killed his father Han Solo'. I asked him that he knows Han Solo is my favourite character right? He said 'Yes! I know that'. Then I realised this is a weird movie as a father to take your son to. Especially when Kylo is their favourite character and they have no issue with him killing his father.

I would not send that boy to train with your brother in law is all I'm saying.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Zodack posted:

MisterBibs is the Kylo Ren of this thread
I don't find MisterBibs that threatening. :colbert:

Now Palpatine in ROTJ scared the hell out of me as a kid. I think that's part of why I've always preferred him to Vader as a villain, much as I do like Vader in his own right.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

I don't find MisterBibs that threatening. :colbert:

Now Palpatine in ROTJ scared the hell out of me as a kid. I think that's part of why I've always preferred him to Vader as a villain, much as I do like Vader in his own right.

Vader on Cloud City and in Luke's cave vision scared the poo poo out of me as a kid too.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Terrible Horse posted:

Best part of the movie by the way is learning that Harrison Ford still has blood in his veins. This was like the anti-Firewall

I know, right? The difference between TFA Ford and "part-time." Crystal Skull Ford is like day and night.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Terrible Horse posted:

Vader on Cloud City and in Luke's cave vision scared the poo poo out of me as a kid too.

Yeah these two moments are legit scary.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

Not really, it's just the easiest analogy I could think of when it comes to "Why are you laughing at this, this is Serious and Threatening and Scary!" Not my fault if I'm not buying that Kylo is threatening.

I could've referenced SCP articles for their penchant of trying to convince readers that they are ~totally spooky~, just as some here want me to believe Kylo Ren is ~totally threatening~. Nope, not possible given the movie we got. The only blemish on what otherwise a great movie.

Y'know, you're perfectly entitled to your opinion, but belittling those who actually watched and engaged with the film (y'know, with your shittyass Gamergate comparison) is really loving dumb. Maybe you personally are not threatened by Kylo Ren. That's fine. But the characters in the film clearly are; and there's plenty of in-movie nuance and reason why.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

elestupendojudio posted:

Honestly and truly, I'm not just loving around, but in that scene I thought it was sweat. Still looks like sweat to me. We should call George and ask what the best interpretation is.

It's fair to see it both ways. It only moves as he moves his head. It's glistening in the light, not falling from his eye. I think it's probably just sweat. On the other hand this is just rain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjIDrG-MQsc&t=60s

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The same could definitely be said for Robocop 2014. Star Wars fans are uniquely hung up.

I wouldn't call myself a star wars fan; I like the originals, I like the worldbuilding of the prequels (just not the prequels themselves), and loved TFA, but I don't actively seek SW stuff.

I just felt that Robocop 14 only had two memorable things; the deconstruction scene where Murph is shown just how little of his humanity is left, and the notion of an AI/manipulated mind that can believe it is free and acts of its own accord, but "naturally" ends up carrying out its orders. Outsids of that the film just doesn't have much longevity and isn't going to survive the test of time like the original has.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

jivjov posted:

Maybe you personally are not threatened by Kylo Ren. That's fine.

They're entitled to their opinion, but it's our job as goons to point out just how wrong they are.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I flew an hour to see this movie in a VIP theatre and I was worried it wouldn't by worth it, but it was totally worth it, and if you don't like this movie, on the balance, you're basically a horrible person who hates fun.

There are a few pacing issues I didn't care for, but this was every bit as good a movie as ANH. Makes me wonder how good the prequels could've been with competent writing and direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

teagone posted:

They're entitled to their opinion, but it's our job as goons to point out just how wrong they are.

We've been trying that tactic for a couple pages now; and its not working. "Here's some literal textual evidence of this character being threatening" "NOPE, NO THREAT THERE!"

• Locked thread